closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tea and Brits

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Not sure why people are getting so upset. I've made a light hearted jab at tea and now there's some real spite.

Tell you what, and this isn't a fit of pique due to this thread rather it's something I've been thinking of for a while but I'm offski from this site. It's become a nasty place with a rather right wing agenda in places. And before the expected 'don't close the door on the way out' comments from the usual suspects I'll leave you with my legacy which is raising over £3k for the fundraiser via the PSAs, the offering of cut price and hard to find watches to the forum and also lots of industry insider news.

You all have a great evening folks
    Too many gammon with chips on their shoulders. Just make more use of the Ignore List function.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Too many gammon with chips on their shoulders. Just make more use the the Ignore function.
    Gammon and chips? Seriously?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Guys. I'm confused. I'm half British but never really understood the attraction of British tea. I'm confused as to why people drink it so frequently, and in particular why they commit the aberration that is putting milk into it. Finally why does it seem to represent something calming when it has caffeine in it? Frequently you see on TV after a particularly stressful event someone say 'I'll make you a nice cup of tea'or something like that.

Would love it if someone could explain what the attraction is as frankly I find the concept a tad bizarre and almost embarrassing.
    I drink tea a lot and was in a stressful job where we would often have a cup a after an incident. It was calming, I do not know why but it was.
    As to caffeine. I have always been confused about that because if I drink a mug of coffee I feel its effects but never with tea, so that is odd to me.

We all find some thing bizarre so don't worry about it and there is no need to be embarrassed we are all different. The important thing is to be happy in what you do.

Kettle on!

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Just another light hearted jab innit.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    I run a City & Guild training centre teaching students car maintenance. I consider my work to be done if a student can make a decent cuppa before he leaves..........

Blog Entries
    I am italian (although have been here for 35 years) and take moka coffee in the morning, with milk and sweetener. Then a nice porridge scottish style (savoury). During the day usually leaf yorkshire tea, brewed 4 mins, and a shadow of milk. And find it more relaxing and enjoy a couple of cups a day.

When in Italy, usually like ice-cold lemon or peach tea is my default drink. Very refreshing, but coffee remains my morning drink. Usually with a croissant or other fresh viennaiserie.

I truly believe that coffee and tea complement each other, coffee is strong and gives you good start, tea is soothing and keeps you going with less haste.

I used to drink PG with milk and sugar

Then discovered loose leaf tea which is way more expensive than PG but still only 15-20p a cup. I take this with hot milk (heated on a stove, not steamed) and it is utterly delightful. Also love filter coffee which I have before or after my tea in the morning.

Assam with milk, Earl Grey, Jasmine or Green all ok with me. Although if eating gammon and chips I would stick with Assam with milk.

Coffee with milk - yes. Coffee without milk - yes.

Also sometimes take orange or apple juice with Museli, rather than milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I am italian (although have been here for 35 years) and take moka coffee in the morning, with milk and sweetener. Then a nice porridge scottish style (savoury). During the day usually leaf yorkshire tea, brewed 4 mins, and a shadow of milk. And find it more relaxing and enjoy a couple of cups a day.

When in Italy, usually like ice-cold lemon or peach tea is my default drink. Very refreshing, but coffee remains my morning drink. Usually with a croissant or other fresh viennaiserie.

I truly believe that coffee and tea complement each other, coffee is strong and gives you good start, tea is soothing and keeps you going with less haste.
    You are my new lifestyle guru*
    Thankyou.

*apart from the porridge. Terms and conditions apply.

Love tea!
    But always black and fairly weak by most standards
    Most British blends designed to have milk so more robust in flavour and not so nice black.
    Goat prefers something like a Darjeeling ....

Blog Entries
    You are my new lifestyle guru*
    Thankyou.

*apart from the porridge. Terms and conditions apply.
    :-) yes, got infected by savoury porridge when I was living in Edinburgh (eight years). Also love high-quality haggis with fresh veg on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Just another light hearted jab innit.
    chuckle, he's a funny fella, iirc he was in a London thread rhapsodising the benefits of multiculturalism whereas here he is apparently unable to apply the same open minded thoughtful tolerance to an acknowledged staple of British culture, bless must be confusing to be so inconsistent.

