closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega repair Seamaster Chrono - ball park figures?

Omega repair Seamaster Chrono - ball park figures?

Hi folks

Sorry if this is the wrong place to do this but before I ring STS/Omega for a quote I thought I would ask here.

I just bought a Seamaster Chronograph 300 from Ebay which has arrived with faults.

1. The bezel spins rather than click stops although if you press down the bezel can catch the click mechanism and turn properly. Let go and it spins both ways again.

2. The crown doesn't screw in properly, rather it over turns and pops out again, so this needs fixing for sure

3. The sapphire has 2 tiny scratches on it but these are not show stoppers.

The thing is that it came with an absolute full set of documents and is otherwise a damn nice watch. The seller doesn't want to refund me so I have got Paypal involved but the thing is I'm wondering if it might be better to ask for a partial refund and get it fixed? Hence the post, does anyone have a ballpark figure for repair? I am thinking £300 minimum but this is a guess. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Roy

Re: Omega repair Seamaster Chrono - ball park figures?

Make the phone call.

However I suspect until Omega see it you won't know the cost for sure.

Master

Roughly £350 for a chrono service from Omega, if I recall. That's for a straight service however, not sure if they's rectify all matters as part of routine even though they should.

590 Swiss francs or roughly £366 in real money. If the bezel needs replacing then more.

All Omega prices are on the link below. STS (Swiss TIme Services) will quote you exactly the same figure, same goes for your local AD.

http://www.omegawatches.com/customer-se ... air-prices

Cheers,
    Gary

Master
    Blog Entries

Bezel problem is common and fixable once you can pop the old bezel off. Sounds like the crown or crown tube is stripped off threads. Sapphire glasses are sourceable BUT are usually expensive for Omega.

Regs

Bry

Master
    Blog Entries

Hi Roy,

Have you got the case number please?

Regs

Bry

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary
    590 Swiss francs or roughly £366 in real money.
    These days I'd more readily call the Swiss Franc 'real money' versus the Pound. The Swiss Central Bank is actually spending money to prevent it from appreciating! =P

Master
    Blog Entries

I would think around £150 would be enough for the work.

The sapphire is around £50.

Regs

Bry

Prices on Omega spares have shot up over the last year.
    A crown for that style of watch was around £13 trade cost last summer and is now around £25 before vat and delivery, tubes were about £5 inclusive before the price increases.
    Omega Sapphires of that size were £135 inc vat but if the one you need is new stock you are looking at around £180 inc vat.
    If you can find someone with old stock selling at the original price you can save a small fortune.

Master
    Blog Entries

Yup it depends where you source the Omega sapphire from as you mentioned yourself Geoff.

Have sent you an email by the way.

Regs

Bry

Grand Master

I bought a Seamaster pro 4 years back with a damaged crown & tube. My local watchman fixed it for £57 but obviously things will have gone up since. I reckon you're better taking it to an independent repairer rather than Omega. STS should be OK, but not the cheapest.

I`d be really annoyed with the seller on this one; the faults you describe are obvious ones and he clearly knew about them when he sold it. Always worth asking the seller specific questions about this type of watch (ie does the crown screw down properly/does the bezel work correctly), many sellers are reluctant to tell a lie when asked directly; they either describe the fault or they don`t reply.....which tells its own story.

Maybe a partial refund from the seller to go some way towards the repair costs would be the best outcome? These are the type of faults that can be completely fixed....it's all about the cost IMO.

Paul

Master
    Blog Entries

I think you should ask for a partial refund say £100 at least obviously depends how much you paid for the watch.

Regs

Bry

Thanks for the input guys it is appreciated. I will get a quote for repair from Omega UK and from somewhere smaller as well. I am hoping the seller will pay for the repair but if not then Paypal always side with the repairer in these cases and I will get a refund. I have to be quick though - I have 10 days to get a quote to them.

If anyone can recommend a decent Omega shop who can give a very quick quote that would be very handy!

Roy