closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dipstick biker

Master

Dipstick biker

I'm a biker so this is not a poke at bikers who are sensible riders.
    Thanks to purchasing Wayne's dashcams last week I installed one in one of the cars and this was being used over the weekend to go and look at some Kawasaki ER6Fs. On a trip from Chorley(Lancs) to Bollington(Cheshire) the camera caught this prick. No gloves, trainers, casual jacket and jeans.
    This prick is a death waiting to happen!
    If you consider that strictly speaking I should have been more over to the crown of the road to have a better view of the limit point he is lucky I wasn't, as it was with his lean he was inches away.
    If he had caught the door mirror or banged his head on the A pillar he would probably have been dead or pretty mangled. Coincidentally the bike seems to be an ER6N.
    If you look at the speed we are doing 43kph and the distance we cover you can get an inckling of the speed he is going by the distance he covers comparatively.

Last edited by K300; 15th May 2018 at 02:16.

Looks like a Cypriot but without a helmet plus shorts and t shirt

I seem to see stupid out there so often that it does make me wonder if I'm the odd one sometimes!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    On the M6 last week I had a biker overtake me at roughly 75mph, when he went past I had a glance at him and had to do a double take - dressed similar to the fella on your dashcam but this clown was texting!
    Certainly not long for this world

Master

Dipstick biker

No one died, he can wear what he likes as long as he’s got a fastened helmet. You want to drive an artic in London and then you’ll see hoards of idiots that want to die.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

All you can do is let Darwinism take its course and just hope he doesn't take anybody else down with him.

We had a driving holiday last summer and covered 2500 miles across England and Scotland. The only terrible and / or dangerous driving we saw was bikers. I’m not having a go at all bikers obviously but some genuinely seem to have a death wish.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Seems to be holding a line.

as long as they only kill/injure themselves it’s not a problem, its the potential to change the lives of other road users though their ignorance/risk taking that just doesn't register in their (admittedly small) brains.

i feel sorry for the bikers who aren’t cocks being dragged down by the significant proportion who are.

Dipstick biker

Deleted. Misread previous post.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Whilst his wheels are on his side of the road, is less clear that his head is. A Bikesafe course would have him position himself well to his left in order to improve his line of sight as well as ensure he's clear of traffic travelling in the opposite direction.

As has been said, he's on his side of the road and appears to be holding a steady line, although ideally he would have been nearer his edge of the road...and he didn't hit you!
    Consider that he might normally position himself on a 'better/safer' line around bends but happened to take a tighter line on this occasion.

As for the attire, he was legal. Okay, he really should be wearing gloves but much biking clothing is now designed to look casual and so unless you could read the labels I suggest you don't know whether his jacket (or 'trainers') was designed for biking or whether he was wearing armour under it.

Making a snap judgement based on one non-incident suggests, to me, that it might be a little harsh to call him a "dipstick biker".

Master
    What about those wee lads scooting around in track suits with their helmet perched on top of their head?!

Are blacked out visors legal?

Quote Originally Posted by EchoSevenNine View Post
    What about those wee lads scooting around in track suits with their helmet perched on top of their head?!
    Well they’re a bunch of idiots but that’s not what’s being discussed here.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Well they’re a bunch of idiots but that’s not what’s being discussed here.
    We're discussing 2 wheeled safety practices and what bikers are wearing, or not, as the case may be.

I dont really see how my comment was irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyboy View Post
    The United Nations Economic Commission for Europe technical prescriptions agreement allows visors between 50% and 80% luminous transmittance for "Daytime Use Only", if they are so marked. So yes, that visor may be legal.

Looks fine to me. Whilst I wear protective gear most of the time, I don't always, and it's my choice. I can't see that any part of the rider was over the white line; perhaps you drive a long way from your curb and your mirrors are close to the opposite carriageway?

I don't see too many drivers wearing helmets or other protective clothing very often either.

Anyway, if I want to ride in shorts and t-shirt and trainers I will do.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    A very good friend of mine was in a wheelchair for 2 years, after falling off a 125 at less than 30mph. After seeing what he went through there's no way on earth i'd ride without my gear on.

Would be nice on warm summer day and all but i just dont think it's worth the risk.

We're discussing 2 wheeled safety practices and what bikers are wearing, or not, as the case may be.

I dont really see how my comment was irrelevant?
    I thought we were discussing this one particular incident rather than motorcycle safety as a whole.