Anyhow nice cuppa of PG this morning, milk and a half spoon of honey and porridge with raspberries and walnuts, yum.

#blessedtohavesurvivedlivinginlondon

Not sure why people are getting so upset. I've made a light hearted jab at tea and now there's some real spite.

Tell you what, and this isn't a fit of pique due to this thread rather it's something I've been thinking of for a while but I'm offski from this site. It's become a nasty place with a rather right wing agenda in places. And before the expected 'don't close the door on the way out' comments from the usual suspects I'll leave you with my legacy which is raising over £3k for the fundraiser via the PSAs, the offering of cut price and hard to find watches to the forum and also lots of industry insider news.

I see no pique in the comments made to your post, but one might say using the term 'aberration' regarding the milk is provocative. It's British culture and needs no other explanation than that. Stewed tea with milk was what I grew up on. Mum rested the steel teapot on the edge of the kitchen grate. And I'm only half Brit.

Master
    My wife is Thai so we usually have noodles or curry for breakfast. Seriously:)
    My wife is also Thai. I eat porridge with a banana for breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Anyhow nice cuppa of PG this morning, milk and a half spoon of honey and porridge with raspberries and walnuts, yum.

You must have a large cup to get all that in. ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    You must have a large cup to get all that in. ;-)
    hehe somedays it runneth over.

Craftsman
    My wife is from Bradford. I eat porridge with Greek yogurt. 4 spoons of oats with hot water and two spoons of yogurt on top. Lovely! Followed by a cup of tea, of course. Never drank coffee, don't like the smell. Time to get a cup of tea before the rugby final starts.

Well I'm full ENGLISH (let's not get confused between English and British) and take my tea "Builders" which is dark orange with 1 sugar as opposed to a "Julie" which is white none.
    I take my coffee "Whoopi" (Black none).

And you are one of the good guys Ryan but don't prod the bear if you don't want to get bitten.

That's All Folks

Grand Master
    I’ve drunk tea all my life, I got a taste for it as a kid. Stopped having sugar in it as a teenager. Over the last 25 years I started drinking Earl Grey with a small splash of milk in it. Always start the day with two large pots of tea, one of the luxuries of retirement is having time for that second pot in a morning. Can’t see anything emabarassing about tea-drinking, some folks think Earl Grey is a bit odd, one of my former colleagues referred to it as ‘fairies tea’, but that never bothered me. During the day I prefer coffee, but for breakfast it has to be tea!

Soft water’s essential to make nice tea, and the water must be at the boil otherwise the tea doesn’t taste right.

I used to drink far more coffee than tea, but then figured all that caffeine wasn't good for me, so I tend to drink tea most of the day nowadays (My wife never drinks coffee and has weak black tea, so we often share a teabag!).

What's the appeal? Well, it's pretty refreshing - A coffee gets you up and going, but a tea always seems more thirst quenching to me.

I'm not sure foreigners see it as 'embarrassing' - We lived in Germany for a while and our landlady loved a cup of English tea when she came 'round and a Canadian colleague of mine who worked in Portland, Oregon used to hide a secret store of British Teabags as all her US colleagues used to help themselves!

More embarrassing as a Brit is the desire of many to drink bucket loads of cheap lager and shots and behave like a knob, which so many seem to do.

'Proper' Tea (for me) needs to be strong with a little milk in (I can drink it black, but it doesn't taste right then!), no sugar (but again, I made a conscious decision on that and I'll admit it took longer with tea than coffee!).

Everyone's preferences seem weird if you're not used to them. I mean, what's that awful stuff Americans pass off as chocolate??!??!

M
    Last edited by snowman; 30th September 2018 at 10:25.

I drink de-caff tea and de-caff coffee....................tastes the same to me! ( I mean they taste the same as NON de-caff! not the tea tastes like coffee!).

