closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,500 of 2555

Thread: Anyone read any good books recently ?

Master
    'Mr Wilder and Me' by Jonathan Coe is a great piece of modern cinematic fiction.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Iberia
    Julian Sayerer

From the back page: Through Medterranean landscapes and baked roads, Julian Sayerer pedals east across Portugal and Spain, towards Barcelona. Under the rotation of wheels and against the backdrop of a pandemic, time collapses steadily into the impulse simply to ride. During long hours in the saddle, Sayerer's thoughts traverse matters big and small, from the legacy of colonial empires to the perfection of an orange picked at the roadside. This is a journey through the in-between places we seldom visit, about the lives being lived there, and an olb blue bicycle called Miles.

Rather then let books gather dust on my bookshelf I give them away free of charge once read. If you would like to be the next person to read this book then leave a note of interest in the thread, then PM me your details so that I can put the book in the post to you. UK only please due to postage costs.

Next on the reading list is:

A272: An Ode to a Road

Following up on Japanese authors, I read All The Lovers In The Night by Mieko Kawakami who appears to be emerging as a successor to Haruki Murakami. She interviewed him at https://lithub.com/a-feminist-critiq...akami-himself/.

In her novel, Kawakami blurs lines between characters and narrator, and even author and reader, to the point that it almost seems as if you are a character in the story while simultaneously reading it. It’s very subtle, but she anticipates what the reader is thinking, and then riffs on those thoughts like a jazz musician.

Next I read Fordlandia: The Rise and Fall of Henry Ford's Forgotten Jungle City by Greg Grandin. Working on a failing rubber plantation in the Amazon in the 1930s must have been quite an experience, and the book definitely takes you there, but it does an even better job at describing what a bizarre and cruel person Henry Ford was.

From there I watched the movie Fitzcarraldo and the Les Blank documentary Burden of Dreams, and am currently reading Werner Herzog’s journals from that time, Conquest of the Useless. Klaus Kinski stands out as a lunatic.

Herzog has a new novel out called The Twilight World based on the true story of the Japanese soldier who hid on an island for 29 years after the end of WWII. Herzog recently said that he felt most accomplished in his writing, even more so than with his filmmaking, but I may give this one a pass. Has anyone read it yet?

My next book will be Grimmish by Australian Michael Winkler. It’s a sort of boxing novel, but is described in a blurb at https://www.michaelwinkler.com.au/grimmish as “blazing its own trail of experimental weirdo mindfuckery.”

Happy reading!

Craftsman
    Iam a huge fan of Werner Herzog , amazing filmmaker , did you see Aguirre also set in south America . Klaus kinski is very good in it and very intense , a total madman in real life .

Sent from my Pixel 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

Anyone read any good books recently ?

Quote Originally Posted by misterzero View Post
    Iam a huge fan of Werner Herzog , amazing filmmaker , did you see Aguirre also set in south America . Klaus kinski is very good in it and very intense , a total madman in real life .

I have not seen Aguirre yet, but that’s a great suggestion, thank you. Herzog also made a movie about Kinski which I have not seen, My Best Fiend, and Kinski wrote a memoir that Herzog claims is completely fabricated, All I Need is Love. Both were kids in Germany at the end of the war. Kinski was soldier briefly in the German army, and Herzog did not see a screen or film until he was a teenager.

Craftsman
    My best friend well worth watching , a good insight into Herzog and kinski relationship

"The God Equation. The Quest for a Theory of Everything," by Professor Michio Kaku.

A good, generally easy to read book. Much easier than "A Brief History of Time." It made me wish that I studied harder when I was at University.

Three Day Road - Joseph Boyden an amazing First World War tale of two Cree Indian snipers. Highly recommended

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The graphic novel Tonoharu: Part One by Lars Martinson about an assistant English teacher in rural Japan is quite good. I am happy to have parts two and three in hardcover still to go. The meticulously penned artwork took 13 years to make:

I also started Gandhi’s autobiography The Story of My Experiments with Truth which is available as a free eBook in English at https://www.mkgandhi.org/ebks/gandhiebooks.htm. It was written in weekly installments for a journal in the late 1920s. I will probably follow this with Gandhi Before India by Ramachandra Guha.

Gandhi was a law student in London around 1890. That could be an interesting Sherlock Holmes case, maybe involving vegetarianism?
    Last edited by williemays; 3rd October 2022 at 14:32.

Yes, I re-read this the other day as it has been a good while since I first read it.

