PDA

View Full Version : The best band/gig you ever saw.

Neil.C
20th October 2003, 18:41
I don't know if this has been done before but what was the best band/gig you ever saw?

Mine was "The Who" at the Albert Hall.

Runner up is "Pink Floyd" at Earls Court.

Third place "Deep Purple" at Birmingham town hall.

swanbourne
20th October 2003, 18:53
Probably Tina Turner at the Club Fiesta in Sheffield during her intermediate period. A few months before she released "What's Love Got To Do With It" and not long after she split with Ike. Lots of dancers and talented musicians, an astonishing show.

Eddie

Jeroen
20th October 2003, 20:08
As a young lad my father took me to a promising bluesband who played a few gigs in the Netherlands in 1969 or 1970.... my first concert.... Fleetwood Mac :)

Other great ones were the Yessongs concert that Yes did in Rotterdam in 72 or 73 and the concert that Genesis did in '76... Pink Floyd 'the Pulse' in 1994......

hard to choose..... there were many more, Eric Clapton, Joe Cocker, Weather Report, Deep Purple, Little River Band, Eagles, Modern Jazz Quartet, James Taylor, Jackson Browne......

It was much easier to get tickets some 20-30 years ago.... :? ... a concert almost every month......

(yes I'm getting old.... :twisted: ..... dwelling on the past....)

Jeroen

JasonG
20th October 2003, 20:45
...my bestest gig would have to be Gong at the Riverside Club in Newcastle. Loud, mellow and very very trippy. :roll:

Second best would probably be Red Hot Chilli Peppers at the same venue...door limit of 350 makes for a nice intimate eveing. :-) Fishbone were quite good too.

ttfn

JasonG

Mrcrowley
20th October 2003, 21:05
Motorhead last Tuesday in Leeds. Never thought i'd get to see them, & knew i'd enjoy it, but w-ow! Awesome. They had Wildhearts as support - they're good as it is. Lemmy is a real showman, between songs as well. And they can play! He soon sorted a bloke trying to heckle him. During drum solo he went behind the speakers, & you could see a hand from backstage passing bottles of JDs across :D

Neil.C
21st October 2003, 07:59
Jeroen

Seeing Fleetwood Mac when they were the original Peter Green line up must have been great. What a player!

I actually saw him last year as he has migrated to my part of the world after his many problems.

He is very fat and his voice is just a rasp so he only sings one song and other band members do the rest, but when he goes off on his guitar.....

He received a really great reception from all the old rockers there which helped him along as he still looks pretty emotionally fragile.

Definitely one of the great UK guitarists with his understated bluesy style.

Neil.C
21st October 2003, 08:07
Eddie

Talking of the Tina Turner concert you went to sounded a bit like one of the old "Soul Revues"

The first gig I ever went to was in about 1965 with "Martha and the Vandellas", "The Marvelettes" and "Johnnie Johnson and the bandwagon"

Marvelettes doing "Mr Postman" sheer heaven!

One group after another for about five bob!

Everyone all "Modded" up. 8)

Thats living :D

markc
22nd October 2003, 08:43
In Brum - all those years ago.

A charity gig with the following as SOME (not all) of the acts:

comperes:

Lenny Henry, Jim Davidson, Peter Powell, Noddy Holder

Bands:

ELO, Roy Wood (Wizzard), Moody Blues, UB40, Robert Plant, The Applejacks, and many many more!

Started at about 1:00 and went on 'till 11:30 - fantastic!!

SteveP
22nd October 2003, 15:40
1.The best (and loudest) was AC/DC on the Highway to Hell tour in 1979 at Manchester Apollo. They were supported by a young Def Leppard who were also very good and showed some promise.

2. Rush at Deeside in 1981 on the Exit Stage Left tour

3. UFO again at Manchester Apollo on their comeback tour in 1998 - first time I'd managed to see them with Schenker on guitar - absolutely awesome and a great night.

Dougie Melville
25th October 2003, 11:35
This was the best, because it was the first rock concert i'd ever been to. Electric Gardens in Glasgow.

Since then: Pink Floyd, Genesis, 10CC (Mega loud), Meatloaf, Strawbs (first time out for Rick Wakeman), The Nice/ELP, Yes, Runrig, Sky, Dire Straits, Queen (fan-bloody-tastic) etc etc

Most surprising.......Elton John single man tour. Got dragged along by the wife protesting all the way. 1 1/2 hours non-stop on his own and then a further 1 1/2 hours with Ray Cooper on percussion. Brilliant.

Worst was Cliff Richard. Anniversary present for the wife (should've divorced her instead). Short concert - lousy value AND to make matters worse met up with the guy who was covering my duty programmer stint that night (had'nt told him where I was going) and she told him where we had been!! Dogs abuse next day at work!!!!

pauluspaolo
20th November 2003, 12:24
Page and Plant were superb when I saw them in Sheffield (can't remember what year it was, sorry) - the closest I'll ever get to seeing Led Zeppelin.
Rush - any one of the 3 times I've seen them - they are still one of my all time favourite groups. All three members are superb musicians. Neil Peart is without doubt the best drummer I've ever had the pleasure of seeing, they were never afraid to try new musical directions and never churned out the same old stuff album after album. Superb group.
Pink Floyd at Wembley - epic in every sense - epic venue, epic effects and epic group (though, as Roger Waters had departed, not quite as epic as they could have been!) and the weather was good too.
Terrorvision on their farewell tour (as it turned to be) was one of the best small gigs I've seen recently (a couple of years ago now). The most recent group I saw were Bowling For Soup at the Sheffield Octagon last month - very good they were too, though the support group called Farce were dreadful!
Kylie was a bit good too when I saw her on her last tour in Manchester.
Cheers
Paul

mikem
12th December 2003, 18:56
......have always been a consistently good band to see live, real crowd pleasers.

I've seen them several times but remember how they took the show at an early Donnington ('82 I think). They were third in the line up behind AC/DC, Whitesnake and Blue Oyster Cult and they blew everyone away (though Blackfoot did a storming set before them).

Regards

Mike

swanbourne
12th December 2003, 19:34
I have to add to my earlier post. Went to see Queen during their "Kind of Magic" tour at Maine Road Manchester in 1986 with support from Quo and Belouis Some (who?). Great show as Freddie appeared through the dry ice mist after the opening bars of "One Vision" to open the set.

The highlight of the Quo set for me was the twin sisters to my right, hair down to their arse and headbanging to all the Quo songs, they must have had a headache. Did I watch Quo? No, I watched the twins. I seem to recall they had tight T-shirts without bras - just one of those things which sticks in your mind.

Eddie

Ming Thein
12th December 2003, 19:46
I have to add to my earlier post. Went to see Queen during their "Kind of Magic" tour at Maine Road Manchester in 1986 with support from Quo and Belouis Some (who?). Great show as Freddie appeared through the dry ice mist after the opening bars of "One Vision" to open the set.

The highlight of the Quo set for me was the twin sisters to my right, hair down to their arse and headbanging to all the Quo songs, they must have had a headache. Did I watch Quo? No, I watched the twins. I seem to recall they had tight T-shirts without bras - just one of those things which sticks in your mind.

Eddie

Only one thing sticking in your mind? Twins would have made me thought it'd be four of them... :wink:

Ming

tempus
13th December 2003, 04:01
To be brutally honest, my crap memory, combined with usual inebriated states prevents me from recalling a 'best gig'

However I was very impressed by the Quo when they arrived by hellicopter at the opening match od a certain Footy Stadium, played a few tunes and a medley, then left by wirleybird :D

I also recall seeing the Waterboys, Alarm. Hothouse Folwers, Martin Stephenson and the Daintees, Stryper, Eurithmics...and then it goes all blurry :?

KCampbell
21st December 2003, 00:20
Talking Heads during their "Stop Making Sense" tour. Incredible.