Either way, I don’t disagree with you.

FWIW, the greatest danger I see for the rider was if the OP hadn’t stayed on his line and straightened up. Then there could have been a problem.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyboy View Post
    Tinted yes, blacked out No.
    Last edited by Steve27752; 15th May 2018 at 16:18.

Master
    I thought we were discussing this one particular incident rather than motorcycle safety as a whole.

Either way, I don’t disagree with you.

FWIW, the greatest danger I see for the rider was if the OP hadn’t stayed on his line and straightened up. Then there could have been a problem.
    Agreed.

Even if that guys knee had clipped the car and he managed to stay on, his knee would have no doubt been shattered. No leathers on the planet would help with that either.

Agreed.

Even if that guys knee had clipped the car and he managed to stay on, his knee would have no doubt been shattered. No leathers on the planet would help with that either.
    There are excellent quality knee protectors available which would be up to the job. They’re only really used off-road though. I always used knee protectors elbow protectors and body armour under my leathers when doing track days though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    I seem to see stupid out there so often that it does make me wonder if I'm the odd one sometimes!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    I say leave em to it.... great supply of organs that someone else could make use of...

Master
    From my point of view he was riding in a dangerous way for himself and other road users.
    Too fast to react to anything at all, too close to the crown of the road, bare minimum legal protection if anything should go wrong.
    I should say that behind my position was a sharp left hander for the dipstick. He's probably local and knows the road quite well, but if something was not as he expects it he would be dead. For instance if there was a vehicle behind me that was a slightly wide load, he left himself no room for manouvre and at the speed he was doing no time to react anyway. If a sheep had wandered into the road for instance or a child had been crossing. The old rule, always be able to stop within the distance you can see to be clear. He had no chance.
    With regard to his road position from the shadow you can just make out that his head was over the white line(it was 1:15pm).
    Last edited by K300; 16th May 2018 at 02:41.

There are excellent quality knee protectors available which would be up to the job. They’re only really used off-road though. I always used knee protectors elbow protectors and body armour under my leathers when doing track days though.
    I have them for under my bike jeans, but I think it’s safe to say that a rider who doesn’t wear gloves - won’t have gone to the trouble of wearing knee armour.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I have them for under my bike jeans, but I think it’s safe to say that a rider who doesn’t wear gloves - won’t have gone to the trouble of wearing knee armour.
    Very true. I was going slightly off topic!

Master
    Hopefully he was speeding and wearing a devil suit underneath, he’s obviously been doing some hideous crime and stealing babys. If there is a tight left behind you he’s in the best place for it.

These dashcams only seem to be good for venting some righteous indignation on the interwebz. That and a convenient petard by which the plod may hoist you.

It makes me cringe when you see bikers on the motorway in just a vest and shorts, road rash that bad and there is no where left to donor a skin graft from.

Master
    If there is a tight left behind you he’s in the best place for it.
    Only if something else isn't cutting the corner or some other hazard isn't in place like horse manure, you've kinda missed the point that he has left himself no time to react due to his excessive speed for the bends. On a track that speed would be OK but not on a public road where anything can and does happen. If you ride like that then good luck, just don't kill anybody else.

I don't even see that he's going all that fast. He seems to be going roughly the same speed as you. He's not, well, the bike certainly isn't, keeled over too much, but I suppose he does have his bodyweight shifted a fair bit.

Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    From my point of view he was riding in a dangerous way for himself and other road users.
    Too fast to react to anything at all, too close to the crown of the road, bare minimum legal protection if anything should go wrong.

Being a "Biker" yourself you should know there is no legal minimum protection required, people can wear what they want.... I ride in summer wearing jeans and a shirt, even shorts if it's hot enough.
    I've been wearing similar clothing for more than 40 years riding a motorcycle, even when touring abroad.

The french police wear short sleeved shirts in the south of France and don't have a problem.

I should say that behind my position was a sharp left hander for the dipstick. He's probably local and knows the road quite well, but if something was not as he expects it he would be dead. For instance if there was a vehicle behind me that was a slightly wide load, he left himself no room for manouvre and at the speed he was doing no time to react anyway. If a sheep had wandered into the road for instance or a child had been crossing. The old rule, always be able to stop within the distance you can see to be clear. He had no chance.
    With regard to his road position from the shadow you can just make out that his head was over the white line(it was 1:15pm).
    I really can't see that his helmet is anywhere near over the white line in any of those pics.

