• Breitling

27 23.89%
  • Both

7 6.19%
  • Neither

8 7.08%

Thread: Omega Seamaster or Breitling Superocean

Omega Seamaster or Breitling Superocean

I am now in a really lucky position to have two of my fave watches at the same time but I suppose they are in Direct competition to each other, Now I dont have to make the choice but if you did which would you choose

or

Master

Re: Omega Seamaster or Breitling Superocean

I like the Breitling and prefer the Seamaster in the chrono version

Apprentice

Actually looking at the breitling pic, it is nice but I'd have the planet ocean - such a much nicer face, sorry

Apprentice

I'm also surprised at how even the vote is!

Fair enough i think its so much like ford vs vauxhall,Both do the same job just have diffrent fans me Im a ford man

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria C
    I'm also surprised at how even the vote is!
    Im not they are both two of the most iconic divers watches both in the same price bracket between £1000 - £2000 so its no surprise

Not being sexist at all here I think girls like the Omega more and for men its the Ling well thats what I have found anyway men coment on the ling girls comment on the Omega. Thats even true of my wife she likes them both but if she had to choose it would be the Omega everytime however Im more a Ling man still thats why they sell loads of each watch :lol:

Actually looking at the breitling pic, it is nice but I'd have the planet ocean - such a much nicer face, sorry

Thats not a Planet Ocean Victoria its a Seamaster Automatic 2255.80
    a Planet Ocean is like this

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by sonyman

Thats not a Planet Ocean Victoria its a Seamaster automatic 2255.80
    a Planet Ocean is like this
    well yes, of course it is. And I was saying that that would be my preference. The Seamaster automatic is nicer IMO than the Ling but I think that the PO is nicer still. Ladies' breitling watches are nice though.

And I agree with the omega Vs ling / women's Vs men's preference too.

Hmmm... Breitling or Omega? Which is best? There's only one waay to find out.... FIGHT!!!!!!!

(with apologies to Harry Hill).

Actually, and speaking for myself, obviously, I'm not bothered about either of the two options. The Omega is just too "high street" (yes it is) and the Superocean, although in most respects is a good looking watch, like the Colt there's just a bit too much bezel going on in proportion to the face for my liking.

For that kind of money, it would be a Planet Ocean. Much better looking than either the Seamaster or Superocean, and has the Co-Axial movement.

But that's just my opinion.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master

In my opinion the Seamaster gets the vote. The Breitling is too fussy for my liking in this company.... :)

I prefer the omega, like the hands and bracelet on that seamaster, Breitling looks really shiny,

My vote would be for the Breitling, but it would have to be the pro version, with the brushed steel finish. If this is not available now, it would have to be the SMP, still a great watch.

Craftsman

Im a fan of both brands, but for me the Omega is far more iconic and smoother looking than the Superocean. I also disagree in part with Victoria (although not saying she is wrong, just merely I have a different taste...) I prefer the 2254 SMP to the PO series. For me, the 2254 SMP is the best diver Omega has made.

Master

2254 everytime.unless it,s a superocean heritage

I voted both :)

I have a blue dialled Superocean and a Seamaster GMT, which is a nice contrast for me. Oddly, while I like the 2254 to look at, I wasn't as keen when I tried one on, much prefer the GMT.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Got both.

Voted Omega.

Looks better, fits better with the flattish back also.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Get Both, Its Christmas :D

Master

I would go for the Omega I find that the face of a Breitling is too busy.

Master

I voted Omega,the SMP is such a great watch.I've just bought a Superocean Heritage and I'm in love.

Out of those two I think the Breitling looks nicer - not really a fan of the black seamaster.

omega all the way, of those two. i just find the breitling too ornate and fussy.
    however id have a breitling superocean heritage over either... they often come up at good prices, seem to bev ery under-appreciated..about the best looking diver out there IMO.

I have a SuperOcean - it's having a cosmetic rejig at Brietling at the moment - one or two small marks on it - etc.
    If i'm honest, i'm going off the brand, and mre towards omega (omg).

Craftsman

Voted Breitling

It just looks so much nicer than the Omega IMO. I'm not really a lover of Breitlings whereas i've got about 10x Omegas so i'm about as non-biased as you can get. There's something about that SuperOcean that looks so 'right'. The Omega looks a bit dull/boring in comparison.

Craftsman

If you have to pick one, the Omega would be the choice.

Craftsman

If I had to pick up one I would take an OMEGA. I voted neither - both offer only logo on a face. Correct me if I'm wrong please but is an ordinary ETA inside Breitling without any modification just in the top grade?

Quote Originally Posted by switch107
    If I had to pick up one I would take an OMEGA. I voted neither - both offer only logo on a face. Correct me if I'm wrong please but is an ordinary ETA inside Breitling without any modification just in the top grade?

