closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,400 of 2555

Thread: Anyone read any good books recently ?

I just finished this which was excellent. A gory horror story with a great heroine and a nice line in movie criticism too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    I feel like I need to be reading a book with Hawk in the title

You could try Hawk ! By James Patterson plus co writer. Gritty urban / fantasy, easy read/ listen.

Steve

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Chickenhawk,is well worth a read.

Master
    I feel like I need to be reading a book with Hawk in the title

Why not give H is for Hawk, by Helen MacDonald, a try? A woman’s account of becoming a falconer. I’m going to read it again this week.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Why not give H is for Hawk, by Helen MacDonald, a try? A woman’s account of becoming a falconer. I’m going to read it again this week.
    I have heard good things about that

Master
    I have heard good things about that

Vesper Flights is next on my reading list.

Just found out that there is a new book in Bernard Cornwell's "Sharpe" series coming out at the end of the month: Sharpe's Assassin. Can't wait!

Nemesis Games - James SA Corey, absolutely superb.

Master

I haveve been trying to read a few books by different authors, but can't get into them. The book I am about to start is one by Iain M Banks's good friend Ken MacLeod, called "Cosmonaut Keep." Fingers crossed that it will be good.

Currently Final Option by Clive Cussler which is a cracking read.

Final option being prophetic as it was probably one of his last books.

Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Currently Final Option by Clive Cussler which is a cracking read.

Final option being prophetic as it was probably one of his last books.
    I always wonder how much input the 'big name' has into books like this.

I remember buying a Tom Clancy book and only noticing the tiny 'and XXXXX' after I got it home.

It wasn't the worst thing I'd ever read, but it sure as hell wasn't a match for any of Clancy's early work.

Some of the others (by another 'and' author) have far more of an authentic Clancy feel, but it just seems a bit fraudulent to publish a book with a popular author's name in large font and another as an 'And' in smaller font, especially when you get the distinct feeling the big name probably only accepted a cheque for the use of his name...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I always wonder how much input the 'big name' has into books like this.

I remember buying a Tom Clancy book and only noticing the tiny 'and XXXXX' after I got it home.

It wasn't the worst thing I'd ever read, but it sure as hell wasn't a match for any of Clancy's early work.

Some of the others (by another 'and' author) have far more of an authentic Clancy feel, but it just seems a bit fraudulent to publish a book with a popular author's name in large font and another as an 'And' in smaller font, especially when you get the distinct feeling the big name probably only accepted a cheque for the use of his name...

M
    I must admit I haven't noticed any drop in quality or style from when Cussler wrote them all himself in the early volumes, in fact I often prefer the joint efforts.

T'was ever thus though, a lot of the old masters used to have a gang of apprentices doing a lot of the work on their paintings while they came along with the important twiddles.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

Anyone read John le Carre's new (and final) novel: "Silverview?"

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Anyone read John le Carre's new (and final) novel: "Silverview?"
    Yup. It's a bit short and the end is uncharacteristic - I believe he left it unfinished and one of his sons completed it. I enjoyed it though.

Quote Originally Posted by jools View Post
    Yup. It's a bit short and the end is uncharacteristic - I believe he left it unfinished and one of his sons completed it. I enjoyed it though.
    Thanks!

Tried "Cosmonaut Keep" by Ken MacLeod, but couldn't get into it. Have been trying Alfred Bester without much luck and even N K Jemisin "The Fifth Season," but both authors are not for me. I genuinely have been spoiled by Iain M Bank's Sci Fi books. I will try "Redemption Protocol," by Mike Freeman and see if I get on with it, as people say if you like Banks you "should" like this series. Worst comes to worst, I will read the non Culture books by Iain. I wanted to save them for another time and try other sci-fi authors, but unfortunately I don't seem to be able to find others. May start reading fantasy fiction again after a couple of decades away from it , or even other fiction genres.