Anyway. It matters not. I'm about to see the best and worst of riding standards at the end of this month and the beginning of the next!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    These dashcams only seem to be good for venting some righteous indignation on the interwebz. That and a convenient petard by which the plod may hoist you.
    I used mine to provide evidence of a fence falling against my car at Donington Park. Car was parked up and a fence blew over damaging the rear bumper and boot lid.

Video sent to Donington, insurance payout in less than 1 week...

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    No one died, he can wear what he likes as long as he’s got a fastened helmet.

^This^, each to their own, not something I would be doing, he can't be that mad or he would have worn shorts, maybe he learned that lesson when a wasp ended up round his wedding tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I used mine to provide evidence of a fence falling against my car at Donington Park. Car was parked up and a fence blew over damaging the rear bumper and boot lid.

Video sent to Donington, insurance payout in less than 1 week...
    Now that is great use of the technology!

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    My helmet camera proved my motorcycle accent. £2k in bike damage and personal injury on top. Wouldn’t ride without it, getting one for the car.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Now that is great use of the technology!
    I’d only fitted it the week before.... Thinkware F770 Front & Rear cameras. It picked up the impact switched itself on and recorded the incident. Which showed Donington Park stewards lifting the fence from my car and pointing at the damage and scratching their chins etc😎

A passer by had kindly left a note on the screen saying to check the rear of my car. But it wasn’t needed as when I got in and started the engine the camera said “1 incident recorded in parking mode”

The camera paid for itself there and then. I’ve just upgraded it to the newer F800 Pro model.

I also would like to say, the staff at Donington were absolutely brilliant. No arguments or quibbling about the damage, and paid the £700 repair bill direct into my bank in less than a week.👍👍

Master
    Being a "Biker" yourself you should know there is no legal minimum protection required, people can wear what they want....
    I do know............... it seems you don't, it's the law, a helmet is the minimum legal requirement for protection while riding a motorcycle.

Master
    The camera paid for itself there and then.
    I think this is the key to part of this discussion, video evidence just stops any arguments.

I really can't see that his helmet is anywhere near over the white line in any of those pics.
    Here you go.

And in this image you can see that he did move his head away a fraction of a second before it collided with anything, obviously no time to correct his line or lean.

Anyway nobody died that day.....or maybe they did down the road.
    Last edited by K300; 17th May 2018 at 01:02.

Aria Doohan rep?

good choice!

he must have at least - flinched as he passed!

Master
    I think this is the key to part of this discussion, video evidence just stops any arguments.
    No sorry , he may well be not riding very sensibly but his head isn't over the white line , your vertical line up from the whiteline is about 1-2ft too far forward from his position judging by the perspective.

He's never closer than about 6 inches away from the line.

Craftsman
    I do know............... it seems you don't, it's the law, a helmet is the minimum legal requirement for protection while riding a motorcycle.
    unless you are a turban wearing Sikh

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Anyway as we can all see the biker is doing nothing illegal regardless of opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Arai Doohan rep?
    Memories...

Rubberdownbubbleup!

Master
    We should now discuss that his helmet is past the recommendation a of changing them every 5 years. But from the image i can’t quite see the build date on the strap but a Doohan rep is at least ancient.

Craftsman
    We should now discuss that his helmet is past the recommendation a of changing them every 5 years. But from the image i can’t quite see the build date on the strap but a Doohan rep is at least ancient.

they are still available on latest models I believe

Master

I do love this place

Without getting onto the debate of white line or not, he looks like a dipstick anyway. I’m referring to him hanging off the bike like he’s needing to! The bike’s position tells a different story to his body.

Not sure why but something about the look of his atire, style and the type of bike he’s on (doesn’t match the lid) It almost reminds me of the thieving biker toe-rag look.

I’m not sure it is a Doohan rep, kind of looks like it but when comparing google images looks different. Well it’s certainly not the original doohan rep.

Anyway, someone needs to get some proper perspective on the lines and lets get to the bottom of this, someone must be good with some fandango photoshop? this thread could run all year...

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I do love this place

I’m not sure it is a Doohan rep, kind of looks like it but when comparing google images looks different. Well it’s certainly not the original doohan rep.

Anyway, someone needs to get some proper perspective on the lines and lets get to the bottom of this, someone must be good with some fandango photoshop? this thread could run all year...
    Maybe: