closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone read any good books recently ?

Re: Anyone read any good books recently ?

Bond books are brill!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So much better than the films!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rickf
    Quote Originally Posted by Nev
    Just finished Dan Browns new book the Lost Symbol - crap, same old same old but not as good as A&D or TDVC.
    Just finished it recently myself. What I tell people is that I think Dan Brown is trying too hard to be like Dan Brown in this one. It doesn't really distinguish itself from the rash of copy-cat novels that came out from others after the DaVinci Code. That said, I still got some entertainment out of it. I'm just glad I didn't pay for it.

Rick
    Blasted through this a couple weeks ago, entertaining but same old formula - DB has gone all "Andy McNab" churning out the same routine.

BTW i really liked his relatively unknown Digital Fortress, worth a look, as is Deception Point :wink:

Hi.

My work takes me to some pretty inhospitable places and I spend a lot of time stuck in a tent with no power, I bought one of those Sony ereaders and it's changed my life! Well, not really but it's given me something to do. It came with loads of the classics, recently read Around the World in 80 days and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, all those old stories I have never taken the time to appreciate. I'd really recommend trawling back through the old titles, some real gems!

Mat

Master

My Uncle Napoleon :)

Read (and re-reading it) as "homework" in support of a position I'll be taking shortly... But good fun - very entertaining. :)

Then it's on to Reading "Lolita" in Tehran.

Mike.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Uncle-Napole ... 258&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reading-Lolita- ... 316&sr=1-1

Journeyman

Just got around to reading Bob Dylan's book Chronicles, best book I've read in a while.

Thomas Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Murias
    Actually yes,I just finished "Focaults pendulum" by Umberto Eco.Highly recommended,although a bit on the heavy side mind you.
    But perhaps thats due to the fact that english is not my first language.

Other than that,I`d recommend any of Anthony Beevors books on WW2.If you`re into history that is.

Marius:blackeye:
    I enjoyed that as well.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Cryptonomicon by Neil Stephenson is excellent and if you like that and are willing to invest some time then his Baroque trilogy is superb. I also agree with Bob regarding the Shardlake series by C J Sansom; they are a good read for a commute.

Quote Originally Posted by diranija
    Cryptonomicon by Neil Stephenson is excellent and if you like that and are willing to invest some time then his Baroque trilogy is superb. I also agree with Bob regarding the Shardlake series by C J Sansom; they are a good read for a commute.
    Thumbs-up for Neal Stephenson. I'm currently reading his newest novel "Anathem". As per usual with Stephenson I'm a third of the way through and still don't know where it's going; just sitting back and enjoying the ride though.

Rick

Master

Have just finished ""Hunt for Zero Point" by Nick Cook. Fascinating story about research into anti-gravitational technology :shock:

Just coming to the end of "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" the last of the Millennium trilogy of crime fiction books written by Stieg Larsson. All three have been outstanding. If you have any interest in this genre, read immediately!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Murias
    Actually yes,I just finished "Focaults pendulum" by Umberto Eco.Highly recommended,although a bit on the heavy side mind you.
    But perhaps thats due to the fact that english is not my first language.
    That is an amazing book, one of my favourites :) If you are up for some more on the heavy side then get Thomas Pynchon's book called Mason & Dixon. It'll blow your mind.

Cheers,
    Mabuse

When I was in Foyles last Saturday I had a browse through "THE POCKET WATCH - Restoration, Maintenance and Repair" by Christopher Barrow price Ģ18.99 and almost bought it as it is a very comprehensive 190 page guide with lots of full colour illustrations. When I got home I ordered a used copy from Amazon price just Ģ3.79 + postage and it arrived within 3 days - and in new condition! The book describes how to dismantle clean and reassemble the following types of pocket watches all illustrated with excellent colour photographs : a) Keyless Going Barrel Lever, b) Going Barrel Cylinder. c) English Fusee Full-Plate lever, c) English Three Quarter -Plate Centre Seconds Chronograph, and d) English Fusee Verge

And of course shows all the tools required.

I'm enjoying reading it as everything is explained so well. Maybe I'll try cleaning a pocket watch movement when have some spare time.

Cheers

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Apprentice

Just finished The World Without Us by Alan Weisman.

He starts off by asking how long it would take for nature to take over if we were to suddenly disappear (either by rapture or sudden extinction. . . he's a bit tongue-in-cheek here) and leads to investigations of long-term regeneration of ecological/environmental problems. His conclusion is that nature can exist better without us than we can exist without it.

Essentially, it's the book that Jared Diamond should have written to follow Guns, Germs And Steel (which is probably the best science book I've ever read; Collapse didn't really work for me, but was good in parts - get it from the library, don't buy it!)

And on the subject of science journalism, I recently read Jeff Warren's The Head Trip: Adventures on the Wheel of Consciousness. In all honesty, the start is more interesting than the finish. . . but the first two-thirds of the book is excellent.

Just finished the new Dan Brown and whilst it was a rattling good read, it's not really literature :wink: .

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I've just started volume three of Peter Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy. Over 1000 pages. Doubtless I'll take a break at some point and read another book for a rest. Even though the first two huge volumes have taken me over a year to read he does keep the story moving.

