closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
View RSS Feed

MarkR's Blog

Today's watch: Seiko Superior SKZ283K1 7S36-04G0 Star Monster (for yesterday)

Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.

I initially felt like a vintagey dress watch today but ended up putting a diver on my wrist: A member of the 'Superior' range from Seiko, a 'Star Monster'. The Star Monster (also known as 'Starfish Monster') comes into the same price/quality bracket as the venerable Monster, SKX007/009, Spork and Stargate.

A quick note about the Superior range: They seem to be one cut above the Seiko 5 so they're not exactly top of the range but nor are they poorly-made. In fact the build quality is pretty good, lume is as good as you'd expect from a Seiko diver, and the bracelet is very nice indeed.

I wanted a Star Monster since I first saw one a couple of years ago. The star/starfish-like bezel really appeal to me, as did the overall colour scheme, rocket hands and red second hand. I was finally getting round to seriously thinking about buying one and I noticed that Creation had them for a good price. Then on the day I was finally ready to buy I discovered they'd all gone from Creation! In fact I think they've been discontinued and they are not widely available any more. Oh the horror. Luckily I found that WorldofWatches.com had some (just one or two) as a discount price and I got one of their last ones. A few days later and after paying UPS a painful amount of import tax, the watch appeared. (If you'd still like a Star Monster I think they are available on the web in a few places but at much higher prices. Good luck if you want one).

So what do I think of it? Well, it's one of my keepers.

The black bezel with white numbers (it looks like plastic but it's solid stainless steel) against stainless steel case is a striking combination, the crown is nice to grip and looks good, the dial and hands, as mentioned, are funtional and aesthetically pleasing. The crystal is Hardlex and oddly I can't quite tell if its flat or slightly concave (seemingly not convex). The bracelet is a very long Monster-style braclet with diver's extension. I have a large wrist and actually had to remove one of the links so it's definitely suitable for being worn on the outside of a wetsuit or similar.

The watch has a few downsides: The bezel is too easy to move. I find that I can inadvertently move it just be rubbing it on clothing. I don't know if this is just my watch or all Star Monsters. The movement is the 7S36 without hacking and handwinding. I can live with this but a Star Monster powered by the 4R36 movement as in the new Monster would be stunning. Finally, although the crown is very easy to grip, it is a little bit rough to screw down. Some graphite or silicone grease my help this.

Despite the drawbacks, I greatly enjoy wearing this watch. It's a heavy and tall watch and you know you're wearing it. I'd say it's more noticeable than the 'normal' Monster and SKX007/009.
Time for some pics. Click to expand as ever.

All in all I'm pleased I got one of the last of these watches available at a decent price and I won't be moving it on any time soon.

Apologies for the dust, salt particles on the table, fingerprints and glare in these photos. One day I'll invest in a light box...

Specs:
  • Model: Seiko Superior SKZ283K1 7S36-04G0 'Star Monster' (or 'Starfish Monster').
  • Movement: Automatic Seiko 7S36, no hacking or handwinding.
  • Hours, minutes, seconds, day, date.
  • Screw down crown at 4.
  • Lots of lume on hour, minute and second hands, on hour markers and bezel pip.
  • 60 minute unidirectional 120-click diver's bezel.
  • Water resistance: 200m
  • Hardlex crystal, either flat or slightly concave.
  • Screw down case back, stainless steel case and case back.
  • Bracelet: Seiko stainless steel Monster-style bracelet, diver's extension, clasp with side release buttons and safety flap.
  • Diameter (excluding crown): 44.1mm
  • Diameter (including crown): 49.9mm
  • Height: 14.5mm
  • Lug-to-lug length: 49mm
  • Lug width: 20mm
  • Weight (on bracelet): 204g

Updated 13th November 2012 at 20:44 by markrlondon (Added pics; fix typo.)

Categories
MarkR's Blog ,

Comments

Do Not Sell My Personal Information