closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your ceiling price?

What is your ceiling price?

Ok folks, been pondering this after a few high end pieces have appeared on SC.

Do you have a ceiling in terms of what you are prepared to spend - whilst it is clearly circumstance/income dependant?

Mine sits currently at £7.5k - only had one close to this and I see little to make me 'jump the fence' currently.

What say you?
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 27th March 2017 at 23:07.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Probably 6k max and it'll be the only one i can afford for a good 2 to 3 years. Will stretch to retail on a BLNR if one pops up, although I doubt it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I would say that I had a 'ceiling price', but over the years it has gradually risen.
    When I bought my first Omega Seamaster, it was in the region of £500, which seemed like mental money for a watch. Earlier this year I bought a Rolex Daytona, which had to come via a grey dealer.
    My ceiling has most definitely risen

I see it more within the context of what it's worth and what I am prepared to pay. I will happily save up for a Patek which is higher than anything I currently own but I wouldn't pay out for some limited edition Omega for example because it's something I have little interest in.

7k max for me, probably a mental barrier more than anything.
    Hard to justify more with a young family.

Craftsman
    Currently about 2k - and still seeking a Railmaster

15K for one high end dress watch, although I'm not quite ready for that

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    It depends what's in front of me I'd guess. A boutique brand, maybe £1K. An established brand, I went to £6.9K for my SDc. Silly stuff and I went a little higher for my Comex. There's more to it than the purchase price. If I had the cash, I'd buy a full set LV tomorrow for £7K and not bat an eyelid as it's a pretty safe bet. However, I wouldn't dream of spending the same on a brand new Breitling Chronomat. It's all relative I suppose.

If my wife found out what my ceiling price was she would hit the roof.

Master
    Probably £7-£10k, although I'd probably sell a few watches if one piece in that range was coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    If my wife found out what my ceiling price was she would hit the roof.
    I suspect that many of us are in the same high risk position!

Mine gradually rose over time to about $10K. I'm retired now, have liquidated the bulk of my collection, and probably wouldn't spend more than $1,500 on a watch these days.

Craftsman
    Mines in the 7-9k range. But like a few others have said that would do for me and I would be a one watch guy.

My ceiling was £7k for a SD4K but that would have included a Speedmaster Profession as trade in so I wouldn't have felt the whole £7k.

Now I'm on a list (we'll see if I really am, hopefully the AD is good) for a SD43 and that's £8,350 which is freaking me out but I figure by the time I get it I'll have some more money or my ceiling will have risen.

Ceilings are reassured by the resale value should the worst happen in life and you need to liquidate. I wouldn't spend £8k on an Omega, Bremont or Breitling, I don't have the confidence for that. Tried and trusted brands only as far as resale/trade in value is concerned. Who knows, 5-7 years from now I could be trading in the SD43 for an Aquanaut.

Master
    It's hard to know before you spend it. I could probably get a PP nautilus, but I have no idea if I would enjoy wearing a finely finished ~$30,000. It's no fun to own a watch that you worry about constantly.

Mine was around 5K, but I 'plan' not to buy in 2017 as i am currently building the watch kitty up for a c30K purchase in early 2018.

£6750 that's my max ATM

The maximum I've spent on one watch was £4K and I probably wouldn't spend any more than that now.

Having said that, I'd possibly pay £5k for another 16600 and that skydweller is tempting at £10,600.

I've been to the £6-7k range twice before (233 & Day Date) and felt uncomfortable both times, particularly with having a family. It's more like £3-4k now and only if the collection is small. I suppose I think more in terms of collection value than single watch value.

Master
    c£5k but spent carefully! I suspect for most it's an indicator of a reasonable income and/or spare capital.

I would say that's risen c£1k pa of late however I'm certain it's not going much higher.

Master
    Like others above, mine has come down. It was around £5k, now it is rather closer to £2k, though there are only a couple of watches I am looking for anyway.

Looking back, when I think what I sold my GO, and some Zeniths for, including a platinum one - they would now be well outside my price range!

The most I've ever spent on a watch was £3k on a new LV, which I subsequently sold after 7 years daily wear - having never really bonded with it and always feeling a little conscious not to damage it. Now my ceiling is a self imposed £500. Regardless of financial circumstances I feel prices have got really silly. In my head the 'old' prices from when I started buying watches were already inflated, I'm thinking £1500 for a speedy, £1950 for a 16610, £1500 for a Panerai base model. Tbh I've always been more interested in watches than interested in amassing a collection - but recent price rises have lifted it away from a gadget obsession to a financial commitment akin to collecting cars, which is a shame imho

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    The maximum I've spent on one watch was £4K and I probably wouldn't spend any more than that now.

Having said that, I'd possibly pay £5k for another 16600 and that skydweller is tempting at £10,600.
    This. But I could go interest free credit on that SkyDweller. Of course it also depends on the outgoings at any time. I'm not spending £5k at one go or £100+ a month for 48 months if I have other priorities. But they've all become less affordable in recent years.

Master
    It'll be 5k second hand but something would need to be sold. So completely without other sales I'd say £1500

Mine has also come down to around £3K with a limit on watches 'held' after rising significantly over the years.

I have been feeling for quite some time that the value vs cost of watches that interest me has been accelerating significantly in the wrong direction. As this shows no signs of slowing down any time soon I took the decision to not try and keep up in case I am left holding the proverbial if and when the music stops. Becomes a bit silly after a while.

