closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AP Royal Oak Offshore Diver

AP Royal Oak Offshore Diver

Hello all !

Having been absent here for quite a while I would like to give a mini review of my newly acquired Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Diver. It´s a watch that I have been secretly dreaming of for a long time, but I have always thought that it would be outside my reach.

But looking at my "collection" of watches recently I arrived at the conclusion that it would indeed now be possible - only hurdle was that it required sacrificing a couple of watches that I was very fond of. However having given it a little more thought I realized that none of the watches in question would be impossible for me to reacquire.

So off to one of the many danish "good guy" used watch dealers I went - swapped my Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra, my Rolex Sea Dweller "triple 6" and an Omega Constellation Pie Pan and returned home a happy camper wearing the AP ROO Diver on a bracelet on my wrist :-)

At this time I have had the watch for a couple of weeks and would like to share my first impressions of it with you.

Weight and comfort

It is a massive and heavy watch !! In my configuration on the bracelet it weighs in at a 238 grams - about the same weight as a Rolex Deep Sea. But where the Deep Sea feels a bit waddely on the arm due to most of its weight being concentrated in the case, the AP rides very stable and easy on the arm, no doubt due to the wide and very solid bracelet combined with the fact that the case of the watch is quite long because of the "semi integrated" bracelet.

So even though it is a heavy watch the comfort is imho not impaired by the weight. With the rubber strap mounted the watch weighs only 168 grams which roughly resembles the weight of my old Sea Dweller 16660 and the rubber strap is BY FAR the softest and most comfortable rubber strap I have ever encountered. At the same time the strap is quite wide so all in all the AP on the rubber strap feels almost light as a feather on the arm. And as an addition the expression of the watch changes entirely with the rubber.

Some facts about the weight:

Watch on bracelet: 238 grams (1 link removed)
    Bracelet alone: 101 grams
    1 link: 4 grams
    Wach on rubber: 168 grams
    Rubber strap: 30 grams
    Watch case alone: 138 grams

Dial, hands and date window

The dial with its waffle patterns carved and engraved into a brass plate and laquered black catches the light in a very special way giving it the most fantastic sparkle. If I were to have an issue with this it would be that I think it would suit the watch if the waffle pattern was a bit more fine, maybe closer to the size of the waffles found in the regular Royal Oak dials. But the large waffles has become the trademark of the Diver and is maybe very fitting to the overall "beefed up" dimensions of the watch compared to the regular Royal Oak series.

The hands are well dimensioned and wide and in connection with the very simple "stick" hour markings it makes it easy to read the time in any condition. The lume is a bit subdued but lasts quite a long time. The numbers and markings on the internal dive ring are also applied with luminous material so even though the lume is subdued there will be plenty to look at in the dark :-)

The date window has a glass magnifier that is mounted level with the surface of the dial making the numbers easier to read. The magnification however is not as great as on the Submariners so you will still have to struggle a bit to see the date if you (as I am) are starting to feel the age a bit ! ;-)

The crystal is flat and levels with the surface of the front of the watch. It is coated on the inside and free of reflections. The coating is very discreet and barely noticeable except for the absence of reflections. It does not have the blueish shine to it that is frequently seen on other watches with anti reflex coating.

Size - real and imagined

The watch seems as a giant on the wrist - far larger than its dimensions entitle !! Especially on the bracelet which is properly due to the width of the bracelet where it is attached to the case: 28 mm !! Combined with the long case, the wide bezel with its distinctive screws and the integrated dive ring, the watch seems massive !! Incidentally the "screws" on the bezel are in fact bolt heads - the entire watch is held together by bolts going through the bezel, case and back of the watch as a sandwich.

In spite of its massive appearance the watch measures only a very normal 42 mm excluding the crown. But as a result of the characteristics combined with the very sturdy crown protectors running along the entire side of the case, the watch seems as a 47 mm watch (which actually is its dimensions including the crown).

One factor that I think is adding to the watch´s bulkiness is the integrated dive ring which makes the dial seem much larger. The dive ring is quite wide in itself. It is operated by the crown placed ad 10 o´clock which is screwed anti clockwise until you feel it clear the threads after which it can be turned in one direction only anti clockwise. Now with a "high end" watch like this you would think that the operation of the dive ring would feel very delicate but this is not the case - the dive ring turns in 60 sturdy "clonck´s" landing spot on on the minute markings for every "clonck" ! The whole system seems very solid and one is almost tempted to call it "rough" in constrast to its immaculate finish and the "high end" status. Not that the function is not precise and well engineered, but never the less the sturdiness was a surprise to me.