Kevin

Richie
9th April 2004, 20:52
The Clash, Sheffield Fiesta, either late '77 or early '78. After an afternoon of swatting various fruit/vegetables from the balcony round the outside of the club onto the buses in Pond Street, followed by a short sprint courtesy of the boys in blue and a bomburst into the fargate /crucible area. Then a gradual re org in the Brown Bear just in time for a jar and a slow bimble back to the Fiesta and a truly memorable and loud gig.

endure
9th April 2004, 21:06
Stevie Wonder at the Mojo in Sheffield in the late 60s. The Mojo was Pete Stringfellow's first club and it was the only club that Stevie Wonder would play. All the rest were concert halls. Stevie came out into the crowd and chatted to us all before he went on. The Mojo had all the best bands of the 60s. practically all of the Tamla Motown crowd, the Drifters, Hendrix, Small Faces, Chris Farlow.

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers at the Beachcomber in Nottingham.

The Four Tops at the Dungeon in Nottingham.

Did anyone here ever go to the Twisted Wheel on Whitworth Street in Manchester in the 60s?

KH2
29th April 2004, 21:19
Talking Heads during their "Stop Making Sense" tour. Incredible.
Kevin

I would love to have seen that !
Actually the Stop Making sence is a true classic and a must have record for me.

My first ever consert was a Manfred Mann Consert in Norway, loooong time ago, result is that "Mighty Quinn" ( text Bob Dylan ) and "Blinded by the light" still are two of my favourite songs.

Best consert ever : PINK FLOYD, been to several and when the oldies from "Wish you were here", "Animals" and "Dark side of the moon" +++ are played I simply leen back and leave this world for a while 8)

I also would love to have been at Pioneer Squere in Seattle with Pearl Jam before they got main stream. :headbang: :headbang:
KH2

Gogiants
2nd May 2004, 21:41
Well, I'm late into this thread, but I'm newe here, so I have an excuse.

I think the best show I've ever seen is Dave Alvin at VZD's in Oklahoma City in 1985. Anyone else here been there? :lol:

I may be overlooking Stevie Ray Vaughn at the Stone in San Francisco a few days after the release of his first album.

A question for those of you that have mentioned a been called "Quo". Is that the band Status Quo? If so, they are not very well known over here in the USofA. I don't really know how they are thought of in the UK, but they do play a couple of songs I enjoy. In fact I have 2 of theit LPs.

One off topic statement, NeilC, I think your Bull Terrier is a beautiful dog. James Hinks would be proud (was he a minister?). I am the proud owner of a breed related to yours. I own a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Best dog I'ver ever owned.

Jack

Neil.C
3rd May 2004, 11:41
Jack

"Quo" does indeed mean "Status Quo", a term used by their many fans.

I saw them in the early 70's in Hastings and they put on a stonking rock-a -boogie performance.

Thanks for your kind comments on my little darling :D

There was actually interbreeding of the Staff into the EBT in the early days to bring in some colour as the all white dogs are prone to deafness as all white dogs are.

Here's a bigger pic I like to call, "Try and take the ball".

http://img28.photobucket.com/albums/v84/neil271052/fc05244b.jpg

Gogiants
3rd May 2004, 23:47
Sorry, if it is improper posting this here. I certainly don't mean to hijack this thread. Let me know if I shouldn't have done it and I won't do this again.

Neil,

Don't know if TKC is the same, but here in the US, the AKC has 2 different standards. One is for white Bull Terriers, and the other is for colored Bull Terriers.

About Status Quo: Back in the very early 80's, I helped pay for college by playing very bad guitar in a cover band. Not that we wanted to play covers, it's just that engineering students aren't usually creaative enough to write songs. Anyhow, we played two Quo songs, "Roll Over Lay Down" and "Caroline". As I said before, Quo is not well known here. People always would ask us about the 2 original songs we play, meaning those 2 songs. I was always too honest to take credit for them.

As far as British bands from the 70's that were never well known in the US, my favorite is Dr. Feelgood. But only the version of Dr. Feelgood that had Wilko Johnson playing guitar. That guy was quite a stylist, I thought.

Anyone see a Feelgood show with Wilko playing?

Jack

ewan.w
4th May 2004, 18:33
Hi all

Most enjoyable was Motorhead on their 'Ace of Spades' tour in 1981(?); great fun at the Hammersmith Odeon. How old is Lemmy now? Must be knocking on a bit.

