closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Watches you'd like if it weren't for one detail

Watches you'd like if it weren't for one detail

So often it seems a single detail can let down a watch design.

My case in point is a form forum favourite... The Tudor Black Bay and more specifically, it's crown. It just looks like an afterthought to me.

And to hopefully keep the wolves from my door I'll present something else... A Hamilton Railroad Small Seconds. Now, I actually think this is a lovely looking watch, but I cannot, for one second understand the choice of a white date wheel.

I know the Hamilton is a long way away from being the only watch with the poor choice of date wheel colour, but it feels like a particularly bad example where it's not used to help balance the dial.

So, what other watches are out there where a single detail (other than price and the brand name) let's them down?

Apprentice
    The Tudor you put a picture of up there was a watch I considered buying at one point but what ruined it for me was the hour hand. Can't get over the shape!. Ugly imo.

As far as having a white date window, I faced a similar issue with my Navitimer 01 LE. Loved the sapphire case back and white gold logo but was not a fan of the white date window. Although the standard edition Navitimer 01 has the black date window, I really wanted the sapphire case back in the 43mm size and white gold logo. Also, the fact it was limited was nice too. So it was a compromise for me in this case. Still love the damn watch and my favorite!.

Generally, a single detail has stopped me many times from getting a watch I otherwise liked.

Last edited by Odat; 12th January 2017 at 23:16.

Master
    I quite like some of the Ball watches, but the fussy tail on the second hand puts me off. Quite like some of the Christopher Ward designs, but don't like the logo.

Master
    The onion crowns on SOME Chronoswiss watches. They work well on the early 20th century inspired watches, but on watches like the Sirius Moonphase, inspired by the Patek PCs of the fifties, they just look out of place:

Don't get me wrong, I still want one. But the crown is out of place.

Master
    I was about to buy a Helson Sharkdiver, when I noticed that the date window is not centered between the markers.

I might still do it, but it's certainly bothering me

Craftsman
    The Grand Seiko snowflake has the most gorgeous dial ever, spoilt IMHO by the power reserve indicator.

Master
    Too many for me to list as I have an ever expanding list of things that can ruin any watch for me.

Top 3 are:
    Mercedes hands
    Onion crowns
    Making a feature of the day in any way (Cyclops, contrast colour etc)

Anything with exposed screw heads in the bezel. That upsets me particularly if they are all pointing in different directions

I'm going to nominate one of my favourite watches, the Sinn Arktis 203.

Why?

Because, on that glorious dial, they cheaped out and fitted a black date wheel. Really, would it have broken the bank to make a custom date wheel that matches the dial?

I might be alone, in this, but I think even black on white would have looked better...

Still one of my all time favourite watches, though, but this is the main niggle (the bezel catches on things too)....

I generally dislike Cyclops over the date, yellow or rose gold (I don't hate the latter, but I wouldn't buy a watch in it) and cutaway numerals (although the degree makes a difference).

I don't think there are any watches where I think "That'd look great if it didn't have X", because usually if there's something I don't like it puts me off completely...

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 10th January 2017 at 09:56.

Anything with a cyclops, the bulk of the Tudor range as I could not live with that snowflake hour hand and overly busy dials like the Brietling pictured earlier.

The bloated lugs on the current super cased Rolex sports watches stops me from owning one. They are so wide they actually make the bracelets look weedy and feminine. Once you notice it, it's impossible not to be reminded of it every time you look at it.

The Tudor Pegalos, needs to be a fraction bigger for my wrists, just wears too small. 44mm is usually to smallest I can get away with/feel comfortable with.

I have a couple of additions.

I am sure I would have a blue Pelagos by now if it was the right blue (it isn't, for me at least).
    I would have moved heaven and earth to get a GS SBGE001 if it was supplied without its power indicator.

D

Multiple dates showing instead of one
    Onion crowns
    Sub dials cutting through hour markers/numbers
    Black date wheels on lighter blue dials
    Power reserve indicators
    date indicators hands either as a sub dial or on the outer track, rather than a day indicator window
    Most things by Bamford ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

^^^ all of these!

