closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What Movement..? Mathey Tissot.

What Movement..? Mathey Tissot.

Not sure how I came to buy this... don't recall bidding on it ;/

Anyone have any idea what movement is likely to be inside it? The internet suggests it might be a 2836 - which would be handy - but I think this model should run at 36600 and the 2836 is 28800...

I could just wait and find out of course, but it might be a few weeks and I am curious now ;)

Master
    It has UHF on the dial is it electric? If not Ultra High Frequency I would say 36.6 as well

Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    It has UHF on the dial is it electric? If not Ultra High Frequency I would say 36.6 as well
    Funny old thing, but when I first saw one these that was my assumption - being a communications biased electronics engineer, but they are mechanical devices... just cant work out what flavour of mechanical device ;)

I think they run at 36.6k. Pretty sure I've seen the following in these - and the Matissonic version:

ETA 2832 and 2837, and possibly the 2838.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    I think they run at 36.6k. Pretty sure I've seen the following in these - and the Matissonic version:

ETA 2832 and 2837, and possibly the 2838.
    Arrived this morning, and it is in a lot better condition than the photos made out so am pleased with that!

The movement number isn't immediately apparent - think it is under the balance - so am currently non the wiser ;)

Anyone recognise this?

Looks like the 2832.

Looks like the 2832.
    Yes - does seem to be!

Looks good - that one blued screw is interesting - as is the fact that they adjusted it in five positions and chose a gilt movement. Wonder how it keeps time now...?

Several remarks have mentioned a 36.6 k frequency.
    That is incorrect.

A fast beating watch like this has 10 "ticks" per second, that is 60 x 10= 600 beats per minute.
    600 x 60 = 36.000 bph., not 36.600!

It isn't very hard to change the frequency, I've been told.
    It is a matter of changing the number of teeth on several wheels in the movement.

Keep in mind that many high frequency movement is more prone to wear due to the higher load on it.
    There are special lubricants to avoid oil being swept away by the high speed of the moving parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post

It isn't very hard to change the frequency, I've been told.
    It is a matter of changing the number of teeth on several wheels in the movement.
    Bit off topic, but as a word of warning: one of my watches spent half a year with a watchmaker who couldn't figure out why he couldn't regulate it properly. Almost drove him mad. The next watchmaker fixed it in a matter of days: turned out the movement had been 'repaired' using wheels from a different frequency movement...

Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    Bit off topic, but as a word of warning: one of my watches spent half a year with a watchmaker who couldn't figure out why he couldn't regulate it properly. Almost drove him mad. The next watchmaker fixed it in a matter of days: turned out the movement had been 'repaired' using wheels from a different frequency movement...
    My watchmaker experienced the same in the past and I've been told by him not to think, but to count, count, count if there is something strange going on with the frequency / regulation of a watch.

Looks good - that one blued screw is interesting - as is the fact that they adjusted it in five positions and chose a gilt movement. Wonder how it keeps time now...?
    There are other blued screws under the rotor - I assume they all should be but some have gone astray.

It isn't currently keeping time at all; the dial isn't securely fixed to the movement (possibly a dial foot screw is missing - might just be loose) so the hands are fouling on the dial markers. When I pushed the movement up from the back though the balance started swinging and the second hand advanced, which I take to be a good sign ;)

Several remarks have mentioned a 36.6 k frequency.
    That is incorrect.
    Yup - I do it all the time - not sure why ;)

My watchmaker experienced the same in the past and I've been told by him not to think, but to count, count, count if there is something strange going on with the frequency / regulation of a watch.
    That's a wise lesson I wish my watchguy learnt sooner. ;)

Just dropped Mathey-Tissot a line and asked if I can have a copy of its COSC certificate... hands up who thinks I will get anywhere!

;)

Re: What Movement..? Mathey Tissot.

No joy from Mathey Tissot - not because they didnt want to help, but because "all production record burned in fire" :eek:

Movement turns out to be a slightly unexpected ETA 2790... so 28,800 rather than 36,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    No joy from Mathey Tissot - not because they didnt want to help, but because "all production record burned in fire" :eek:

Movement turns out to be a slightly unexpected ETA 2790... so 28,800 rather than 36,000.
    Probably had some work done to it then, as I seem to recall that the 2790-1 was a 25 jewel movement.

Probably had some work done to it then, as I seem to recall that the 2790-1 was a 25 jewel movement.
    Seems to have been both 17 and 25 jewel movements, with the more elaborate ones being 17 as far as I can tell - not sure what to make of that!

Anyway, should be on the way back from WebWatchmaker Brendan fairly soon with only minimal work required on the movement; the winding stem wasn't correct and one of the screws floating around in the case did not belong to either the case or the movement - which would have alarmed me somewhat had I realised - but it is now running at +/- 3s a day at the last count so I am rather pleased with that ;)

Good stuff! Just seen that there's a similar movement for sale on C24, should you need spare parts in the future...

Good stuff! Just seen that there's a similar movement for sale on C24, should you need spare parts in the future...
    Oh - what / where is C24? I do like to have a spare movement for all my odder watches if possible ;)

Ha - just asked Brendan to check on his timegrapher what the actual beat rate of this movement is... and it turns out to be 36,000! Clearly the old girl has had work done ;)

Its back from Brendan - serviced, re-glazed, minor cosmetics done... and I am ever so pleased with it! Got to love an auto that spends near 2 days in the postal system but which is is right and running when you open the box ;)

Actually, purring might be a better description...

Just need to find a decent 19mm 70s type strap for it now ;)

Re: What Movement..? Mathey Tissot.

Sorry to keep banging on about this, but none of my friends or family care when I tell them I have a watch that has been running for nearly 6 days without gaining or losing a second - that is what watches do isn't it? - so you lot will just have to listen to me!

I seem to have really lucked out on this; 14 quid for something that quirky and accurate must make it my best ever watch purchase! Although it isn't really my style at all I can feel it growing on me because of it ;)

The accuracy also intrigues me - in part it must be down to ETA designing and building to the best of their ability, and then Mathey-Tissot (I assume) improving on that. I think it helps that the person I bought it off didn't think it had run for 20 years so maybe the hi-beat movement isn't anywhere near as worn as it could / should have been.

The other part of the accuracy equation can only be down to to Brendan and his skill at dissasembly, servicing, assembly and regulation - I count him as my other lucky find ;)

Grand Master
    Interesting thread, I`ve never worked on a high-beat movement like this. Special lubricant needed on the pallet stones if I remember correctly!

ETA movements do have a tendency to last, and respond well to servicing. I recently serviced an early 70s Roamer with an ETA 2630; tatch was running badly but just needed thoroughly cleaning. After stripping and rebuilding it was almost running to COSC spec, with a span of only 8 seconds between position. Only new part fitted was the mainspring at £10! On the wrist I got it running at 0 to +1/day, which surprised me. ETA movements are vastly under-rated IMO.

As for the 36000bph thing, I suspect the advantages outweigh the drawbacks because no-one (to my knowledge) builds them thesedays.

Just shows what can be bought cheaply thesedays if you take the trouble to look!

Paul

I think Seiko do a 36k movement... surely some others? Can't imagine they will be as cheap as this one though ;)