closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Plastering over existing outside walls

Plastering over existing outside walls

Linked to my restrictive covenant thread, we've now got the go ahead to have the work done we want, which is to put a new doorway on at the front of an existing opening. This will effectively close off a 'porch' area.

Ideally I'd like to plaster the new inside walls and paint white so we get a bit better light reflection and its easier to hang pictures etc. Would there be any problems plastering over existing outside walls (marked with red lines) once we have the door and frame installed at the front? Anything else we need to consider? We're also going to change the floor but haven't decided what yet but its the walls I more interested in at present. Wanting to ensure we wouldn't cause any problems such as damp or anything like that?

And this is what we're having done (very crude mock up by myself)

Master
    Ideally walls should have a vertical dpc at door position, take oppotunity to thermally break at same time, do not dridge horizontal dpc at floor level
    If you think like damp"how will i get in here" then you wil be fine.

Recommend Thistle Bonding Coat base and then finishing coat (multi-finish best).

Blog Entries
    When you put the front door a little back, in line with the garage door, the whole front of the house will look more 'collected' (don't know a better word in English). Besides that: you can put a LED light in the ceiling in front of the door and it gives you a little (rain) shelter when you try to get out your keys! Give it a try with Photoshop.

Menno

Edit: I just looked at the windows. I see that these are a little recessed as well!
    Last edited by thieuster; 21st April 2017 at 09:21.

Do you have an existing ceiling mounted light outside the original front door can't tell from the pic, if not maybe worth considering adding one in.

Thanks for the quick replies all, seems like it would be OK then.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    When you put the front door a little back, in line with the garage door, the whole front of the house will look more 'collected' (don't know a better word in English). Besides that: you can put a LED light in the ceiling in front of the door and it gives you a little (rain) shelter when you try to get out your keys! Give it a try with Photoshop.

Menno

Edit: I just looked at the windows. I see that these are a little recessed as well!
    That's a great point and one I'd not even thought of (setting it back a little). My photoshop skills are none existent but will play around - but thanks for pointing this out, as I say its a great point.

Quote Originally Posted by geran View Post
    Do you have an existing ceiling mounted light outside the original front door can't tell from the pic, if not maybe worth considering adding one in.
    We do yes (its ceiling mounted on a sensor). However, I'd think of having some uplights on the side walls as well.

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    Edit ignore me - just reread the OP

You'd need to dig the path out too at least a foot or so below DPC to get a new sub floor in (depending on th floor)

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    You'd need to dig the path out too at least a foot or so below DPC to get a new sub floor in (depending on th floor)
    We've been wondering what to do there to be honest. We're having a new patio laid on the back in Indian stone and had considered just using the remains ones we'll have replacing the existing slabs and pebbles. Ideally we want a new proper floor but can't decide on what and the slabs seem an easy option. The current concrete slabs would be replaced all the way up to the end of the path so gives a bit of continuity.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    We've been wondering what to do there to be honest. We're having a new patio laid on the back in Indian stone and had considered just using the remains ones we'll have replacing the existing slabs and pebbles. Ideally we want a new proper floor but can't decide on what and the slabs seem an easy option. The current concrete slabs would be replaced all the way up to the end of the path so gives a bit of continuity.
    You will need a "proper floor" dug out concreted with a dpm & insulation then you could slab if required. Probably best to seal the Indian sandstone otherwise it would be hard to clean.

I wouldn't recommend jet washing the hallway😂

Craftsman
    Sealing the stone will change its colour though.

Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coronet king View Post
    You will need a "proper floor" dug out concreted with a dpm & insulation then you could slab if required. Probably best to seal the Indian sandstone otherwise it would be hard to clean.

I wouldn't recommend jet washing the hallway
    Ok thanks for the info - and if I knew jet washing would break all the hall tiles I'd do it (I hate them lol - bloody gloss white, nightmare!)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    are you going to remove the internal door once the new door is in?

if so, you have already had the answer above, once done, a long mirror running length ways on one wall or both will brighten that area right up, maybe a small picture of your mum in there as well, she would be ever so happy about it, when she turned up.

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    are you going to remove the internal door once the new door is in?

if so, you have already had the answer above, once done, a long mirror running length ways on one wall or both will brighten that area right up, maybe a small picture of your mum in there as well, she would be ever so happy about it, when she turned up.
    No, leaving it as is for now. So it becomes just a porch area. Which basically means somewhere for the mrs to put yet another bloody christmas tree in December!