closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Helmet Advice

Master

Helmet Advice

I've completed the CBT and purchased a cheap Chinese twist and go 125cc scooter. It's my first ever bike so I went to the local motorcycle shop and went for a cheap £75 helmet. After a couple of commutes I haven't got used to the weight of the thing and I don't really like the visor down. I guess having been a cyclist for so long I find it restrictive.

The bike cost £700. Should I go back to the shop and try a few more helmets and raise my Budget or should I just man up?

Is it worth spending more on something I find comfortable or is it just a waste of cash on a cheap bike for an occasional 8 mile round trip commute?

Any suggestions on a decent commuting helmet?

I'd buy the best you can. The cost of the bike is irrelevant, it's your head you are protecting.

Find a known brand, or lots of them, and try them on for fit - it should be snug but comfortable. I will only buy Arai, but that's because of the fit for my head, and I trust them - I had a very bad crash at 17, and one saved my life.

There are always sales on for decent kit, so you don't have to pay hundreds, and there are some very well respected brands, and not all are crazy prices, but there is high levels of brand loyalty.

I would have a preference in order of:

Arai
    Shoei
    Schuberth
    Bell
    AGV
    HJC

Worth a look here

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot.../page_0/max_20
    It's just a matter of time...

Omegamanic has some good advice there. I would caveat it with the shape of your head. I can wear Shoei and Schuberth fine but Arai doesn't work for me. My head is quite round.

If you really are struggling you could also try Caberg but realistically if you don't find something in Omegamanic's list you need to try them on again.

Budget for a pinlock and only buy a helmet with pinlock. Not helmets but good general advice - don't buy anything Oxford.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I'd buy the best you can. The cost of the bike is irrelevant, it's your head you are protecting.

Find a known brand, or lots of them, and try them on for fit - it should be snug but comfortable. I will only buy Arai, but that's because of the fit for my head, and I trust them - I had a very bad crash at 17, and one saved my life.

There are always sales on for decent kit, so you don't have to pay hundreds, and there are some very well respected brands, and not all are crazy prices, but there is high levels of brand loyalty.

Arai
    Shoei
    Schuberth
    Bell
    AGV
    HJC

Worth a look here

Thanks I'll take a look and up my budget. Would a more expensive helmet not only offer better protection but perhaps be lighter? The one I have is a snug fit but weighs a ton and feels restrictive when I turn my head side to side.

Shark are also a quality brand with helmets in all price brackets.

Sports bike shop online is brilliant btw. You could also try fc-moto.de who are also superb.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sammyl1000; 21st March 2017 at 07:45. Reason: Typo

I am relieved at the content of this thread.

Grand Master
    If you have a £10 head get a £10 helmet
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Skool View Post
    Thanks I'll take a look and up my budget. Would a more expensive helmet not only offer better protection but perhaps be lighter? The one I have is a snug fit but weighs a ton and feels restrictive when I turn my head side to side.
    Probably. The more expensive helmets have more shell sizes. Cheaper helmers have 1 or 2 sizes for the entire helmet but different amounts of foam/padding to change the interior size for your head. You could have a S helmet which is the same overall size as an L or XL. Not comfortable, extra weight and wind noise.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post

Arai
    Shoei
    Schuberth
    Bell
    AGV
    HJC

Worth a look here

This is the best advice!

I nearly killed myself in 09 and thankfully the quality of helmet is what saved me.

You only get one chance in this life, don't shorten it by poor kit.

Any shop worth its salt ought to have a trained fitter so get them to help.

Good luck and enjoy this great new world. Well done in cbt too!

Jim

While you're there, get an integral (full face) helmet even on a small bike. Jaws and tarmac don't interact well with each other.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 21st March 2017 at 10:12.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I have a shoei neotec. Cost the best part of £500 but I'm not in the risk business when it comes to safety.

Craftsman
    Arai from a dealer who will size it to you. Expensive but worth it when it goes earth sky earth sky.

