closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,850 of 2555

Thread: Anyone read any good books recently ?

I just finished this brand new best seller from Harlan Coben...EXCELLENT! Julia Roberts has already been cast in the lead role.

Master
    not sure if recommended already but the cartel by don winslow is pretty good

Craftsman
    I'm reading against a dark background by Iain M. Banks at the moment, and am really enjoying it. It's a little different from his Culture novels, but is a great read so far.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishExpat View Post
    I'm reading against a dark background by Iain M. Banks at the moment, and am really enjoying it. It's a little different from his Culture novels, but is a great read so far.
    His best I think. Sadly missed.

Journeyman
    Tuesday falling - if you enjoyed Girl with a dragon tattoo you should like this.
    1.99 on kindle.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tuesday-Fall.../dp/B00R0RGSHU

Anyone read any good books recently ?

For those who like suspension of disbelief with a twist, it's worth looking at the Anno Dracula series by Kim Newman. Essentially an alternative history series where vampires exist.

The series starts in 1888 around the Whitechapel murders and over four books ends up in the early 1990s, encompassing a number of historical events and people.

A number of key characters feature in all four books to the alleged longevity of vampire lives, and, for the closet nerd, a number of characters from other works also appear.

All four books are available for kindle and are well worth a punt.

Ian
    Last edited by G10 for Men; 31st March 2016 at 14:42.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    not sure if recommended already but the cartel by don winslow is pretty good
    ‘The Cartel’ is a good read, I take it you had previously read ‘Power of the Dog’ by the same author? If you are interested in the whole Narco world you might also be interested in ‘El Narco’ by Ioan Grillo its non-fiction this time and highlights just how much of Power of the Dog and The Cartel are actually based on fact (worryingly enough!)

Craftsman
    Just finished Limitless by Alan Glynn - really enjoyed it, although I think the movie version might actually have a better ending. Anyway, think I'll be going straight for his other 2 books now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    ‘The Cartel’ is a good read, I take it you had previously read ‘Power of the Dog’ by the same author? If you are interested in the whole Narco world you might also be interested in ‘El Narco’ by Ioan Grillo its non-fiction this time and highlights just how much of Power of the Dog and The Cartel are actually based on fact (worryingly enough!)
    i just picked it up so havent read the first book, i was a bit annoyed when i realised!

thanks for the further recommendation

Just finished 'The Bone Season' by Samantha Shannon which was recommended to me by my librarian. It's a young adult (I guess, maybe proper adult) dystopian sci fi novel about an alternative future that branched off in Victorian times where clairvoyancy and other such things are quite common but are oppressed by the government. At first I thought I was going to hate it, but in the end I really liked it (enough that I will read the next book in the series), it was pretty insubstantial, but a fun read nevertheless.
    Also finished 'What if?' by the guy who writes XKCD which is a series of detailed scientific answers to random questions like "What would happen if the sun went out". It was funny and interesting and the science was understandable even to an idiot like me.
    Now reading the classic Soviet sci fi novel 'Solaris' by Stanislaw Lem. So far I like it a lot, interesting sf concepts and an engaging set up.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by whatmeworry; 10th April 2016 at 20:15.

I read 'Clocks' by Jerome K. Jerome on the 'plane on Friday. It's a very short and pleasant read, particularly for those with a horological bent, regarding the idiosyncrasies of timepieces and their owners.

It's available as free download in various formats here: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/855.bibrec.html

Reading Pure Gold by David Gold (owner of West Ham and Anne Summers).

The way he worked his way up from real East End poverty to what he is now - great strength of character and a good read.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Has anyone read this?

Pick an author...any author...

If you don't fancy a long read, pick your way through the Letters of Note archive: link. There's everything from the touching to the tragic...here on one page: link.

You could do worse than buy the book(s): website & AmazonLink...they're on my Christmas list.
    Last edited by PickleB; 16th July 2016 at 14:50. Reason: editorial...delete repetition

Journeyman
    Just finished Genghis Khan The Conqueror Series

Master
    Just read David Mitchell's ('Cloud Atlas') latest - 'Slade Alley'. Gripping from start to finish. A great modern English ghost story.

I just finished Duane Swierczynski's latest thriller, "Revolver." This guy is a master! I literally couldn't put this book down during the final 150 pages. The book centers on the murder of a Philadelphia police officer and his black partner in 1965 during the city's race riots, and shifts in time to his family members in 1995 and 2015 as it becomes apparent that events in each era are related. Great story...great writing...just like all his preceding novels.

Blog Entries
    ^^ thanks for that, looks right up my street. Do they need reading in any order or is it a one-off?

Never heard of him but always on the lookout for a new author - cheers

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    ^^ thanks for that, looks right up my street. Do they need reading in any order or is it a one-off?

Never heard of him but always on the lookout for a new author - cheers
    It's a one-off so have fun!

I picked up books by Lars Kepler (a pseudonym for a swedish couple) and was pleasantly surprised, well enough for me to finish all 4 books in a fortnight.

Its a sort of swedish Reacher, if you like that sort of thing.

The series is The Hypnotist, The Sandman, The fire witness and The Nightmare.

Also have started Tana French and her first book 'In the woods' was also a good read and really well written in terms of grammar and language. Had a couple of words that I had to look up, which was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    I picked up books by Lars Kepler (a pseudonym for a swedish couple) and was pleasantly surprised, well enough for me to finish all 4 books in a fortnight.

Its a sort of swedish Reacher, if you like that sort of thing.

The series is The Hypnotist, The Sandman, The fire witness and The Nightmare.

Also have started Tana French and her first book 'In the woods' was also a good read and really well written in terms of grammar and language. Had a couple of words that I had to look up, which was fun.
    Thanks for that tip. I've found all four of them in my local library and Stalker, #5 in the Joona Linna series, in their ebooks. Something to look forward to...

American sniper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those of you interested in sport, or business for that matter, I just read the memoirs of Nike founder Phil Knight called Shoe Dog. Very interesting read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Making of the British Army by Allan Mallinson

Ghosts of Spain, Giles Tremlett

Hi All,

Just finished Ghosts of Spain by Giles Tremlett. Subtitled "Travels through Spain and it's silent past" it's an excellent book. There is a lot about the Civil War, Franco and post Franco regime, plus a superb chapter about ETA.

Cheers, Richie

The Three Stigmata Of Palmer Eldritch by Phillip K Dick....
    drugs and sci-fi..... not sure what to think of it.....enjoyed reading but not sure if conclusion enjoyable or satisfactory....

like his stuff though so now on Counter Clock World.....................

I'm into the last part of the Clovenhoof collection by Heide Goody and Iain Grant.

It's a series of books based initially on the notion that Satan is cast out of Hell and attempts with varying degrees of success to live as a human in Sutton Coldfield.
    The books are:
    Clovenhoof (yes, it's a silly name and genuinely the only weak part of them)
    Pigeonwings
    Godsquad - Heaven has lost the Virgin Mary so sends Joan of Arc, St Francis and a few others down to find her. They do: she's a chain-smoking anarchist...
    Hellzapoppin'
    Beelzebelle
    They're best read in order although only book two is a direct sequel to the first. They're all set in the same storyline.

The thing that marks them as different from a lot of the hugely indifferent and wooden fantasy fiction found on Amazon Kindle is that:
    they're really well written for comic fiction, genuinely funny, clever, ironic and occasionally laugh-out-loud;
    they've been well-received by proper reviewers in print, and the books themselves can be bought in paperback.
    I can't tell which author has written which part, or where the breaks happen. Their writing is cohesive and they clearly work well together, even though the authors live in different parts of the country. Isn't the internet wonderful?

For lightweight reading, sharp observation and genuine humour, I really recommend them.
    Last edited by Glamdring; 26th September 2016 at 23:05.

I grew up in Sutton Coldfield - are they a bit more specific with the address?

They mention a few places but I didn't check to see if they're real. Nothing really bad is said about it. They chose it because it's archetypal 'ordinary Midlands'.

Present shock : when everything happens now by Rushkoff, Douglas.

Not a novel but an interesting read about time and how we compress it and usage of the internet etc.

Master
    Slade Alley by David Mitchell. A brilliant modern English horror story.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    I've just finished "Flowers for Algernon" by Daniel Keyes. It is one of the Gollancz 50 series, and is the first novel that has reduced me to tears.
    A wonderful read.
    To follow, the Film of the book is in CH 61 tonight.11pm

Just re-read Mrs Dalloway

Not sure how many times that is now but it never loses any of its power and imagery for me

The way the different story lines intertwine and then come together is marvellous

Craftsman
    Just re-read Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby. Really liked it. As a music fan it's really interesting. Especially the mindset of people when they gather on forums etc.

Journeyman
    For those of you who like war related tales I can recommend The Jungle is Neutral by Freddie Spencer Chapman.
    My youngest son went to Malaysia with his Uni to do environmental studies in the jungle. His tutor said a lot of the tracks and paths in the dense jungle stemmed from guerilla groups in the Second world war who terrorised the Japanese occupying forces.Chapman was a part of these guerillas fighting the Japs
    His life story is quiite remarkable, have a read about him on wikipedia, I was truly amazed at some of the things he did

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus04 View Post
    For those of you who like war related tales I can recommend The Jungle is Neutral by Freddie Spencer Chapman.
    My youngest son went to Malaysia with his Uni to do environmental studies in the jungle. His tutor said a lot of the tracks and paths in the dense jungle stemmed from guerilla groups in the Second world war who terrorised the Japanese occupying forces.Chapman was a part of these guerillas fighting the Japs
    His life story is quiite remarkable, have a read about him on wikipedia, I was truly amazed at some of the things he did
    Thank you for that...not only another book to read, but it send me off to Wiki where I found that his story occupied two episodes of This is Your Life in Series 9.

