closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I am G-Shocked! (GW7900B-1 review w/pix!)

I am G-Shocked! (GW7900B-1 review w/pix!)

Introduction. For a year I had considered obtaining a Casio G-Shock watch. I had looked at the Men In Orange and Mudmen models. I liked the features, especially the atomic clock time setting function, but not enough to pull the trigger. Then I received my weekly copy of Time Magazine.

The December 28, 2009 issue rated the Casio GW7900B-1 as a Top Ten Gadget of 2009. Having researched other Casio G-Shock models, this model piqued my interest.

I ran a search and found the GW7900B-1 featured a bevy of functions. It had the atomic clock time setting function, and solar power, moon phase, chronograph and alarms. What floored me was the reasonable price! $150 retail seemed extremely reasonable, so I pulled the trigger – but not before I found a better price on the ‘bay.

Packaging. The packaging and presentation surprised me. Considering the price point, I figured the GW7900B-1 would arrive in a plain-Jane box. It did arrive in a box, all right – but within a very nice G-Shock tin enclosure that I did not expect. A comprehensive manual (that I am still studying) accompanied the watch.

Operation. I haven’t mastered all of the GW7900B-1’s functions yet, but, so far, its operation seems entirely straightforward. Of course, reading the manual facilitates operation. Manual atomic clock time synchronization, if needed, is easy and prompt – though it helps that I am located less than a hundred miles from the WWV atomic clock transmitter. Time zone changing is very easy. The dial illuminates easily with a tip of the wrist and there is a manual dial illumination function.

Comfort. I own and wear several large watches, including UTS, Ball, Vostok-Europe Ekranoplan and others. The GW7900B-1’s 52.4 x 50.0 x 17.7 mm dimensions made me expect a behemoth. Not at all – the watch seems smaller than it measures and suits my 6½-inch wrist nicely.

Comfort is wonderful, I think because of the watch’s light weight and curved extensions protruding from the caseback. The extensions curve nicely to the wrist and really help the watch fit well.

Conclusion. The GW7900B-1 packs a lot of punch for a reasonable price that is likely to become more reasonable as more production ships. The watch is very functional. Quality is excellent.

I’m glad I finally got a Casio G-Shock. If you have never owned a Casio watch before, try a GW7900B-1. You’ll like it.

Re: I am G-Shocked! (GW7900B-1 review w/pix!)

Good review and pics, Bobby. Those wrist extensions are new; I can see how they'd make wearing it more stable and comfortable.

I really like those stealth LCD digits - with the black has a real military look. Great
    for the money and with the atomic perfect for setting your autos.

Craftsman

Just bought one based on your review-thanks. I've been looking for one with the functions I wanted-tide, moon, and atomic. Solar is great, and the reverse display is cool

Thanks

Chris

Like that, will be interested to see what you think of the negative display after a while, my negative display GW-M5600 gets worn less than the standard display but for clear hot summer days it makes a cool change..............so to speak. :lol:

Nice write-up. I quite fancy the non-negative display version of that one, haven't found an EU supplier yet though.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I'd like one of those if it was the standard display GW version. I've got the GW6900 and wore it almost everyday since I bought it in October. (Now in SC) I now have a second one on the bracelet, which is really comfortable.

Craftsman

Very good review.
    Up until a year ago, I dismissed G-Shocks alltogether, God
    knows why, since then I've bought about 15, from the bay, here
    on SC, and watch fairs, they are good value watches.... :lol:

Great review, that is a very nice watch.

I picked up a Gulfman Men in Matt black from Seiya last year, it is fantastic, but remember seeing a pic of the GW9700B and thinking that is nice.

So it is likely this could be my first watch purchase of the year, as my eldest son would love this.

heres my gulfman.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    Good review and pics, Bobby.
    +1. Thanks for posting it, Bobby.

Those wrist extensions are new; I can see how they'd make wearing it more stable and comfortable.
    They're also present on the new Protrek PRW-2000, one of which I just acquired. I am undecided about them. They do make a big watch wear better on a small wrist, but they're occasional hair-pullers.

Great set of functions for the money, I really do fancy an atomic setting wrist watch at some point.
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    Good review and pics, Bobby. Those wrist extensions are new; I can see how they'd make wearing it more stable and comfortable.
    They've been around for years, on selected models. A lot of the G-Lides have them.