I have them both with milk, and no sugar.

My ex-wife was Thai, I can eat curry or noodles any time of the day!

Though saying that? Working stupid shift patterns also helps there!

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s simple really.

We have strong tea so milk can be added it is both more refreshing and actually cooling on a hot day.

Johnny Foreigner has weak tea as it’s not designed for milk.

Combine it with a bacon butty and we can conquer the world again.

I've never been a tea drinker, but i can't see that it's anything to get embarrassed about.

Guys. I'm confused. I'm half British but never really understood the attraction of British tea. I'm confused as to why people drink it so frequently, and in particular why they commit the aberration that is putting milk into it. Finally why does it seem to represent something calming when it has caffeine in it? Frequently you see on TV after a particularly stressful event someone say 'I'll make you a nice cup of tea'or something like that.

Would love it if someone could explain what the attraction is as frankly I find the concept a tad bizarre and almost embarrassing.
    How bizarre and embarrassing.

If you want tea obsession, go to Turkey - the biggest tea drinkers in the world. The people there cannot go 15 minutes without a cuppa. They mostly drink black tea - different from the English breakfast, and apparently the tea glasses they use enhance the drinking/flavour.

Frankly speaking, us Brits are amateurs compared to many other nations when it comes to tea drinking.

Gentlemen, gentlemen, as history has taught us well enough it is dangerous to argue over tea. We did that with the colonial and look where that ended up!(Tongue firmly in cheek)
    Ryan, even in the short time I have followed the forum it has been noted how, on many occasions, you have made genuine and thoughtful gestures to the members here. Please don't allow one silly thread to result in you feeling the need to leave.
    J

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    you guys are too posh for me...i just chuck a spoonful of black tea in my mug and away we go..never understood the milk and sugar bit...spoils it and pretty disgusting

A spoon would be easier.

Could end up with Egg on their face...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Little known facts about tea.

Tea is tea, as it all comes from an infusion made from an evergreen plant called Camellia Sinensis. What makes tea taste differently is the soil, climate, which bits of the plant is picked, how the leaves are prepared and even the water used for the infusion.

Tea was originally introduced to India by a Jesuit Priest, who stole plants from China after they refused to sell him any.

Indian Chai is actually brewed in milk rather than having it added later (it's also very sweet).

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Surely everybody knows the true story of how tea came to Britain?

....after many adventures, some involving warm beer...

...with the Romans defeated our heroes return home...

Hello

Black coffee, brown sugar on occasions.

Then there’s no hassle or need to start a war.

I keep hearing this gammon phrase, I’m guessing it’s a dig at the older generation and pertains to red faced / bodied white british who are keen on Brexit. But stand to be corrected.

See it a lot on Twitter / FB. Makes me annoyed a little in that usually the context it is being used is negative. As though those people are stupid and don’t know what they were voting for and are ignorant.

People in a democracy should be able to vote whichever way they want and for whoever they want to. Without being slagged off for it. I imagine the vast majority of the great unwashed have never voted for anything but are happy to scream and shout and cause trouble at those who have. Talking about Class War who take it to the extreme.

This is a great place to be (TZ) but it saddens me a little to hear comments about gammon and some of the other crap members spout. Especially when it’s over very minor things such as tea and coffee!

It’s just pointless, (probably like my post) but a member has found this saddening as well and said he’s going to leave which I also think is very sad. I hope he doesn’t and stays as he’s one of the people that make this place a great place to be.

Best regards to all,

Ben

Ps Tea is shit!

Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    I keep hearing this gammon phrase, I’m guessing it’s a dig at the older generation and pertains to red faced / bodied white british who are keen on Brexit. But stand to be corrected.

See it a lot on Twitter / FB. Makes me annoyed a little in that usually the context it is being used is negative. As though those people are stupid and don’t know what they were voting for and are ignorant.
    What's your view on the phrase 'libtards', 'remoaners', 'snowflakes', et al?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Hello

Not massively keen on those either.
    Brexiteers also sounds like it’s something gallant / noble / exciting. When it’s just a massive mess which nobody in power seems to want to work together to sort.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully we won't be chatting politics in the pub.

Hello

Coffee and watches.

Master

As another poster says "lighten up"

Have some cranberry juice and you'll be over it in a couple of days

B

Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    Black coffee, brown sugar on occasions.

Then there’s no hassle or need to start a war.

People in a democracy should be able to vote whichever way they want and for whoever they want to. Without being slagged off for it. I imagine the vast majority of the great unwashed have never voted for anything but are happy to scream and shout and cause trouble at those who have. Talking about Class War who take it to the extreme.

This is a great place to be (TZ) but it saddens me a little to hear comments about gammon and some of the other crap members spout. Especially when it’s over very minor things such as tea and coffee!

It’s just pointless, (probably like my post) but a member has found this saddening as well and said he’s going to leave which I also think is very sad. I hope he doesn’t and stays as he’s one of the people that make this place a great place to be.

Best regards to all,

Ben

Ps Tea is shit!

Here’s the urban dictionary definition of the word.

LINK

Hello

Ah many thanks.

So middle aged not OAP generation and interesting to see it’s also left wing types not just those who are a bit more to the right.

Craftsman
    I once met an American ww2 veteran who told me that in the breakout from Normandy his unit was supposed to join up with a British unit to continue an advance.
    The Americans waited at the designated time and place but no British troops in sight. They sent off scouts to locate them and there they were crouched down behind a nearby hill Brewing up - it was 17hrs - tea time.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Tea at 3.

Craftsman
    Yup tea at three.

High tea at 5

We best not get started over clotted cream or jam on first.
    J

Master
    I've found the Russians quite keen on tea ( excellent biscuits in Russia I have to say , really lovely shortbread type affairs with caramel).
    I'm more of a coffee man but a bacon sandwich (dry-cured) with black pudding , a sausage and maybe a tattie scone has to be accompanied with a mug of sweet , milky tea.

I've spent a lot of time in India ( I'm in the middle of a desert in Rajasthan at the moment) and never got used to the "cutting chai" but I will re-iterate an interesting (ish) story.

Once in Murmansk (yes I know I said India but bear with me) I was working outside in minus 13 with a bunch of Indians and Russian railway workers .
    We were doing daft things like riding up and down on flat metal railway cars with zero protection from the elements. Bare skin would stick and freeze to the cars instantly. The sun never fully sets so we had crazily long working days ( 14hrs plus).
    The Indian crew brought out some massive big pots, filled them with milk and bags of sugar and set them over wooden fire pits. When the milk started to thicken they started emptying entire boxes of teabags into it. After letting the tea boil for an hour they fished the teabags back out ( slotted spoons and none too clean fingers mainly). This produced something pretty much the same as the infamous "cutting chai" of India.

But it didn't end there.

They kept boiling it until it turned into a thick gloopy paste. This was spooned out into tea towels and balled up securely (about the size of a lawn bowling wood). A group of the attendants ( "spot boys" we call them) then ran around with these pungent parcels and if someone called out for tea they would run up , hand the willing victim a beautiful Russian tea glass , stick a teaspoon of the mixture in and follow it with some boiling water. Home made instant tea!

Unfortunately it was one of the worst things I've ever tasted combining the flavours of over-stewed tea , sickly sweetness putrid milk and unclean dish cloth all in one grim blast.

Master
    Blog Entries
    There was a formula for tea in the army when made in a tea urn,they used so many cans of carnation milk rather than milk.

Some remarks on range tea which a few of us know only to well.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/th...nge-tea.31320/
    Last edited by bwest76; 30th September 2018 at 17:12.

Craftsman
    I used to love range tea. Mmmmmm

Craftsman
    I mean just how it makes Brits look when viewed by foreigners. Kind of makes Brits look a bit pathetic with this dependency on tea and milk in a mug. Not exactly awe inspiring
    We are British, we don't give a **** what foreigners think.
    If you were half British you would know that.
    If you were half British you would enjoy a refreshing and calming cup of tea.