closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Woodburners (it's that time of year...)

Woodburners (it's that time of year...)

We need a 5kw woodburner for a largish room and to give background heat. We have an early 20th C chimney to attach it to and Im aware of the construction issues involved.

What Im not good at is choosing anything out of the immense range of models & options. There are thousands of the things - all the forums have a wide range of opinions and aren't, frankly, as much help as I'd hoped. (Bit like watch forums then...)

So, on that analogy, what I think I need is a Damasko DA36, a teutonic tool watch of a woodburner. Sadly, Damasko don't actually make woodburners, but if they did, what brand would it equate to?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Jotul.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I hear some people just burn patek boxes to keep warm through winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    what I think I need is a Damasko DA36, a teutonic tool watch of a woodburner.
    What you need is a Scan Andersen 4-5 convector model.

It just so happens I'm selling one :whistle:
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Been very happy with my stovax view 5. Works well, looks good, well built compared to the cheaper stuff, and doesn't look like it has been pulled out of a farmhouse cottage.

Master
    Clearview.

These are all v helpful, thanks.

One outlier Im considering is the Firenzo Hastings

It looks pricy, but then importing from NZ isn't going to be cheap. Any experiences?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Clearview.
    +1 the Clearview burners really are great. We had 4 where I used to live, as they slowly replaced the older burners. Conversely I also used to live next door to someone and we both had the same size woodturner. His was a super cheap one (£200ish from eBay), ours was a proper job (£1,300 IIRC). The difference was incredible. Ours was many times more efficient, produced more constant heat and even simple things like the glass needing almost no cleaning. We even burnt the same wood (I processed the neighbours wood because they were old).

So I would say to spend what you can because it does make a difference. Any will give out good heat, so it boils down to efficiency and what fuel you put in it.

Master
    These are all v helpful, thanks.

One outlier Im considering is the Firenzo Hastings

It looks pricy, but then importing from NZ isn't going to be cheap. Any experiences?
    You don't need to bring one half way round the world. Help the balance of payments, Clearview, and many others I suspect, are made in the UK.

Another vote for the Scan Anderson, which IIRC is a Jotul company. Nice, simple design and beautifully made. Brilliant air wash too - lovely little jets of flame above the fire....

Master
    The stove is important, but having a good installation is more so - there was a logburner installed in my French house when I moved in which was a nightmare to start. Once it got going it would practically burn the place down (not ideal for a wooden house), so I changed the stove for a coolwall design and had a proper flue installation without 90 degree bends. Pricey, but now usable.

Re stoves, I have three Stovax in the UK house, and a Westfire Uniq convection unit in France. Plus a selection of axes, splitting mauls & chainsaws ..... and a 15 tonne pile out the back of my house.

I've had a Charnwood c5 for the last year. Simple looks and works well.

Morso Squirrel. Lived on a boat for about ten years. It never let us down. Easy to keep in all night.
    Used one match to light it late August and stayed alight until about May. Used to burn wood and coal.

Master
    +1 for the Charnwood. Great looking, great quality and British built.

Ive got a Morso Panther, had it for 10 years, awesome burner with great build quality.

Getting it installed right / flue etc is important to get it performing at its best

Quote Originally Posted by hawkit View Post
    Ive got a Morso Panther, had it for 10 years, awesome burner with great build quality.

Getting it installed right / flue etc is important to get it performing at its best

I have Charnwood 4 really simple to use only one push in / out air vent , large viewing window and the door has a Wooden handle so no need for gloves or burnt fingers !!
    But agree with hawkit the installation and flue is the important part all about the draw ! our chimney internal flue was surrounded with vermiculite to help to keep the heat in the flue

Cheers

Wayne
    Last edited by arthurDALEY; 14th September 2017 at 21:09.

