closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Linde Werdelin Biformeter DLC LIMITED EDITION

Linde Werdelin Biformeter DLC LIMITED EDITION

THE LINDE WERDELIN DLC LTED EDITION

Let´s be frank from the start. This watch is different from any other you have seen. And I do not mean to say it´s better. There are better watches, sure. But they are playing on another league.

Start with the name. Linde Werdelin. Sounds like a laboratory name, or a chemical company. It sounds (a bit) like Bang Olufsen (its origin is Danish, like BO).

The watch aspect confirm this impression. It looks more like an industrial good than a watch. It´s more about engineering than about watchmaking. The case shape, the aspect of the coated surface, the hands design, everything is design with precision, detail. And then the Land Instrument (now called the Rock), impressive not due to the functions, but to the perfect integration with the watch shape. And the bionic aspect of the whole thing. The watch sensing temperature, heart beat, height, atmospheric pressure, heading, inclination,…..

I have read that LW is the watch James Bond would wear. Wrong, at least for the DLC version. This watch is the Dark Knight, the watch that Batman would be wearing in Gotam city. It´s also the Stealth watch. Look how it resembles the Stealth Fighter (F 117).

But let´s start the review

PRESENTATION

Thee are many boxes coming with the watch. Four boxes in total. Different, this is different from the very beginning. And overwhelming as well.

The presentation is cold, Nordic: functional, informational. And I do not mean this as a critic. This watch does not need a fancy box. The interesting thing lies inside….

But there is a god detail. The inner watch box. It took a while to detect it. The shape, this is not the usual shape. Once again, they prepare you for the difference.

And the colour. All in black. In Pitch Black. BTW, the watch could also be worn by Riddick.

THE WATCH

As black as night, boy. You cannot take pictures of the thing. With a dark background, the watch disappears. The sole way is to place a white background. This DLC coating is a totally different coating. BTW, DLC means Diamond-Like Carbon. More on this later on.

The engine of the watch is the good old and boring 2892. Reliable, easy to service, no thrills but no complications: Some people may find this disappointing for a watch at this price tag. But I think, on the contrary, that this is the right decision in a tool, adventure watch like this. Easy to service, anywhere….Robustness over fashion. Good decision. Specially for a limited series manufacturer. But some people may find this unacceptable….

But the strong point of the watch is the shape. Totally different. The angles, the integration of the watch and the bracelet. And the Land Instrument. And the Allen screws. Yes, that can be controversial. But they have a purpose, a function. I like them, because of that. But some people may hate it…

The case back. Usually case backs are boring. At most, some nice scene added. But still, the case back is boring, and the engraving is just another thing. Here, the caseback is interesting on its own. It is done in a combination of aluminium and SS, with perforated holes for the case back opener.

The serial number. That deserves a paragraph on its own. The sole comparison that comes to my mind comparable to this is the strange fabric in the Seiko Spring Drive Marine Master (see link). Look at the numbers. Nice, right? White, right? Right? Not really. Take a closer look…Strange, eh? They are engraved in the coating, not painted, and they are…black!

The build of the watch is just superb. The shapes, bends, corners. Perfect. That´s it! . In fact, I am surprised the watch is Swiss made. I would expect that level of finish only in German cases….

The DLC coating gives the watch its eerie aspect. Does not look like SS at all. And it looks totally different from mother PVD coatings I have seen. Looks more like carbon fiber. Well, of course, idiot! It is Diamond-Like CARBON! Another strange thing about the coating is that in does not interact with water. Really. It seems to repel water. Well, it also repels light. It is soooo dark you cannot see it through the viewfinder of the camera.

Despite all this, do not be fooled by the name. This is not a diamond, this is a SS watch with a very resisitant coating (probably the MOST resistant you can find in a watch) but it can get scratched, and chips can appear (I am sure the chipped section still has the coating over it though). And this is the sole criticism I have. Do not call it diamond-like carbon, because it misleads people to believe they are in possession of a bullet proof watch/coating that can never be scratched.

The Land Instrument

I will not try to review it. I think it is a nice high tech companion for a high tech watch. But I have not used it well enough to figure out its full potential. So a few pics and a link to a review. But let me stress the perfect integration of the instrument with the watch.

http://www.watchestrade.net/Linde-We...tches-515.html

The bracelet.

No bracelet. There´s no DLC coated bracelet. I will just say it once. I want one! DLC coated! It´s the best bracelet I have seen!

Re: Linde Werdelin Biformeter DLC LIMITED EDITION

Great review - many thanks.

I have to admit, for the price point these are super quality and finish 8)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Fabulous review and great pictures. I love the stealth. I want one!

Master

Great review.

So much so, I'm questioning my desire for an IWC Ing now and revisiting the idea of adding a LW to the collection.

ATB
    Aaron

Jose, would you happen to have a wrist shot of this please?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    Jose, would you happen to have a wrist shot of this please?
    No, but I will try to shoot one. I hate them: I do not take good wrist shots and my girlie wrists do not help at all. :?

