closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My fat free collection

My fat free collection

For me it has always been about finding a relatively small collection of watches that feels right and carries no passengers. It has taken a while but suspect that this is as close as I'm going to get.

None is particularly rare or interesting compared to its peers but each is the example I want with a full retail kit including box and papers.

Its also noteworthy to me that I loved all of them for a long time before I bought them. I considered them expensive at first for what you get but realised that in this small part of my life I can't afford to buy cheap. I paid full retail for all but the Seatime and GMT II but would have been happy to have done so for both of them too.

I cant think of another watch I'd prefer in any of the areas they compete in. That would include; any chronograph in the case of the G-shock, dress watch with the Nomos and diver with the Stowa.

What I ready like is that as a collection they help each other. For example, I think the Explorer and Nomos have cases that stand comparison with anything made anywhere. Having the two most beautiful cases I can buy makes the Seatime fun and a great contrast.

I had a crap year in 2009 but maybe one area of complete contentment could start the ball rolling again

Master

Re: My fat free collection

I have to say that your collection is moving in the same direction as mine, but I think you are about 12 months ahead of me !
    I really do want to get a black dial Nomos Orion.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll
    I have to say that your collection is moving in the same direction as mine, but I think you are about 12 months ahead of me. I really do want to get a black dial Nomos Orion. Pete
    I've been writing a review of mine for the best part of a year

My main conclusion is late 20th century German watch design took a surprising and unlikely path. Instead of sharing beauty, poise and sophistication amongst all thier products discovery of an obscure 14th century watch law forced watchmakers to pour it all into one impossibly beautiful dial and case at the expense of all the others.

The only product on the drawing board at the time was the Orion.

:D Great collection, one great watch for every purpose and every one is one of the best for that purpose, the Stowa and the Nomos are both watches I would love to own.

Nice collection. I tried that G-shock and couldn't read the bleedin' thing (old eyes) and I have a Stowa Antea instead of the Nomos, but the others fall in to my 'one day' category. I really must cut down. I have too many.

Master

Quality minimalist gathering there, nice!! :D

I'm thinking of moving my PAM183 on for a Rolex GMT / SD....

Very nice collection, well rounded....but you need a chrono :lol:

Banned

Great watches there, I love the Nomos watches particularly but am concerned they will be small on a 6'8" bloke with 7.5" wrists.

I had an epiphany over Xmas were I realised there's no point for me having a collection of watches I'm hardly wearing so i've sacrificed two I wore regularly to buy one watch instead that'll serve both purposes and allow me to enjoy the rest of the collection.

Quote Originally Posted by bydandie
    Great watches there, I love the Nomos watches particularly but am concerned they will be small on a 6'8" bloke with 7.5" wrists.
    I'm 6' 5" with 7.5" wrists. These photos were taken from the same perspective, you'll note that at the business end the Nomos is the largest one.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp

I have tried.

In the end I found that I only use a chronograph for timing and the benefits of a digital quartz watch in those circumstaces are too strong.

Quote Originally Posted by quoll
    Nice collection. I tried that G-shock and couldn't read the bleedin' thing (old eyes).
    Have you tried the refreree timer versions?

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade
    I have tried.

In the end I found that I only use a chronograph for timing and the benefits of a digital quartz watch in those circumstaces are too strong.
    Very nice collection there. 8)

I agree with crazyp, I'd add a mechanical chrono too, preferably a vintage one.

I understand that you rarely use a chrono (who does?), but for me it's more about appreciating the calibre inside. I'd add something with class like a vintage El Primero or a Heuer Siffert/Monaco. Finding one in great condition and with box and papers will keep your theme going, and give you something hunt down... if you like that kind of thing. :wink:

Rich.

Very nice collection (apart from that plastic thing :wink: )
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries

That's a very nice collection, covering all aspects.
    Personally I couldn't live with a G-shock, but the rest more than makes up for that :)

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master

I like your thinking, I have gone through a similar process recently, I guess I am getting bored of it all and need to spend much more time doing other things. In fact the only reason I am on here today is I am off work sick.

