these just arrived [there was a run on them]
    tuv tested and loads of videos i watched are impressive
    lightweight and easy to carry mine came from the roof box company
    worth getting now ready for the next snow

http://www.autosock.co.uk/

http://www.activeoutdoors.info/activeou ... cle91.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TemOZoV ... re=related

Re: stuck in the snow again i have an alternative to snow chains

They look as though they'd come off too easily and would get ruined in no time by driving on tarmac but apparently not so.

Good for 50km on the tarmac.

That looks like an interesting product.

One tip I heard, but haven't tried yet.

1. Keep a ball of nylon rope/string in the car. It doesn't need to be too thick.
    2. Cut a length long enough to through the wheel and over the tyre, tie it tight with a reef knot.
    3 Repeat 3 or 4 more times so the lengths of rope are equally spaced around the wheel.
    4. IMPORTANT - Make sure the rope does not/will not foul with the brake caliper when you set of.

It may get you to a main road that has been cleared, where you can either untie the rope or cut it off.

Cheers

Peter

Keep 2 of those large hessian potato sacks in the back and put them in front of or behind the driving wheels. Also works as a top tip on sand. Can also be helped if you pack sand or snow in them if using them on their own doesn't work. Take it from one who knows. Done lots of offroading in sand and snow using Land Rovers when you don't want people to know you are there ;-)

I posted a link to these last week. I bought a similar product (Multi Grip) on E-Bay but nothing has turned up yet and the seller is now getting quite a few negative feedbacks due to non delivery :cry:

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

Might try these

Apprentice

I have it on great authority the socks work brilliantly!

What a brilliant idea.

We live about 6 miles from the main road, and up a hill. The local road is never gritted. On Wednesday I had to be in Brum for 9am, so up at 4.30 to see that the road was covered with a few inches of powdery snow. Took me nearly an hour to get down to the main road with the car all over the place.

These would have been a godsend

D

Master

What the ad says is total nonsense: Most of us take our chances because, all things considered, it's hard to justify the use of winter tyres.
    Winter tyres are not just for snow and ice. They have better grip even on dry roads at low temperatures, i.e. below about 7 degrees C. Which is a matter of the rubber composition.
    As far as cost is concerned: tyre wear is an infinitesimal sum per km/mile compared to other costs (just look at fuel costs). Although a winter tyre will wear a little bit faster than a summer tyre when used in not-so-cold conditions, it does not wear all that much faster *) - and whe you swap betwee winter and summer tyres, in the end you will wear down about as much tyre per km/mile as when you use just one type. You just use two sets, swapping between them, each thus lasting roughly twice as long. Which leaves the cost of either the swap if you use the same wheels, or a set of spare wheels (second hand for winter use) which you swap yourself. I prefer to let a good garage do the swap and balance the wheels at the same time, and do a checkup of typical winter stuff like the battery and wipers etc.
    There are people who mind the fact that many winter tyres are not meant for speeds above 160 or 180 km/h; but in any EU country except Germany, that is way above maximum legal speed anyway; and who in his right mind would want to go 160 or faster in winter conditions?
    And of course, winter tyres do quite well in other slippery conditions: muddy paths, fields with wet grass...
    I have them under my balloon retrieve van all year round for that reason. Under the other car, a Berlingo, we swap them. Did a lot of driving in snow with that one the past weeks, and I must have said dozens of times 'with summer tyres we would not have gotten through this'.
    Why end up with a totalled car and yourself in hospital just over what amounts to, what, maybe one ot two tenths of a (euro)cent per km in costs?

*) I'm talking about GOOD winter tyres here. Michelin. Helps the French economy, too. :wink:

Journeyman

Coming from a very cold climate (spent holidays back home in Estonia, it was -23 C during many nights), I totally concur with almost everything Fschwep said.
    Only part I will disagree with - Michelin all the way. Obviously individual choice, BUT a car for normal everyday use is just fine with tyres from mid-class brands like Barum (Continental's brand, great price-quality relationship IMO)
    A Toyota Avensis wouldn't fare any better in Michelin/Bridgestone/Good Year's or Barum's :D

Back to the OP, I would love to try those Autosocks.. had a look on the websites of various manufacturers of these wonders after somebody linked in TZ some time ago and this certainly seems like something worth looking into, unless you live in the City.

Old hessian sacks work well if only stuck, rather than road totally blocked.

Banned

it was a heads up,i have a pair now and heavy snow forecast for tommorow.
    old hessian might get you out these will probaly stop you getting stuck in the first place [prevention not cure].
    try buying snow tyres in the uk even if you have somewhere to keep them.
    i spoke to the supplier today [hes also sending me the fold up snow shovel] hes a part time fireman in the sticks.
    on a shout they couldnt get out past the snow, but he had bought a pair of the truck ones with him.
    they did the trick now his fire service has orderd them for all the engines.

My snow socks finally arrived today. :wink:

They look the business.

Journeyman

Make sure u take some pics, once u give them a go!
    Am hoping for snow in ur area now :twisted:

Journeyman

You can get winter tires all the way up to speed W (240 km/h and above) and they are also very good on wet tarmac. But dont drive them too often when its above 5 degrees celcius, they tend to last a lot shorter then :)

Master

I looked into these when I was buying snow chains for my annual skiing jaunts to the Alps.

They do look good and should work great, but just be aware that if you plan on using them in Alpine regions that they are not a substitute for snow chains, and many local authorities don't allow them as a substitute for snow chains. You will be stopped from travelling into some Alpine regions during snow fall if you don't have snow chains, which is not a great start to your holiday!

They look just the job for the UK though, and got to be better than slipping around on the very poorly cleared roads. My wife laughs when I put the snow chains in my boot every winter, but living in the sticks I've used them on a couple of occassions even though my car is a four wheel drive. I also came across my stranded neighbour last winter a few miles from home on a steep hill from hell, and put the chains on his car to get him home!

There's nothing wrong with taking responsibility for your own situation IMO! :)

Banned

i hope i dont need them.
    but its a comfort knowing they are in the boot, they weigh nothing and take up no space.
    its started snowing again but is going straight to slush at the moment and could freeze later :(

Can I clarify one thing? If you have a rear wheel drive car, the socks go over the rear tyres & if front wheel drive, they go over the front tyres? Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB
    Can I clarify one thing? If you have a rear wheel drive car, the socks go over the rear tyres & if front wheel drive, they go over the front tyres? Is that correct?
    Yes, on the driving wheels - but you really shouldn't have had to ask :wink: :lol:

Journeyman

What about AWD/4WD cars ?! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    HA!

Journeyman

To answer my own question, on 4WD cars the socks should be put diagonally :!: :albino: