closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 32 of 52 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,600 of 2555

Thread: Anyone read any good books recently ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan_DK View Post
    I watched the pilot yesterday for the new tv show with the Harry Bosch character, could be interesting..
    I just hope they do a better job than that awful Clint Eastwood adaptation of Blood work.

Agreed. Must have read them all over the years.

Just finished Tatiana by Martin Cruz Smith. Another great writer.

I watched the pilot yesterday for the new tv show with the Harry Bosch character, could be interesting..
    What was it called?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chukas View Post
    What was it called?
    Just "Bosch" :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    Yes, he's ruined many popular authors for me, exactly for this reason (Jack Reacher books etc). You could try his non-Bosch novels, but they're not as good. the Mickey Haller ones are OK, the completely stand-alone ones aren't great.
    I thought 'The Lincoln Lawyer' was pretty good and Bosch makes an appearance. Apparently the film was half decent too, although I haven't seen it.

Re the Bosch TV series, I sent the IMDB link to a friend who is a big Connelly fan and he said 'but Bosch has a moustache in the books!'

Journeyman
    Reading liar's poker by michael Lewis. Pretty good so far

Game of Thrones

Just finished the last one in book 5. Its a great read and very engaging.

The only downside is that there are 3 more books to go and no timeline for delivery.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    Just finished the last one in book 5. Its a great read and very engaging.

The only downside is that there are 3 more books to go and no timeline for delivery.
    3 more ? I thought there were many unfinished story lines after book 5. Wish he'd hurry up :-)

If you're looking for some very good ( and very different ) fantasy, I'd very much recommend anything by Joe Abercrombie.

Finished 'One Day' by David Nicholls last night and it was incredible.
    For probably 75% of it, I thought "this is good but it feels slight". As much as I was enjoying it, I couldn't see that it had a great deal of point. Having now finished it I see how wrong I was, what Nicholls has done is create two characters who are so utterly true and real that you feel like you know them. You feel their joy and pain in a natural, organic way, rather than as a distanced reader.
    'One Day' is a really wonderful book and got under my skin to the extent that the morning after finishing it I'm still feeling it. Great book.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    Finished 'One Day' by David Nicholls last night and it was incredible.
    For probably 75% of it, I thought "this is good but it feels slight". As much as I was enjoying it, I couldn't see that it had a great deal of point. Having now finished it I see how wrong I was, what Nicholls has done is create two characters who are so utterly true and real that you feel like you know them. You feel their joy and pain in a natural, organic way, rather than as a distanced reader.
    'One Day' is a really wonderful book and got under my skin to the extent that the morning after finishing it I'm still feeling it. Great book.

Yep. I agree.

Karl Marlantes - "what it is like to go to war". If you interested in the psychological effects of war then this book is necessary reading.

Craftsman

Anyone read any good books recently ?

For anyone who enjoys a bit of fantasy:

"The name of the wind" by Patrick Rothfuss closely followed I am sure by the second book in the trilogy: "The wise man's fear".

Craftsman
    Just re-read 39 Steps for the first time in nearly 50 years! What a great 'yarn'. Timeless classic. Inspired me to revisit a volume of Dorothy L Sayers tales of Lord Peter Wimsey and Monty Egg. Marvellous innocence about them.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    3 more ? I thought there were many unfinished story lines after book 5. Wish he'd hurry up :-)

If you're looking for some very good ( and very different ) fantasy, I'd very much recommend anything by Joe Abercrombie.

Love Logan nine fingers, one of my favorite characters ever
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    For anyone who enjoys a bit of fantasy:

"The name of the wind" by Patrick Rothfuss closely followed I am sure by the second book in the trilogy: "The wise man's fear".
    Great books wife and sun love tem as well.

I have read all of the game of thrones books - my friend was the mountain that rides in the first series. When I heard he was to be in the show I thought I would give the books a try.

I also like Richard Morgan and Peter v Brett for fantasy
    Last edited by maccer; 16th February 2014 at 01:05.

Journeyman
    Logan Nine-Fingers. Oh yes. "You have to be realistic about these things" :-)
    Not to mention Sand den Glokta.. one of the most interesting fantasy characters ever.

Richard Morgan is very good. Love his Takeshi Kovacs series..
    Last edited by Jan_DK; 16th February 2014 at 04:18.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I thought 'The Lincoln Lawyer' was pretty good and Bosch makes an appearance. Apparently the film was half decent too, although I haven't seen it.

Re the Bosch TV series, I sent the IMDB link to a friend who is a big Connelly fan and he said 'but Bosch has a moustache in the books!'
    I've just downloaded the latest Haller book - I don't think they're as good as the Bosch books, but they still compare very well to most in the same genre.

Just checked out IMDB, and maybe the TV series won't be too bad. From what I remember of Lost, Titus Welliver was pretty good. Hopefully it won't be the standard Hollywood maverick cop whose boss will have their badge if they don't close the case in 24 hours.

Anyhow, Dennis Lehane isn't bad either - he has a series of PI novels, as well as some good standalone books (Shutter Island etc).