Craftsman
    I own several, but be aware that expensive and shopping by brand and reputation isn't always best.

This is a good resource: https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

I have several lids, Arai, Schuberth - but also like the Caberg Duke I picked up reasonably last summer - and it is 5 star rated, RRP £149.
    For instance Schuberth's SR-2 is only 3 star rated, RRP £550

How much value do you put on your life, always go for broke with a helmet and buy the best you can, but make sure it fits.

I've got a couple of Sharks after using Arai for years.
    My go to helmet now is a Shark Vision R cost about £175 (full face with sun visor, fits glasses, is light and has good side vision but a bit noisy).
    Be aware that flip front lids (I have the Shark Evoline) are heavier than standard full face ones, I rarely use the flip so not my best purchase.

I currently have a Schuberth C3 Pro. First flip front I've had, and on balance probably the best fitting helmet I've had. Really quiet, built in flip down sun visor. The only downside is the cost. But, as others have said, you only have one head.

Craftsman
    Try some on, get one that fits. Then have a look on flea bay, there are often people selling who have given up biking, or shops selling ex display helmets. Schuberth are releasing the C4, so might be some C3 Pro deals coming up, I have a Neotec and a C3 Pro, both great helmets, but fit is important.

Arai, they are always the most comfortable for me personally

My advice would be to good to a good shop where they know how to fit helmets, it really makes a world of difference. Also try on several and expect it to be a tiny bit tight for the first 10 minutes or so. There should be no localised pain just a feeling of all around tightness.

Full face are better than open face. Flip lids are also nice especially for town riding but they can be heavier than a full face.

Have fun shopping.

I am an Arai fan. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good helmet - look at their road ranges and discontinued / last seasons colours.

Eg - http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/categori...s-2-Clearance/

I usually buy last years' Chaser range every few years - I know they suggest a certain number of years age maximum but I take it as "worn years" rather than actual age so it doesn't bother me.

You will get features like removable lining, spare parts are available too if you break something - with the price the weight tends to come down but often noise level increases. If you haven't already also get a set of ear plugs. If you are riding a fair bit then decent kit makes all the difference.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    While you're there, get an integral (full face) helmet even on a small bike. Jaws and tarmac don't interact well with each other.
    Definitely - my mate looked v smart on his Bonneville with an open face helmet - until he came off and now has a scarred chin.

You will find bike full face helmets pretty restrictive - especially peripheral vision - some have a wider angle of view than others - that can help.

Congratulations on passing your CBT - I hope you enjoy many happy years of biking (and don't put your helmet to the test!)

ATB

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    If you have a £10 head get a £10 helmet
    Seeing as any crash helmet has to reach minimum standards before it can legally be sold then if you could actually buy a new helmet for £10 than that will offer the same protection as the £500 helmet. It's usually a broken neck that kills and not the lack of quality of the outer shell.

The price differences are a reflection of the materials and quality of the interiors, straps, visors and visor mechanism, vents or if it's a flip front etc. Plus on the more expensive helmets new interiors can be bought and fitted unlike on the cheaper options where once it's putrisd you have no choice but to chuck it.

Find a manufacturer who's shape suits your head. I've a BMW or Schuberth helmet shaped head. Aria press on my forehead and shoei has too much space around my chin.

My open face Momo is very comfortable and which i wear all year round.
    Last edited by steptoe; 21st March 2017 at 19:11.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Seeing as any crash helmet has to reach minimum standards before it can legally be sold then if you could actually buy a new helmet for £10 than that will offer the same protection as the £500 helmet. It's usually a broken neck that kills and not the lack of quality of the outer shell.

The price differences are a reflection of the materials and quality of the interiors, straps, visors and visor mechanism, vents or if it's a flip front etc. Plus on the more expensive helmets new interiors can be bought and fitted unlike on the cheaper options where once it's putrisd you have no choice but to chuck it.

