closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home refurb advice

Home refurb advice

I have found a house I like but I think it needs some reconfiguring, primarily to make it more open plan and put in a downstairs shower and toilet. I will also at some point need to convert the garage into a bedroom. Would anyone be able to let me know what it would approximately cost - or has someone done something like this?

Also would I need planning permission?

Thanks
    Last edited by samswatch; 17th January 2018 at 15:53.

Master
    Thats a very open ended question mate.

Totally depends on whether the walls are supporting walls for starters, then theres the size of the rooms and the standard you want them finished to.

Can't imagine you getting an estimation anywhere near accurate. You'd really need a contractor to view it.

Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    I have found a house I like but I think it needs some reconfiguring, primarily to make it more open plan and put in a downstairs shower and toilet. I will also at some point need to convert the garage into a bedroom. Would anyone be able to let me know what it would approximately cost - or has someone done something like this?

Also would I need planning permission?

Thanks

I've done plenty of minor and major house modifications, refurbs and extensions over the years (as a customer), and there is absolutely no way to give you any kind of idea about cost on the information you have posted.

It could literally be anywhere from 15k-150k depending on size, scope, materials, finish, FFE, the list is endless.

You'll need to get three decent local builders in to give comparitive quotes.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Thanks, I thought it would be difficult. I shall take a builder around

As others have said, could be anywhere in a long range and depending where you are in the country you'll find prices vary a lot. Round here I would expect a garage to bedroom conversion to be c8k-£14k, new bathroom with associated new walls and doors of c.£6-£12k, walls out can be £1.5k but could be lots more, plastering, electrics, flooring all follows.... could easily become £40k plus

For example I’ve just had a lot of work done on my house
    Rear single storey ext 9m x 4m cost me £25k just for the ext
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    As others have said, could be anywhere in a long range and depending where you are in the country you'll find prices vary a lot. Round here I would expect a garage to bedroom conversion to be c8k-£14k, new bathroom with associated new walls and doors of c.£6-£12k, walls out can be £1.5k but could be lots more, plastering, electrics, flooring all follows.... could easily become £40k plus

Thanks that’s a useful benchmark. I am taking a builder along and see how much it would roughly be.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Andy
    That sounds great value. Even for a shell 700sqm is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    That sounds great value. Even for a shell 700sqm is good!
    It was basically the shell all plastering plumbing and electrics were extra

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Andy
    That seems incredibly underpriced. I'd be more expecting out of the ground, a fully finished with 3 skylights and a set of bi-folds for between 35 and 40k and that's the poor North.

EDIT. I just re-read that which means you probably spent up to my figure complete ?
    Last edited by reggie747; 17th January 2018 at 22:23.

Master
    As others have said, prices will depend on complexity and spec.
    The only thing I can answer: you do not need planning permission for internal works in your house, and that includes converting an integral garage to a habitable room*. However, you will require 'building control approval' for the structural works (removing walls) and the drainage for the new toilet/shower and if the building is 'listed' you will need listed building consent.
    *This assumes that your house was not originally granted planning permission subject to a condition removing 'permitted development' rights. This can sometimes be the case where car parking provision is so limited that the conversion of the garage would result in the loss of a car parking space and be unacceptable.
    Last edited by TomGW; 17th January 2018 at 22:30.

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    As others have said, prices will depend on complexity and spec.
    The only thing I can answer: you do not need planning permission for internal works in your house, and that includes converting an integral garage to a habitable room*. However, you will require 'building control approval' for the structural works (removing walls) and the drainage for the new toilet/shower and if the building is 'listed' you will need listed building consent.
    *This assumes that your house was not originally granted planning permission subject to a condition removing 'permitted development' rights. This can sometimes be the case where car parking provision is so limited that the conversion of the garage would result in the loss of a car parking space and be unacceptable.
    Thanks may have to rethink this idea!! Conversion of the garage should not be an issue as their is off street parking already.

We converted our garage to a bedroom and shower room for 15k

Craftsman
    Doing a 65square metre loft conversion...60k

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

It could literally be anywhere from 15k-150k depending on size, scope, materials, finish, FFE, the list is endless.

You'll need to get three decent local builders in to give comparitive quotes.
    The exact same advice I'd give! Comparing the cost of works from one house to the next is never going to be the same, most jobs are a can of worms! Small alterations soon rack up big bills! It's all good fun !

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    That seems incredibly underpriced. I'd be more expecting out of the ground, a fully finished with 3 skylights and a set of bi-folds for between 35 and 40k and that's the poor North.

EDIT. I just re-read that which means you probably spent up to my figure complete ?
    Yes mate about 50k after everything with the kitchen n tiling and decorating.
    I’ve found out it’s all the extra bits after the main build is complete that eats all the cash up. It’s never ending
    Skirting boards. Paint. Decor. Carpets. Curtains. Blinds. Furniture. Been a learning curve for me.
    Very stressful for all concerned.
    My advice is get the budget and add £10k
    Andy

Master
    As others have said its difficult because of the variables.

I'm just finishing up a 144sqm self build project, currently at 110k & living in it 95% complete, should be all done below 120k.
    BUT... Its taken me 3yrs & I've done a silly amount of work myself.
    Last edited by paulpsz008; 18th January 2018 at 19:39.

Master
    You should have planning for the change of use on the garage, and building regulation approval for both projects,

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    You should have planning for the change of use on the garage, and building regulation approval for both projects,
    Not sure it's relevant for an attached garage, more an annexed one. However, a quick phone call to the local authority will determine requirements.

Master
    If it is any help, we are reconfiguring our ground floor completely, changing the lounge (which was a modern extension to our 1930's semi - 7m x 4m) to a kitchen/breakfast room, knocking together kitchen and dining rooms into one living area(load-bearing wall), running a corridor through the house front to back door, reducing the size of the old downstairs bathroom to that of a normal cloakroom, which has been unsympathetically turned into a giant downstairs loo previously (with kitchen units in!), putting a stud wall up to enclose utility room, closing 2 door openings and installing another, opening an old fireplace up for a wood burner and forming a coat cupboard. The house will then be floored completely in 65 square metres of engineered wood laid on top of ply (over old floorboards and concrete). The whole lot will be replastered and then decorated, including up the stairs to the landing.....

Oh.....moving 2 radiators and installing another one included too, plus new light fittings and associated electrics...

Total cost, without counting the kitchen units/fit and those of the engineered floor itself (but including the cost of laying it, including ply and glue), is £15k.