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Logan Nine-Fingers. Oh yes. "You have to be realistic about these things" :-)
    Not to mention Sand den Glokta.. one of the most interesting fantasy characters ever.

Richard Morgan is very good. Love his Takeshi Kovacs series..
    Indeeed

The film rights to the first Takeshi Kovacs novel was sold when the book was released would love to see it on the big screen.

I like all the Peter F Hamilton older stuff went off him but his recent book think its called ''Great North Road" was very good.

Craftsman
    Really, really liked Altered Carbon - I reckon it'd translate really well to the big screen too.

Journeyman
    Would love to see an Altered Carbon movie, we need more good science fiction.

Alistair Reynolds has some stories that could be fantastic movies too. Reminds me I need to look up what he's done lately :-)

If you like audiobooks, the audio version of "Great North Road" is very, very good.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Would love to see an Altered Carbon movie, we need more good science fiction.

Alistair Reynolds has some stories that could be fantastic movies too. Reminds me I need to look up what he's done lately :-)

If you like audiobooks, the audio version of "Great North Road" is very, very good.

I listen to a lot of audiobooks currently on the 2nd book in the wheel of time. I read all of Alstair reynolds early stuff then got bored need to check him out again. I also loved the Cormac series by Neal Asher.

This thread is reminding me of some great books.

Just half way through Neal Asher's 'Orbus' which is book 3 of the 'Spatterjay' series.

Brilliant action packed series full of weird alien-ness and convoluted intertwined mystery.

Journeyman
    Some of you people have excellent taste in science fiction and fantasy

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    Just half way through Neal Asher's 'Orbus' which is book 3 of the 'Spatterjay' series.

Brilliant action packed series full of weird alien-ness and convoluted intertwined mystery.
    I loved the spatterjay series - great books

Just started Robert Harris' Enigma.

Interesting read so far.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Peter James Roy grace series of books is worth a read.

Oh Stephen leathers series of dan spider shepherd are good to.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Just started Robert Harris' Enigma.

Interesting read so far.
    His "An Officer and a Spy" is on my e-reader. Liked every book of his so far, a great writer.

Well, have now finished 'Prador Moon'. a rather short book by Neal Asher. Not bad, not a lot of depth to the characters, a bit 'Dan Dare' in places.
    Preferred Spatterjay series.
    Have just ordered 'Departures' from same author.

Good books

Wounded From Battlefield to Blighty, 1914-1918 by Emily Mayhew, moving and powerful

Craftsman
    I finished "The Gods of Guilt" by Michael Connelly (latest Mickey Haller book). I've either forgotten a lot since the last one, or I missed a book in the series, because it feels like a lot happened since the last book. Anyway, not a bad read - but the Haller books just aren't as good as the Bosch ones IMO.

I've started reading "Gorky Park", a Soviet crime fiction book. It's the first in a series, so hoping I've found a set of books I can get stuck into.

Journeyman
    I finished "The Gods of Guilt" by Michael Connelly (latest Mickey Haller book). I've either forgotten a lot since the last one, or I missed a book in the series, because it feels like a lot happened since the last book. Anyway, not a bad read - but the Haller books just aren't as good as the Bosch ones IMO.

I've started reading "Gorky Park", a Soviet crime fiction book. It's the first in a series, so hoping I've found a set of books I can get stuck into.
    That would be Martin Cruz Smith's Arkady Renko series. I would very much recommend them. If you like his writing, there's a lot of good reading ahead of you :-) Gorky Park was made into a movie way back. William Hurt as Renko and Lee Marvin as the bad guy :-)

Craftsman
    That would be Martin Cruz Smith's Arkady Renko series. I would very much recommend them. If you like his writing, there's a lot of good reading ahead of you :-) Gorky Park was made into a movie way back. William Hurt as Renko and Lee Marvin as the bad guy :-)
    That's great to hear! I'm enjoying it so far, and enjoyed similar books like The Holy Thief and the Demidov series.

Don't know if I can finish this one..

Its first publish in 1968, and the language is so esoteric and cheesy its a bit of put off. Way groovy and hip dudes. Of its time.

Journeyman
    Don't know if I can finish this one..

Its first publish in 1968, and the language is so esoteric and cheesy its a bit of put off. Way groovy and hip dudes. Of its time.
    Never even heard of that one, but there sure was a lot of weird SF in that period.

Just bought this in a local sale:

Read his first book, "The Quantum Thief". Bit weird , but I liked it :-) Hope I'll enjoy this one.

Flash Boys by Michael Lewis. One to read if you haven't quite got enough reasons to despise the financial industry, or enjoy tales of innovation and greed outpacing regulation and incompetence.

Ugly Americans by Ben Mezrich. One to read if you haven't quite got enough reasons to despise the financial industry, or enjoy tales of innovation and greed outpacing regulation and incompetence, plus oriental sex and debauchery.

Paul

Use of weapons is another good Ian M Banks book. Rip Mr Banks.

I bought 4 books by an author who was recommended to me but he writes in a style which I believe is known as "timeslip". Alternate chapters are set in different times and at some point, it becomes clear how the two stories are related. I'm not impressed.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

What author Eddie?

