closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Double Red Sea Dweller for Daily Use

Master

Rolex Double Red Sea Dweller for Daily Use

Ladies and Gents

A long time ago, my dear Mum bought me a second hand Rolex for my 18th/21st birthdays. Since then, with the exception of time away during services, it has always been on my wrist, gone around the world many times, and stayed with me in some rather inhospitable environments..

Through absolutely more luck than judgement, that watch was/is a DRSD......

It is currently away for a 'fettle' with Steven Hale.

I am tempted to keep it as a daily wearer (that is what they are designed for after all).....and no longer work in such environments....

So, would you just wear it, or would you (as I am tempted to) only take it out on weekends and special occasions?

Cheers

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Ladies and Gents

A long time ago, my dear Mum bought me a second hand Rolex for my 18th/21st birthdays. Since then, with the exception of time away during services, it has always been on my wrist, gone around the world many times, and stayed with me in some rather inhospitable environments..

Through absolutely more luck than judgement, that watch was/is a DRSD......

It is currently away for a 'fettle' with Steven Hale.

I am tempted to keep it as a daily wearer (that is what they are designed for after all).....and no longer work in such environments....

So, would you just wear it, or would you (as I am tempted to) only take it out on weekends and special occasions?

Cheers

Pete
    Is it insured??

Master
    If I were lucky enough to own one I would wear it. You have done for years and it's survived ok, so should be fine for the lesser conditions you have in mind? Presume it will be pressure tested for water proofing which will be fine for day to day. Wouldn't do my daily 40 lengths with it on though, just in case.

Mmmm, I'd love to think I could wear it daily and enjoy it but I'm not that person. I had a minty birth year red sub snc only wore it 3 times in a year. Ended up selling it as I wasn't loaded enough to have unused assets gathering dust. Just know yourself, if you can I definitely would.

Btw, good choice with Steven hale. He looked over my red sub for me at no cost, and I ended up selling him a MF 5513. Great guy to deal with.

Without a doubt I'd wear it daily.

Banned
    I agree , if you've been wearing it for so long I'd carry on enjoying it on a daily basis . You only live once and you can't wear it when your dead . Enjoy , it's a stunner

Whilst it's still perfectly functional as a daily wearer, as much as a Penny Black is functional as a stamp, it wouldn't be sensible to use them any longer for their intended purpose. When you got it, it was a second hand watch with an average value and easily replaceable, now it's a rare and extremely valuable asset.

Master
    Given the history you have with it, wear it.
    Just make sure when it come back from service you start wearing it straight away every day. If you start off putting it in the safe/somewhere to keep it safe that becomes a very slippery slope to safe queendom!

Master
    And of course some compulsory pictures when back from service, is it still largely original?

I think the answer is common sense really depending on what you are doing that day. I had a Mark 3 last year and it was a great watch to wear, but I wouldn't swim in it (although some brave souls do) and I wouldn't wear it in any environment in which it could get damaged.

Remember, a huge percentage of the value is in the dial. It is a special watch and one that needs to be cherished and looked after - but wear with pride and enjoy it.

Banned
    Just wear it as normal, it's only a watch.

Master
    In all honesty I would keep it for best/occasional wear and get something less precious for day to day. That's because now I recognise its value I wouldn't be able to wear it with the same carefree attitude. If you can then crack on!

Master
    My word....you're a lively bunch!! I hadn't expected more than a reply or 2 within a day.......

Thanks for (largely) backing up my gut feel......albeit, I lose the thrill of finding something else to wear.

I shall, of course post a couple of pics when it returns; not expecting it until May though...standard wait I'm afraid.

Only replacement parts are a new bezel, new sapphire (I chipped the old one by hitting it with a large CO2 bottle....not on purpose...) and a new clasp; all a fair few years ago.

Steven is going to replace a couple of mechansim parts, but will be giving me back the old bits...

The face is completely original, as are the hands and indeed lume on the face. It has quite a patina, and has 'suffered' bright sunlight and extremes of temperature during its time with me (-30 degrees C to + 50...), as well as a bit of altitude 'work' (up to about 30000 feet); ironically, it has not been beyond a couple of metres under water.

I have never viewed it as an investment, and always intended to pass it to my first grandson. After all, it was a £270 watch (probably the equivalent of about £3k now).

However, I already have 2 grandsons....and a potential dilemma. That will involve buying something else interesting no doubt to join the DR, but not of the same value!!!

Cheers

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Without a doubt I'd wear it daily.
    Absolutely!!!
    It's just a matter of time...

Make sure any bits replaced like the bezel (I assume you mean the insert) are passed back to you. A correct fat font insert is worth four figures on its own these days.

Of course keep wearing it.