Blog Entries
    We've got a Jotul F500 in Brown majolica, side loading and front loading, huge capacity. Gives out tremendous heat and easy to light and use. You need a big room for it, surprising how much heat they give out, worth checking with a local supplier how big you need, you might be surprised.
    Ian

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by krusty View Post
    Morso Squirrel. Lived on a boat for about ten years. It never let us down. Easy to keep in all night.
    Used one match to light it late August and stayed alight until about May. Used to burn wood and coal.
    Semi Trad?

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    Semi Trad?
    No. 60ft Trad

Have a look Hunter Stoves. Good people to deal with. I have a Herald from the traditional range.

https://hunterstoves.co.uk/

Master
    We've got the dunsley Yorkshire stove very traditional looking had it around 3-4 years and can't fault it easy to light simple to clean and burns very efficiently it's a multi fuel model so I can use coal for longer burn times etc. We also have an aduro 9.1 which is ultra modern looking only burns wood but is easy to keep in over night etc with a massive viewing window to watch the flames. I would happily buy either again as others have said look at clearview too, personally I didn't like their sales staff and went dunsley instead with no regrets but your experience with clearview maybe different mine was shocking.

I've had a Contura 51l for the past three years and would thoroughly recommend it. Does exactly what I expect well, easy to clean, easy to use; perfect.

http://www.contura.eu/english/stoves...ron-stove-51l/

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    I've had a Contura 51l for the past three years and would thoroughly recommend it. Does exactly what I expect well, easy to clean, easy to use; perfect.

http://www.contura.eu/english/stoves...ron-stove-51l/
    That is a very nice looking stove

This is the Firenzo Hastings

About the same price.

Leaning towards the Kiwi...

Just had one of these installed, top quality!

http://www.rais.com/en/stoves/rais-viva-l-120-classic

We also had the q-tee2 in our last house which kept the biggest of lounges hot all through winter.

Master
    That is a very nice looking stove

This is the Firenzo Hastings

About the same price.

Leaning towards the Kiwi...
    Just had the contura installed yesterday, couldn't be happier - looks great & so easy to control

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Ours is a Nordpeis Bergen. Quality is great and we love the simple design with a big glass window. We find it easy to light and to control the flow/heat.

Craftsman
    I have a Vesta v8 from here.. https://www.vestastoves.co.uk

Made in uk and very pleased with it.

Master
    We have a Clearview 500 and I would heartily recommend them.

Apprentice
    Hi,

We are really pleased with our Thornton Dale by Town & Country Fires. British made, super controllable and lovely to look at too.

In fact we will be lighting ours very soon!

Matt

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Works to the chimney can be crazy-expensive, so avoid a situation where a stove installer can blame the flue installer etc. Get one supplier for the whole job, so there is no doubt where the buck stops.

As previously mentioned, you might end up with more heat than you expected, but you also need to consider whether you can really be arsed to cut up your fuel into tiny lengths.

I have had Morso stoves in our last two houses, and they worked well.

...and don't forget that you will need a dedicated 'stove beater' to wear while sweeping it out and loading the stove! Happy shopping for that.

Journeyman
    I've got a modern shaped Morso 6140 - got a blinding deal off Gumtree, un-used for £750 as the owner discovered it was incompatible with his current system after buying (retails £1500).

However, my renovation's stalled so it's been sitting in a corner (un-connected) for 18 months! I'd looked into getting it installed but can't seem to get hold of a Hetas guy to install in my area (tried a couple off Hetas website and no reply!). I'd used a non-Hetas installer in my last house and something wasn't right, used to get dizzy every time we turned it on (although smoke tests confirmed it was fine).

We went for a Chesney's Salisbury 5 as a replacement to an old gas fire and have been very pleased with it.

https://www.chesneys.co.uk/products/...sbury-5-series

We burn about a tonne of seasoned wood in the winter.

Blog Entries
    View for the sofa this evening.

upload html free

Had this Brossley 14 years now and it does the job although a bit agricultural.

Looked at several for the new oak frame room currently building and went for a Termatech TT20, very modern this time.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    We caved too!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

First fire of the year here too. Just about cold enough. Dog very happy.