Craftsman

I've just started to read 'The Defence of the Realm: The Authorized History of MI5 - Christopher Andrew'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Defence-Real...5734521&sr=8-1

I've only read 20 or so pages at the moment (not much of a reader), but it is quite interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by TomWazza
    I've just started to read 'The Defence of the Realm: The Authorized History of MI5 - Christopher Andrew'

I've only read 20 or so pages at the moment (not much of a reader), but it is quite interesting.
    I've heard the serialization on Radio 4 and seems to be a very interesting account so will probably read it soon.

Cheers

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master

Just finished (excuse the spelling :shock: ) Steig Larrson's "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and it is one of THE best thrillers i have read, couldn't put it down.

A couple of stories intertwined make it absorbing from beginning to end, difficult to predict who the "bad guy" is which makes it all the better, does tail off near the end but still an excellent read.

WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

Nev

EDIT - Just saw Dans post above, can't wait to get my hands on the 2nd in the trilogy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Just coming to the end of "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" the last of the Millennium trilogy of crime fiction books written by Stieg Larsson. All three have been outstanding. If you have any interest in this genre, read immediately!
    Another good swedish crime writer I would recommend is Henning Mankell http://www.henningmankell.com/. Wonderful pace, atmosphere, dialogue and characters. All of them are pretty good but I'd start with Faceless Killers just as it's the first.

Paul

Blog Entries

Depends what you are looking for but I enjoy reading of what has partly formed our current way of living and issues that surround us today
    Can certainly recommend
    'Behind Closed Doors' WWII by Laurence Rees,
    'Stalingrad' Anthony Beevor
    and

'Gomorrah' by Roberto Saviano ( now about 30 years old, under police protection for life !)
    especially good for those long dark evenings (draw your curtains :twisted: )

My wife just finished the first of Stieg Larsson's trilogy 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'
    (Swedish title 'Men who hate women') and could barely put it aside - just seen the DVD and it's very riveting stuff ! Now just about to start on volume 2 ! (all on amazon.co.uk :wink: )
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by flyerboy
    Have just finished ""Hunt for Zero Point" by Nick Cook. Fascinating story about research into anti-gravitational technology :shock:
    I really enjoyed this, however I just can't bring myself to believe that something that amazing could be kept secret for so long. Good read though!

Dan Brown-Lost Symbol....Just had to.....I'm a hype whore.....Book was SHITE!!

Away at the moment and just read Paths of Glory, by Jeffery Archer.

A fictional novel based on the story of Mallory and Irvins attempt on Everest. Worth looking up.

Also read Yes Man by Danny Wallace. A book about Danny's 6 months of saying Yes to everything. Quite a motivational yet book which was adapted to film featuring Jim Carey.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker
    Also read Yes Man by Danny Wallace. A book about Danny's 6 months of saying Yes to everything. Quite a motivational yet book which was adapted to film featuring Jim Carey.

Chris
    Good shout on Danny Wallace, i read all of his about a year ago, some of the other ones are just as funny :wink:

I'm reading Nikon D90 for Dummies. First few chapters were a bit too basic for me, but it's now really helping me accelerate my learning.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Cham by Jonathan Tridgell. A good story, particularly for anyone into winter sports.

Whilst in Cyprus this year I read The Alexander Cipher and The Exodus Quest by Will Adams both excellent books (bit Dan Brownish but better IMO) and the third book is out at the end of the month

Currently reading Believed Safe by Bill Furniss-Roe. This is a little known book however it describes his escape from German occupied France twice during WW 2, once with my Grandfather

Master

Quote Originally Posted by sundial
    Quote Originally Posted by TomWazza

I've heard the serialization on Radio 4 and seems to be a very interesting account so will probably read it soon.

Cheers

dunk
    Nearly bought that on Sunday at WH Smiths. Went to pick it up but my fingers couldn't reach to the back cover it was that thick!

Not really a book to read while laying in bed - shame as it looked excellent (after using both hands to pick it up and read the inside cover).

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker
    Away at the moment and just read Paths of Glory, by Jeffery Archer.

A fictional novel based on the story of Mallory and Irvins attempt on Everest. Worth looking up.

Chris
    also highly recommend

Banned

Angels of death , inside the bikers global empire written by william marsden and julian sher , borrowed from forum member karl ...a good read and an eye opener all about the hells angels and their global power ,they are very organised criminals :o

Master
    Blog Entries

Not sure if this has been mentioned (I'm sure it has), The Time Traveller's Wife.

This is one beast of a thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ggill
    Not sure if this has been mentioned (I'm sure it has), The Time Traveller's Wife.

This is one beast of a thread!!!

Half way through that at the moment, still undecided about it. I'm only reading it because i've read the others I brought with me and now I'm onto the wife's books.

Edit, finished the timtraveller's wife. Verdict: twice as long as it needs to be but not bad.

Chris

Craftsman

"1984"
    Iīve read a lot of books on war and totalitarism but I never read something as depressing (yet enlightning) as "1984". As always, the books is far better than the movie.