Find a manufacturer who's shape suits your head.
    Sorry Steptoe but that is incorrect info. You're right in saying they all have to meet a minimum standard but the well known expensive brands far exceed that standard making them superior. I'm not sure where the broken neck scenario came from either. What a good helmet will do is absorb the impact across the helmet and through the various shell layers where with cheap helmet your head maybe in tact (i.e the outer shell may not have been compromised) but your brain will have been smashing around in your skull.

Getting a good fit is essential and personally I'm an Arai man and having unfortunately rigorously tested one in the past have great confidence in them.

Don't be too put off by the prices and ask for discount. Some of the smaller independent shops give large discounts sometimes, especially on last years models they want to shift.

My advice is minimum £200 spend.
    Last edited by spud767; 21st March 2017 at 21:56.

^ agree

All helmets pass the same *minimum standards*, but not all helmets are the same standard.

If you want to cheap out get a Caberg. Lots of riding instructors use them as they're instructor's helmet. If not go Arai/Shoei plain colour and you'll get decent shell sizes and free pin lock. Maybe even sun visor.

Grand Master
    To be fair I wear an open face Bell 500 of which I have 2-3 and ride a Harley in Jeans and Shirt so protection against the unlikely eventuality is not high on my agenda
    RIAC

I only ever found Arai fit me properly tbh. Depends on your head shape, but as others have said get the best you can afford imho

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Master
    Get the best you can afford and something that fits correctly. Go try on a load and buy the one that feels the best, at first it will feel alien and claustrophobic but will pass, a lid that is too big will offer poor protection in an accident.

Im a Shoei gal :). Love Shark designs but they dont fit my head as Im inbetween sizes :(

Last years colours can usually be found at reduced prices.

I would steer clear of ebay S/H as you dont know 100% if theyve been dropped or abused.
    Last edited by LuBee; 21st March 2017 at 21:35.

Helmet City are prett good, as you might be given their name.

By way of a heads up (see what I did there?) on Arai, new version are coming in the summer, so expect good deals then on current stock.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Journeyman
    I like my HJC's, using a carbon one just now and it's light and more importantly fits me well. I've used HJC for a while now and as they cover a huge price range, there will be something for everyone.

As many people have said, it has to fit and it has to be fastened. After that it is down to budget and feel, I could afford Arai but, they simply don't fit me.

Craftsman
    My advise would be get an arai or shoei in a sale. Head shapes tend to fit one or the other. Shoei (NXR) for me as arai don't fit.

Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post
    Sorry Steptoe but that is incorrect info. You're right in saying they all have to meet a minimum standard but the well known expensive brands far exceed that standard making them superior. I'm not sure where the broken neck scenario came from either. What a good helmet will do is absorb the impact across the helmet and through the various shell layers where with cheap helmet your head maybe in tact (i.e the outer shell may not have been compromised) but your brain will have been smashing around in your skull.

Getting a good fit is essential and personally I'm an Arai man and having unfortunately rigorously tested one in the past have great confidence in them.

Don't be too put off by the prices and ask for discount. Some of the smaller independent shops give large discounts sometimes, especially on last years models they want to shift.

My advice is minimum £200 spend.
    Agreed with the first three paragraphs - most head injuries are brain twist injuries, as you term smashing around in your skull - I was lucky, very lucky (wearing my brother's top of the range Arai, £250 27 years ago!) still caused a lot of damage though.

As to price, you can usually find last years model discounted, so maybe a £300 helmet could be £150 or even a little less.

Some brands just don't fit some people though - for example Shark to me are the worst possible helmet, but that's most likely because they are the most uncomfortable for my shape of head, with too many pressure points around my skull. Arai, Shoei, and Schuberth are comfy for me.