The crown for the dive ring is marked with a circle and the watch crown is engraved with the AP logo. Both crowns are encased in rubber which however is sufficiently hard to make the crowns seem solid and as "one piece".

When you unscrew the crown however you immediately feel the watches "high end" pedigree - the wind up function, change of date and setting of the hands seem very delicate in a very noticeable contrast to the operation of the dive ring. Here there is no need to be rough - quite the opposite !! One detail that I find a bit annoying really is that it is quite hard to make the minute hand stay in its position precisely positioned on the marking when you push in the crown after having set the time. The hand has a tendency to "jump" just a fraction of a millimeter - so if you are a "precision geek" (which I am) that cares greatly that everything lines up correctly having set the time, be prepared that it will take 4-5 attempts before you are completely satisfied with the result. But with a bit of practice ....... :-) However this is apparently a feature that is common with this watch since I have read several reviews mentioning the same.

To be continued..............
    Last edited by pbr; 1st July 2013 at 16:05.

AP Royal Oak Offshore Diver

Continued ...............

Case back, bracelet and lock

The screw fixed back case is very solid and thick and is adding to the impression of the watch as massive. The overall construction of the watch being bolted together in a "sandwich construction" with rubber gaskets between the layers makes the watch seem almost "tool´ish" in spite of the almost hysterically immaculate finish with its edges and its brushed and polished sides. The same goes for the bracelet and the lock - everything is very solidly dimensioned in a way that the watch almost seems over engineered !!

But in spite of its dimensions the finish is, as I mentioned, hysterical - the attention to detail is impressive !! All edges, brushwork, polishing etc is top notch. But still the watch does not seem sensitive to use (except maybe for the polished parts of the bezel and its edges). Even though my watch is from 2011 and has normal signs of wear this does not drag down the level of finish. It is clear that the watch is an example of an incredible piece of craftsmanship.......... which can handle use !!

General first hand impression

This is a watch that you will fall in love with - it is one of those watches where you will constantly find yourself looking at your wrist just to enjoy the sight !! Forget what time it is - its not important .......... it is not the reason for looking at your wrist !! :-D

I will say however that it is not a watch to wear exclusively on the bracelet - in my opinion it is a must to have the rubber strap as well to put on. Makes the watch a bit more versatile and gives you the added possibility to step down on weight for a period.

All in all the ROO Diver has lived up to all of my expectations until now - and then some !! I thoroughly enjoy wearing it and am looking forward to using it as my primary watch :-) But luckily I also have my Citizen JP2000-8E and my Marathon MSAR as stand ins as "beaters" should I be deployed again, as I am a member of the Danish Armed Forces and have had 4 deployments until now, two of these being to Helmand, Afghanistan. I will certainly not be wearing my ROO Diver in the "Sandbox" !! :-D

A couple of pictures taken with my macro lense

And finishing of with the obligatory "Lume Shot"

Cheers

Grand Master
    Thank you for taking the time and effort to produce such a detailed and informative post, any potential buyer will benefit greatly from this review
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Thank you for taking the time and effort to produce such a detailed and informative post, any potential buyer will benefit greatly from this review
    Yep. Definitely liking the bracelet combo.

One day, soon I hope. LOL

Master
    That's a superb review mentioning some of the flaws such as the minute-hand-flick on pushing the crown back in. I did find the lume to be worse than you state though. Excellent when first charged but with quite a sharp drop-off.

When I first bought mine, I was worried about dinking the bezel, but a call to AP confirmed they will A) re-finish the steel for £200 or so at any time (up to three times on the bezel before it needs replacing) and B) a new bezel is cheaper than I expected at £500 or so.

It's a stunning watch. Weighty but they bracelet is simply like no other out there and it's so comfortable that the weight is somehow hidden a little.

This was mine and I miss having it:

Excellent write up and a lovely watch. One day...!! :-)

I had the standard Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15300ST. It didn't really do anything for me so I sold it but this!!!!!! I wish i'd have bought it off you Wayne when you were selling it! Seriously considering releasing a few Panerai and tracking one down now.

