closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Gastroenteritis - is something going about?

Gastroenteritis - is something going about?

I felt a bit out of sorts Sunday afternoon, and then had my tea.

That was the last time I ate anything.

Since then it has been just sips of water, although I think I might be past the worst of it this morning.

Horrible thing - liquid guts, feeling incredibly weak (took me nearly half an hour to summon up the strength to get out of bed on yesterday. I have no idea where I got it (I haven't been swimming in polluted water for example).

Anyone else suffered recently?

And any tips on recuperating?
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

Since then it has been just sips of water, although I think I might be past the worst of it this morning.

Horrible thing - liquid guts, feeling incredibly weak (took me nearly half an hour to summon up the strength to get out of bed on yesterday. I have no idea where I got it (I haven't been swimming in polluted water for example).

Read the post I just did re: food allergens

Very much recommend a rehydration drink to replenish the minerals you’ve lost.

I had a bout of something the weekend before last. Spent the day in Whitby with my sister, we all ate the same thing yet on the way home I had to get my wife to stop the car to be sick at the side of the road. Managed another 15 mins in the car before being sick again (30 seconds from home) and then spent the rest of the night being sick every 15-20 minutes until around 0330 (literally nothing left inside me). I was off the whole of last week until around Saturday when I started to feel normal. Horrible.

Master
    I’ve felt like I’ve been hit by a bus since Wednesday last week, can’t get my chest clear and barking all day and night, luckily I’m on nights so everyone else gets a good sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    I’ve felt like I’ve been hit by a bus since Wednesday last week, can’t get my chest clear and barking all day and night, luckily I’m on nights so everyone else gets a good sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Covid !

I’ve had exactly the same thing; starting feeling ill a week ago Sunday morning; thought it was a migraine as I had numbness/tingling. Then a high fever and nausea. No sickness to start with; weird symptoms so I tested for Covid which was negative.

Then Monday evening my guts went and I didn’t really eat for a few days; got by on lucozade! It took until Bank Holiday Monday (8 days) to feel better.

I’m still not eating properly; I don’t feel nauseous anymore just no appetite. Which is not too bad as I need to lose weight anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had the same over a week ago, I couldn’t get away from the toilet for over 10minutes for 3 days. It was literally like urinating from the wrong exit. I didn’t eat for 2days and thought I should be ok but then because of the damage to my intestines food was irritating them and causing ‘normal’ diarrhoea for several days after. 10 days on and I’m just feeling normal again.

Had it as a kid, wouldn't wish it on anyone.

The only time I've had to sit on the loo and use the bathroom sink at a the same time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    Had the same over a week ago, I couldn’t get away from the toilet for over 10minutes for 3 days. It was literally like urinating from the wrong exit. I didn’t eat for 2days and thought I should be ok but then because of the damage to my intestines food was irritating them and causing ‘normal’ diarrhoea for several days after. 10 days on and I’m just feeling normal again.
    Hate that feeling.

Always reminds me of a Kevin Bloody Wilson song, Never Shit Solids Again.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Hate that feeling.

Always reminds me of a Kevin Bloody Wilson song, Never Shit Solids Again.

Fizzy Gravy or Crapuchino being the most apt descriptions
    RIAC

Definitely something that’s doing the rounds (no pun intended!) at the moment.

I was supposed to meet some friends and family all from the Buckinghamshire area over the bank holiday weekend but nearly all of them were laid low with pretty similar, and unpleasant, symptoms.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Fizzy Gravy or Crapuchino being the most apt descriptions
    Love those!

Blog Entries
    Not sure if something is going around but last time I had symptoms like that it was the result of an undercooked burger. Lost a stone the first week and needed antibiotics to get rid of it in the end. Was pretty scary.
    Be careful with the BBQs folks.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Not sure if something is going around but last time I had symptoms like that it was the result of an undercooked burger. Lost a stone the first week and needed antibiotics to get rid of it in the end. Was pretty scary.
    Be careful with the BBQs folks.
    Your cooking or someone else’s?

Thermapen for the win at home. Cook a burger to 155F and let residual heat carry it over the line. Perfection.

I am always wary of bbq’s at others. Aside from my neighbour who sloooooowly cooks everything on low for about 1hr so it’s all cooked but a little dry lol.

Blog Entries
    Your cooking or someone else’s?

Thermapen for the win at home. Cook a burger to 155F and let residual heat carry it over the line. Perfection.

I am always wary of bbq’s at others. Aside from my neighbour who sloooooowly cooks everything on low for about 1hr so it’s all cooked but a little dry lol.
    Pub. When I noticed i had already eaten some as it gradually became pink in the middle. When I questioned it was told 'we always serve them that way'. Just left the rest as I don't believe in returning food to the kitchen and then having it back. I don't trust people.
    I always ask for burgers to be 'well done' if I have one now and check before eating. I've never felt that bad before, even with the 'holiday quick step'.

Master
    Sounds very similar to symptoms I had. I linked them to having been out for lunch that day and assumed something was dodgy. But no one else was ill despite us all mostly eating the same thing. Really bad 24 hours. Felt weak for about 3 days and took a week to start feeling normal again. Although it was another week after that before my stomach actually settled down.

Master
    Pub. When I noticed i had already eaten some as it gradually became pink in the middle. When I questioned it was told 'we always serve them that way'. Just left the rest as I don't believe in returning food to the kitchen and then having it back. I don't trust people.
    I always ask for burgers to be 'well done' if I have one now and check before eating. I've never felt that bad before, even with the 'holiday quick step'.
    I love a pink middle if I trust the place.