I don't hold much regard for the sharp test - but at least it's a standard.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post
    Sorry Steptoe but that is incorrect info. You're right in saying they all have to meet a minimum standard but the well known expensive brands far exceed that standard making them superior. .
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    ^ agree

All helmets pass the same *minimum standards*, but not all helmets are the same standard.
    But the minimum standard far exceeds anything that presumes the helmet is inferior and what you'll ever encounter in an impact and still be alive.
    Having a so called superior helmet doesn't make you more invincible.
    If an impact destroys a cheaper helmet that meets minimum standard it'll also destroy an expensive helmet.

The problem isn't whether the helmet is destroyed or not. After any hard contact with Mr Tarmac or anything else you should replace your helmet anyway.
    The issue is how much of the energy of the impact hits your head and your brain.
    So your statement above is incorrect. The minimum standards are just what a helmet needs to meet to be CE approved and therefore road legal. So much so that the US standards are different.
    So a better helmet will disperse impact better and the energy will be better dissipated at a higher speed than a lesser helmet.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The problem isn't whether the helmet is destroyed or not. After any hard contact with Mr Tarmac or anything else you should replace your helmet anyway.
    The issue is how much of the energy of the impact hits your head and your brain.
    So your statement above is incorrect. The minimum standards are just what a helmet needs to meet to be CE approved and therefore road legal. So much so that the US standards are different.
    So a better helmet will disperse impact better and the energy will be better dissipated at a higher speed than a lesser helmet.
    No. A better helmet isn't safer. It's simply better for other reasons, comfort extras etc..

Your body will give in before the minimum standard is even reached. :D

No. A better helmet isn't safer. It's simply better for other reasons, comfort extras etc..

No.
    You are talking about homologation, where the maximum number of 'g's that are transferred to the head. This energy depends on the distance between the outside of the helmet and your head, and the speed of the impact.
    Since the norm says the amount of g to the head cannot exceed 275g. Then you can consider HIC but the norm is (I believe) extremely high (= you're dead). In this respect all homologated helmets are identical
    This test assumes the impact is on one point, and crushing. The only way for a helmet to improve on this particular test is to be bigger, i.e. to increase the distance between the shell of the helmet and your head to spread the deceleration.
    The Sharp tests are probably more interesting although he rating needs to be standardised. the rating is unclear. The advantage is that the results are not binary (pass or fail, as for homologated helmets).
    It shows that not all expensive helmets are better than the cheap ones, and that even reputed brands can have significant differences between models.
    But more to the point it shows that all helmets are not identical in terms of protection.

Craftsman

This is simply not true, they are safer and the helmet does not have to reach it's critical limit either. Let's try and put it another way. If you hit your head with a certain force in a cheap helmet the damage to your brain will be more than if you hit your head in the same way in a better quality one. It's the way the helmet reacts to an impact.

This is why you should change your helmet after an impact even though there may only be superficial damage to look at on the outside. The interior structure maybe compromised.

It's like having crumple zones on a car. You may well be protected in a car without crumple zones but you'll fair better with them as the impact is absorbed.

Master
    A new Shoei open face J.O helmet with intergrated visor arrived today from the store Omegamanic suggested. It feels light, comfortable and has made the commute into work so more enjoyable. It's funny how I could be reluctant to spend £300 on a helmet but wouldn't have a Problem spending the same on a Budget watch!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    I own several, but be aware that expensive and shopping by brand and reputation isn't always best.

This is a good resource: https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

I have several lids, Arai, Schuberth - but also like the Caberg Duke I picked up reasonably last summer - and it is 5 star rated, RRP £149.
    For instance Schuberth's SR-2 is only 3 star rated, RRP £550
    This is a great resource, and it shows price doesn't necessarily equate with safety.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Skool View Post
    A new Shoei open face J.O helmet with intergrated visor arrived today from the store Omegamanic suggested. It feels light, comfortable and has made the commute into work so more enjoyable. It's funny how I could be reluctant to spend £300 on a helmet but wouldn't have a Problem spending the same on a Budget watch!
    Just try not to land on your face.

Open face is brave in the uk but I guess Southampton is quieter than London.

Hopefully it's warm enough or not needed in winter!