Fantastic review by the OP!
    Last edited by paneristi372; 30th June 2013 at 22:38.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    I had the standard Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15300ST. It didn't really do anything for me so I sold it but this!!!!!! I wish if have bought it off you Wayne when you were selling it! Seriously considering releasing a few Panerai and tracking one down now.

Fantastic review by the OP!
    It's a wonderful watch. Useless as a divers watch I'm sure but as I don't dive, that didn't matter

Blog Entries
    That is a wonderful watch and a great review. Thanks for posting OP. I find with these they look better on the rubber but its almost sacrilege to not wear it on the bracelet as they are just so good. What a dilemma!

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    It's a wonderful watch. Useless as a divers watch I'm sure but as I don't dive, that didn't matter
    Quite right !!

The watch does rate 300 m, but the internal dive ring and the placement of the crown operating it, makes it useless as a dive watch, as it will be impossible to operate with neoprene gloves !! :-D

But it will be perfect for snorkeling or shallow water scuba diving in the Caribbean as well for slinging down Mojitos in the bar afterwards !! :-D

However this could be said for any modern dive watch - serious divers today use a proper diving wrist computer instead !

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    I find with these they look better on the rubber but its almost sacrilege to not wear it on the bracelet as they are just so good. What a dilemma!

You are so right - it is almost as easy to change between the strap and the bracelet, as it is to change straps on a Panerai (4 screws instead of 2) ! But I can in every sense confirm the dilemma of not being able to decide between the two options. I have found myself changing up to 4-5 times a day on occasion ! :-D

Thanks to all - I am glad you like my "mini review" as it has been fun to write. I initially wrote it in danish for posting on a Danish watch forum but found that it would be a fun challenge translating it into English :-)

Congratulations on your new watch, and in depth review.

What a wonderful review! Thanks very much for taking the time & effort to share this with us. One of the best reviews I've ever read.

Thanks for this great detailed review of this great watch. Enjoy it.

Craftsman

Fantastic write up!

It just serves to make me miss mine all the more.

Of course it helps that I replaced it with this:

But, still, there's no denying that AP knows their way around a hunk of steel, and IMO, the steel Diver on the bracelet is one of the best showcases for AP's absurdly high level of finish. (Did you know that 35% of the cost of any AP goes into the hand-finishing? It shows.)

Congrats, and wear that magnificent beast in the best of health!

Regards,
    Adam

Banned
    Looked at this and the FF, for me it was almost as if AP had thrown together a diver without much thought it's DNA had the heritage but not the watch itself as a standalone item.

It's a lovely watch but it's neither a diver or a dress, it's a dry sports watch that looks good at drinks time after the event.

And for that reasoning I was out.

Craftsman
    Great review and lovely watch.....it's a bit out of my price range but I loved reading the review

Craftsman

Smile

Fantastic review, thanks.

Wonderful watch that I've always wanted but managed to push to the back of my mind over time.

I must now immediately forget about your review for sanity's sake.

Really nice watch. One day maybe..................

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craniotes View Post
    It just serves to make me miss mine all the more.

Of course it helps that I replaced it with this:

But, still, there's no denying that AP knows their way around a hunk of steel, and IMO, the steel Diver on the bracelet is one of the best showcases for AP's absurdly high level of finish. (Did you know that 35% of the cost of any AP goes into the hand-finishing? It shows.)

Congrats, and wear that magnificent beast in the best of health!

Regards,
    Adam
    Very nice watch Adam... how are the materials holding up to wear and tear on it? I've heard reports for and against the Carbon Fibre.

Blog Entries
    With all this handfinishing I would be very carefull not to scratch it.

Great and interesting review of a watch I'd never buy myself.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Craftsman
    Very nice watch Adam... how are the materials holding up to wear and tear on it? I've heard reports for and against the Carbon Fibre.
    So far, so good. I don't baby my watches, so if the forged carbon isn't up to snuff, we'll know soon enough. That said, my take from research prior to buying the watch was that overall the material is super strong, but with some effort you can scuff it up. The pro: You can hardly see the scuffs because of the marbled nature of forged carbon. The con: Forged carbon cannot be refinished, so if you decide that the case is too beat up, you need to replace it. Fortunately, AP makes this a relatively affordable proposition, as they subsidize some of the cost (e.g. a stainless steel case is far more expensive to replace, but then that's a relatively rare occurrence, since they can be refinished).

Friends of mine who have forged carbon cases report nothing but superlatives, however, with their cases still looking brand new in spite of hard wear.

