closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
View RSS Feed

MarkR's Blog

Today's watch: Seiko 5 7009-8150, silver white dial

Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average.

Another one of my faves. Wait, what!? A Seiko 5? A favourite? Yup, it's a lovely, smart-looking watch that I think looks much classier than "Seiko 5" often suggests.

I got this some time ago from eBay I think and I recall it was really dirty, on a metal bracelet with ill-fitting end pieces, and a scratched acrylic. At first I wasn't sure what to do with it (I think I bought it as part of a small job lot) but then I cleaned it up, polished the acrylic which came up beautifully, and found a nice long black strap to put on it. The watch was transformed from a rather sad little thing to a stunning (well, stunning in my opinion), dressy watch.

The watch originally (when it came to me) had some problems with initially getting going but after wearing it for a bit it was cured and now keeps good time and starts easily. I get the impression it had been unworn for a long time, poor thing. I expect it could do with a service and it will receive some attention in due course.

As an aside, the strap is a very comfortable and long no-name strap from China. Another bargain.

The watch is only 37mm diameter but like many Seiko 5s it seems to wear larger. I'm not sure why that is but it certainly doesn't feel small.

This watch has a 00xxxx serial number so it's from October 1970, 1980, 1990, 2000 or 2010. 2000 and 2010 are obviously out, 1970 is too early, but I think both 1980 and 1990 are within the production timeframe for the 7009 movement (correct me if I'm wrong please). Looking at the deliciously chunky hour markers on this watch I think 1980 is the best bet. Any thoughts on this, anyone?

Aesthetically there is something about this watch that I find very pleasing. The case shape, the recessed crown at 4, and the domed acrylic all add something very satisfying.

Time for some pics. Click to expand as ever.

Specs:
  • Model: Seiko 5 7009-8150, silver white dial, probably from December 1980.
  • Movement: Automatic Seiko 7009, no hacking or handwinding.
  • Hours, minutes, seconds, day, date.
  • Recessed push in crown.
  • Some lume on hour and minute hands and on hour markers but not really noticeable.
  • Water resistance: "Water Resistent".
  • Flat top domed acrylic crystal.
  • Screw down case back, stainless steel case and case back.
  • On no-name Chinese leather strap.
  • Diameter (excluding crown): 37mm
  • Diameter (including crown): 37.4mm
  • Height: 11.3mm
  • Lug-to-lug length: 39.8mm
  • Lug width: 19mm
  • Weight (on strap): 52g

Updated 7th November 2012 at 03:02 by markrlondon (Fixed typo; fixed erroneous production date.)

Categories
MarkR's Blog ,

Comments

Do Not Sell My Personal Information