I am also reading the Bible, something that few christians ever did. Surprising and rather straightforward. It shure takes a lot of beating that really does not deserve, although i think than only an adult with some life experience will apreciate what is being said. For me it is waisted on kids.
    I recently came to the conclusion that we take a lot of stuff for granted without reason at all.
    This book is also better than the movie.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Luso
    I am also reading the Bible, something that few christians ever did. Surprising and rather straightforward. It shure takes a lot of beating that really does not deserve, although i think than only an adult with some life experience will apreciate what is being said. For me it is waisted on kids.
    I recently came to the conclusion that we take a lot of stuff for granted without reason at all.
    This book is also better than the movie.
    Funnily enough some time last year I was stuck in a hotel with nothing to read, so I searched out the Gideon (in a twin room there's normally only two places to look :lol: ).

Nevertheless, I've got to agree that the few dozen pages that I read that night were better than any crime thriller. Familiar but exciting, interesting but entertaining. Without trying to sound amusing, ignore the religion and think of it as a thriller based on ancient history.

Later in life it's a great read. No bull - give it a go.

I have in the last few months read a few books.

The Road by Cormac Maccarthy. This pushed my emotional buttons and is a depressing read towards the end.

The Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. Formulaic but enjoyable. Ex miltary cop wanders America in vigilante mode usually getting involved in goverment plots

Sniper One. Non fiction

The Unknown Soldier by Gerald Seymour.

Touching my Fathers Soul. Tenzing Norgay

Books I have struggled with are Hawaii and Catch 22 still trying to chew through them

Thomas Reid

I'm currently reading Roberto Bolaņo's 2666. I haven't decided whether I like it yet, only being at p 266 of 898. So far, really interesting, but really weird.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master

'Flood' by Richard Doyle ISBN 0-7128-1477-X

I found it 'frightening'

Could it happen....YES.

Will it happen....?

To fully enjoy the book an intimate knowledge of London, down to street names, and the SE of England is necessary.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    I'm currently reading Roberto Bolaņo's 2666. I haven't decided whether I like it yet, only being at p 266 of 898. So far, really interesting, but really weird.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Completely OT Bob, but was intrigued who your avatar Thomas Reid was - surprised to find he was local to me in Aberdeen!

Interesting titbit - he was born in Strachan which is a wee village west of Aberdeen, which is locally pronounced as "stranne" rather than the usual surname Strachan pronounciation of "strakan". Fount of info at 6.30am on a Sunday LOL :lol:

Thomas Reid

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    I finished this some time ago, but still can't decide whether it is very good or very bad. I am firmly of the opinion that is one of those two, however.

Best wishes,
    Bob

For those that love Malt Whisky, travel & good storytelling/narration, then
    "Raw Spirit" by Ian Banks (in search of the perfect dram)
    should hit the spot.

I'm reading Bernard Cornwell's "Starbuck Chrionicles" series of books at the moment. I love his "Sharpe" novels, and pretty much everything else he writes!

Just finished Touching The Void by Joe Simpson - The film was great but the book is excellent :D

Quote Originally Posted by Chucks
    Just finished Touching The Void by Joe Simpson - The film was great but the book is excellent :D

Totally agree, we should concentrate our appreciation in this world on the sportsmen and athletes who triumph (even in adversity), rather then the quasi-celebrities who fill the television schedules with mock success and hype.

I read the Joe Simpson book directly after the first Lance Armstrong book and realised that these days most people have got it all wrong on success and respect.

not us though, eh?

Hi All,
    I just finished 'The Road to Wigan Pier' by George Orwell, an honest account of his experiences of working class life in the north of england in the thirties, prior to his time fighting in spain, an excellent book, if you've read 'Down and out in Paris and London' I reckon you'll like this one too,
    Richie :)

Thomas Reid

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry

Completely OT Bob, but was intrigued who your avatar Thomas Reid was - surprised to find he was local to me in Aberdeen!

Interesting titbit - he was born in Strachan which is a wee village west of Aberdeen, which is locally pronounced as "stranne" rather than the usual surname Strachan pronounciation of "strakan". Fount of info at 6.30am on a Sunday LOL :lol:
    I think he finished up in Glasgow, but considered Aberdeen home. Good man, Prof. Reid. I suspect he got more things right than wrong.

Best wishes,
    Bob

I taught a couple of girls, surname Strachan. Pronounced 'Strawn'. My college principal, also Strachan was 'Stra/x/an' in the Scots dialect (to rhyme with loch)

Craftsman

Keith Floyds' autobiography - Stirred But Not Shaken. Some great stories in there and he certainly enjoyed the ladies as much as a good slurp.

RIP Keith!

'one fourteenth of an elephant'

very compelling account as a POW in the far east under the japanese in WW2
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I recommend reading The Shadow of the Wind by Zafon, a pretty dark mystery and one of the better books I've read in the past years.

Master
    Blog Entries

Just got back from holidays. Having read 7 books of mixed quality I can definitively say Shantaram is the best book I have ever read. Please do read it, you won't be disappointed! A Picture of Dorian Gray is a fantastic bit of light literature too.

Best,

Dev