Ewan

Mrcrowley
4th May 2004, 22:21
Lemmy is 58 in December.

I saw them in November- awsome.

adrian
5th May 2004, 03:30
'Ace of Spades' rules. 8)
The biggest (and only :oops: ) concert I have ever seen was Iron Maiden in Montreal in february. Bruce was there. :headbang:

chrisb
5th May 2004, 09:00
It's gotta be TYA at Manchester in '68? I think.

Clouds & Jethro Tull were also on the bill :)

Mrcrowley
5th May 2004, 09:16
About Ace of Spades. However Lemmy is sick of playing it. They only put it on the concert playlists now as it's still so popular. I can see his point. A lot of people think it's the only song they ever did!

I can't choose an outright fave. Maybe one above, Killed By Death, Civil War. List is endless..............

ewan.w
5th May 2004, 17:29
..all those moons ago they played a few of the old Hawkwind tracks which was great, Urban Guerilla and of course good old Silver Machine I seem to recall.

Funnily enough, saw Hawkwind too around the same time...excellent!!

Neil.C
6th May 2004, 10:48
Sorry, if it is improper posting this here. I certainly don't mean to hijack this thread. Let me know if I shouldn't have done it and I won't do this again.

Neil,

Don't know if TKC is the same, but here in the US, the AKC has 2 different standards. One is for white Bull Terriers, and the other is for colored Bull Terriers.

About Status Quo: Back in the very early 80's, I helped pay for college by playing very bad guitar in a cover band. Not that we wanted to play covers, it's just that engineering students aren't usually creaative enough to write songs. Anyhow, we played two Quo songs, "Roll Over Lay Down" and "Caroline". As I said before, Quo is not well known here. People always would ask us about the 2 original songs we play, meaning those 2 songs. I was always too honest to take credit for them.

As far as British bands from the 70's that were never well known in the US, my favorite is Dr. Feelgood. But only the version of Dr. Feelgood that had Wilko Johnson playing guitar. That guy was quite a stylist, I thought.

Anyone see a Feelgood show with Wilko playing?

Jack

Jack

Regarding Dr Feelgood with Wilko Johnson they were a fabulous band, Wilko was definitely a one off. They wen't the same when he left.
Sadly Lee Brilleaux the bands singer died very young a few years back.

They came from Canvey island in Essex.

Fantastic!!

I never saw them live just some concerts they played on TV years ago.

I'm actually quite surprised you have heard of them in the US.

FYI The Kennel club over here lists white and coloured EBT's together I'm surprised they seperate them in the US as they are one breed.

BTW with your Go Giants moniker I assume you are a New Yorker?

Gogiants
7th May 2004, 00:31
Hello Neil,

Yes, I had heard of Brilleaux death. Sad.

I knew they were from Canvey Island too. Home of another obscure band, I think, Eddie and the Hot Rods. They did a really rockin' version of Bob Seeger's "Get Out of Denver".

Yes, the Feelgoods are not known well in this country. But they are no more unheard of than Status Quo. Don't remember how I found out about them.

Do you know if Wilko plays anymore?

About Bull Teriers: The AKC considers the coloreds and the whites the same breeds. Just different color varieties, each with their own standard. I don't know why. Funny though, you refer to them as English Bull Terriers, here we just call them Bull Terriers.

No, I'm not a New Yorker. I am a displaced Califonian living in Oklahoma for the last 20 years. I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area. As far as my screen name, while you obviously know, the New York Giants play football (I refuse to call it American Football, you people play SOCCER :) ), there is a baseball team called the San Francisco Giants. I am a baseball lover, and a huge fan of the San Francisco Giants.