You wore it daily long before knowing it was a DRSD, don't let that change.

Quote Originally Posted by Seikoboy View Post
    I agree , if you've been wearing it for so long I'd carry on enjoying it on a daily basis . You only live once and you can't wear it when your dead . Enjoy , it's a stunner
    ^Absolutey this. If you weren't wearing it, what would you be saving it for? Why?

Btw, this thread would be great with some pics :)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Sapphire crystal?
    Plexi surely on a DRSD. And if it isn't, get it put right while it's in for work.

Then wear it weekends and holidays. (IMO)

Whether or not it's sensible or least only moderately and enjoyably risky to wear it all the time is proportionate to its relative worth to you. If you could see it suddenly meet its doom without suffering feelings of gut wrenching sorrow at the instantaneous demise of its value, then fine, especially as by the sounds of your career, you're very much at ease with calculated risk.

My word....you're a lively bunch!! I hadn't expected more than a reply or 2 within a day.......

Thanks for (largely) backing up my gut feel......albeit, I lose the thrill of finding something else to wear.

I shall, of course post a couple of pics when it returns; not expecting it until May though...standard wait I'm afraid.

Only replacement parts are a new bezel, new sapphire (I chipped the old one by hitting it with a large CO2 bottle....not on purpose...) and a new clasp; all a fair few years ago.

Pete
    Firstly, welcome to the forum, 1665's are great watches, I've got a Mk3 double red and a Great White.

I only wear them when there is nothing strenuous planned, no rolling about the ground, swimming, gardening, things like that.

If it is a 1665 you have, it will not have a sapphire crystal, they are plastic, they do not chip, just scratch.

It is good hands with Steven Hale.

Master
    I know 3 guys wear them as dailies. It's just a watch after all. I know a couple with beat up Comex's too. Just wear the thing!

Awesome watch and mine says hi.

I wear my 1665 Rail SD (1978) so a bit later than yours, without worrying about it and have even showered in it.

I would not take it diving, so use a 16800 (1982) for that.

These old old watches are fine providing they are correctly services and pressure tested.

Wear it and enjoy it - but make sure it correctly insured.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Thanks for the welcome...

Very interesting re the 'glass'. The 'original' most certainly 'chipped' or, more exactly had a chunk knocked out of it. All parts have been replaced by Rolex dealers, but alas the old bezel insert was not returned. It was replaced over 20 years ago along with the clasp.....the 'glass' was done over 30 years ago (all long before I understood the unusual nature of the watch).

I have taken it off for tasks that risk damage...but only for the last 10 years or so....previously, it never left my wrist at all...

As I dropped it off with SH, I was informed that it was an early 1665.

I ended up going to him on recommendation from Rolex.... After all of these years, I thought it deserved going to the Service Centre. However, they wanted to send it to the Restoration Dept in Geneva, at great expense. Neither I, nor (fortunately) SH thought that reasonable. The watch is worn, but not battered!

Cheers again.

Pete

Master
    Lee

Your watch is lovely.....the lume on mine is a similar colour....albeit maybe a little more faded (it's been weeks since I last saw it).

Master
    Sounds like the watch has had a hell of a life. Long may it continue.

Thanks for the welcome...

Very interesting re the 'glass'. The 'original' most certainly 'chipped' or, more exactly had a chunk knocked out of it. All parts have been replaced by Rolex dealers, but alas the old bezel insert was not returned. It was replaced over 20 years ago along with the clasp.....the 'glass' was done over 30 years ago (all long before I understood the unusual nature of the watch).

I have taken it off for tasks that risk damage...but only for the last 10 years or so....previously, it never left my wrist at all...

As I dropped it off with SH, I was informed that it was an early 1665.

I ended up going to him on recommendation from Rolex.... After all of these years, I thought it deserved going to the Service Centre. However, they wanted to send it to the Restoration Dept in Geneva, at great expense. Neither I, nor (fortunately) SH thought that reasonable. The watch is worn, but not battered!

Cheers again.

Pete
    Interesting that Rolex sent you to SH.
    I was actually told that Rolex UK sent any milsubs they got in to him but thought that was a bit far fetched, maybe not, anyone know for sure?
    I did however send mine to him directly and was extremely happy with the result.
    Both watches are shown here;
    Last edited by watchlovr; 12th January 2017 at 00:08. Reason: Added a photo

Sounds like you know what you'll do

For what it's worth, I'd wear it daily if it were mine. The repairs along the way add to the character and charm of the watch. There's something quite sterile about an all original watch of that age. Unless it has just happened to survive unscathed having been worn as intended by design.

But a NOS watch from that era or a delivery mileage F40 for example just does not do it for me.

With a sapphire crystal you are good to go!