I have started The Return of the Pharaoh by Nicholas Meyer. It has a tinge of silliness which is slightly off putting. Doyle’s original canon has a dark edginess that I am not seeing here yet, but I am only a couple of chapters in, and it is always fun to read a new Sherlock Holmes story.

Master
    I'm reading a few things at once.

You Only Live Twice. One of the sillier Bond novels, but a great travelogue of Japan. I've read a Bond novel a month this year, so one more to go. The series peaks at On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Half way though Dispatches by Michael Herr. I've read it previously but well worth a re-read. For those who don't know, Herr was a war correspondent in Vietnam and then worked as a consultant for Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket.

A World Without Email. Reads like a series of blog articles, but some interesting ideas.

Little, Big by John Crowley. It's a fantasy novel, or better described as a fairy story. I've been reading it very slowly as it is meandering and surreal in parts, but never dull.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Half way though Dispatches by Michael Herr. I've read it previously but well worth a re-read. For those who don't know, Herr was a war correspondent in Vietnam and then worked as a consultant for Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket.
    I recently re-read The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien who at an authors event said that Dispatches by Michael Herr is one of the few books about the Vietnam War that he admires.

Just finished Jay Morton's(Ex SAS) "Soldier". A great insight on how he uses his Special Forces skills at work and everyday life. A good read if your in management.

"No Way Out" an account of a British company besieged in Helmand province. Salutory reading given the recent withdrawal.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    Tried "Cosmonaut Keep" by Ken MacLeod, but couldn't get into it. Have been trying Alfred Bester without much luck and even N K Jemisin "The Fifth Season," but both authors are not for me. I genuinely have been spoiled by Iain M Bank's Sci Fi books. I will try "Redemption Protocol," by Mike Freeman and see if I get on with it, as people say if you like Banks you "should" like this series. Worst comes to worst, I will read the non Culture books by Iain. I wanted to save them for another time and try other sci-fi authors, but unfortunately I don't seem to be able to find others. May start reading fantasy fiction again after a couple of decades away from it , or even other fiction genres.
    Try the "Revelation Space" series by Alastair, although it is a bit darker. Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon trilogy if you don't mind stylish ultra-violence. Neal Asher's books are tongue-in-cheek SF. Sorry if you have heard of and tried them all, but all authors I am happy to re-read (along with Iain M.)

My favourite last book was a first person account of a US lieutenant (leftenant?) fighting from the day after D-Day to the end of the war... "If You Survive: From Normandy to the Battle of the Bulge to the End of World War II" by George Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    Have a look at some of these?

https://fivebooks.com/category/fiction/science-fiction/

I rarely read fiction; the real World is fascinating enough. The latest read has been outstanding: Becoming Forest by Rob Pope. This guy actually ran across the USA several times and he's a scouser (for anyone outside the UK that means someone from Liverpool); the book is hilarious and inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by in_denial View Post
    Try the "Revelation Space" series by Alastair, although it is a bit darker. Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon trilogy if you don't mind stylish ultra-violence. Neal Asher's books are tongue-in-cheek SF. Sorry if you have heard of and tried them all, but all authors I am happy to re-read (along with Iain M.)

My favourite last book was a first person account of a US lieutenant (leftenant?) fighting from the day after D-Day to the end of the war... "If You Survive: From Normandy to the Battle of the Bulge to the End of World War II" by George Wilson
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Thank you both for the suggestions. I've tried Asher, Reynolds and Morgan, but the books I tried of theirs didn't really hook me. Strangely as well as being recommended Mike Freeman, I read somewhere that if you like Banks then you may enjoy, "Singularity Sky," by Charles Stross. I've been reading it and it's been good so far. Fingers crossed it will continue this way.

Finished Charles Stross's "Singularity Sky." It reads a bit like a Culture lite novel, but with more scientific verbage and terms. Those looking for something to read after the passing of the much missed Iain M Banks, could do worse. I will read the second book some time. The plot isn't as detailed or intricate as Culture novels, it's more fast paced and you don't care much for the characters, but interesting all the same.