Bit brave of you to buy 4 books in one go from an author you haven't read before too. I like to one book from a new guy before I buy any further.

BTW I am just finishing book 3 of the Owner series by Neal Asher; Excellent!

Any further recommendations from similar authors sci-fi fans??

Craftsman
    I've just finished "Disgrace" by Jussi Adler Olsen, the second in a series of Danish detective books - pretty enjoyable.

I'm reading "True Detective" by Max Allan Collins now, based on a recommendation from this thread. It's good so far; a bit easier to read than the Ellroy novels (they're set a few decades later, but not too dissimilar).

I've just finished "Disgrace" by Jussi Adler Olsen, the second in a series of Danish detective books - pretty enjoyable.

I'm reading "True Detective" by Max Allan Collins now, based on a recommendation from this thread. It's good so far; a bit easier to read than the Ellroy novels (they're set a few decades later, but not too dissimilar).
    Was that my recommendation? I enjoyed that, and have the second in my virtual to read pile.
    I'm currently reading NOS4R2 by Joe Hill, which is great so far.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    Was that my recommendation? I enjoyed that, and have the second in my virtual to read pile.
    I'm currently reading NOS4R2 by Joe Hill, which is great so far.
    Yes, it was actually! We seem to like the same type of books, so will check out the one you're currently reading.

What author Eddie?

Bit brave of you to buy 4 books in one go from an author you haven't read before too. I like to one book from a new guy before I buy any further.

BTW I am just finishing book 3 of the Owner series by Neal Asher; Excellent!

Any further recommendations from similar authors sci-fi fans??
    The author is Tom Harper and the stories are good, it's just the constant shifting from past to present which stops me really getting stuck into the book.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Currently reading Robert Harris' Archangel, pretty good, I like his stuff.

I am getting a bit low on bedroom books, fortunately the boot sales are open again to stock up.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Grand Master
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bigger-Leane.../dp/B006XF5BTG

Very well written without the Bull
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson,bloody fantastic book.Almost gave up on it but so glad I stuck with it as it's now in my top 10.Set in the present day and WW2,code breaking and code making, following many different characters and nationalities whose threads all tie in together.Fantastic story and very well told,highly recommend it.
    Will now try more Stephenson and give Snow Crash another go as I failed miserably first time round and binned it early doors,fingers crossed it's almost as good as Cryptonomicon

Currently reading the first book in this series. Very good, and Logen Ninefingers is a great character! I have not read much fantasy in my life, but after reading the Game of Thrones series, I felt the urge to read some more.

Has anyone read 'S' by Dough Dorst/JJ Abrams?

It's a novel cum alternate reality game that's pretty interesting that works on three different levels of fiction/reality. On the innermost 'universe' you content of the printed novel itself, Ship of Theseus written by fictional author VM Straka, story about a guy with amnesia abducted and taken to sea. Then on the level above that, you have the story of an undergrad and uni academic that are passing this book between themselves discussing the novel, the identity of Straka, a revolutionary and the conspiracy theories surrounding him by writing to each other in the margins and including paper cuttings, coffeeshop napkins with maps drawn on them, postcards and letters. And then in our reality, there are websites, podcasts, and all sorts of cryptic stuff to add to the 'experience'.

It's quite good in that you can go as deeply as you like; just read it as a novel and that's it, delve deeper into the notes and codes and work some stuff out for yourself or go whole hog and spend the rest of your life posting on forums and wikis trying to solve the entire thing, Lost-style.

It was quite hard work, but fun and made a change. Definitely an interesting take on the traditional novel and a showcase for the physical book over an e-book.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    I'm reading "My Life and Travels - An Anthology" by Wilfred Thesiger (edited by Alexander Maitland). Really superbly written by a man who packed so much into his life it puts me to shame.

Here's a bit about it:

http://books.guardian.co.uk/extracts...029978,00.html

Si
    What an amazing life he lived. I was lucky enough to have 2 hard back copies of his books signed by him just before he died while he was living in a nursing home on the south coast of England. I think he gave the otter to gavin Maxwell of ring of bright water fame

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    Plus another +1 for the Wool books,working my way through them now. I'm up to book 6 and loving them,very different and very very good.
    I just finished the first book - I quite enjoyed it. I don't like heavy sci-fi, but I like futuristic books, if you know what I mean - so this was a good match.

Going to take a break and read the second Arkady Renko book by Martin Cruz Smith before moving on to the next Wool one.

Craftsman
    Joe Abercrombie's books are excellent. As are Patrick Rothfuss'. Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastards series is also excellent.

Oh. As is Terry Brook's Prism series.

Shudder to think of the watch I could buy if I totalled up my book expenditure. :)

The Man in the High Castle

Hi All,

I just read again The Man in the High Castle by PKD, one of my favourites, I'd recommend it to anyone anytime.

Also recently read Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson, allthough more of a romp through important figures in history than the cyberpunk he used to produce it is nevertheless quite entertaining and enjoyable

Richie