closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sales corner?

Journeyman

Sales corner?

I've been registered for 2 years or so, and made over 50 posts - where is sales corner located? Is access granted by admins or am I missing something? (I.e. is it in a sub-forum somewhere?) Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Give it time it will appear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Give it time it will appear

Haha thanks! Look forward to it.

24 posts in one hour late on a Friday night, you must have been feeling desperate? Hope you find what you were after...

You'll be able to see it, but you won't be able to post there until you have 250 posts under your belt. Good luck.
    Last edited by magirus; 18th May 2018 at 09:03. Reason: Typo
    F.T.F.A.

Might I suggest that being a little more involved for the past two years would have brought your hearts desires.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    24 posts in one hour late on a Friday night, you must have been feeling desperate? Hope you find what you were after...
    Or an insomniac, thanks for taking the time to comb through my posts and count them though, I'm flattered.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    You'll be able to see it, but you won't be able to post there until you have 180 posts under your belt. Good luck.
    Thanks, I have read the rules and not looking to sell.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Might I suggest that being a little more involved for the past two years would have brought your hearts desires.
    It's almost as if it's frowned upon for people to want to browse and buy watches from this forum, any mention of it from relative newbies is met with derision and condescension. I meet the criteria and you guys still give me a hard time - perhaps this welcoming attitude is the reason people watch from agar rather than getting involved? Too many keyboard warriors out today to let it slide though unfortunately!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think you can view it with 50 posts, and you can always PM the seller to buy something. If it doesn't show for you already I am sure it will soon as Eddie is on he ball.

mike

I wouldn't take it to heart OP ... water off a ducks back on here ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Doive88 View Post
    It's almost as if it's frowned upon for people to want to browse and buy watches from this forum, any mention of it from relative newbies is met with derision and condescension. I meet the criteria and you guys still give me a hard time - perhaps this welcoming attitude is the reason people watch from agar rather than getting involved? Too many keyboard warriors out today to let it slide though unfortunately!

I disagree. Sales Corner is protected and based a hell of a lot on trust. So the more people are active and the more people see of your posting the more likely people are to deal with you. And there are 100s of threads on here asking the same question I’ve met the post target why isn’t it here straight away.

The rules are there to allow the membership to get an idea of the person they’re dealing with. Whilst you do now qualify in terms of time and post counts, lying dormant for two years and then posting 50% of the retirement in one hour doesn’t help your cause.

Sure, you can look at SC but as you haven’t interacted with the forum and therefore are an unknown quantity, it’s unlikely that anyone will want to deal with you.

Keep on to your 250 posts in a similar vein and it’s unlikely anyone will buy from you either.

It is the way it is; this is a discussion forum with a sales section for members, not a sales platform with a chat room.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    I think you can view it with 50 posts, and you can always PM the seller to buy something. If it doesn't show for you already I am sure it will soon as Eddie is on he ball.

mike
    Thanks (and thanks to Eddie for swift addition). I'd just thought I was missing something as it hadn't been added and wondered whether it was had to manually be applied.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I think it is manual, that way Eddie can kind of vet who gets access.

Master

Well... I've sold a watch to an established member here (Dougair, how are you mate?) once without taking payment first (6.5k if I recall correctly), same with another one (3k+ I think, Yeti, you ok mate?), and I was given one without the payment being cleared in full (13k from the long gone burnsey). In order to enjoy and benefit from this high levels of trust, noobs do need to go through a high(ish) level of scrutiny and SC must be somewhat protected. If you love watches, you'll get involved and the community will embrace you. Simple really.

Or an insomniac, thanks for taking the time to comb through my posts and count them though, I'm flattered.
    If you're feeling flattered, think of the warm glow the forum is feeling in its heart that you rattled off 24 quick fire bits of fluff merely to game the system

As the counting, you'll be relieved to hear that murmuring my way from 1 to 24 when looking at a list of posts cost me little in the way of time or effort, scarcely any more than you put into creating them.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    cost me little in the way of time or effort, scarcely any more than you put into creating them.
    ... Ouch!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    Well... I've sold a watch to an established member here (Dougair, how are you mate?) once without taking payment first (6.5k if I recall correctly), same with another one (3k+ I think, Yeti, you ok mate?), and I was given one without the payment being cleared in full (13k from the long gone burnsey). In order to enjoy and benefit from this high levels of trust, noobs do need to go through a high(ish) level of scrutiny and SC must be somewhat protected. If you love watches, you'll get involved and the community will embrace you. Simple really.
    Makes sense, and I wouldn't expect someone to send me a watch without payment first unless they knew I was reputable. My retort was that I'd complied with the rules and still getting stick off some.

Makes sense, and I wouldn't expect someone to send me a watch without payment first unless they knew I was reputable. My retort was that I'd complied with the rules and still getting stick off some.

You might have met the basic forum criteria to gain access to SC, but it's a community, not a shop window. Just get involved, contribute to threads, and try to get along.

At the moment you sound antagonistic and whiny, which won't make anyone want to deal with you. Good luck

You may have complied with the letter of the rules, but not the spirit.