Also, white gold surrounds on Rolex plots / markers :-(

Master
    Most modern chronographs that don't have a Lemania 5100 type centre minute chronograph hands but instead rely on outdated 30-minute accumulators.

The limited lume and reduced legibility of Rolex stick / Mercedes hands, compared to the MilSub or Omega SMP sword hands.

Cyclops on the Rolex GMT II

The Seiko SMCM023 quartz movement being highly accurate, and having a perpetual calendar but no quick-set hour hand - meaning that that great accuracy is lost as soon on the changeover between daylight saving and zone time, or when you travel.

The serif fonts on the Breguet XXI - especially the date wheel

Master
    Cyclops for me - i can not stand them, they are just plain ugly like a carbuncle on the watch face.

I know Zenith have always liked their 4:30 date windows, but I would find alot of them pretty hard to live with, case in point...

My eyes just get drawn to the date every time, and not in a good way.

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms - love everything about it apart from the date at 4:30 which is a show stopper on any watch for me.

There are an awful lot of amazing looking watches already on this thread!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Actually, most of Chris Ward's range if it wasn't for the logo.

Any of these will rule it out for me:

Case size over 36mm
    Roman numerals
    Asymetrical case
    Date window (or even worse - day window)
    Bezel incorporating number or indices
    Too much printing on the dial
    Power reserve indicator
    Integrated bracelet
    Automatic movement
    See through case back

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post

I quite like that actually! Each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by jchlu View Post
    Blancpain Fifty Fathoms - love everything about it apart from the date at 4:30 which is a show stopper on any watch for me.
    I no longer have an issue with date windows at 4:30.....for me (apart from the price), this could be a contender for my sole watch if it were not for the rear of the second hand being soooooo long!

And to be honest, I am glad I can find 'fault', may be some tiny irritating detail, which makes me reject the possibility of a watch buying experience. There are already far too many lovely/perfect watches out there!
    Last edited by Tim63; 10th January 2017 at 11:18.

Master
    Up to now I seem to agree with almost every carbuncle mentioned here! I thought it was just me.

Tudor Black Bay hour hand is a particular irritation, along with 4.30 date windows. Can I add that the round indices of Rolex Subs (and family), slavishly copied by numerous homages, now only reminds me of a blank and gawping stare. Oh yes and don't forget Mercedes hands or that dreadful hour hand on the Chris Ward Trident (shudder).

And when will Seiko and Citizen roll out sapphire crystals on mid-range watches? They can clearly do it and to offer it, at least as an option, might help justify the soaring costs of their £100+ watches.

I love lots of watches but the tiniest of details stops me from buying them all.. The price

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Roman Numerals!
    +1 I find Roman numerals over fussy and a genuine put off.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
    I quite like that actually! Each to their own.
    Indeed, it's nice to see a bit of effort put into it instead of the low-grade office-computer fonts that many seem content with.

Which brings to mind the one detail that really stinks up a watch for me... Arial. If a supposed watchmaker can't even be bothered to go with something other than a poor-quality Windows default typeface for their dial and case work, then the watch loses any appeal it may have had.

It's the face of cubicle drudgery, parking tickets and mundane unpleasantness in general — I'd really not prefer not to be reminded of those things whenever I look at my watch. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    +1 I find Roman numerals over fussy and a genuine put off.
    I must admit Roman numerals have put me off more than 1 watch.

M.

"Watches you'd like if it weren't for one detail" - not general design features you dislike...

Craftsman
    California dials for me. I just don't like to look at them.

For years a cyclops was a big issue too, although that's changed recently as worsening eyesight means I finally get the point of them!

Master
    Power reserves, and cyclops. doesn't matter what the watch is, they are a huge put-off.

The only things that really put me off, as already mentioned are serif fonts and roman numerals.

Other than that, I would much rather have a slimmer watch than one with a window case back, the Tudor North Flag as case and point. A problem I have found with a lot of watches that are generally too big, for my 'girly' wrists.....

Yet another one here for the cyclops non-love...the gunk that builds up around it doesn't help it's case either. Shame, as I loved everything else about my ExpII (could even deal with the slightly smaller case than I'm used to).