Red face

I agree with the consensus on this thread - definitely wear it after service. A few years back I owned a 1967 Mk2 DRSD (thin case) and wore it often, swam in the ocean on holidays, etc. I had it serviced by Rolex (back when they were servicing vintage watches) and had no issues at all.

I'd be very interested in your potted biography, as it all sounds fascinating (especially 30,000 feet)! :)

I would say wear it in good health.

Quote Originally Posted by leefowler View Post

Stunning, what a beautiful watch

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    I was actually told that Rolex UK sent any milsubs they got in to him but thought that was a bit far fetched, maybe not, anyone know for sure?
    I did however send mine to him directly and was extremely happy with the result.
    Jaw dropping awesome.
    What a collection.

And to the OP, I say wear it with pride.
    It's already survived the worst that you could throw at it, so now just enjoy it. :))

Master
    Thanks for the great advice all. It has lived a very hard life with me. However, given the opportunity, I'd repeat every aspect.....other than carelessly damaging the glass many years ago!

As many might have guessed, I have spent my professional career in the military....but not doing the 'derring do and boys own stuff'. Despite first impressions, the majority has been mundane (ish).

Cheers

Pete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I had a similar dilemma, however on a smaller scale, with a 5513 I bought with some inheritance.

Well above my normal price point it's worth 4-5 times what my next most expensive watch is.
    However, it's surprised how quickly I've got over the value & juts love wearing it, to the point where it's almost a daily wearer & I'm considering consolidating some of my lower value watches.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Wear it whenever you want.......it's yours .

mike

Thanks for the great advice all. It has lived a very hard life with me. However, given the opportunity, I'd repeat every aspect.....other than carelessly damaging the glass many years ago!

As many might have guessed, I have spent my professional career in the military....but not doing the 'derring do and boys own stuff'. Despite first impressions, the majority has been mundane (ish).

Cheers

Pete
    Hi Pete:

Nice to hear about your watch's story; thanks for sharing.

I just wanted to add that I've seen more than one plexi Sea-Dweller in daily use by non-watch-nerds here on the western coast of Norway — they were popular with the region's professional divers, who originally bought them for building North Sea underwater infrastructure and still wear them. They were made to be tough, reliable watches that don't require any special treatment other than the occasional servicing, and they still are. I'd have no hesitation using one daily as it was originally intended, in or out of the water — that's the whole point of a Rolex.

While I don't own a 1665, I have the similar 1675 GMT, and it's proven to be a reliable and stress-free watch over the years. It's the watch I most often use when I'm travelling, and I don't take it off the wrist even if I go for a dive. While it "only" has a 50 m pressure rating from Rolex, they did mean it literally, and the Sea-Dweller's 610 m rating is no joke, either.

Get the seals checked for watertightness every year or so and you're good to go. Looking forward to seeing the photos when you get it back!

—Ryan

Wear it......

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    Mil Sub is on my list!! Your collection is awesome.

It's must wear. Life is too short for this beauty not to be worn and enjoyed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leefowler View Post

I'd happily wear that everyday, or at least in regular rotation.

Journeyman
    I would say it depends on how much of your net worth it represents and the insurance premium

Master
    Thanks again All. I love forums for their collegiate style and expertise. Only sorry I have 'joined the party' late (I've been on motorcycle forums for years....). However, I'm hugely impressed by the sage advice and warm welcome.

Re SH. Rolex SC said that he was the only chap they recommend. His prices are reasonable too. Without wishing to jinx anything before my watch returns, first impressions are very good indeed.

I must say that I can hardly wait for it to return. It's amazing how attached you become to an inanimate object.

Cheers

Pete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello guys,

Some of you mentioned about insuring the watch. Technically what would that cover? Loss, theft? Or does it go further than that? To OP, sorry for hijacking the post but you have a great watch. Wear it in good health. Cheers! Fmf

Craftsman
    It's a watch, wear it and carry on enjoying it

Master

Bought for you!!

If I had a watch like this bought for me by my Mum then yes I’d be wearing it every day!
    If this was the case and it had lived with me through the circumstances you state then, hell yes it would be a keeper so would stay on my wrist forever!!
    Now this would mean a one watch collection for me🤗🤗

Anyway! Enjoy it as you only live once, it’s just a watch but it’s a watch someone important bought for you plus it sounds like it’s been everywhere with you so get wearing it!!!

In every single other scenario you would be worried about the value of this piece except where sentiment takes over, you are in the perfect situation to wear such a watch without the worry so do so, for all of us that can’t 😉👍🏻

Chris

Master
    Thread date: Jan 2017.

Craftsman
    where's the pics then

Unless you have a plan to sell and need to keep it pristine id wear and enjoy the watch

Would be nice to see some photos