I have not read (books) much at all for months, reading off the internet instead, but a review of Homesick - Why I Live in a Shed by Catrina Davies, made me change my habits. I am not far into it but it is proving a sobering read, and should be read by those renting and those with spare properties to rent out alike. I bought a second copy for my partner, who is thoroughly enjoying it too.

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Nemesis Games - James SA Corey, absolutely superb.
    I have read the whole series, twice and imo it is the best and most credible sci-fi series I have ever read. Even better than Stephen Baxter/Terry Pratchett Long...... books. I am awaiting my local library to buy and deliver the final book Leviathan Falls, can't wait.

After a several-year hiatus from reading Jack Reacher books, I decided to dive in again with Lee Child's The Midnight Line.

Excellent read.

Just downloaded Past Tense for another Jack Reacher thrill ride!

Master
    Started to read the Orphan X series by Gregg Hurwitz, loving them so far.

Currently reading D-Day by Anthony Beevor.

He really goes into the minutiae.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

I am reading two new collections of 1960s Japanese comics by Yoshiharu Tsuge, The Swamp and Red Flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I have read the whole series, twice and imo it is the best and most credible sci-fi series I have ever read. Even better than Stephen Baxter/Terry Pratchett Long...... books. I am awaiting my local library to buy and deliver the final book Leviathan Falls, can't wait.
    Just finished Persepolis Rising, 2 to go. The television series really does not do this epic adventure justice. It just gets better and better in the books anyhow. I see Leviathan falls is out in hardback, I'll wait for the paperback if I can?

I just finished this which was excellent. A gory horror story with a great heroine and a nice line in movie criticism too

Thanks for the recommendation. I just downloaded it on Amazon Kindle.

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    I have not read (books) much at all for months, reading off the internet instead, but a review of Homesick - Why I Live in a Shed by Catrina Davies, made me change my habits. I am not far into it but it is proving a sobering read, and should be read by those renting and those with spare properties to rent out alike. I bought a second copy for my partner, who is thoroughly enjoying it too.
    Thanks for highlighting that one.
    M
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Just finished Persepolis Rising, 2 to go. The television series really does not do this epic adventure justice. It just gets better and better in the books anyhow. I see Leviathan falls is out in hardback, I'll wait for the paperback if I can?
    As soon as I heard Leviathan Falls had been published I asked my local library to buy it in, something they will do for a reservation fee of 50p. Bargain.

Master
    New Bosch/Ballard novel by Michael Connelly is a good 'un.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Homesick - Why I Live in a Shed
    Catrina Davies

Having missed the opportunity of buying a house as prices soared, Catrina finds herself living in a shared rented house with 4 strangers and one of their children. She is working to pay the rent each month, and realises that there must be more to life than this. Having enjoyed life in Cornwall she moves back to live in a lone shed, near a crossroads, that belonged to her Dad. Many of the houses in the local village are empty for most of the year, second homes for those that got in early, or AirBnBs for the real entreprneurs. Locals move out of their houses to tents in relatives gardens so that they can soak up some income in this poorly paid part of the world. Living in a shed is a real trial. No toilet, an outside cold water tap, mice, rats, and the shed crumbling are some of the many hurdles to overcome. A book that should be read by all tenants and landlords, describes the parlous state of housing opportunity in the UK, and the way that common land has disappeared into others' ownership.

Rather then let books gather dust on my bookshelf I give them away free of charge once read. If you would like to be the next person to read this book then leave a note of interest in the thread, then PM me your details so that I can put the book in the post to you. UK only please due to postage costs.

***NOW PASSED ON, OFF THE FORUM***

Next on the reading list is:

...continuing with

Combed Out
    FA Voigt
    Kindle Edition
    Last edited by Templogin; 6th February 2022 at 18:29. Reason: Additional Info

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    New Bosch/Ballard novel by Michael Connelly is a good 'un.

The Dark Hours?

I've just read the first Ballard and Bosch novel and enjoyed it.