Had one a couple of weeks ago however that was still cold in the middle. That one went back, but like you I don’t trust it being returned so got a kebab on the way home!

Blog Entries
    I love a pink middle if I trust the place.

Had one a couple of weeks ago however that was still cold in the middle. That one went back, but like you I don’t trust it being returned so got a kebab on the way home!
    Sorry but you’re taking a big risk. I like steak that way but never burgers. And anywhere serving burgers that way is taking a big risk with people’s health and the chef hasn’t got a clue.

https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygiene/burgers

Lost a stone the first week
    That's the S Plan diet for you!

Master

Sorry but you’re taking a big risk. I like steak that way but never burgers. And anywhere serving burgers that way is taking a big risk with people’s health and the chef hasn’t got a clue.

https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygiene/burgers
    Did you read the second half of the article you linked to? To infer the chef hasn’t got a clue is completely wrong, they have a better process in place than a standard burger flipper & can safely

The safety hygiene articles are written so the lowest common denominator of the general public can understand and stick to a rule of thumb.

There are 2 main aspects to the death curve of bacteria, temperature and time. Both can be used to achieve a safe result, such as when a burger is cooked sous vide and then seared.

With proper grinding and handling, a pink burger isn’t the danger the UK has been led to believe.

Master
    Our ~10 months old baby daughter has been poorly and some of the mums from the antenatal group have been chundering and most of us have been generally unwell. So it would seem something is going around.

Blog Entries
    Did you read the second half of the article you linked to? To infer the chef hasn’t got a clue is completely wrong, they have a better process in place than a standard burger flipper & can safely

The safety hygiene articles are written so the lowest common denominator of the general public can understand and stick to a rule of thumb.

There are 2 main aspects to the death curve of bacteria, temperature and time. Both can be used to achieve a safe result, such as when a burger is cooked sous vide and then seared.

With proper grinding and handling, a pink burger isn’t the danger the UK has been led to believe.
    I read the whole article I think. Which second half are you referring to?

Is it the part that says......"You need to remember that there is still risk involved whenever a burger isn't thoroughly cooked, even in restaurants with strict controls in place."..?

Or the part that says ......"That's why we advise that anyone who is more vulnerable to food poisoning should only ever eat burgers that are thoroughly cooked.
    This applies to:
    children
    people aged 65 or over
    people who are pregnant
    people with a weakened immune system......."...?

Having been there so to speak I'll never eat a burger pink in the middle again. But hey, if anyone else wants to that's fine by me. Enjoy.

Master
    I read the whole article I think. Which second half are you referring to?

Is it the part that says......"You need to remember that there is still risk involved whenever a burger isn't thoroughly cooked, even in restaurants with strict controls in place."..?

Or the part that says ......"That's why we advise that anyone who is more vulnerable to food poisoning should only ever eat burgers that are thoroughly cooked.
    This applies to:
    children
    people aged 65 or over
    people who are pregnant
    people with a weakened immune system......."...?

Having been there so to speak I'll never eat a burger pink in the middle again. But hey, if anyone else wants to that's fine by me. Enjoy.
    There is a risk to most things.

Enjoy your burgers brown & dry.

Mj2k BSc Food Technology, over & out.

Blog Entries
    There is a risk to most things.

Enjoy your burgers brown & dry.

Mj2k BSc Food Technology, over & out.
    Good luck.

Master
    I felt unwell a couple of weeks ago, ended up hurling my guts on Tuesday evening. Crapuccino ongoing, and felt no better on Thu so managed to see a GP. She advised I attend A&E for bloods, ended up being admitted and on a drip for 24 hrs as kidneys fecked and K v low.
    Just now beginning to feel like myself. COVID test was -ve, so really none the wiser as to what was wrong.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Master
    Good luck.

The only burger I’ve worried about wishes you well.

This was a step too far for me tbh; was fantastic though and saw it ground in-front of me.

Mentally though the I trusted the restaurant and popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

Best to not eat live yogurts or live kefirs after bowel upsets – because 'liquid guts' washes away too many of the body's essential microbiota which need time and nutrients (prebiotics) to recover. Live yogurts' and kefirs' microbes (probiotics) can become too dominant in a weakened microbiome and thus create an 'out of balance' microbiota – which can compromise the immune system. All explained in Dr Will Bulsiewicz's book FIBRE FUELLED. Also explained in some of his You Tube videos – and in ZOE podcasts . e.g.: https://joinzoe.com/learn/podcast-gut-bugs. – scroll down to the You Tube link. In a nutshell, to fully recover from a stomach upset, consider increasing the amount and diversity of 'plant foods'. Forget '5 a day'; replace with a minimum of 30 different plant foods per week – which is, or can be, surprisingly easy. And include some fermented plant foods in your diet. Furthermore, human skin to skin contact can improve a person's gut microbiota and thus help heal a compromised gut – so ensure you're receiving and giving lots of hugs !!
    Last edited by sundial; 1st September 2023 at 22:51.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    You got stomach virosis.

Active coal, rehidromix, after that Linex.

Nothing to be alert,usual stuff this time of the year.

Master
    Had the Micky Flanagans for well over a week emptying radiators consistently and with associated belly gurglings and nausea - luckily no vomiting.

Back to normal/ish now but still not 100% with nausea and gurgling still prevalent.

It came on 3 days after landing back in the UK from Sal; Cape Verde so rightly or wrongly laying the blame there.

Like others I too tested for good old Covid but tested negative.

Still feel rough as 10 binmen.