closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Officially hunting for a Sea Dweller

Officially hunting for a Sea Dweller

The time has come, I am officially on the hunt for a Rolex Sea Dweller. Me, the one who never gave Rolex a second thought until he joined the various watch forums in the UK and Germany. So itīs all your fault! However, the Sea Dweller and DSSD have done it for me so it has to be done. The problem is, I havenīt got a clue what to pay for a 2005 or upwards model, plus, Iīm going to have to sell or part ex quite a few of my watches, like my Omega PO, my Fortis B42 and my Steinharts, which I didnīt necessarily want to part with again.
    So, before I begin this endevour are there any voices that can hold me back, talk me out of this foolishness, or, at least, give some hints as to what sort of prices I should be looking at?

Andy trustworthy ADīs that give a good price with part exchanges etc?

Master

Re: Officially hunting for a Sea Dweller

Dont know about AD's in Germany or UK, but for a mint 2005 model with box papers etc, you are easily looking between Ģ3000 and Ģ3200 if not more. I am sure some one will correct me.
    As for wanting a Sea Dweller, resistance is futile, I mentioned earlier I am on my 4th Rolex, once you start, you really cant stop regarldess of what opinions you have/had on Rolex.
    some pictures to help you take the plunge....My ex-SD from 2008. Biggest. Regret. Ever.

Very good choice - prices may have rised of late - but if in the unlikely event you don't get on with it - you shouldget most or more money back if you by at the right priceand condition.
    It's just a matter of time...

Ernest Jones in High Street Kensington, London have a brand new DSSD in their window.

Trouble is, they can be addictive. Thought I was done when I acquired the Deep Sea, but maybe a GMT Master would be nice..........oh dear!
    Bazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H
    The time has come, I am officially on the hunt for a Rolex Sea Dweller. Me, the one who never gave Rolex a second thought until he joined the various watch forums in the UK and Germany. So itīs all your fault! However, the Sea Dweller and DSSD have done it for me so it has to be done. The problem is, I havenīt got a clue what to pay for a 2005 or upwards model, plus, Iīm going to have to sell or part ex quite a few of my watches, like my Omega PO, my Fortis B42 and my Steinharts, which I didnīt necessarily want to part with again.
    So, before I begin this endevour are there any voices that can hold me back, talk me out of this foolishness, or, at least, give some hints as to what sort of prices I should be looking at?

It is terrifying to me that I'm sharing the exact same thoughts with you lately. I was not such a big Rolex fun in the past and now I too feel that the time has come.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, I can not be 100% sure) my bank (and my bank account) do not share the same thoughts....

Here in Holland i just saw a very mint Dweller of 2004 goes for 3850 euro (professional dealer).

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz
    Trouble is, they can be addictive. Thought I was done when I acquired the Deep Sea, but maybe a GMT Master would be nice..........oh dear!
    Bazz.
    wonderful SUB collection...compliments :wink:

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Trouble is, they can be addictive.

i know :lol:

and thats without the tudors :lol:

cheers
    mike :wink:

I too am becoming drawn to the SD model - can anybody give a rough guide of what they are selling for - a bilt "glass's guide" style if not too cheesy a request.
    What are the NO NO things to look for?
    I'm new to Rolex - and i really do like some of the older models having looked at a few on here.
    Many thanks.
    JC

Quote Originally Posted by gmt1675
    Bazz.
    wonderful SUB collection...compliments :wink:
    Thanks Andrea, It's been going on for many years.

Bazz.

You guys are not doing very much to discourage me from this foolish decision!
    Itīs looking realistic though, got a grand in the bank, an Omega PO, a Fortis B42 and a couple of Steinharts that might hit the SC soon.

Anybody got a wrist shot of a SD?

Journeyman

Andy,
    Good post as it's exactly what I was going to ask.
    I've decided (I think) that the Rolex Sea Dweller is the one for me.

I'm currently working towards getting the funds together for one. Not unless I can persuade the bloke that works with me to sell me his at a good rate. :lol:

Any information on pit falls, do's and don'ts when looking to buy one would be great

I completly agree with Ray, the range should be between 3300 and 3600 Euro for a complete SD from 2005 or 2006. Of course, there are a lot of offers, which higher priced... A couple of days ago, there was one from 2006 on German Ebay for 3.699 or best offer. At the end of the day about 30 offers were made and it was not sold.

Cheers,
    Michael

I will be taking my time when it comes to buying one, thatīs for sure.

harvey

i was in the same boat as you. Rolex never really held much interest for me (even though i respect some aspects of the brand) and prior to 7-8 months ago, i had no desire or plans to get one. i then bought a Milgauss in Aug and the fact that rolex discontinued the SD and is trying to push the oversized DSSD led me to get an SD.

i don't know how much attachment you have for the PO, Fortis and Steinharts but i'd sack them all to get a SD. the bad part of this is your timing...prices on the SD have been going up in the last 3-4 months, both on the AD side and on the f-s forums.

Journeyman

Andy,
    There was this in the for sales section

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=103003

Journeyman

Anybody got a wrist shot of a SD?

:drunken:

Master

There's more than onw type of SD. Here's my acrylic crystal 1665 from 1979

16600 & 1665 with a 5513 sub for good measure

Cheers fellas, they look great!

Some awesome pics here. I'm in a similar position to the OP and all great pics are not helping!!

When was the SD discontinued?

Some initial interest in my PO, so this might be happening sooner than I thought. :P
    There might be a Steinhart Nav B II chrono in the SC soon!

Journeyman

As you are from germany and the pound went down to the euro i would search in uk as price lists in 2004/5 were made to another change of money than today . England is cheaper now i think ...