Grand Master

Thanks for taking the time and effort to deliver this review, always well received
    RIAC

Here you have the wrist shots:

And some microscope shots. Of the numbers in the back:

Of a corner of the watch:

Of the chip in the coating:

Of the hands:

Of the name in the dial:

Oh, and I forgot the customary lume shot

Cheers for the wrist shots Jose, wanted to get an idea of it's size as i too have small wrists....looks good, i think i want one!

Another quick Q. Was the instrument part of the original package with the watch or an addition later?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    Cheers for the wrist shots Jose, wanted to get an idea of it's size as i too have small wrists....looks good, i think i want one!

Another quick Q. Was the instrument part of the original package with the watch or an addition later?
    I bought it second hand, and it came with thecomplete package: watch, land instrument. heart rate sensor and an extra kevlar strap. I think everything was sold all together.

Great bit of writing and pictures, Jose. You are upping the ante. When I very first saw the LW my thought went ... taking inspiration from the AP Royal Oak (just like the Big Bang) but unlike the traditional Big Bang, with a futuristic ‘Scandinavian’ edge.

My only criticism, I don’t like dauphine (hands) with centre seconds. One option would be to go with sub-seconds (think about it) but ideally ... probably with coffin hands as per the Seiko MM300. :lol:

Some shapes work better in black than others. Black can hide a lot of design-sins but it works with the LW. I love the F-117A analogy. I didn’t see it coming. I’ve been doing a bit of research into ‘black’ watches because I feel they will playing a big role in the first half of the coming decade but I also feel that they will fizzle-out towards the second half. Originally, I was saying that all black watches looked plastic but over the last few years, it has been entrenched in the general psyche that not all black watches are plastic … although I still insist that there is a certain sinister attempt at anonymity, with a hint of morbidity attached to the practice. :blackeye:

If you ever get a chance to look at the BB Luna Rossa … its PVD also exhibits the same visual qualities as the LW’s.

Enjoy your watch.

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    You are upping the ante.
    Thanks, Meister :blackeye: Although I must confess I had to translate that expression .

You can imagine where I got the inspiration to write the review :wink: . It has been great fun doing it (the writing part more than the pictures piece). And yes, I think I was lucky with the inspiration about the 117 :D .

My sole concern is the durability of the coating in, say, 10 years and whether I will be able to replace/repair it easily.

Quote Originally Posted by angeche

My sole concern is the durability of the coating in, say, 10 years and whether I will be able to replace/repair it easily.
    Unlike surface hardening processes ... the good thing about PVD is that it can be taken off and re-applied. I am sure LW are not going to let you walk around with a scratched watch.

I must say tho, when it comes to black, nothing beats matt ceramic. About as permanent as you can get.

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Journeyman

What a great review, what a great watch..
    The Biformeters are disgustingly ravishing, I loathe how much I like them.
    Had a look at one during the last meet and it just blew my socks off.
    Amazing design.

I often go past the Watch Gallery in London and they have quite a few of Linde's, they look indestructible and superb in the flesh and you don't see many of them about.

First off, thanks for the review!

Recently I notice that Linde Werdelin has been making waves in the horology community, especially at Basel last year.

Their case construction is amazing!

Another huge plus on Linde Werdelin's part is that they allow you to test drive or what they call "Try It!' Just go on their website click "Try It" and wait for your sample!! Amazing what if all companies did this!

Here's another online review different model: http://reviews.fratellowatches.com/

Maybe one of these days I'll have to give them a whirl.

Craftsman

Can't wait to get my own LW... :wink:
    Great review!

Quote Originally Posted by SWECO2
    Great review!
    You are welcome. Do not forget to add you own experience in here 8) :wink: .

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by angeche
    Quote Originally Posted by SWECO2
    Great review!
    You are welcome. Do not forget to add you own experience in here 8) :wink: .
    Hi Jose,

The watch is gorgeous, in a brutal way and I'm really enjoying wearing it.
    Just a few shots of it on its red rubber strap.
    I think the red strap matches the second hand's red tip quite nicely.

Cheers,
    Fernando.

Fernando, great shots! And that orange strap is gorgeous 8) .

BTW looking at the wrist shots I realise this watch was not for me. Due to the way the strap is attached to the watch, in skinny wrists like mine the watch cannot be adjusted and it looks like hanging. In Fernando´s wrsit looks perfect. In mine didn´t.....

Craftsman

I've had the LW for quite a while (specially for being me :roll: ) and it's surely the most confortable watch I've owned. It wears a lot smaller than its dimensions would suggest, due to its slim profile and its convex shaped back. The rubber strap is also very soft and comfy.

Here it is among its friends:

Comparison shot with a 44mm Luminor Panerai:

And lume shot:

Cheers,
    Fernando.

Craftsman

I absolutely love Linde Werdelin watches, I saw a white faced version of that watch that someone had paid to get PVD coated and came with an ostrich strap

It looked incredible, in fact I found some pics so enjoy...

Journeyman

All of the pictures in this review show just what great looking watches these are - and the build quality of not just the watches but the straps, buckles and clasps looks tremendous. I think my JLC Savings Fund might have to be raided .... :P

Great review, superb photos and a very nice watch!