closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hurghada, how safe?

Hybrid View

Deleted
    Last edited by Analogue; 15th September 2017 at 03:56.

Blog Entries
    Egypt is a place I would love to see, sadly it is a place I would not want to be! The country is not the problem, it is the inhabitants! I was amused by the earlier comment about Russians kicking idle Egyptian arses, that definitely had a ring of logic and truth about it although the Russkies should be careful about the knives the locals tend to carry in the folds of their walking about kit! Would I rather holiday in a Egyptian resort or be branded on the arse with a glowing Texas iron? Mmmm, difficult one that! I guess the Egyptians are not over fussed that I will not be visiting and will be able to hide their disappointment.

p.s. Doubtless certain members will be 'offended' by my non PC comments about Egyptians, if you are so offended I apolo...... Zzzzzz!
    Last edited by KavKav; 17th August 2017 at 08:53.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Analogue View Post
    I assume you wear a "tool" watch when you are diving there?
    Don't wear a watch diving sunshine, I wear a dive computer.

Let's see some photos of your "tool" watches as you appear to be an expert.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    Don't wear a watch diving sunshine, I wear a dive computer.
    Two?

M.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Two?

M.
    Strangely enough yes, my main Suunto and an old Aladdin Pro Blue Nitrox as backup being risk averse.
    I am not too keen on having anything shiny in my kit including a watch for the sun to glint off of in tropical waters.

But these days my technical diving days are behind me, in reality I could dive without a computer or watch as I rarely go below 20 metres and I would run out of air long before the 45 min NDL.

I was in Hurghada around 14 years ago and stayed at the hotel where the stabbing took place.

Hurghada was shady as hell even back then with machine gun posts and armed guards everywhere for the protection of the tourists.
    I flew to Cairo and did the armed bus tour to see Cairo and the pyramids and a week after I left there was a grenade attack on a tourist bus.

The poverty levels are high.

I was in Sharm El Sheikh staying in the Savoy two weeks before the Russian plane was bombed and Soho square is just one big military complex with checkpoints, guards, machine guns. They are constantly patrolling the hotels and bars with sniffer dogs looking for bombs, and for good reason.

I won't be going back, and as much as a tour of the Nile would be amazing I wouldn't fancy having to be looking over my shoulder all of the time or wonder if our armed tour guide Mohammed is going to go Allah Snackbar with his H&K MP5.

It has great history and has some great people, but there is also plenty of people who seriously hate us and would be quite happy to beat us to death with a stick.

Although if I really wanted to go and it was on my bucket list and your spouse knew the risks and doesn't care then I would still go.

The chances are you will have a great time, meet great people and have no trouble whatsoever.

If it is your dream to see the Nile then just go, I would.

If it is a choice between there and somewhere else and you aren't bothered then i'd go somewhere else.

So to reiterate.. just go.