This is a discussion Forum which happens to have a facility for members to buy and sell between themselves. It is not a fee-free alternative to eBay.

Your behaviour has not enamoured you to the members of the Forum, and has been noted in other parts of the Forum to which you do not have access.
    Anybody who "games" the rules and posts a load of rubbish to increase their post count and gain access to Sales Corner does their reputation lasting and irreparable damage.

Good luck.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    You may have complied with the letter of the rules, but not the spirit.

This is a discussion Forum which happens to have a facility for members to buy and sell between themselves. It is not a fee-free alternative to eBay.

Your behaviour has not enamoured you to the members of the Forum, and has been noted in other parts of the Forum to which you do not have access.
    Anybody who "games" the rules and posts a load of rubbish to increase their post count and gain access to Sales Corner does their reputation lasting and irreparable damage.

Good luck.
    Cool, I'll bow out of the forum then. If defending myself from jibes from individuals is seen as antagonistic (may need to revise the dictionary definition, there), and my contribution thus far not deemed worthy of the standards expected from this forum - to the point where my posts are being scrutinised behind doors which have been closed to me - then I don't think this is the kind of community I'd want to be a part of!

Have a smashing life all.

Blog Entries
    Another one to add to ‘the list’. Seems to happen more frequently these days.

Journeyman
    Cool, I'll bow out of the forum then. If defending myself from jibes from individuals is seen as antagonistic (may need to revise the dictionary definition, there), and my contribution thus far not deemed worthy of the standards expected from this forum - to the point where my posts are being scrutinised behind doors which have been closed to me - then I don't think this is the kind of community I'd want to be a part of!

I mean, may seem a little reactionary but is that a fair assessment? Doesn't feel like a welcoming collaborative community to me if new members' posts are being dissected to that degree behind their backs.

I'm not trying to game the system, I don't believe my posts yesterday and hitherto in general have been below the standards of others on here and hope that they've added to the discussion in the spirit of friendship, but there we go, which aside from this thread they appear to have done. Thanks to all with whom I've had engaging discussions with.

You shot yourself in one foot by speed-posting in order to gain access to Sales Corner. Don't try to dignify your posts as "engaging with the Forum". You've had plenty of time for that.

You shot yourself in the other foot by whinging and trying to justify your actions.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Journeyman
    I mean, may seem a little reactionary but is that a fair assessment? Doesn't feel like a welcoming collaborative community to me if new members' posts are being dissected to that degree behind their backs.

I'm not trying to game the system, I don't believe my posts yesterday and hitherto in general have been below the standards of others on here and hope that they've added to the discussion in the spirit of friendship, but there we go, which aside from this thread they appear to have done. Thanks to all with whom I've had engaging discussions with.

[sticks head above parapet]

I think you have a fair point. My experience has been somewhat similar in that a few talk like it is a secret school boy society and trust goes both ways. I found it condescending and Golum-like and I can’t see myself trading on this site on that basis.

Further, irrespective of posting rate, several Traders operate on the site.....so what is that all about.

however “it is what it is” so let’s move on.

[sticks head below parapet awaiting return fire]

Seems like a good idea, especially if trust and camaraderie are not your thing.
    Bye

Definition
    goowill and light hearted rapport between or among friends; comradeship.

Quote Originally Posted by Guycord View Post

I think you have a fair point. My experience has been somewhat similar in that a few talk like it is a secret school boy society and trust goes both ways. I found it condescending and Golum-like and I can’t see myself trading on this site on that basis.

Further, irrespective of posting rate, several Traders operate on the site.....so what is that all about.

Not wishing to have a shot at you but no one cares whether you (or anyone else) trade on this site or not; it’s a discussion site with a trading facility!

But you are quite correct, there are a number of traders on here; some open and honest, others not so. To quote Bananrama and The Specials “It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it!”

If you think people speed posting get a flaming in the parts of the forum to which you don’t have access, it’s nothing compared to the scammers, underhand dealers or fake lovers who are discovered within our midst!

Ta ta!

Craftsman

He has made a fair point , it’s like watching a pack of schoolyard bullies picking on the new boy at times.

He probably would have been as disappointed as I was with the sales corner , I was expecting it to be only watch related , only to find there is all sorts of tat being offered for sale.

The fact someone has posted say 10,000 posts and has been a member for years would not sway any decision I had about selling something but I don’t set the rules , but it doesn’t mean I and others have to agree with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    He probably would have been as disappointed as I was with the sales corner , I was expecting it to be only watch related , only to find there is all sorts of tat being offered for sale.
    Q1. If there are 10 adverts offering 1 watch each, and then 10 adverts for sundry tat are added, how many watches are for sale? (1 mark)

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    I don’t set the rules , but it doesn’t mean I and others have to agree with them.
    It doesn’t matter whether you, I or anyone else agrees with the rules; there is only one man who sets them and he gives us a choice: abide by his rules or go elsewhere. It’s quite simple really.

No one is asking any of us to stay, whether we have one post or 100,000!

(I don’t know what happens after 100,001 though!)