I can thoroughly recommend it. The reviews are excellent, and it has been the Number One bestseller in several Amazon categories.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lost-Files-...ps%2C88&sr=8-1

Full disclosure - I wrote it, so this is a shameless plug as I consider writing a sequel. I also have a new novel (the first of a series) out next year. I'll let the forum know when it is published.

So clever my foot fell off.

Blog Entries

I bought this for the USA flights

The Seven Moons of Maali Almeida - Won the booker prize this year.

… & ’ cos the movie choice is pretty poor on Delta

I’m half way through it’s pretty good IMHO.

z
    Last edited by zelig; 23rd October 2022 at 01:35.

James Patterson's "Blowback" is a winner!

Last edited by pacifichrono; 23rd October 2022 at 20:29.

Master
    Not read it yet but on Oct 25 th No Plan B is released. This is the Third Andre/Lee Child cooperation. Lets see how Andrew’s style is developing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I bought this for the USA flights

The Seven Moons of Maali Almeida - Won the booker prize this year.

… & ’ cos the movie choice is pretty poor on Delta

I’m half way through it’s pretty good IMHO.

z
    I finished it this week - & I liked it.

i think I’ll look into his debut novel too

z

I enjoyed "The Thirty-Nine Steps" by John Buchan from 1915. It is a man-on-the-run thriller, or "shocker" as the author described it, and reminds me of "Rogue Male" by Geoffrey Household from 1939 which I read recently. It is also similar in some ways to early Agatha Christie.

The premise seems vaguely anti-Semitic, or maybe I just misunderstood it, since it is a bit muddled: a mysterious cabal is conspiring to start a European war for profit. The hero discovers this after a flatmate is murdered, flees for his life by train to Galloway, and later attempts to foil the plot.

I liked the descriptions of Scotland and of the southeast English coast. The Vintage 2011 paperback edition has the original or early typography, too, which is a pleasure to read.

Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    I enjoyed "The Thirty-Nine Steps" by John Buchan from 1915. It is a man-on-the-run thriller, or "shocker" as the author described it, and reminds me of "Rogue Male" by Geoffrey Household from 1939 which I read recently. It is also similar in some ways to early Agatha Christie.

The premise seems vaguely anti-Semitic, or maybe I just misunderstood it, since it is a bit muddled: a mysterious cabal is conspiring to start a European war for profit. The hero discovers this after a flatmate is murdered, flees for his life by train to Galloway, and later attempts to foil the plot.

I liked the descriptions of Scotland and of the southeast English coast. The Vintage 2011 paperback edition has the original or early typography, too, which is a pleasure to read.
    Really enjoyed Rogue Male, The Thirty-Nine Steps not so much.

Master
    The latest Bosch, 'Desert Star', by Michael Connelly, is another great page turner. Finished it in 2 days.

Master
    I'm about 20 pages from the end of Max Hasting's Vietnam. An amazing history of the war and the country.

Tim Hartford's 50 Things That Made the Modern Economy. Fun and informative read, based on the BBC podcast.

The Shadow of the Torturer Gene Wolfe If you like to sci fi weird and though provoking.

Millennium by Tom Holland. A formativer perido in European history. Very well researched, but not always coherent.

Craftsman
    I can heartily recommend George Orwell's 'Down And Out In Paris And London', which I read recently for the first time. It's about dropping out and surviving in poverty in Paris and London in the late 1920's. I really enjoy Orwell's writing and of course '1984' and 'Homage To Catalonia' are essential reading too. His writing is so vivid and touching. He takes you right into the worlds he creates or remembers. Just magical.

It’s belter. Try Mr Standfast too.

Lord Tweedsmuir's The Thirty Nine Steps is excellent (as is the Hitchcock film). Mr Standfast too…

“… I was about ready to change my methods. I had been working by what the highbrows call induction, trying to argue up from the deeds to the doer. Now I tried a new lay, which was to calculate down from the doer to the deeds. They call it deduction”

They do indeed.

It's here https://www.gutenberg.org/files/560/560-h/560-h.htm

…but nicer to flip the pages rather than scroll, I always think:

The ones in the box to the left aren’t too shabby either.

In a similar vein, if I haven’t already done so, may I recommend The Riddle of the Sands by Erskine Childers (whose own story is quite interesting of itself). There's a lot of boating-related preamble as character development before you get to the spy stuff. But, as the better jazz players understand, you've got to have a skirt to flash.

Here https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub...60-images.html

I finished Ian McEwan's, "Machines Like Me." It started off well and was enjoyable to about midway, then I personally felt it lost it's way. It may be a good airport/plane read for many. Pity as it could've been rather good, rather than a 6/10 for me.

Master
    Just finished "Berlin" by Robert Harris. A novel telling of the immediate period leading up to Chamberlain's return from Berlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    …but nicer to flip the pages rather than scroll, I always think:

Just saw this. Are those yours? Very nice looking sets! Early or original print editions are such a joy to read when you can find them.

I am starting The Passenger by Cormac McCarthy, and will continue on with Stella Maris. The writing is amazing, almost Shakespearan, and watches pop up occasionally.

Just finished Evelyn Waugh's Decline and Fall.

Wonderfully well written and an absolute hoot.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    The latest Bosch, 'Desert Star', by Michael Connelly, is another great page turner. Finished it in 2 days.

Looking forward to that, currently reading The Dark Hours.

I just finished High Performance about the happy period of the British Motor Industry before industrial strife, mismanagement, infighting and complacency led to it's decline and ultimate demise.

An interesting and enjoyable book. I was surprised at how many connections existed between the major players.

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Now into The Churchill factor by Boris Johnson.

Whatever one's thoughts about Boris, he certainly can write.

A really interesting and different view of the great man.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Recently read the passenger and Stella maris , some interesting ideas in them , but felt something lacking and iam a fan of McCarthy .
    Always enjoyed Evelyn Waugh comic novels decline and fall probably being his best , I enjoyed the tv adaption that was on a few years back , I have recently started reading shards by Brett Easton Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by misterzero View Post
    Recently read the passenger and Stella maris , some interesting ideas in them , but felt something lacking and iam a fan of McCarthy .
    Always enjoyed Evelyn Waugh comic novels decline and fall probably being his best , I enjoyed the tv adaption that was on a few years back
    , I have recently started reading shards by Brett Easton Ellis

That was good wasn't it? Great cast too.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Just finished 'Hail Mary' by Andy Weir. The author who wrote 'The Martian'. It was an excellent sci-fi read. Very positive and uplifting.

Just saw this. Are those yours? Very nice looking sets!
    They are mine, I seem to have acquired a couple of bookshelves of them over the years. Always well made, on good paper, and often featuring original commissions for the cover designs. I'd take a pic of them all, but it would just look like every middle-manager’s Zoom background.

While away some time here instead, if interested https://www.foliosociety.com/ (but be warned, it can be addictive)

TT

Thanks for the link. I will take a look.

This is one of my favorites, a play rather than a novel, but in book form. I do not know much about this particular edition or value, but it is a remnant of a lost era. The story is surprisingly rich, intense and violent. It is one of my favorite movies, too.

https://openlibrary.org/books/OL6318...trified_forest

Some light reading by the fire.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Now into The Churchill factor by Boris Johnson.

Whatever one's thoughts about Boris, he certainly can write.

A really interesting and different view of the great man.

Thank you for the recommendation

Some people are crazy - The John Martyn Story

This is a fine biography by John Neal Munro. I love John Martyn's music, saw him live many times. I always avoided meeting him, as I was told he was very tricky! After reading the book, I made a wise decision. Such a waste... but with talent at that level it was probably inevitable that his life would be short and messy. The chapter on his friends Nick Drake and Paul Kossoff is particularly poignant. If your a fan? Its a must read.

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    This is a fine biography by John Neal Munro. I love John Martyn's music, saw him live many times. I always avoided meeting him, as I was told he was very tricky! After reading the book, I made a wise decision. Such a waste... but with talent at that level it was probably inevitable that his life would be short and messy. The chapter on his friends Nick Drake and Paul Kossoff is particularly poignant. If your a fan? Its a must read.
    Might have to get that. Now off to dig out Solid Air

I read this after hearing the author on a podcast.

A Canadians experience of his 6 years in the Foreign Legion in the 90s.

Appel: A Canadian in the French Foreign Legion

https://amzn.eu/d/izZAzP1

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jools View Post
    Might have to get that. Now off to dig out Solid Air
    Send me your address I'll post it to you!

Craftsman
    Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin.

It's about two friends who love computer games and grow up to write them together. If you have gamed it will be of interest, but it is also about love, friendship, race...all sorts. It spans a long time too, and I love books whether you are on a journey with the people.

Really loved it.

Biography of one of my favourite writers - Patrick Hamilton.

Brilliant so far...

Cheers,
    Neil.

Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir.

Nice bit of sci-fi from the writer of The Martian. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Last edited by gunner; 6th April 2023 at 09:39.

Master
    Star of the Sea by Joseph O’Connor. Mid 19th century novel set in starving Ireland, London and aboard a ship set for America. Not normally my thing but it’s just fantastically well written!

Master
    Some time ago a member on here very kindly sent me The Hail Mary Project foc and due to various circumstances I've for gotten who it was and I've deleted my history but if anyone wants it to read then pass on please give me an address and I'll get sent in the next few days.
    I read a lot of sci-fi, middle-ages fiction, fantasy so if anyone is looking for anything particular let me know and if I've got it I would be happy to send it on.
    It would be good if we could have a bit of a book club on the forum to send and receive books to each other. We would have to put up lists of what we've got and looking for.

Craftsman
    Reading:

The Heart of Buddha's Teaching

By Thich Nhat Hanh.

Read it for the first time about 15 years ago. Then lent my copy to someone and never got it back LOL.

Third time reading it - early in the morning with a cup of coffee - and it keeps getting better and better.

Or maybe I keep getting older and older and it just makes more sense =)

Chapter 6: Stopping, Calming, Resting, Healing - is pure gold.

Anyway...

...Highly recommended.

Recently finished Dead Inside by Chandler Morrison, a book about a relationship between necrophiliac and a cannibal. Enjoyably disgusting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir.

Nice bit of sci-fi from the writer of The Martian. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Thanks' I'll look out for that, very much enjoyed the Martian.

Decline and Fall
    Evelyn Waugh

"Sent down from Oxford for indecent behaviour, Paul Pennyfeather is oddly unsurprised to find himself qualifying for the position of schoolmaster at Llanabba Castle. Hi colleagues are an assortment of misfits, rascals and fools, including Prendy (plagued by doubts) and Captain Grimes, who is always in the soup (or just plain drunk). Then Sports Day arrives, and with it the delectable Margot Beste-Chetwynde, floating on a scented breeze. As the farce unfolds and the young run riot, no one is safe, least of all Paul."

Also...

The Queen's True Worth - Unravelling the Public and Private Finances of Elizabeth II
    David McClure

"How rich is the Queen and where did her wealth come from?

Have you ever wondered where the funding for the Queen's priceless jewellery, gilded carriages and opulent palaces comes from? Not to mention the lavish royal weddings, as well as the divorce settlements.

Senior royals cannot earn their own private income, so what is the source of this immense wealth?

Drawing on previously-unseen state papers and interviews with palace insiders, David McClure's fascinating investigation outlines the many ways in which funds are secured to maintain royal lifestyles, including a £100 million stamp collection, a £10 million fleet of vintage cars, a valuable horse-racing stud and a small fortune in wedding and other semi-private gifts."

All this happens in the midsts of royalty pleading poverty, and their financial obfuscation. The book also dispels many of the myths surrounding our royalty including the money they draw into the country through tourism. Apparently Chester Zoo is more popular.

I still have...

Iberia
    Julian Sayerer

"Through Medterranean landscapes and baked roads, Julian Sayerer pedals east across Portugal and Spain, towards Barcelona. Under the rotation of wheels and against the backdrop of a pandemic, time collapses steadily into the impulse simply to ride. During long hours in the saddle, Sayerer's thoughts traverse matters big and small, from the legacy of colonial empires to the perfection of an orange picked at the roadside. This is a journey through the in-between places we seldom visit, about the lives being lived there, and an old blue bicycle called Miles."

Rather then let books gather dust on my bookshelf I give them away free of charge once read. If you would like to be the next person to read one of these books then leave a note of interest in the thread, then PM me your details so that I can put the book in the post to you. UK only please due to postage costs.

Next on the reading list is:

Something by the DVSA

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Thanks' I'll look out for that, very much enjoyed the Martian.
    It’s a great book. Has anyone read Artemis, by Andy Weir? It doesn’t get quite as good reviews as the other two.

I tried reading "Project Hail Mary" by Andy Weir. I just can not get into it. The writing style is just not for me. Also I have great difficulty in reading in the first person for most books, let alone ones I can't get into.

I've been trying to get hold of a copy of Erich Lustbader's "Ninja." I used to see it everywhere when I was a kid. I thought I may try it out.

Cor Eric van Lustbader´s Ninja takes me back...top quality ninja skills to pay the bills and a fair bit of kinky sex, helluva read for an adolescent that one.