closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950
Results 2,451 to 2,464 of 2464

Thread: Anyone read any good books recently ?

Master
    'Mr Wilder and Me' by Jonathan Coe is a great piece of modern cinematic fiction.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Iberia
    Julian Sayerer

From the back page: Through Medterranean landscapes and baked roads, Julian Sayerer pedals east across Portugal and Spain, towards Barcelona. Under the rotation of wheels and against the backdrop of a pandemic, time collapses steadily into the impulse simply to ride. During long hours in the saddle, Sayerer's thoughts traverse matters big and small, from the legacy of colonial empires to the perfection of an orange picked at the roadside. This is a journey through the in-between places we seldom visit, about the lives being lived there, and an olb blue bicycle called Miles.

Rather then let books gather dust on my bookshelf I give them away free of charge once read. If you would like to be the next person to read this book then leave a note of interest in the thread, then PM me your details so that I can put the book in the post to you. UK only please due to postage costs.

Next on the reading list is:

A272: An Ode to a Road

Following up on Japanese authors, I read All The Lovers In The Night by Mieko Kawakami who appears to be emerging as a successor to Haruki Murakami. She interviewed him at https://lithub.com/a-feminist-critiq...akami-himself/.

In her novel, Kawakami blurs lines between characters and narrator, and even author and reader, to the point that it almost seems as if you are a character in the story while simultaneously reading it. Itís very subtle, but she anticipates what the reader is thinking, and then riffs on those thoughts like a jazz musician.

Next I read Fordlandia: The Rise and Fall of Henry Ford's Forgotten Jungle City by Greg Grandin. Working on a failing rubber plantation in the Amazon in the 1930s must have been quite an experience, and the book definitely takes you there, but it does an even better job at describing what a bizarre and cruel person Henry Ford was.

From there I watched the movie Fitzcarraldo and the Les Blank documentary Burden of Dreams, and am currently reading Werner Herzogís journals from that time, Conquest of the Useless. Klaus Kinski stands out as a lunatic.

Herzog has a new novel out called The Twilight World based on the true story of the Japanese soldier who hid on an island for 29 years after the end of WWII. Herzog recently said that he felt most accomplished in his writing, even more so than with his filmmaking, but I may give this one a pass. Has anyone read it yet?

My next book will be Grimmish by Australian Michael Winkler. Itís a sort of boxing novel, but is described in a blurb at https://www.michaelwinkler.com.au/grimmish as ďblazing its own trail of experimental weirdo mindfuckery.Ē

Happy reading!

Craftsman
    Iam a huge fan of Werner Herzog , amazing filmmaker , did you see Aguirre also set in south America . Klaus kinski is very good in it and very intense , a total madman in real life .

Sent from my Pixel 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

Anyone read any good books recently ?

Quote Originally Posted by misterzero View Post
    Iam a huge fan of Werner Herzog , amazing filmmaker , did you see Aguirre also set in south America . Klaus kinski is very good in it and very intense , a total madman in real life .

I have not seen Aguirre yet, but thatís a great suggestion, thank you. Herzog also made a movie about Kinski which I have not seen, My Best Fiend, and Kinski wrote a memoir that Herzog claims is completely fabricated, All I Need is Love. Both were kids in Germany at the end of the war. Kinski was soldier briefly in the German army, and Herzog did not see a screen or film until he was a teenager.

Craftsman
    My best friend well worth watching , a good insight into Herzog and kinski relationship

"The God Equation. The Quest for a Theory of Everything," by Professor Michio Kaku.

A good, generally easy to read book. Much easier than "A Brief History of Time." It made me wish that I studied harder when I was at University.

Three Day Road - Joseph Boyden an amazing First World War tale of two Cree Indian snipers. Highly recommended

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The graphic novel Tonoharu: Part One by Lars Martinson about an assistant English teacher in rural Japan is quite good. I am happy to have parts two and three in hardcover still to go. The meticulously penned artwork took 13 years to make:

I also started Gandhiís autobiography The Story of My Experiments with Truth which is available as a free eBook in English at https://www.mkgandhi.org/ebks/gandhiebooks.htm. It was written in weekly installments for a journal in the late 1920s. I will probably follow this with Gandhi Before India by Ramachandra Guha.

Gandhi was a law student in London around 1890. That could be an interesting Sherlock Holmes case, maybe involving vegetarianism?
    Last edited by williemays; 3rd October 2022 at 14:32.

Yes, I re-read this the other day as it has been a good while since I first read it.

I can thoroughly recommend it. The reviews are excellent, and it has been the Number One bestseller in several Amazon categories.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lost-Files-...ps%2C88&sr=8-1

Full disclosure - I wrote it, so this is a shameless plug as I consider writing a sequel. I also have a new novel (the first of a series) out next year. I'll let the forum know when it is published.

So clever my foot fell off.

Blog Entries

I bought this for the USA flights

The Seven Moons of Maali Almeida - Won the booker prize this year.

… & ’ cos the movie choice is pretty poor on Delta

I’m half way through it’s pretty good IMHO.

z
    Last edited by zelig; 23rd October 2022 at 01:35.

James Patterson's "Blowback" is a winner!

Last edited by pacifichrono; 23rd October 2022 at 20:29.

Master
    Not read it yet but on Oct 25 th No Plan B is released. This is the Third Andre/Lee Child cooperation. Lets see how Andrewís style is developing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I bought this for the USA flights

The Seven Moons of Maali Almeida - Won the booker prize this year.

Ö & í cos the movie choice is pretty poor on Delta

Iím half way through itís pretty good IMHO.

z
    I finished it this week - & I liked it.

i think Iíll look into his debut novel too

z