Master
    Fixed "Sports Diver" bezels! Why?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    Actually, most of Chris Ward's range if it wasn't for the logo.
    I agree with this. There's some very attractive watches but both new and old logos are awful.

Grand Master
    I owned a Rolex Datejust 116200 a few years back, lovely watch apart from the roulette datewheel which annoyed the hell out of me. Steel watch, blue dial, why spoil the look with a red date on white background every alternate day?

Any GMT watch doesn`t work for me; having a second hour hand simply clutters the dial.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nellyh View Post
    California dials for me. I just don't like to look at them.
    Me too. I very nearly bought a Geckota divers watch before Xmas but I really couldn't face the mad mixture of normal and roman numerals.

I love it, but it has too many lines of text on the dial. Without "chronometer" and "officially certified" it would have been way better.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I quite like some of the Ball watches, but the fussy tail on the second hand puts me off. Quite like some of the Christopher Ward designs, but don't like the logo.
    Completely agree on both of these! Puts me off both brands.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

One zero too many in the pricetag.

No seriously

6-9-12 dials, I prefer them without the 9

Same lume dots on all indices. I want a clear 12 o clock.

Not surprising to see so much anti-Cyclops-itism, as it seems to be a pretty common thing — at least at first. I went full circle from completely disliking it, to tolerating it, to finally strongly preferring it. So I'd be missing out on some great watches if I hadn't first given it a chance.

So regarding watches I'd like except for a single detail, the Sea-Dweller is the one. It's excellent in any version, but that boring little date window looks a bit stranded inboard without the magnification to make it fill out the space on the dial properly. While that doesn't entirely stop me from wearing mine, I can't help thinking that Rolex should have either done the date right or not done it at all.

Blog Entries
    I really like some of the Seiko/Grand Seiko spring drive models - the power reserve indicator spoils the look of many for me though. Remove that and many of them would be near perfect!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

So regarding watches I'd like except for a single detail, the Sea-Dweller is the one. It's excellent in any version, but that boring little date window looks a bit stranded inboard without the magnification to make it fill out the space on the dial properly. While that doesn't entirely stop me from wearing mine, I can't help thinking that Rolex should have either done the date right or not done it at all.
    Ha, that was one of the selling points for me :) must be a right PITA being a designer and having to work out who to please and who to displease when your boss is probably telling you they want everyone to like it.

Cathedral Hands

For me it's when a vintage style is mixed with a modern style, especially where cathedral hands are used and don't work with the rest of the watch. I'm not sure why Bremont persist with this.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    I really like some of the Seiko/Grand Seiko spring drive models - the power reserve indicator spoils the look of many for me though. Remove that and many of them would be near perfect!
    I totally agree. They have a version of the Spring Drive movement with the power reserve on the back. They should use that on all their Spring Drive models.

Banned
    The Seiko SARB017 Alpinist inner bezel and all compass bezels.

Tachymetre bezels, fuel flight calculators, 24 hour sub dials, retrograde dates, sub dials that eat the numerals, most other sub dials, tiny crowns, silly prices.

All of which have stopped me buying particular watches but I can't be bothered listing all the watches.

Quote Originally Posted by andamanen View Post

I love it, but it has too many lines of text on the dial. Without "chronometer" and "officially certified" it would have been way better.
    I couldn't agree more - also the words 'Rotor self-winding' annoy me. Just say Automatic or pretty much anything else! Which is a shame, because I really like the Pelagos (although still with reservations about the hour hand).

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Most modern chronographs that don't have a Lemania 5100 type centre minute chronograph hands but instead rely on outdated 30-minute accumulators.

The limited lume and reduced legibility of Rolex stick / Mercedes hands, compared to the MilSub or Omega SMP sword hands.

Cyclops on the Rolex GMT II

The Seiko SMCM023 quartz movement being highly accurate, and having a perpetual calendar but no quick-set hour hand - meaning that that great accuracy is lost as soon on the changeover between daylight saving and zone time, or when you travel.

That is so close to being a lovely watch, but it really is a mess of too many different fonts.