closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,450 of 2555

Thread: Anyone read any good books recently ?

Reading The Midden by Tom Sharpe at the moment and really enjoying it.

Satirical fun.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I have managed to get through and come out the other end of More Pricks Than Kicks by Samuel Beckett; a novel I think that the average reader might struggle to complete without a passing knowledge of Dublin and perhaps some previous acquaintance with Joyce or Flann O'Brien. I don't think I'll miss the sentences that last longer than most writers' paragraphs but it's an entertaining read.

I also just read Trevor Baylis's autobiography, Clock This, which was excellent.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

I've just abandoned The Book of the New Sun Volume I:Shadow and Claw by Gene Wolfe after sticking with it for 430 pages. The occasional few pages showing promise but mostly unreadable and this is a genre I usually enjoy reading.

I've got 10 Ken Follett books to start reading now.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I've just finished Capital by John Lanchester and really enjoyed it. It captures London really well and touches on terrorism, the economics crisis, immigration and even premiership football without any of these becoming any bigger than the story of a disparate group of neighbors living in a street in South London. I saw Lanchester earlier in the month at a reading which prompted me to pick this up and once I'm through my current reading list I think I'll pick up Mr Phillips.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I've just abandoned The Book of the New Sun Volume I:Shadow and Claw by Gene Wolfe after sticking with it for 430 pages. The occasional few pages showing promise but mostly unreadable and this is a genre I usually enjoy reading.

I read all of that as it's got so many good reviews, and sort of liked it. But I am in no rush to read Volume 2. I think it helped that I was on holiday and got through it quite quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by dowsing View Post
    The Charlie Parker books are ok, though I found the Book of Lost Things to be on another level and much better. That and his book of short stories.
    I find his sax playing more interesting than his writing...

Seriously though, I'm some way into "Nemesis" by Philip Roth. So far, it's outstanding.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/View-From-Th...1883917&sr=8-1

Look no further than that for some rib breaking laughs!

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinShepherd View Post
    I find his sax playing more interesting than his writing...

Seriously though, I'm some way into "Nemesis" by Philip Roth. So far, it's outstanding.
    The anthology of reminiscences collated by rob reisner is the best book on bird . I think it's called 'bird , the legend of Charlie Parker '
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

My 2p about Lee Child - tons of foreplay and no climax.

More on-topic, I've started reading 'The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever'. Looks promising.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post

More on-topic, I've started reading 'The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever'. Looks promising.

Blast from the past...i read them in my twenties (which was a while ago!).....i seem to remember i found them hard going.

Ive just started re-reading books I havent read in about ten years. Ive started out with Starship Troopers by Heinlein and will soon move on to A Breave New World by Huxley.

I started reading Ken Follett's "Code to Zero" last night, it's looking good.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Blast from the past...i read them in my twenties (which was a while ago!).....i seem to remember i found them hard going.

I read them about 10 years ago. Took a while to get into, due to the the language used, and the fact the main character is so unlikable. However as they progressed, I got more and more into it. I didn't quite finish them all and he added some more recently too.

Having been mostly disappointed by the recent TV version of Blandings (where is everything is pretty much wrong) I've just started re-reading my old PG Wodehouse books.

Light hearted and very amusing.

Excellent stuff before retiring for the night.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    I've never read Wodehouse, I really ought to I think.

Apprentice
    I'm 3/4 the way through my all-time favourite book, think I've read it 4 or 5 times now - Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy

My copy was published in the early 90's and it is starting to show it's age

Quote Originally Posted by cdmed View Post
    most of the books I've read recently are American football ones. if anyone is interested I'll do a list, otherwise they're just American football books
    couple of ones i really enjoyed....
    'bringing the heat' by mark bowden.
    'lt: over the edge' by lawrence taylor.
    cheers.

The Man in The High Castle

I just read "The Man in The High Castle" again by Phillip K Dick ( I may have mentioned I'd read it somewhere before on this thread ). I love the collecting/acquiring slant to the book, and also the alternate alternate history of "The Grasshopper Lies Heavy", the Cult Underground novel by Abendsen, and the discussions about it in the story.

Stonker ! 10/10

Blog Entries
    Been enjoying Brett Battles' "The Cleaner" series featuring his hero Jonathan Quinn.