Regards,
    Adam

PS - One interesting thing about the FC Diver relative to the steel Diver is that the bezel mechanism is a lot easier to manipulate when worn. I rarely used the timing bezel on my steel Diver because it was such a PITA that I had to take it off if I wanted to set it; not so with this one. Apparently, they changed the inner workings from steel to titanium, which accounts for the difference.

Master
    That's some review. Thanks for taking the time to do it. Really informative and well organised (+ a lot of pics ).

Even though the AP RO Offshore isn't my cup of tea this post was so well done that I read it from the beginning to end with pleasure and curiosity.

... excellent review and photos - thanks for sharing! And a stunning watch as well, that is worth the effort of such an in-depth report.

Cheers,
    Christian

Nicely done- write up and the pics!
    Congrats!
    Am also a fan of the AP diver.

Fantastic watch and a very informative review. Thanks for taking the time and effort

Master
    Just put mine on AP leather Hornback to see what it's llike:

Excellent review, many thanks Peter. I've considered this watch a number of times, but it's just a little too big for me :(

Glad you're enjoying it.

Master
    Many thanks for taking the time to write a detailed review Peter. The ROO diver is probably THE watch in the 'used to hate, have grown to love' category for me. I've borrowed a ffriend's on rubber last weekend and it is supremely comfortable.

Craftsman
    Wow, great review (lovely watch as well ;)
    Must say I miss extensive reviews like this. Might need to put one up myself to continue the 'flow'
    Thanks again.

Craftsman
    Nice watch and excellent review! :)

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Just put mine on AP leather Hornback to see what it's llike:

Whow !! That looks fantastic !!

Is that an original Audemars Piguet strap or maybe one from AP Bands ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pbr View Post
    Whow !! That looks fantastic !!

Is that an original Audemars Piguet strap or maybe one from AP Bands ?
    Hi, yeah, original AP hornback from the Survivor model. Cost around £300 without the buckle or end pieces which have to be transferred from the rubber. It has metal fittings inside the watch end which shows the quality of construction.

I can track the part number if you like...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craniotes View Post
    So far, so good. I don't baby my watches, so if the forged carbon isn't up to snuff, we'll know soon enough. That said, my take from research prior to buying the watch was that overall the material is super strong, but with some effort you can scuff it up. The pro: You can hardly see the scuffs because of the marbled nature of forged carbon. The con: Forged carbon cannot be refinished, so if you decide that the case is too beat up, you need to replace it. Fortunately, AP makes this a relatively affordable proposition, as they subsidize some of the cost (e.g. a stainless steel case is far more expensive to replace, but then that's a relatively rare occurrence, since they can be refinished).

Friends of mine who have forged carbon cases report nothing but superlatives, however, with their cases still looking brand new in spite of hard wear.

Regards,
    Adam

PS - One interesting thing about the FC Diver relative to the steel Diver is that the bezel mechanism is a lot easier to manipulate when worn. I rarely used the timing bezel on my steel Diver because it was such a PITA that I had to take it off if I wanted to set it; not so with this one. Apparently, they changed the inner workings from steel to titanium, which accounts for the difference.
    Thanks for the reply. At the time of selling my steel one, I seriously looked into the Carbon. Problem is, I need to try one and they aren't too common in Manchester... with all these footballers up here you'd expect them to be! I'll keep an eye out at a couple of shops that sell them from time to time and see if I can try one at some point.

I believe a new case is around £2000?

Hi, yeah, original AP hornback from the Survivor model. Cost around £300 without the buckle or end pieces which have to be transferred from the rubber. It has metal fittings inside the watch end which shows the quality of construction.

I can track the part number if you like...

That would be nice, thank you !! :-)

Right now I have asked the AD in Denmark to look into if it is possible to acquire a "half-size" link for the bracelet in order to get at better fit on my wrist. If I remove 1 link the bracelet fits like a glove, but sits a bit tight during the day - and if I put the link back again the bracelet is comfortable all day long but is a bit too loose ;-) So a "half-size" link would do the job - however if it is possible I have a sneaking suspicion that it will cost around as much as the hornback strap !! ;-)

If I at one point in time decides to go for the hornback strap as well I would most likely also order an original buckle and end pieces to be fitted permanently on the strap in order to facilitate quick changeover. I don´t think that I could live without the rubber strap - but a leather hornback would be a nice addition to the versatility of the watch ! :-)

The bands from apbands.com seems very nice as well - does anybody have experience with those ?
    Last edited by pbr; 2nd July 2013 at 08:30.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the reply. At the time of selling my steel one, I seriously looked into the Carbon. Problem is, I need to try one and they aren't too common in Manchester... with all these footballers up here you'd expect them to be! I'll keep an eye out at a couple of shops that sell them from time to time and see if I can try one at some point.