I can't stand the G-shock either but I have one and it makes sense as its a watch you can wear in situations in which you otherwise just wouldn't even wear a watch at all. It does make sense as a pure time telling tool.

I think you could thin em down further though to just the GMT or explorer, the Nomos and the G-shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie_101
    Quote Originally Posted by raysablade
    I have tried.

Very nice collection there. 8)

I agree with crazyp, I'd add a mechanical chrono too, preferably a vintage one.

I understand that you rarely use a chrono (who does?), but for me it's more about appreciating the calibre inside. I'd add something with class like a vintage El Primero or a Heuer Siffert/Monaco. Finding one in great condition and with box and papers will keep your theme going, and give you something hunt down... if you like that kind of thing. :wink:

Rich.
    I agree completely I never use the chrono feature, its about the movement. It also helps that it looks good as well :lol:

Craftsman

Thatīs a very varied collection, but i donīt understand the digital watch.
    Itīs beyond my imagination wearing that ;)

The G-Shock is no looker but it is here by right, earning its place for these reasons;

Historically it is the most significant of the 5 with the key innovations in watch making from the last 50 years; Solar power, digital display and atomic sync. The latter is perhaps the most important, 3 of my other watches are prodigious time-keepers and, in line with my desire to see these 5 as a collection, they deserve a perfect reference.

Much as I like the concept of an analogue chronograph I can't deny that I find digital displays by far the best way of counting time up or down. It might be my Dyslexia, but reading a tri-compax display just doesn't come naturally to me and a bi-compax one is too limiting. If I’m going to admire a mechanical complication I'd much rather it was the Rolex GMT one. I'm taking the train across USA this year and really looking forward to changing time zones, simply because the Rolex does it so well and intuitively.

When I'm a tourist in a city I don't know, the G-Shock always has made and always will make perfect sense.

A vintage mechanical chronograph is not here because my take on this pastime is seeking the perfect minimum and it hasn't made the cut. Now that I've trimmed the fat I'm able to paraphrase Kate Moss; no further watch can be as good as sufficiency feels. Believe me the perfect 5513 on the Sales Corner and Ģ6000 in my Building Society book have combined to test my metal. In the end, the Stowa is a uniquely styled tough watch, the Explorer is the classic Rolex the and the glossy dialled, lug holed “Coke” GMT, is the prettiest Rolex I could buy.

Craftsman

Every time I see a coke GMT I think about selling my Sub. I love that thing! If only it had a bigger crown. :cry:

Master

If you don't like mechanical chronographs you are 100% right not to buy one. Personally I now feel the same but about divers watches. I used to always have a couple or more and I believe at one point most of my watches were divers. Now I have no divers and I am perfectly happy with it. I don't dive and I really can't see that a big heavy lump with a HEV in it sat on my wrist helps me much.

Mechanical chronographs can make a lot more sense when the dial and hands layout works. I have 2 that I like equally, a 74 Heuer Carrera and a Tutima Nato. The Tutima has the benefit of centre minutes which I find is the fastest way of reading short time intervals, better/faster for me then a bezel and miles better then any 7750 movement watch. The Heuer works for me because the sub-dial layout makes reading the time left to right very easy, both sub-dials also increment in jumps as well which helps enormously.

Master

Very nice collection!

Cheers
    /john

Strange collection of styles

Great choices, and no need to defend the G-SHOCK. It's as important and iconic a watch as the Explorer.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanV
    Every time I see a coke GMT I think about selling my Sub. I love that thing! If only it had a bigger crown. :cry:
    I know what you mean about the crown but in the end it is designed to fail long after you are and if it doesn't I can't see Rolex not fixing it for free.

Craftsman

I do like the Nomos!

Lovely collection and my thinking exactly.

But eventually middle age will bring back the fat and another course of exercise will be required - been there done that!