Jack

Fullbreakfast
3rd October 2004, 21:27
Motorhead last Tuesday in Leeds. Never thought i'd get to see them, & knew i'd enjoy it, but w-ow! Awesome. They had Wildhearts as support - they're good as it is. Lemmy is a real showman, between songs as well. And they can play! He soon sorted a bloke trying to heckle him. During drum solo he went behind the speakers, & you could see a hand from backstage passing bottles of JDs across :D
First gig I ever went to was Motorhead at Bradford (St. George's Hall). Zodiac Mindwarp & The Love Reaction supporting. Possibly still the loudest gig I've ever been deafened by...

rfrazier
3rd October 2004, 21:51
Berserkley (aka Berkeley), 1972, Grateful Dead

What I remember of it. They really were transparent, weren't they? ;)

Best wishes,
Bob

Nalu
3rd October 2004, 22:33
UB40, late 80's in grad school. A group called "Black Star Reggae Band" opened, and were so well received Ali et. al. could have never shown and I have been satisfied. Yet they marched onto a dark stage (blunts in hand, so you knew they were there), and opened with the bright lights and the blaring horn intro from "If It Happens Again", blowing us away and carrying us right back to the frenzied heights Black Star had left us at.

Of the four times I've seen that talented group, that one stands out.

Tina Turner, late 80's during grad school again. I had a light crew pass and could wander around, right down in front. I think she sweated on me during "You Better Be Good To Me" - the first and only time I've ever felt starstruck :shock: :blob: :love4:

Sadly enough, I had to shower last week :cry:

swedeone3
4th October 2004, 17:24
Rush, MSG 1992 was still the best live show I have ever seen. Three of the most talented guys to ever play IMO with Neal Peart being just flat-out brilliant. Elvis Costello was rather good as well.

Fullbreakfast
1st November 2004, 01:18
Since Friday night I have a new personal candidate for best gig. Saw Franz Ferdinand at the Brixton Academy and they were sensational. Total and utter rock and roll.

In fact the entire set was at a level of intensity that had me jumping up and down, shouting, and grinning all over my face. Given that these days slouching round the back of a gig looking sullen is more likely to be my reaction, not bad...

4th November 2004, 18:14
I saw Motorhead in the late 70s at the Viccy Hall in Hanley Stoke-on-Trent which is close to where Lemmy comes from (Burslem).
The best Gig was Rush at the NEC back in '89.

Cheers,

Ian

sparmar1
25th October 2005, 11:06
Best gig was George Clinton and the P Funk Allstars at Hammersmith Odeon in 1991/1992. The Mothership had definitely landed :D

Sanjay

cricketer
25th October 2005, 11:13
Best gigs-

1) U2 at Cardiff this year

2) Radiohead at South Park Oxford 2001

3) Neil Young & Crazy Horse at Glasgow around '98

4) Rolling Stones at Wembley Arena around 1973 !!!

:)

Alan

Griswold
25th October 2005, 12:50
I guess my favourite live concert has to be The Beatles, December 1963 at the Gaumont, Doncaster. 1/5s/0d for two seats bang in the centre of the front row of the circle. :D :D :D :D

Saved my butchers round money for weeks and queued all night to get the tickets. Boy was it cold. :(

Supporting act was Peter Jay & the Jaywalkers. Peter Jay was one of the best drummers, (probably only bettered by Ian Pace, Brian Bennet and Tony Meehan), that I've seen. His drum solo was worth the ticket price alone.

The Beatles, fan bloody tastic. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Took my 'then' girlfriend. We broke up a month later. :D

Phil Lee
25th October 2005, 14:24
I can't pick one so I'll pick 3. They are:

26/11/03: Fleetwood Mac at NEC, Birmingham
4/12/03: Fleetwood Mac at MEN Arena, Manchester
5/12/03: Fleetwood Mac at MEN Arena, Manchester

I was standing at the front at all 3 concerts, within a couple of feet of Stevie Nicks. I was legitimately at the front for the first 2 concerts, having bought a front row seat for both of them. With 10 minutes to go before the concert started, those in the front 3 rows were allowed to stand up against the stage, with no barriers in the way.

For the second Manchester concert I blagged my way to the front. I went into the arena with my proper ticket for the night, which would have put me about 20 rows back. When I got into the arena I got myself into the floor seated area and to the front by showing my ticket from the previous night with my thumb over the date which was conveniently printed at the bottom left hand corner. Needless to say I was well chuffed.