I saw that one other person also took two episodes that year. Thus I also learnt a little about Pat O'Leary, whose life is equally remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    I'm into the last part of the Clovenhoof collection by Heide Goody and Iain Grant.

It's a series of books based initially on the notion that Satan is cast out of Hell and attempts with varying degrees of success to live as a human in Sutton Coldfield.
    The books are:
    Clovenhoof (yes, it's a silly name and genuinely the only weak part of them)
    Pigeonwings
    Godsquad - Heaven has lost the Virgin Mary so sends Joan of Arc, St Francis and a few others down to find her. They do: she's a chain-smoking anarchist...
    Hellzapoppin'
    Beelzebelle
    They're best read in order although only book two is a direct sequel to the first. They're all set in the same storyline.

The thing that marks them as different from a lot of the hugely indifferent and wooden fantasy fiction found on Amazon Kindle is that:
    they're really well written for comic fiction, genuinely funny, clever, ironic and occasionally laugh-out-loud;
    they've been well-received by proper reviewers in print, and the books themselves can be bought in paperback.
    I can't tell which author has written which part, or where the breaks happen. Their writing is cohesive and they clearly work well together, even though the authors live in different parts of the country. Isn't the internet wonderful?

For lightweight reading, sharp observation and genuine humour, I really recommend them.
    I´ll look into those...They sound a bit like Robert Rankins -Brentford Trilogy, 9 books not 3,
    They humorously chronicle the lives of a couple of drunken middle-aged layabouts, Jim Pooley and John Omally, who confront the forces of darkness in the environs of West London, usually with the assistance of large quantities of beer from their favourite public house, The Flying Swan.
    Lightweight but fun and sharp.

I've just finished 3 in a row with a fantasy/SF bent:
    The Hobbit - not hard to see why it's so well loved
    Dark Matter by Blake Crouch - a really fun sci-fi thriller that's also got a bit of philosophising about marriage and relationships
    Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ranson Riggs - highly entertaining and inventive fantasy. The book is also packed with really cool vintage photos

Just reading The Outsider by Fredrick Forsyth; so far it's highly enjoyable.

He's lead quite a life.

I can recommend Fist of Fury; a tale of his based around the Iraq super-gun affair. It's a cracking read.

Polished off 'Jonathon Livingston Seagull' by Richard Bach this morning, a book I'd been intrigued by for decades. It wasn't worth the wait.

Craftsman
    Just finished "The Pie at Night" Stuart Maconie. I've read all his books, very enjoyable.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by henryviii View Post

Does Shantaram read a bit or is it long-winded. A thousand pager is intimidating, especially if it's slow in parts. Want to read something epic this winter and am torn between this and The Count of Monte Cristo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    The Life of Pi. A surprisingly enjoyable novel, particularly for the author's witty style.
    Agreed. I found this a touching read and considerably better than the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Progressive View Post
    Does Shantaram read a bit or is it long-winded. A thousand pager is intimidating, especially if it's slow in parts. Want to read something epic this winter and am torn between this and The Count of Monte Cristo.
    People I know who have read it have said it is amazing but hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Slade Alley by David Mitchell. A brilliant modern English horror story.

On the strength of this I bought it and finished reading it last week. I'm now reading The Bone Clocks.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Can't help you on Shantaram but TCoMC is a must read. Given that, and the length, may I dig up something I wrote earlier in this thread on the same subject, to hopefully save you some time:

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Highly recommended. I read a free translation, then bought the Penguin Classics edition and read it again. The Penguin (Robin Buss translation) was much better. If you're going to read this majestic and classic yarn in English, might as well do it once and well
    Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    On the strength of this I bought it and finished reading it last week. I'm now reading The Bone Clocks.

Eddie
    I take it you enjoyed it? Loved bone clocks too. Cloud atlas is probably my favourite though.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    I take it you enjoyed it? Loved bone clocks too. Cloud atlas is probably my favourite though.

I did enjoy it and I'll be reading more of his.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Blog Entries
    am torn between this and The Count of Monte Cristo.
    Recently read Count of Monte Cristo and wasn't expecting much to be honest but it was fantastic

Craftsman
    Right... The Count of Monte Cristo it is. See you all in three months.

Master
    I’ve just finished Springsteen’s “Born to Run”:

http://www.simonandschuster.com/book.../9781501141515

An excellent read, particularly in the early stages, that gives much insight into just how long and hard he had to work at his craft before he got to the point where we began to hear about him. The later chapters of the book do wander a bit, but I’ll forgive him that.

Currently about 1/3 way through John Le Carre’s “The Pigeon Tunnel”, which is excellent and highly amusing in parts. Well worth reading if you enjoy his work:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...e-carre-review