closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: G10 numbers issued to each of the services Question?

G10 numbers issued to each of the services Question?

I have been looking at the CWC G10 Quartz watches (thin cases) recently.
    I have noticed that you see plenty of watches marked up as W10 for the army, next in line seems to be the G10 watches marked as 0552 (Navy), but I have hardly seen any watches marked up to the Marines 0555(which all seem to be issued in 1995) and only seen one marked to the RAF 6BB from 1984.

1) Is the G10 issued to all members of the armed forces equally?

2) Is there any reason why you see fewer G10s marked with 0555 or 6B?

3) Is it the fact that as there is also a Divers Quartz CWC watch, the reason why you see fewer G10s for the Marines and Chronographs are issued to pliots, so you see fewer G10s marked a 6B?

4) My final question is does the non luminous G10s with date for submarine crew ever turn up on the market, as I have never seen one for sale? I have only seen the example in Konrad Knirim, fantastic book on British Military Timepieces, which I am reading from cover to cover. (Does anybody have a clear picture of the Non Lume sub caseback?)

Sorry for all the questions but I would love to learn the answers to these questions.

Thank you in advance..

Neal

Craftsman

Re: G10 numbers issued to each of the services Question?

Neal,

I will attempt to answer your questions, but these are my opinions, not substantiated in anyway.

1. No.

2. G10's are requisitioned for specific needs. I think its fair to say that the Army needs more than the RN/RM or RAF.

3. If you are going to get seriously wet (from any service) then I'm sure you would be issued with a divers watch. The G10 is a field watch so more of a soldier's watch. I don't know who would qualify for a G10 in the RAF. Perhaps the RAF Regiment or key operational ground personnel.

4. I've seen one non-luminous G10 in about 6 years of looking on the internet so they are out there but very rare.

Those in the military often say that most watches are kept in stores and get signed out to non-combat mates, sort of who you know and not what you do type of situation. Also I'm lead to believe that most soldiers have a preference for G-Shocks and the like and a G10 means nothing to them.

Terry

Not sure if this helps
    1 definately no

2 All current issue G10s are marked W10 now as all are on a tri service procurement and the Army seems to be in charge of the G10s for some reason(these are the battery hatch models as the CWC G10 2000 with the Luminova and date is no longer on issue once the present stock is used up- these were 6b marked)

3 Only the navs are officialy issued with the chronos and the rest including the pilots get the G10s Never seen any ground trades with an issue watch except the guy in stores!!

4 Sorry pass on that one.

Cheers

Peter

Craftsman

Thanks for the input Peter, nothing like getting current information to keep us desk soldiers/sailors/fliers fed. I saw a RAF C-130 crew member in Brunei about 5 years ago wearing a G10. The aircraft was returning from East Timor. I assumed the guy with the G10 was ground-crew or a load-master. I would not have thought that pilots would only get a G10.

Keep us posted with real info when you can please.

Terry

Thank you so much for the information guys, that has really helped me in my quest for answers.