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha
    Thanks to Eddie, I have become a huge fan of Scott Mariani. If you like thrillers send me a pm and i will give you some titles
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Craftsman
    I am reading Caleb Carr's 'Angel of Darkness' which is the follow up to his 'Alienist'.

Think: Jack the ripper/Sherlock Holmes/Victorian CSI/New York/Criminal Minds FBI profiling.

Blog Entries
    Holiday season bumperoo

Read some very good thrillers lately

David Baldacci - John Puller series 1+2. Zero Day + The Forgotten,if you like the Jack Reacher books then you'll enjoy these.Very,very similar

Joe Lansdale - Hap and Leonard series.Read all these and they were all excellent

John Gilstrap - Jonathan Grave series 1+ 2. No Mercy + Hostage Zero,very good,non stop action about a government sponsored hostage rescue/assassin.

Warren Ellis - Gun Machine,very good and hopefully the first in a series as the characters were excellent

There is always a turd hidden amongst the roses and that turd was called Inferno by Dan Brown,a truly shocking book - horrible.
    Didn't even finish it and I can usually finish most books,garbage of the worst kind - avoid

Cheers,Mick

Journeyman
    The Passage by Justin Cronin. Very well written

Just finished a couple of books, The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand and the graphic novel Watchmen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Craftsman
    I'm just starting the Wool series by Hugh Howley - apparently, if anyone liked The Passage, they'll love these!

Master
    I'm not an avid book reader but after watching Corleone on Sky Arts & holidaying in Sicily I found Excellent Cadavers by Alexander Stille 'un-putdownable'.

It's not just about the characters in the mafia nor rise of the Corleone clan but really illustrates the shocking links between the mafia and Italian politics that made the work of some in the judiciary eg. Falcone, a death sentence.

Inferno by Dan Brown is possibly the worst book I've ever attempted to read. I lasted about 100 pages

Just read 'Wolf Tickets' by Ray Banks. A UK crime novel which is as foul mouthed and violent as you could hope for. A great read and much more enjoyable than all the identikit police procedurals clogging up the shelves at the moment.

Half way through the Bowers Files books by Steven James. Really good. I don't know if they have been mentioned before as I would rather read books than the whole of this thread LOL. I recommend them anyway.

Miss Buncle's Book - I really needed such a reading these days (a holiday is past its due time), made me smile all along.

Craftsman
    Just finished NOS-4R2 by Joe Hill. A little uneven in places but he is turning out to be a pretty good horror/supernatural writer.

Just started on Murakami's "The Wind-up Bird Chronicle". Enjoying it so far.

I've just finished Vulcan 607 by Rowland White. It is absolutely riveting.

From the blurb:

"April 1982. Argentine forces had invaded the Falkland Islands. Britain needed an answer. And fast.

The idea was simple: to destroy the vital landing strip at Port Stanley. The reality was more complicated. The only aircraft that could possibly do the job was three months from being scrapped, and the distance it had to travel was four thousand miles beyond its maximum range. It would take fifteen Victor tankers and seventeen separate in-flight refuellings to get one Avro Vulcan B2 over the target, and give its crew any chance of coming back alive.

Yet less than a month later, a formation of elderly British jets launched from a remote island airbase to carry out the longest-range air attack in history. At its head was a single aircraft, six men, and twenty-one thousand-pound bombs, facing the hornet's nest of modern weaponry defending the Argentine forces on the Falkland Islands. There would be no second chances . . ."

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    Inferno by Dan Brown is possibly the worst book I've ever attempted to read. I lasted about 100 pages
    I couldn't agree more, although I suffered to the end. Recently I started reading David Baldacci so far I've read The Innocent, The Hit, Split Second and I'm part way through Hour Game. I've enjoyed all of them and will carry on until I've read all his works.

Reading, "the mating season" by PG Wodehouse at the moment.

Superb, as is usual with his stuff.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Did you know that the Wodehouse estate has authorised Sebastian Faulks (who wrote the Bond novel 'Devil May Care') to write a new Bertie Wooster novel?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Did you know that the Wodehouse estate has authorised Sebastian Faulks (who wrote the Bond novel 'Devil May Care') to write a new Bertie Wooster novel?
    No, I didn't.

