closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
View RSS Feed

MarkR's Blog

Today's watch: Louis Erard 1931 Classic Moon Phase Triple Date

Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

I saw this in SC in June last year after it was posted for what I thought was a bargain price. I'd wanted a triple date (i.e. date pointer, day wheel, month wheel) for some time and this seemed stunning for the price. Oddly enough it had been passed around on the forum a bit beforehand... I think it is a lovely watch but I do understand that gold (plating) is not popular at the moment and it's a bit big in some people's views for a dress watch. All the same, it pushed my buttons. I met up with Simon in central London and after handing over some cash in a very suspicious-looking manner the watch was mine.

The watch keeps good time and gets going quickly after being manually wound or worn for a few seconds. I think that power reserve might be a bit reduced compared to a normal 2824-2 due to the extra Dubois Dépraz triple date module but I've not tested it precisely; it's more than good enough for my needs. The complications are easy to set via the recessed pushers, although I often neglect to set the moon phase. On the wrist it's extremely comfortable to wear. The only drawback is that I think I'd like it a little bit more if the deployant clasp had release buttons (instead of the push fit that it has). Overall this is one of my favourite watches.

This is a homage to the JLC Master Moon, a model that is now discontinued by JLC. This model is also discontinued by Louis Erard. The watch is Swiss Made, possibly by Zeno.

Well, this wouldn't be a watch blog without some pics so here they are. Apologies for the dust and generally naff quality. One day I'll learn how to get better lighting without glare.

As ever, click for hi res versions.

Wrist shot

Front view

Oblique shot

Rear shot

Specs:
  • Model: Louis Erard 1931 Classic Moon Phase Triple Date.
  • Movement: Automatic ETA 2824-2 with Dubois Dépraz 9000 triple date module.
  • Set via crown (time and winding only) and four recessed pushers for moon phase, date, day and month.
  • Date pointer, month wheel, day wheel, moon phase wheel.
  • Very small lume dots on on the hours and lume on the minute and hour hands.
  • Water resistance: 5 ATM.
  • Flat sapphire crystal front and sapphire display back.
  • Back is attached by corner screws.
  • On leather strap with Louis Erard double deployant clasp.
  • Diameter (excluding crown): 40mm
  • Diameter (including crown): 44.7mm
  • Height: 11.9mm
  • Lug-to-lug length: 47.4mm
  • Lug width: 21mm
  • Weight (on strap): 87g

P.S. Yes, the moon phase is not correctly set in the pics. :-)

Updated 13th November 2012 at 21:32 by markrlondon (Added intro picture; fixed typos.)

Categories
MarkR's Blog ,

Comments

Do Not Sell My Personal Information