closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Glasgow property search

Glasgow property search

Hi, to cut a long story short my son has started his second degree in Glasgow, he was involved in a nasty accident seven years ago and his compensation money is due shortly. It's not a massive amount but I'd like to think it could buy him a flat within a 30 minute walk of the Wolfson building. If anyone could offer me any advice on a decent area suitable for a student I'd really appreciate it. I'm going up there on Saturday to get a feel for things so it would be good to have a look while I'm up there. Regards Scott

Hi mate, I gather your son is heading to the university near the garscube campus, maryhill road? I actually live a couple of miles north of there in bearsden.. I'm more than happy to provide some advice and help over the phone if that's good for you? Please pm and we can have a chat and provide details etc

Wolfson is Strathclyde but a budget would help answer your question.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Wolfson is Strathclyde but a budget would help answer your question.
    No it isn't, its the University of Glasgow on University Avenue
    Last edited by m4ckg; 11th October 2017 at 21:10.

Quote Originally Posted by m4ckg View Post
    No it isn't, its the University of Glasgow in University Avenue
    Sorry, I used to work at Strathclyde so was thinking of this.

https://www.strath.ac.uk/whystrathcl...lfsonbuilding/

Anyway, Hillhead is decent and very studenty for Glasgow Uni.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellietwed View Post
    Hi mate, I gather your son is heading to the university near the garscube campus, maryhill road? I actually live a couple of miles north of there in bearsden.. I'm more than happy to provide some advice and help over the phone if that's good for you? Please pm and we can have a chat and provide details etc
    That's kind of you, I think he's in halls of residence Mary hill but the campus in on University Avenue. I'll pm you tomorrow if that's OK?

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Sorry, I used to work at Strathclyde so was thinking of this.

https://www.strath.ac.uk/whystrathcl...lfsonbuilding/

Anyway, Hillhead is decent and very studenty for Glasgow Uni.
    No problem, I think he's getting £135,000 but I think he'd like to keep a little back if possible

Craftsman
    I don’t recognise the first two replies above I’m afraid. The Wolfson accommodation is in Maryhill but the Wolfson Medical building is down next to the main University building in Hillhead. Also I’m sure Wolfson is linked to Glasgow Uni, not Strathclyde.
    If the Medical building, to be honest the immediate area is by far the best for student life and a good area. Around Hillhead and off Byers road are great areas, going as far west as Patrick. The further north you go you get more into nice, more up market residential areas like Kelvinside, albeit good too but not what I would say is a traditional student area. Nowhere really to avoid as such in the immediate area imho. If going west, I’d suggest stopping before Drumchapel, if going NE, stop before Ruchill/Possilpark! I’ve assumed you want to stay north of the Clyde.

Craftsman
    Blooming auto correct. *Byres Road and also *Partick !

Quote Originally Posted by m4ckg View Post
    No problem, I think he's getting £135,000 but I think he'd like to keep a little back if possible
    With that I’d use it as a decent deposit for a mortgage on a flat in Hillhead area, 2 bedrooms. Rent the second to a fellow student to pay the mortgage and benefit from capital appreciation by the time he is done. You certainly won’t be stuck with it in that area.

Aah, more towards the West end and byres road then... Yes hillhead is a good shout.. I've had many a good night out on byres road and Ashton lane

Born and bred west-ender here and Glasgow Uni graduate too. Hillhead is great but pricey.More bang for your buck in Partick. Now considered to be a proper part of the West End so will benefit from the appreciation in property prices. Great area around Byres Road...property prices went crazy about 10/15 years ago but are now more realistic. When my parents bought their place, the neighbours were all academics. By the time they sold it, it was full of footballers! And Begbie lived just round the corner!!

Master
    We used to live in a flat at Speirs Wharf. Just a stones throw down the canal from Firhill. I realise that's Maryhill not Partick but we found SW a great place to be and really not far from the west end. There were a variety of flats there of differing sizes. Might be worth a look.
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-61798537.html
    this is exactly the layout we had, in fact that must be our flat but 2 stories above as we were flat 1 no 6. Not sure how close 135 would get to offers over 165 but most of it I'd have thought.

Master
    Within 30 mins walk gives a really big radius which would include,woodlands,St Georges X,Charing X ,Patrick and the new west end and foodie heaven Finnieston. These places should have some stuff close to budget if one bedroom but might struggle for 2 bedroom.Dowanhill/Hillhead will be out of price range.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Low Emissions Zone. Appreciate it will likely change over time, but may have an impact on prices- in either direction (From glasgowlive.co.uk:

“The final design of the zone will be informed by the Transport Scotland ‘Building Scotland’s Low Emission Zones’ consultation - ongoing until November 28.

You can also share your views on Twitter using the hashtag #lezconsultation.”)

Apart from that, with the good transport links all over, I'd not be overly worried about the 30 minute walk time, if you were prepared to consider a 30 min travel time total, you'd find a whole heap of far less student-y areas, but with the long term potential Pam Fan rightly points out...

Thank you for all the good advice given, the course he's on will take 5 years so there is some sense in him buying a property especially if he can get a 2 bed. I agree the money could be invested in better places which I'll have a chat about this weekend with him. For example I could pick up a repossessed terrace house for £70k which would return £450.

Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    Well why not buy two of those. Then he can rent a place in the east end (I might have one available soon btw) for not much more than 450, sublet one of the rooms and be netting a decent sum every month.
    TBH it's what I'm going to suggest when I see him but I don't want to be too pushy, I'll definitely keep it mind thanks