Thanks for the review! I need a rough and ready watch for work and a G-Shock would fit the bill perfectly!

Am mulling over a few different ones as I write this!

Great review, Heres a few of my current Atomic/Solar G's.

Sorry about the pic's, they were only ever intended for my own amusement

Firstly a GW-M5600BC with negative display

Secondly a GW-M5600-1JF, essentially the same watch with a positive display and finally a GW-9200-1ER Atomic Riseman

I did have a Men in ice white Atomic Riseman when they first came out, but have since flipped it.

Bought it from Higuchi-Inc in Japan which is a great place to find interesing G's and Seiko's.

Thanks for the review and enjoy your G-Shock, Ive been a fan for many years and just love them.

Master

Great review. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
    /john

Master

I've just ordered a G-Shock GW25001AER after trying one on in a High Street store. They seem to be a lot better than my early memories of ones I had many years ago. I'm really looking forward to it arriving after seeing yours...

Journeyman

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread; but I'm considering a GW7900B.

Now it's been a few months with it - how is it now?

Casio Gs rock.

Here is the forefather to the G wtches in the thread, the DW5600E

This one is from the mid nineties, still works as intended. It wears great and is flight approved by NASA for space missions; what is not to like.

Thanks for posting this - a very helpful review.

The watch looks great, but does anybody know where you can get one in the UK?

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by dashfield
    I'm trying to find out the same info :)

If I get any info, I'll post here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinky

I've had a look into it and you can buy them off the bay directly from the USA. They go for around £106 + £15-20 for postage.

Does any one know how much the import duties might be?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNG
    Up until a year ago, I dismissed G-Shocks alltogether, God
    knows why,
    Because mainstream Wis-dom only recognises the steampunk technology mechanical escapement :wink:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    Here is the forefather to the G watches in the thread,
    ...adn I have the forefather of thát one on a resue strap :bounce:

They can still be bought for a tenner and quite a technicians choice; generally considered worthless but as they resist about all but dunking in water the are probaly the most worn watch worldwide by far :bigsmurf:
    They are só popular that it is appearantly worthwhile to make several 'fakes' of this humble 10 euro watch :P

Shocking watches indeed those simply functional 'worthless' Casios :mrgreen:

I've had a look into it and you can buy them off the bay directly from the USA. They go for around £106 + £15-20 for postage.

Figure you'll get done for about an extra 20% and you won't be far off (worked out on total including shipping).

The non-reverse display one you can get through Tiktox in the UK, I quite fancy one myself.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E

Figure you'll get done for about an extra 20% and you won't be far off (worked out on total including shipping).

The non-reverse display one you can get through Tiktox in the UK, I quite fancy one myself.
    Thanks Dave - that makes it about £145 to get one from the US, which isn't so cheap.

I notice the ones on Tiktox are £103, so is the negative display worth the extra £42?

I notice the ones on Tiktox are £103, so is the negative display worth the extra £42?
    Only if you like the look of it. Negative displays always offer lower legibility in subdued light, even if the newer examples are better than the older examples.

Thanks for the review, very informative. I've ummed and ahhed about one of these for a while but I'd have to try one of the GW-7900 variants on first to get an idea of the strap sizing, some G-Shocks fit my fat 8 1/2 inch wrist, some don't...

Quote Originally Posted by Jambo
    Thanks for the review, very informative. I've ummed and ahhed about one of these for a while but I'd have to try one of the GW-7900 variants on first to get an idea of the strap sizing, some G-Shocks fit my fat 8 1/2 inch wrist, some don't...
    Having a 'fat' wrist myself I'd be interested to know which ones don't fit well?

Just deciding whether to go for a Mudman or Gulfman at the moment, though this review has made me look at the range again (thanks!).

Journeyman

It's available in the UK via Casio Online for £120; and is in stock

http://www.casioonline.co.uk/Watches/G- ... -7900B-1ER

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread; but I'm considering a GW7900B.

Now it's been a few months with it - how is it now?
    Sorry for the late response.

I remain pleased with the watch. In the meantime, I lost weight and my wrist shrunk to 6¼ inches. The watch still suits my wrist. I really like the moonphase feature - it's dead on. During this period, the time changed to Daylight Savings Time and so did the GW7900B.

Get a GW7900B. You won't be disappointed. As a user wrote, above, what's not to like?

:roll: