closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Playing films on TV from my memory stick

Playing films on TV from my memory stick

My Samsung TV (LE37B550) has a USB port but will only play music and show photos. What's the cheapest way to get movies to play on my TV - I have a memory stick with many kids films on it. I have a blu ray player but that does not have a USB port.

I guess a blu ray upgrade may be the easiest option and if that's the case can anyone recommend a suitable one. If it can be bought in John Lewis then even better.

is there any other option? It seems a waste upgrading my perfectly usable Sony blu ray player!!

Any thoughts?

Pete

Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I have something like that and it will play anything.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Raspberry Pi and openelec.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Now this is interesting.

Being a dunce, could you just be clear for me: if I have a stick with...say...the 2nd season of Game of Thrones on it...will I be able to play it through a TV circa 2004 that doesn't have a USB socket with one of those things?

Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    Now this is interesting.

Being a dunce, could you just be clear for me: if I have a stick with...say...the 2nd season of Game of Thrones on it...will I be able to play it through a TV circa 2004 that doesn't have a USB socket with one of those things?
    You are going to need HDMI for most things nowadays.

Now this is interesting.

If you did have...say...the second season of Game of Thrones, I'd be interested in borrowing it. Hypothetically of course.

Now this is interesting.

If it has HDMI then HD, if not then over the AV connection, but it'll be lower res.

Create a folder on your USB stick and call it DCIM then put your movies in it, This fools TV or whatever it is a camera folder and will play the films,

Quote Originally Posted by fishman307 View Post
    Create a folder on your USB stick and call it DCIM then put your movies in it, This fools TV or whatever it is a camera folder and will play the films,
    If that works I'll eat a Christmas card.

Master
    Interesting stuff. Is there a simple way to get movies onto a usb drive in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    Interesting stuff. Is there a simple way to get movies onto a usb drive in the first place?
    Download 'Handbrake' , pop a DVD in your computer , open with Handbrake , convert to MP4 or whatever and then drag and drop the resulting file onto the stick. M
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Download 'Handbrake' , pop a DVD in your computer , open with Handbrake , convert to MP4 or whatever and then drag and drop the resulting file onto the stick. M
    Thanks Jase, I even think I understand the instructions :)

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    If that works I'll eat a Christmas card.
    I would use a drop of gravy on it LOL. Been doing it ages at first being very picky then found the samsung played most files doing it this way. Works for playing on Ipad with the camera cable attatched and usb stick plugged in, Though seem to remember they had to be certain file types MP4 ??? And titles show as a pic no.

USB stick needs to be in FAT32
    Last edited by fishman307; 11th December 2012 at 21:38.

Raspberry Pi and openelec.
    Good shout but you need to be a bit tech savvy.

I would use a drop of gravy on it LOL. Been doing it ages at first being very picky then found the samsung played most files doing it this way. Works for playing on Ipad with the camera cable attatched and usb stick plugged in, Though seem to remember they had to be certain file types MP4 ??? And titles show as a pic no.

I'm not rushing to get the gravy ready.

My guess is that these files are probably not MP4 and probably containerised in AVI or MKV.

It might work for a limited type of files (those which a camera may use) but for the stuff here I am considering my only Christmas card is safe.

My Samsung LCD plays some file formats with no issue - could be the file format?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I now have several SD cards and readers ( up to 32 gig ) all loaded with up to 30/35 full movies, All play perfectly on three Samsung TVs, and 2 Samsung blueray players , Plus a couple of cheap TVs with USB in, After playing about at first converting file types i realised that most play perfect as AVI, MP4, And on and on. I now even just change the file names ( usually img 123 ) etc, I have since renamed them to the movie title and they still play fine, There are loads of articles on net and it is VERY easy to try nothing to loose. In the avi and MP3 files will be seen as photos in the Ipad pictures just upload and then click on the file they will play on ipad Though ipad is a bit more fussy over file types.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
    My Samsung TV (LE37B550) has a USB port but will only play music and show photos. What's the cheapest way to get movies to play on my TV - I have a memory stick with many kids films on it. I have a blu ray player but that does not have a USB port.

I guess a blu ray upgrade may be the easiest option and if that's the case can anyone recommend a suitable one. If it can be bought in John Lewis then even better.

is there any other option? It seems a waste upgrading my perfectly usable Sony blu ray player!!

Any thoughts?

Pete
    Ive tried a few media players and Id recommend the Incredisonic, from Amazon for about £25 delivered.

