PDA

View Full Version : IWC cal 89 camera timer

Si
10th February 2005, 18:37
Unusual item here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31387&item=4966114868&rd=1

In what sort of situations would this have been used?

Si

Foggy
10th February 2005, 18:47
Hello Si

In an aircraft taking pictures on a recon mission ?

Cheers

Foggy

Si
10th February 2005, 18:51
Hi Foggy

Dunno, surely a pilot / observer would take the pic manually once the plane was over the correct spot.

I assume it only closes the contacts once in 12 or 24 hours?

Si

Foggy
10th February 2005, 19:16
Hello Si

Don't know then. I'm only going on info I've picked up from the internet over the years. One for sale says

IWC Camera unit timing device from world war11 This is the rarest thing your going to see for a while (possible museum piece) and a real gem to the avid IWC collector FAMOUS CAL 89 MOVEMENT with Broad Arrow both on movement and screwback case complete with inner dust cover. Other markings on screwback plate 10AF / 807 N.I.017 which I understand to indicate South African Air Force

Cheers

Foggy

Grath
10th February 2005, 19:35
I'm guessing here, but perhaps before an aircraft's camera is loaded or unloaded the ground crew puts this watch over the camera lens. The contacts fire the camera and put a time stamp on the roll of film. Plausible?

swanbourne
10th February 2005, 23:03
Hello Si

Don't know then. I'm only going on info I've picked up from the internet over the years. One for sale says

IWC Camera unit timing device from world war11 This is the rarest thing your going to see for a while (possible museum piece) and a real gem to the avid IWC collector FAMOUS CAL 89 MOVEMENT with Broad Arrow both on movement and screwback case complete with inner dust cover. Other markings on screwback plate 10AF / 807 N.I.017 which I understand to indicate South African Air Force

Cheers

Foggy

There's only one flaw with that quote about the cameral timer being WWII, calibre 89 wasn't manufactured until 1946. Wasn't it used to record the time the shot was taken, in the bottom corner of the frame?

Eddie

Foggy
10th February 2005, 23:15
Wasn't it used to record the time the shot was taken, in the bottom corner of the frame?

Hi Eddie & Grath

I'd say that's a pretty plausible explanation.

Cheers

Foggy

Crusader
10th February 2005, 23:16
Wasn't it used to record the time the shot was taken, in the bottom corner of the frame?

The time-stamp theory sounds the most plausible to me.