Gawd knows what that would be like.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks Dad View Post
    I thought Seb Faulks made a reasonable stab at a Bond novel with his effort.
    Not read it but TBH I only want to read the stuff by the original author not, "in the style of" and although I could imagine somebody having a go at Fleming ( a few have) Wodehouses stuff is far more idiosyncratic.

Fortunately PG left a huge body of work.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by 5avvy View Post
    I've just finished Vulcan 607 by Rowland White. It is absolutely riveting.

From the blurb:

"April 1982. Argentine forces had invaded the Falkland Islands. Britain needed an answer. And fast.

The idea was simple: to destroy the vital landing strip at Port Stanley. The reality was more complicated. The only aircraft that could possibly do the job was three months from being scrapped, and the distance it had to travel was four thousand miles beyond its maximum range. It would take fifteen Victor tankers and seventeen separate in-flight refuellings to get one Avro Vulcan B2 over the target, and give its crew any chance of coming back alive.

Yet less than a month later, a formation of elderly British jets launched from a remote island airbase to carry out the longest-range air attack in history. At its head was a single aircraft, six men, and twenty-one thousand-pound bombs, facing the hornet's nest of modern weaponry defending the Argentine forces on the Falkland Islands. There would be no second chances . . ."
    Really good read.

You might also find 'Sea Harrier over the Falklands' by Sharky Ward intersting - good account of the air battle and some of the political issues around it.

Just finished the following over the last couple of months:
    Osama - Chris Ryan
    The Tombs - Clive Cussler
    Zero Hour - Clive Cussler
    Live and let die - Ian Fleming
    Moonraker - Ian Fleming

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Not read it but TBH I only want to read the stuff by the original author not, "in the style of" and although I could imagine somebody having a go at Fleming ( a few have) Wodehouses stuff is far more idiosyncratic.

Fortunately PG left a huge body of work.
    Same opinion on both points.

Rather obviously, I'm a big fan of P. G. Wodehouse... my cell phone rings with the BBC series theme song.

Bank on-topic, I'm reading Metro 2033, a post-apocalyptic novel set in Moscow's subway net. There are all sorts of dark creatures... yet the Russians still drink tea. Got to love them :)

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    I second that

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Really good read.

You might also find 'Sea Harrier over the Falklands' by Sharky Ward intersting - good account of the air battle and some of the political issues around it.
    Chris, thanks for the recommendation, I really enjoyed Vulcan 607 so I'll get a copy of that too.

Just finished the following over the last couple of months:
    Osama - Chris Ryan
    The Tombs - Clive Cussler
    Zero Hour - Clive Cussler
    Live and let die - Ian Fleming
    Moonraker - Ian Fleming
    About a year ago, I read all the Bond books back to back, from start to finish. I really recommend reading them all in sequence and getting really immersed in them.

The Girl Who Fell from the Sky by Simon Mawer.

A brilliant tale about a young female agent recruited and dropped into the France during WW2 to extract an important scientist from occupied Paris. Very good. Very tense. Very humbling too.

Really good read.

I enjoyed that too, but for me the best first-person narrative of war has to be Chicken Hawk by Robert Mason, the story of flying unarmed UH1 'Huey' helicopters in Vietnam. The sequel - Chicken Hawk, Back in the World - about his disastrous return to civilian life, is also well worth a read.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I enjoyed that too, but for me the best first-person narrative of war has to be Chicken Hawk by Robert Mason, the story of flying unarmed UH1 'Huey' helicopters in Vietnam. The sequel - Chicken Hawk, Back in the World - about his disastrous return to civilian life, is also well worth a read.
    Have this on my kobo - next to read after the Stephen Leather novel i just started.

Just finished The Dawn Patrol by Don Winslow, an incredibly good crime novel.

Blog Entries
    Finished The Quarry on the flight home yesterday.

Some of the dialogue is excellent. And Guy's vitriol & bitterness is actually moving - especially considering the situation Iain was in at the time of writing.

It reminded me of the wasp factory - in being told from the perspective of the offspring with a 'condition'. Shame there won't be any more from Mr Banks. RIP.

z

Master
    Recently finished my first ever Dickens - Bleak House
    The Sheltering Sky, for the second time.
    Finished The Rachel Papers, again, yesterday.
    Will be starting The Handmaid's Tale, again, this evening.
    Last edited by markbannister; 4th September 2013 at 07:04.