closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CWC/MWC

Master

CWC/MWC

What is the relationship between CWC and MWC?

I ask because I bought a MWC black PVD diver's watch on eBay for $66. I thought it was great until I opened the back and saw the word "China" on the 0 jewel quartz movement. MWC carefully told me that these watches are assembled and tested at their factory in Switzerland, so it seems that the Chinese are assembling the movements from Swiss parts and then shipping them back to Switzerland?!

Back to the point - I promptly resold the watch on eBay, but while researching an asking price, I looked for CWC and there was an absolutely identical looking watch except for the logo, and a vastly higher price.

Then, I found the CWC website. For some strange reason, they show their keywords at the bottom of each page - and lo, one of the keywords is MWC! (keywords are not normally shown on webpages, they live in the header section of the HTML to assist Search Engines to classify the site).

So, are CWC and MWC with their virtually identical logos the same Company??

Don't you think it would be better to ask CWC about details on their site? How are we supposed to know?

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Master

CWC/MWC

Sorry, I thought there were people in the forum who might know.
    This will be my last post in this forum. Have a nice day.

Re: CWC/MWC

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA
    Just in case you pass by again ... (I think) MWC used to make cheaper versions of CWC models and some time later somebody else started making cheaper copies of MWCs but also using the same name. Chances are you bought one of the cheaper ones.

I am not aware of any connection between CWC and MWC (on any level) and CWC are probably using the tags to capture any passing enquiries. But there again ... who knows?

Have a nice day yourself.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Don't you think it would be better to ask CWC about details on their site? How are we supposed to know?
    Not the warmest of welcome's you've ever extended, John :wink:

Xpat USA,

There was a one jewel mechanical MWC, which is puported to have had limited military issue in the late 1980's. As John suggests, the quartz MWC's found on Ebay etc are just cheap and nasty versions of the issue CWC quartz. No connection with CWC AFAIK.

Cheers

Foggy

Master

Don't mind John, he gets crabby from time to time. I think Bond may have broken him. Hang around for a while. Most of the regular forumites are friendly and\or helpful.

I felt the question was abrupt, no pleases or thank yous. How far does one go for a $66 watch? But I also thought ... What if there is a connection between CWC and MWC2? Can you say there isn?t? MWC2 definitely knocked the wind right out of MWC1.

If ?xpatUSA? is a caring person and does look around and around he will see what I have written. I was not rude. I spoke the truth in the manner that the question was posed.

The last thing I ever wish, is to scare a friend away ...

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Grand Master
    Hello all,

IMHO the MWC brand (including derivatives, Chinese copies etc.) doesn't stand up to CWC quality, and Timefactors/Precista/Broadarrow exceeds that, as we all know.

MWC has raised a major hue-and-cry about them being issued, but the claim is not widely supported in the mil-watch community.

I can see why some people acre about issued pieces (I don't), but if you're after military style, you can hardly do better than Eddie's watches right here on Timefactors.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master

CWC/MWC

Thanks for the input, gents. Sorry if the post seemed abrupt, I've probably been in the USA too long (20 yrs). On the subject of prices, the difference between USA and UK still amazes me. Example: a company here had the MB-Microtec P6500 Navigator watches (with date) on offer for $119.95 (66 pounds). So I ordered one, but for some reason they sent the P6502 stainless steel, screw back diver's model with the 5-jewel Ronda movt, not that I complained. Not a bad deal, I see that P6502's are fetching 150+ pounds in UK.

Grand Master

Thanks for the input, gents. Sorry if the post seemed abrupt, I've probably been in the USA too long (20 yrs). On the subject of prices, the difference between USA and UK still amazes me. Example: a company here had the MB-Microtec P6500 Navigator watches (with date) on offer for $119.95 (66 pounds). So I ordered one, but for some reason they sent the P6502 stainless steel, screw back diver's model with the 5-jewel Ronda movt, not that I complained. Not a bad deal, I see that P6502's are fetching 150+ pounds in UK.
    You tell me ... the P6500 with Date (my favorite mil-style watch) goes for ? 200 firm in Germany ... that's something like US$ 250, and double the price, apparently, than in the US :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Journeyman

Quite a nice deal, I wish some of mine would turn out as nice.
    The whole MWC/CWC thing is as confusing as the Dead Sea Scrolls.
    My take is that CWC is the real deal and MWC is a cheap clone.

Quite a nice deal, I wish some of mine would turn out as nice.
    The whole MWC/CWC thing is as confusing as the Dead Sea Scrolls.
    My take is that CWC is the real deal and MWC is a cheap clone.
    Absolutely correct. CWC is the reral deal. MWC, knockoffs... The similarities in name (and design) are very misloeading...

Is there any relationship? Who knows?... anything is possible.. could be some elaborate scheme to drive up demand and make CWCs even more desirable..
    Somehow I doubt it is that complex. Just a shady company trying to take advantage of the CWC name-branding..

Hi Ted, I am glad you came by again :wink: . Everything is more expensive in the UK than in the US. Not only that but the quality of goods and foodstuff is better in the US.

Why? Ask the politicians. Anyway, back to watches.

I hope you got your question answered. What watches have you got?

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Master

CWC/MWC

Hi John,

Yes, the concensus is pretty much as I expected.

I'm just starting. I bought a bunch of repair tools and parts from a deceased watchmaker's estate. Don't know what half of them are for!! Managed to clean up a gent's Benrus without breaking it, see here.

Currently have:
    Waltham 40's tonneau, gold plated, Speidel bracelet.
    Hamilton gents dress, yellow gold plated.
    Longines 60's solid 14K gold slim-line, mint condition(the biggie @ $399).
    The Benrus, as yet unsold.
    MB-MicroTec P6502 (daily wear).
    and Crusader's "favorite", the Luminox 'Navy Seals' - this one spent a year in Iraq and I put a Luminox Velcro strap on it and wear it for work (gardening, carpentry, etc). Also bought Wifey a Luminox 7003 lady's diver watch - she loves it.

regards to all from sunny Houston,

Hi Ted just to say welcome here and hope you enjoy the forums.

:wink:

Rod

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    Hi Ted just to say welcome here and hope you enjoy the forums. Rod
    Thank you kindly, Rod.

Journeyman
    Like myself you are new here, open to all kinds of comments. :lol: :lol:

Let me say that from experience the MWC is a bag of crap compared to the CWC G10 quartz. Sorry for being so blunt but that seem to be a traditon on TZUK. :lol: :lol:

The CWC G10 is a proper, issued watch. The MWC is not, there is no real evidence that it ever was.

Unless MWC wants to provide the evidence? :twisted:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin
    Let me say that from experience the MWC is a bag of crap compared to the CWC G10 quartz. Sorry for being so blunt but that seem to be a traditon on TZ-UK. The CWC G10 is a proper, issued watch. The MWC is not, there is no real evidence that it ever was. Unless MWC wants to provide the evidence?
    It's been a while since I started this thread and both my MWC's are long gone. Having said that, it's getting quite hard to buy something new that's made and assembled all in one country. So I'm heading in the real, i.e. issued, military direction plus pre-60's Hamiltons.

For example I bought these last week on eBay . .

Hamilton MIL-W-43674B Dec '82 and SandY MIL-W-43674F Dec'91, both unused.

best regards,

Journeyman
    Nice brace of watches Ted. :)

John.