Nope its highly modified by Breitling from what I understand barely looks anything like an ETA when its finished in their factorys

if i had to keep only one, it would be the 2254. i've thought about getting a superocean, but i'd rate the SeMP higher. clean, classic dial & hands, thinner case, nicer movement...the only weakness is the lack of a micro-adjust in the clasp.

incidentally, not a fan of the PO...that would be a very distant third in a three watch race.

Looks like the omegas beating Breitling hands down on here,I am just happy to have both

Time for a side by side shot and a lume as well.

Master

Tough call.

On the two models selected I would just about say the Omega because the dial is nicer IMO. Personally I would tend to go with the B as I think it's a better watch, but in the real world it probably makes little difference.

If they are both your faves and they both get worn, I would vote to keep both.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterM
    Tough call.

On the two models selected I would just about say the Omega because the dial is nicer IMO. Personally I would tend to go with the B as I think it's a better watch, but in the real world it probably makes little difference.

If they are both your faves and they both get worn, I would vote to keep both.
    theres no way i am selling just gathering thoughts thats all

Journeyman

I will go for Omega :-) ( although I am not sure whether you can find it now. I have been in the market for this 2254.50 for sometimes, yet no sales within EU)

Craftsman

Nope its highly modified by Breitling from what I understand barely looks anything like an ETA when its finished in their factorys....
    I had a couple of minutes and checked. Breitling cal 17 is a rhodium plated ETA 2824-2. Without any other modification. 2824 you can find in many low end automatic watches.

And photos for comparision ETA and CAL17

At least Omega with cal 1120 is based on 2892-A2 (which is widely considered as the best movement ever produced by ETA) with additional 2 jewels, modified rotor and rhodium plating.

However still stick to my opinion neither 8)

Quote Originally Posted by switch107
    Nope its highly modified by Breitling from what I understand barely looks anything like an ETA when its finished in their factorys....
    I had a couple of minutes and checked. Breitling cal 17 is a rhodium plated ETA 2824-2. Without any other modification. 2824 you can find in many low end automatic watches.

And photos for comparision ETA and CAL17

At least Omega with cal 1120 is based on 2892-A2 (which is widely considered as the best movement ever produced by ETA) with additional 2 jewels, modified rotor and rhodium plating.

However still stick to my opinion neither 8)

I will disagree with you mate its Highly modified I dont know enough to tell you how but I know someone who dose and i will ask them to provide more info shortly oh and by the way I meant technicaly wise not visually different For a start it reaches COSC standards with Breitling

2824-2 is 25 jewels, 2892-A2 is 21 jewels so not sure where your numbers come from.

That said, anything above 17 jewels in a relatively low complication watch is a silly comparison anyway.

Breitling do not reveal what they do to movements, but they buy ebauches and immediately discard some of the parts to be replaced with their own. They also then test other parts to tighter tolerances than Swatch and replace any that fail to meet their grade. They also refinish the plates.

Any conversation based on which modified movement is better like this is largely an academic exercise. Both watches are based on generic movements with a long history of doing what they do well.

At the end of the day I like them both and others dont I dont really care :lol:

Voted Omega - just looks right - I like the B'ling though and have thougt about buying one - but having picked up yet another 2254 along with an SD whilst on my hols earlier this year, it has to be the choice!
    It's just a matter of time...

Of those two, the Omega. It has more style and is more distinct in it's presentation. But, I think you could do much better with a yellow dialed titanium Breitling Seawolf. They look built for purpose!

Master

Oh this is a difficult one for me. That is probably the only modern Omega I am interested in, came very close to picking one up a couple of times. I don't like the dial on the SO, and for me too much polished SS. IMHO the old Steelfish beats both. In general I much prefer Breitling offerings then the current Omega crop but in this case my vote goes Omega.

Grand Master

Omega wins by a big margin for me (I own several, including this model).

As for Breitling..... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: ...I`ve yet to see one that appeals to me.

Paul

Journeyman

2254.50 anytime, unless it is Rolex Sub

Craftsman

The Omega SMP has a classic simplicity.

I find the Breitling watches to be a bit fussy to be honest.

Would have gone Seamaster all the way, I used to own one but long lost. Just seen the Supers in an AD this afternoon though - they are a different class IMO. On the mesh they look superb, they also had a Chrono version which I haven't seen before. Sweet.

Would love to own either, but if I had to choose one then it would be the Omega.

Craftsman

Of those 2 it has to be the 2254 for me (even though I prefer the 2255 I have :D ) but it would have been a much closer call if it was against the Superocean Heritage - best looking Bretling out there, IMO!

Banned

Breitling because of the anti-glare on the crystal!

Apprentice
    Portugal, hopefully in Scottland any time soon

Omega all the way.
    Even if I like arabic dials, the one on the SMP makes much more sense to me. And the watch looks much more practical and better designed to me.
    :wink:

Apprentice

Voted,it has to be the Breitling for me. :thumbright:

breitling for me as well :)

Has to be the classic look of the Omega for me, Breitling is just too fussy and cluttered imho.
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"