The Haller/Bosch ones are good, too, although to be honest I've enjoyed all the Conelley novels I've read.

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    The Dark Hours?

I've just read the first Ballard and Bosch novel and enjoyed it.

The Haller/Bosch ones are good, too, although to be honest I've enjoyed all the Conelley novels I've read.

M

Yeah, 'The Dark Hours'. I binged on all the Connelly about 7 years ago. Since then I've had to wait patiently for each one. Enjoyed every one but City of Bones and Angel's flight stand out for me.

Have finished two books over the last month:

"The Devil and Miss Prym," by Paulo Coelho. It started off really well and was interesting, but got a bit meh maybe 2/3's of the way through. Pity as it had promise. Not as good as "Veronica Decides to Die," or "The Alchemist."

"Iron Sunrise," by Charles Stross. It's a solid read. As with his other book "Singularly Sky," it feels like Culture lite. Though not as much as Singularity. It seems to be a mix of Baxter scientific stuff, mixed with a Culture style adventure. However not as good as it sounds. The mix should be my ideal read, but it's more of a mystery book. Still would recommend, like Singularity, for those, like myself, who miss Iain M Banks. The story does end with what looks like potential for more, but apparently Stross isn't planning on doing any more in the series. He has other series which I will delve into. "Singularity Sky" and "Iron Sunrise" are successive novels in the same universe, but don't require consecutive reading.

Patrol - Fred Majdalany one of the books in the IWM series. Pointless patrol in the desert.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Currently half way through Around The World In Eighty Days by Jules Verne .
    I loved it when I first read it and it doesn’t disappoint this time round .

Craftsman
    I recently read "The Dinner" by Herman Koch, and am a bit surprised by the lukewarm reviews - I thought it was great. I'm now reading the Ballard series of books by Michael Connelly. I've been a Harry Bosch fan for a while, and so far these are pretty good.

Master
    The Man Who Bought a Navy, some will know but for those who dont, at the end of world war one we repossessed the German navy, stuck it up at Scapa Flow and had a few meetings about divvying it up. The lead head for the Germans took it on himself to scuttle the whole thing,258 ships. Ernest Cox a Bristol Scrapman wit hno previous for salvage of any nature bought them all for £50 a ship, and in a time when the technology didnt exist for salvaging 30000 ton warships, upside down in 50m of water, not withstanding that getting to Orkney at that time was a bit more onerous than a long day behind the wheel of your S class. Pioneer in his field this gentleman.

Master
    The Spy and the Traitor. Excellent
    And a very different book, but it also references Gordievsky, How To Think Like a Spy.
    White Eagles over Serbia Lawrence Durell. A classic Cold War spy story.
    Beowulf - Seamus Heaney translation. Where it all started.

2022 Projects, all heavy going but worthwhile.. They also help put me to sleep at night.
    The Bible New Cambridge Paragraph KJV.
    Meditations - Marcus Aurelius.
    Histories - Herodotus.

Anyone read any good books recently ?

I recently enjoyed two thrillers:

Black Sunday by Thomas Harris, 1975, about a terrorist attack on the Super Bowl delivered by blimp

Rogue Male by Geoffrey Household, 1939, about a British big-game hunter who has Hitler in his gunsights

Rogue Male is much better, although not what I expected. It reminded me of The Children of Men by P.D. James and the Leonardo DiCaprio film The Revenant, the wilderness scenes taking place in Dorset.

The most shocking thing about Black Sunday— (spoiler alert)— is when the villain puts a kitten in a garbage disposal. The romance is silly, and flying and exploding a blimp over a sports stadium seems technically implausible.
    Last edited by williemays; 13th March 2022 at 18:56.

Tiamats Wrath - James SA Corey, book 8 in the wonderful Expanse series. Only one to go now.:(

Tiamats Wrath - James SA Corey, book 8 in the wonderful Expanse series. Only one to go now.:(
    Let me know what you think of Leviathan Falls. I've finished the series and it's like saying goodbye to an old friend.