All 3 concerts were great. I took photos at the first two. The ones from Birmingham didn't come out as well as those from Manchester. The Birmingham concert was John McVie's birthday. During one of the encores we led a chorus of Happy Birthday from the front row and John was showered with stuffed penguins. I got to play Lindsey Buckingham's guitar at all 3 concerts and got a high 5 from him at the end of one of his solos at the second Manchester concert.

The music was fantastic, but then I would say that as Fleetwood Mac are my favourite band. Lindsey's guitar playing was second to none.

Other honourable mentions go to the two other Fleetwood Mac concerts I went to on that tour in Newcastle and a second one in Birmingham (when I had a dose of the flu). I'd also like to put a word in for Genesis at Knebworth in 1992, U2 in Manchester this year, Sheryl Crow at the Academy in Manchester (~500 people) and Peter Gabriel in 2003 and 2004 in Manchester, Newcastle and Birmingham.

Dapper
25th October 2005, 17:34
Tangerine Dream at the Dominion, London, 1983 (recorded live as 'Logos').
TD at their height.

endure
25th October 2005, 19:12
Stevie Wonder at the Mojo in Sheffield in 19sixtything-ish :D

jwg663
26th October 2005, 08:25
Best gigs-

Alan
I was there and am sure it was Neil Young & Booker T & the MGs...(Steve Cropper!!!)...Support was Teenage Fanclub & 4 Non Blondes...You couldn't be the guy in front of me who dropped a huge lump of hash on the floor & spent 30+ minutes crawling between legs to retrieve it!!!
Personal best...Rory Gallagher at the Apollo in 1974/1975...Just superb...
All the best
Jim

cricketer
26th October 2005, 16:38
Best gigs-

Alan
I was there and am sure it was Neil Young & Booker T & the MGs...(Steve Cropper!!!)...Support was Teenage Fanclub & 4 Non Blondes...You couldn't be the guy in front of me who dropped a huge lump of hash on the floor & spent 30+ minutes crawling between legs to retrieve it!!!
Personal best...Rory Gallagher at the Apollo in 1974/1975...Just superb...
All the best
Jim

Hi Jim,

got my date wrong it was 1996, with Crazy Horse.

cheers

Alan

Andrzej
20th November 2005, 14:35
Though have enjoyed music as far as Dido and Sheryl Crow.
But in the 60s and 70s saw all the gods.

Mrcrowley
20th November 2005, 14:51
Though have enjoyed music as far as Dido and Sheryl Crow.
But in the 60s and 70s saw all the gods.

Music is a personal thing.

No matter if you saw the Beatles yet now like Dido.

I like Motorhead. However this week we have been deciding my mum in law's favourite Frank Sinatra tunes for her funeral. I like music of that era also.

MikeB
14th February 2006, 14:02
Best concert I ever saw was Zappa, in Frankfurt mid-70s :shock:

I had a girlfriend who worked for the concert orgainizer, Lippmann and Rau, so we were let in the side door in the afternoon to sit in an empty hall and watch the sound checks. Zappa was brilliant, almost as good as the concert in the evening - people forget what an excellent guitarist he was.

Mind you, seeing The Who live in my home town of Leeds when I was a lad in the 60's was a very close second!

Neil.C
14th February 2006, 16:23
Mind you, seeing The Who live in my home town of Leeds when I was a lad in the 60's was a very close second!

As in "Live at leeds"? 8)

Considered one of the finest live albums ever. :D

MikeB
14th February 2006, 17:04
Just before Christmas 1965 (old git) - not sure if it was the one they recorded, I think that may have been a little later. "Substitute" was their new record. I thought at the time they may go places, if they ever had any equipment left!

Steve264
7th June 2006, 01:05
this is very difficult.

Stones '72?
The Faces in '71
Humble Pie in '73
Roxy Music several times
Sex pistols at the 100 club? ( I was there)
Clash (many gigs)
Kid Creole and the Coconuts (they were brilliant) x3
Ian Dury and the Blockheads
Dr Feelgood (many times) + Wilko on his own

I'm gonna have to go with Bowie on his Ziggy Stardust farewell tour around the time of releasing Aladdin Sane. It will live with me forever.

PS I was VERY young when I started going to these gigs. :oops: