closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Post-service run in period ?

Master

Post-service run in period ?

After my various posts re Seamaster back from Brendan Hoey service, what is the concensus with regard to whether watches require a run-in period after service ?

My SMP was running around +12s p/d pre-service and, although have not properly checked, have a nasty feeling that it's now running slow, I daren't do a proper check just yet, was thinking of giving it a week of daily wear to see if it settles down.

Any opinions on this or first-hand experience of the Cal. 1120 SMP would be appreciated.

Gomers

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Re: Post-service run in period ?

IMO a watch should be within spec straight from service, after all regulation is part of the service.

cheers
    mike :wink:

Master

There is no such thing as a run in period in my experience. Watches will slow down with time as lubrication evaporates and dries out until a new service is needed. Shock and magnetism have far more influence over the running of the watch if it was properly timed and adjusted in first place.

Agreed - run in time should not be needed.

Check it against an accurate clock suggest start and end of day while worn and then overnight while not worn.

Although run-in time is often derided as a myth, it happens nonetheless. The ETA2824 I have fitted to my watches are timed on a timing machine to run, on average, 20 seconds a day fast "out of the box". It is a fact that this rate slows by a few seconds a day over a period of just a few weeks. Now whether a watch which has already been run-in doesn't need to be run-in again following a service, it's something I haven't studied.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Breitling told me that it can take a couple of weeks for my Chrono Avenger to settle into running at acceptable levels and they were completely right, if I remember it took about two or three weeks to settle down.
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Master

Shouldn't the timekeeping be checked by the repairer after the service and before return?

Master

I am sure a run-in period is needed for a new movement, or for movements with new components.

You should not need a run-in period for a movement that is already run-in, and has only been serviced.

Pete

Grand Master

i would say the timing on the bench and the timing on the wrist can be two different things, give it a week to bed down and then if its beyond acceptable levels, back to the servicer.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I have previously found when buying new and therefore it is my opinion rather than fact that watches left for a while in stock and not run take a little time to settle - but all my Chronometer watches that have come back from a service were running within COSC, one a little slow - now when I send a watch for service I state I don't mind if it runs slightly fast - but I don't want it to run slow.
    It's just a matter of time...

I always give a watch at least a days running after service before attempting proper regulation.
    The standard method of lubrication for some parts (mainspring for example) involve applying small lines of lube that get distributed properly to the inaccessible areas during initial use. If I put a movement on the analyser immediately after servicing the results will be significantly different from those achieved after a couple of power cycles have distributed the lube properly.

Master

GeoffD,

When are you available to sort my Seamaster please ? :wink: Only half joking !

Won't be as bad as the Ti one I finished a service on today. Catch was broken as well as the wear and tear, even the Sapphire was scratched!
    (Click on the thumbnails for the original images)

After some tlc