I believe a new case is around £2000?
    Actually, it's closer to $1200 USD; it ain't free, but it's doable. And yes, you do need to see one in person before you take the plunge. I was never sold on forged carbon as a material for watch cases, but when I finally handled the FC Diver in person at the 57th Street boutique, it was just a matter of time before one was on my wrist. Your experience may be the exact opposite of mine, hence the 'try before you buy' routine. ;-)

Regards,
    Adam

Great review, thanks. How thick is the watch? It certainly looks quite chunky!

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    Great review, thanks. How thick is the watch? It certainly looks quite chunky!

Thank you - pleased that you liked it ! :-)

I tried to measure the thickness of the case incl. the bezel and the back plate using a "high tech" ruler :-) It appears to be right around 13,5 mm thick, which actually isn´t too bad :-)

Master
    That would be nice, thank you !! :-)

Right now I have asked the AD in Denmark to look into if it is possible to acquire a "half-size" link for the bracelet in order to get at better fit on my wrist. If I remove 1 link the bracelet fits like a glove, but sits a bit tight during the day - and if I put the link back again the bracelet is comfortable all day long but is a bit too loose ;-) So a "half-size" link would do the job - however if it is possible I have a sneaking suspicion that it will cost around as much as the hornback strap !! ;-)

If I at one point in time decides to go for the hornback strap as well I would most likely also order an original buckle and end pieces to be fitted permanently on the strap in order to facilitate quick changeover. I don´t think that I could live without the rubber strap - but a leather hornback would be a nice addition to the versatility of the watch ! :-)

The bands from apbands.com seems very nice as well - does anybody have experience with those ?
    Hi, the part number is BR.403.623.101CR CT/T Bracelet 'croco hornback'.

It does look good, but I think I prefer it on the bracelet for long term use. Would be worth getting the end pieces and buckle, possibly ebay....

Hi, the part number is BR.403.623.101CR CT/T Bracelet 'croco hornback'.

It does look good, but I think I prefer it on the bracelet for long term use. Would be worth getting the end pieces and buckle, possibly ebay....

Thanks !! :-)

Actually I agree with you - i do prefer the bracelet as well. But it is nice to have a couple of alternatives :-)

This model is the turning point where I start to keep an eye on AP divers

Congrats! This is stunning! Great and detailed presentation, thank you! Wear it in good health!

Craftsman
    That is indeed stunning, and a nice little review to boot!

Thank you - pleased that you liked it ! :-)

I tried to measure the thickness of the case incl. the bezel and the back plate using a "high tech" ruler :-) It appears to be right around 13,5 mm thick, which actually isn´t too bad :-)
    That doesn't seem too thick. After reading your review and seeing your pictures I'll have to keep an eye out for one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    That doesn't seem too thick. After reading your review and seeing your pictures I'll have to keep an eye out for one of these.

You are right - the watch does really not seem as thick and massive as it looks once you have it on your arm.

Only thing you have to consider - the thickness of the watch covers the entire width of the case where other watches "thickness" tend to taper away at the sides. This makes this watch a little prone to dings on the bezel - of course this varies from person to person....... it doesn´t worry me so much. But it is something you will have to consider :-)

Other than that ........... go for it !! It is a fantastic watch !! :-D

Great review.

It's my grail watch but I've not yet been brave enough to sell 2 or 3 of my favourites to fund one! Maybe one day!

Enjoy it.

Mark

Grand Master
    I can handle some Royal Oaks... but never that one. Great pics though. Totally OTT size but interesting that AP has a reasonable price card for refinishing; £200 will barely get you a battery change at many UK retailers!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Good review.
    Though I always find that AP walk a fine line with their designs, I really like this one.
    And, as said, the finish screams quality.

Great review. It's certainly my favourite of the ROO range. The chrono's just look a little busy compared with the Diver. The carbon fibre version is very nice as well.

Do like the Diver but just not on the AP bracelet. Find it too rigid personally and not nearly as comfy as a strap - rubber or leather.