'Gollum like'
    I think I know who you mean.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It doesn’t matter whether you, I or anyone else agrees with the rules; there is only one man who sets them and he gives us a choice: abide by his rules or go elsewhere. It’s quite simple really.
    Maybe so....but that does not excuse some of those who behave the way they do with some SC-Access-Denied "were a community bunch who turn our noses up at thou" comments.

A polite cut/paste of the rules back to the Newbie is all that is really required to help New-comers and encourage them to join-in instead of being immediately isolated only because they were curious to see why they could not access SC immediately on registration.

Now that would be community!

Journeyman
    Maybe so....but that does not excuse some of those who behave the way they do with some SC-Access-Denied "were a community bunch who turn our noses up at thou" comments.

A polite cut/paste of the rules back to the Newbie is all that is really required to help New-comers and encourage them to join-in instead of being immediately isolated only because they were curious to see why they could not access SC immediately on registration.

This.

Perhaps a guideline as to level of detail required in order to make a post satisfactory - though voluminous, my posts were made in the interest of contributing (as you'll see if you actually read them) and better than half the dross that's banded around the forum (prime examples in this thread).

Tongue in cheek, but a bit of feedback from a newbie who's been put off by the level of snobbery here. If you want it to be a members-only, outsiders-not'welcome community then don't allow others to join in the first place, or to post unless they've been viewing the forum for a number of years.

I assume that level of insulation is not the objective of many on this forum?

And after the umpteenth time of cutting and pasting the rules (which the newbie really should have read beforehand rather than relying on someone else to point them out), it becomes an annoyance.

Perhaps we could all be a little more patient when these questions are asked yet again leading to complaints of discrimination against newbies, patience wears thin.

It is, after all, a discussion forum; the fascination with seeing what’s available on SC is generally a fairly good indication of how things are going to pan out with the new member!

I thought you'd leave, some window-shopping on your way out then?

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I thought you'd leave, some window-shopping on your way out then?

And exemplifies what I and others have said about the attitude on here. I wouldn't have dignified it with a response, but the irony and hypocrisy in that post really is a wonder to behold!

* posts *

One more step on the road to being a Grand Master!

And exemplifies what I and others have said about the attitude on here. I wouldn't have dignified it with a response, but the irony and hypocrisy in that post really is a wonder to behold!

I'm not as smart as you, can you tell me what irony and hypocrisy he's displayed in that post?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    * posts *

One more step on the road to being a Grand Master!
    Just trying to get to my 250 so I can sell the watch I've been trying to sell this whole time.

My 2 year plan to skirt around the rules about to pay off...hope it doesn't expose me for what I've been this whole time. Really worried about what others will say behind my back!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It is, after all, a discussion forum; the fascination with seeing what’s available on SC is generally a fairly good indication of how things are going to pan out with the new member!
    I don't fully agree with this. There is nothing wrong with wanting to see what's on the sales forum and is not an indication of a derogatory trait in someone's personality.

However, firing off short posts to get there is not going to help you integrate well into a close-knit community.

Would you be a 30yr Dave from Birmingham by any chance Mr Doive?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    Would you be a 30yr Dave from Birmingham by any chance Mr Doive?
    Yes I am and I would rather you not share my personal information on this board. Are you trying to intimidate me?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I'm not as smart as you, can you tell me what irony and hypocrisy he's displayed in that post?
    For starters, claims that my posts were fired off quickly without any real contribution to the discussion - I'd argue that the screenshot embodies both of those.

Also claims of my doing the same in order to portray a degree of sensitivity to the overall spirit of the board - meaningful discussions with like-minded individuals - though having an ulterior motive. Again, I think both? I could be wrong but branding someone as a journeyman because they posted a few more times than usual in 24 hours (and a good 15 hours after it occurred) seems more like bullying than an attempt to promote friendly conversation and protect a community from bad people who want seemingly to buy watches?

Just trying to get to my 250 so I can sell the watch I've been trying to sell this whole time.

My 2 year plan to skirt around the rules about to pay off...hope it doesn't expose me for what I've been this whole time. Really worried about what others will say behind my back!

You know something, I was mentioned in the thread too. I posted a bit, then stopped, then posted again a couple of years later. I didn't even fire off 24 posts in about half an hour, it was just a few posts a day but people do spot such things as a long-gone newbie who qualifies for access on the age of their account but needs to up their post count. While posting in itself is most definitely not frowned upon, it does raise the suspicions of the community when someone seemingly posts solely to gain access to the part of the forum in which we swap large sums of money and expensive watches... and also small sums of money and old shoes.

To be honest, all you've really had in this thread is a gentle ribbing, a poor attitude in retaliation is really what does the damage. I'd suggest you take the "water off a duck's back" approach to this and join in the community.

Yes I am and I would rather you not share my personal information on this board. Are you trying to intimidate me?
    No - that happens when you reach 250-posts and gain access the bear pit.

branding someone as a journeyman seems more like bullying
    Yeah, that's not what has happened...

Nooooo I'm not trying to intimidate you at all, please don't go all paranoid on me, I like to try and make friends with peeps on here.... I made friends with a guy called Burnsey and soon after we met he disappeared on me and the forum and I was well upset and everything..