closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Firefox Issues

Firefox Issues

I know this has been mentioned before but it was a while ago now and the replies may no longer be applicable. Is anyone else having issues with Firefox constantly hanging? It's driving me mad, so any advise or tips would be appreciated.

Master

Re: Firefox Issues

Updated to 3.6RC1 recently and all seems to be very quick and no hanging up at all.....

Master

I've just uninstalled Firefox it and now onto Chrome. After many years with Firefox it was just running too slow, taking 400Mb of memory and most links had to be clicked twice.

Using 3.5.7 with Vista. Never had any problems.

I'm running the lastest version too. I've got no viruses, plenty of ram and disk space free and I've just done a clean up and defrag. Apart from that I don't what else to do, apart from use IE.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697
    I'm running the lastest version too. I've got no viruses, plenty of ram and disk space free and I've just done a clean up and defrag. Apart from that I don't what else to do, apart from use IE.
    Just heard on the news that the German Government has advised the public not to use IE8 because of security issues. I'm running Firefox with no problems in XP.

Rod

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt
    Using 3.5.7 with Vista. Never had any problems.
    Me too - in fact I have never had any problems with Firefox either on XP or Vista - there was a while that I couldn't access my work PC remotely, but that was Citrix' fault.

Master

I'm running firefox version 3.5.7 on XP and I'm definitely having "hanging" problems. I was worried that it was my computer, but I think that it is firefox. I will update to the latest version, but if it doesn't stop, I'm going to switch to Chrome or IE8.

Grand Master

Im running it on a MAc and its been rock solid from the outset, maybe its just a Windows thing!
    RIAC

Firefox on one of my Xp machines is unstable and keeps hanging/crashing. On two other XP machines it is fine. This could be as much to do with different XP builds as it is with Firefox.

Just try Chrome out. It is a lot more stable now than 6 months ago and is very quick.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by secondhand
    Updated to 3.6RC1 recently and all seems to be very quick and no hanging up at all.....
    Same here (on OSX). No problems at all.

Blog Entries

There's a program called ccleaner.com (with 2x c!). When you install this, you can clean up your system from time to time. It keeps your Firefox (and Chrome and IE of that matter) healthy, clean and fast.

Here's a link http://www.ccleaner.com/

Menno

Hi

I was running Firefox and over time it became very slow indeed, and as others have said links would not open. Use Safari and EI, but will be trying chrome very soon as I have heard very good things about it.

Nige

Running 3.0.17 on Linux, no issues at all, but then again it isn't M$ :D

Mark

Master

I did some "research" online last night and it seems that there might be a very simple fix for the hanging issue: clear the cache and reduce the maximum cache size to 24mb or less. My cache cleared automatically, but I reduced the max size and so far, no crashes.... We'll see if that lasts.

I also downloaded CCleaner. If nothing else, it will compliment Revo Uninstaller (which is very good and has a lot of great tools).

Cheers,

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by alljay
    I did some "research" online last night and it seems that there might be a very simple fix for the hanging issue: clear the cache and reduce the maximum cache size to 24mb or less. My cache cleared automatically, but I reduced the max size and so far, no crashes.... We'll see if that lasts.

I also downloaded CCleaner. If nothing else, it will compliment Revo Uninstaller (which is very good and has a lot of great tools).

Cheers,

Jay
    It's just done it again so I've uninstalled it. I might give it another try and clear/reduce the cache as above, although I'm not sure about CC cleaner - what does it doe that's any different to the standard disk cleaner or the additional McAfee one?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697

Cheers,

Jay
    It's just done it again so I've uninstalled it. I might give it another try and clear/reduce the cache as above, although I'm not sure about CC cleaner - what does it doe that's any different to the standard disk cleaner or the additional McAfee one?
    If nothing else, CCleaner just freed up about 400mb on my system. *grin* It found all sorts of old Quicktime and Adobe update files that needed deletion. It seems to be a good program. I can't say whether it does more than the disk cleaner that you use or the McAfee one, but it seems to work pretty well. For uninstalling programs, I can't recommend Revo Uninstaller highly enough; it is VERY thorough!

Try reducing your cache size. For some reason, mine hasn't locked up since I made the change.

Cheers,

Jay

Master

Just an update: no crashes since reducing the size of the cache. I don't know why that worked, but it seems to have cleared up the problem.

Cheers,

Jay

Just an update: no crashes since reducing the size of the cache. I don't know why that worked, but it seems to have cleared up the problem.

Cheers,

Jay
    Same for me so far - hopefully it will work long term. Thanks for the tip.