So far it has played everything that I have thrown at it. The only issue is that it cant play BluRay ISO images properly, but theres no reason why it should. It will play ISO DVD images though, which really surprised me (hence my trying BD images too), displaying the fully working menu and playing everything in order. BD images will play, but the player plays the files in strict order, although this is easily resolved by using the same software which created the images to extract the movie stream, which itll play perfectly.

It plays SD/SDHC/MMC cards and pretty much anything on USB, with external drives up to 1TB tested so far. I havent come across a file format that it doesnt play and the 1080P output is smooth and without fault.

How much do you want to spend??
    For £60 you can get a Panasonic BlueRay player that has DNLA ie you can stream videos to it from a hard drive or PC through a home network.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DM...5348821&sr=1-1
    I have the 3D version which is a bit more expensive but it seems to have all the necessary codecs built in including mkv. You can also plug a USB stick into it and watch from that!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    How much do you want to spend??
    For £60 you can get a Panasonic BlueRay player that has DNLA ie you can stream videos to it from a hard drive or PC through a home network.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DM...5348821&sr=1-1
    I have the 3D version which is a bit more expensive but it seems to have all the necessary codecs built in including mkv. You can also plug a USB stick into it and watch from that!
    Blimey, I have that Panasonic and I did not realise you could do that!

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    If you did have...say...the second season of Game of Thrones, I'd be interested in borrowing it. Hypothetically of course.
    There's a guy who I know, sort of, who says he could get one these...if they existed...but of course they don't....so he can't. Probably.

Master
    Thanks Jase, I even think I understand the instructions :)
    OK, I've downloaded Handbrake and tried to open a dvd using it. I get a message saying the disk is protected so it won't allow me to select a source. Tried a couple different disks with the same issue.

What am I doing wrong?

For the record, I'm only trying to convert dvds I already own so I can transport them more easily.

OK, I've downloaded Handbrake and tried to open a dvd using it. I get a message saying the disk is protected so it won't allow me to select a source. Tried a couple different disks with the same issue.

What am I doing wrong?

For the record, I'm only trying to convert dvds I already own so I can transport them more easily.
    Ok, so when I do it, I have Handbrake open, put in a DVD, select the DVD from the drop down 'source' menu, select output (mp4) and handbrake will scan the disc , then hit 'run' and it does it's thing.... Try YouTube, I think there are tutorials... I have half a feeling you might need VLC player too?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Ok, so when I do it, I have Handbrake open, put in a DVD, select the DVD from the drop down 'source' menu, select output (mp4) and handbrake will scan the disc , then hit 'run' and it does it's thing.... Try YouTube, I think there are tutorials... I have half a feeling you might need VLC player too?
    That's what I did Jase, but it didn't like it. I've exhausted my techy muscles tonight but I'll have another go at the weekend. Quite keen to get this working!

Hmmm , is it the 64 bit version? It should have a 64 in the shortcut icon..
    EDIT..... You do need to also install VLC player...... There's a really good 'how to' tutorial on YouTube.
    Last edited by JasonM; 13th December 2012 at 23:12.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman

Tried recently on a Panasonic and it didnt really work. The source was 1080p and the television would only play in preview, losing sound and half the picture in full screen.

Banned
    I use a 2T hard drive to store most of our 2D \3D mkv movies these days, I also have a 64g PNY usb stick that I bought at Currys, both work on our Samsung d8000 without any issues.

Craftsman
    I suspect that using an eight letter file name with a .mov suffix will help.

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    I use a 2T hard drive to store most of our 2D \3D mkv movies these days, I also have a 64g PNY usb stick that I bought at Currys, both work on our Samsung d8000 without any issues.
    I'd expect it to as well in fact i'd expect it to do a lot more like take the dog for a walk.

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    You are going to need HDMI for most things nowadays.
    And don't go and buy an expensive one either a £1.20 one from amazon will do the job just as good.

Craftsman

just a note on the blueray option.....

...you have to be careful as all now carry cinavia copyright protection. This means that while DLNA streaming will work, you are limited by not being able to stream everything. If you need more info, google above term but I would highly recommend going a media streamer route to avoid issues.

Craftsman
    Cinavia has been defeated already, I believe (AnyDVD HD).

In the past I would have recommended a WDTV Live, but with the release of the raspberry pi there's only one winner.

Staggering use of technology for the price.