The fun is in the chase for me and that does not have to equate to an ever increasing sticker price. There is value out there still if you look beyond the usual suspects.

No real ceiling price, although most incomings now involve a trade or two. What I will never do is pay above retail for a watch, just see that as crazy.

I have one watch that cost £1.5k but that's a one off event - I like to stay sub £500 usually. Under £200 is ideal though as it keeps the whole exercise fun.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Tbh I've always been more interested in watches than interested in amassing a collection - but recent price rises have lifted it away from a gadget obsession to a financial commitment akin to collecting cars, which is a shame imho

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Agree with this 100%.

Craftsman
    £7k is as high as I have gone so far. I might go a little higher if the circumstances warranted it.

I just hope my wife never reads this post!!

Sent from my SM-N910F using TZ-UK mobile app

Great question, for quite a few years now I've had a self imposed ceiling of £4k, all of the watches bought have been under that, the most expensive watch I own I purchased just shy of that figure (£3995 from memory).

However, that isn't to say I wouldn't own a watch that cost more than £4k, using man match and selling/trading or part exchange some of the collection for one is something I'd consider, but I wouldn't want to any more than £4k in cost to change.

The most I have ever spent on a watch is £5k... but that was years ago on a Y/G Day-Date. I have paid about the same more recently on GS Spring Drives. I would be very reluctant to pay more than that for a new watch, but could easily pay substantially more for a high-end vintage watch as an investment and to enjoy.

My most expensive watch so far has been just £1420, this would put me in the 'pauper' group compared to lots of you guys . I have a mental ceiling of around £2500 currently, but you never know.

4k, and that's actually already too much.

Craftsman
    I think I should have started to buy watches 2 years ago as the last 2 I bought have gone up a lot in that time. My ceiling at the moment is £7000, but nearly bought I Kermit for £8250 last week until I found one for £6150 without box and papers, but with a 20 month Rolex guarantee.

Master
    It used to be £3.5k give or take, I had no problem with having more than one of those, but having more than that sitting on my wrist in one go felt over the top. Watches in that range seemed wearable without being too attention grabbing I guess. Since then a bit of consolidating has broken that barrier and it would be easy to carry on as if it's all just a number - simply a question of, 'would you prefer those two, or this better one'? But I'd still feel uncomfortable with five figures on the wrist or close to it, if someone asked the price I'd just be embarrassed to be honest! A definite change in the last few years though, as with house prices you just get used to the numbers and stop seeing them as insane.

I don't have one. If money is available and I really want something, then why not? What is the point of the ceiling price?
    It's just a matter of time...

Probably whatever the current cost of a DaytonaC is.

Master

What is your ceiling price?

I dropped the best part of £8k on a Daytona last year but sold at the start of 2017, because I felt I'd put too much cash into one watch. After that I half promised myself that 5k would be the limit, though I went slightly above it recently to get an LV. As a result my ceiling is now much lower...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I can just about justify RRP on a BLNR. I wouldn't go much above that.

Most I've spent is on my Breitling Cosmonaute - £2500 or so.

That was (and remains) my 'grail' (and has probably appreciated), so I reckon it was a good buy.

I could see me spending more than that if I saw something I REALLY wanted, but whilst I have bought a fair number of watches since then, I've never felt the NEED to own any watch the way I did with the Cosmonaute.

I'd certainly never spend the list price for most 'premium' watches, to be honest.

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 28th March 2017 at 10:58.

Journeyman
    It's more a case of a ceiling on potential losses for me rather than on purchase price.

Funds permitting I wouldn't impose a limit on purchasing something if I could realistically expect to get my money back on it in the future, so a list price 5711 would be fine but I wouldn't spend a similar amount on a Cellini.

Years ago I said £1k, then I bought a £2k Seiko, then £3k on a Rolex, now I'm very half-heartedly looking for a Chopard Chrono One for ~ £7k. I imagine if the right watch came up (not sure what that would be) I could spend more, but I really don't have anything like enough money to justify it.

Master
    Don't have a limit but have moved away from the dearer watches i.e above 5k and just kept the one which i will never sell.

Finding more enjoyment in watches under 1k but i must admit the new Skydweller at £10600 is tempting.

Master
    I wouldn't call it a ceiling price, but my "Happy Amount" has always been around £3000. However, there's not much that appeals within that sector any more, so I guess I'm never happy!!

Master
    £5K currently.....I would have stretched to £6900 for an SDc but with the price increase last year it's just too much to justify. Was offered a new SDc just before the price hike at £6100.....kicking myself.

Master
    Much higher than it was a year or two back. The problem with this hobby (for me at least) is that I feel I have experienced most of the lower end watches that I want to and now I have an itch for different ones and the only way is up cost wise. I like to buy smart if possible to avoid a huge loss, but I have no problem wearing and expensive piece day to day or having large sums tied up in those watches as I know I can get a large proprortion of the money back

Master
    I found it really, really hard to break the £5k mark, but thankfully a big discount before the price rise on a Yachtmaster has proved it wasn't total insanity. I'd like 1-2 more in the 5-10K range, and then finish with a RO - but if they go above £20k in the time before I can afford one I'm not sure I could still justify breaking that ceiling... unless I won the lottery of course!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubled_Joe View Post
    It's more a case of a ceiling on potential losses for me rather than on purchase price.
    this.

Just en route to London to do an £8k purchase.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Just en route to London to do an £8k purchase.

R
    I look forward to learning more!!