closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Moving to England. Where would you live?

Craftsman
    Dartmouth is a good shout although property there and in Salcombe is significantly more expensive than the surrounding area - it’s second home territory. But elsewhere between Exeter and Plymouth would fit the bill - but be aware that west of Exeter transport links aren’t great.
    Having said all this, if it wasn’t for family, I’d go back to my roots in North Yorkshire in a flash.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    Dartmouth is a good shout although property there and in Salcombe is significantly more expensive than the surrounding area - it’s second home territory. But elsewhere between Exeter and Plymouth would fit the bill - but be aware that west of Exeter transport links aren’t great.
    Having said all this, if it wasn’t for family, I’d go back to my roots in North Yorkshire in a flash.

I love Dartmouth. Expense is going to be a factor but we will rent initially so that will be more reasonable. Someone also mentioned that it is a bit remote which is going to be a factor. There's also Totnes, which sounds like a lively place.

I'm having a lot of trouble selling anywhere north of Birmingham to my better half. She's an American and is afraid of being "isolated" in the Far North! Which is a shame because I really like the look of the north wales coast, the Northumberland coast and the city of York.

Master
    If the idea of a seaside village appeals then how about Jaywick? Reasonable connections to London and surprisingly affordable accommodation. All that plus bracing sea air!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    If the idea of a seaside village appeals then how about Jaywick? Reasonable connections to London and surprisingly affordable accommodation. All that plus bracing sea air!
    Not a bad shout, agree good connections into London when needed, which is a big plus.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post

I'm having a lot of trouble selling anywhere north of Birmingham to my better half. She's an American and is afraid of being "isolated" in the Far North! Which is a shame because I really like the look of the north wales coast, the Northumberland coast and the city of York.

Just remind her that England is smaller than most of your individual states so it's pretty hard to be isolated anywhere here. Newcastle is a big place and an easy and quick drive down the A1 from Northumberland. You are also less than 2 hours from Edinburgh too for regular trips.

Blog Entries
    Great read for a foreigner like me!

I now realise that I hit the jackpot when I visited England this summer (Plymouth & surrounding area). I cannot comment on other parts, but I really liked it there. We stayed in Wembury, 5 miles south of Plymouth. Lovely landscape, rural, with the sea within walking distance and still only 15 mins away from stores like Morrisons.

When staying there, I searched for houses for sale in Wembury and their prices. Compared with the current Dutch market, Wembury is about 25% cheaper than where I live. However, when you compare the seaside village Wembury with a seaside village in Holland, Wembury's prices are less than 50% of the Dutch equivalent... "Cheap" was my first comment.

Perhaps a note; as a foreigner, I noticed that the roads are very narrow; nearly claustrophobic. There's no local car without traces of branch scrapes on the left side of the vehicle. Having an LHD car made steering towards the branches and the walls easier: I was able to pinpoint the car as close as possible.

Compared with the Seattle situation, I think that you'll experience the compactness (is that a word?) of the roads rather worrying - like me...

York to London is closer than LA to Vegas, or New York to Boston. If I didn't live in York, I'd be somewhere in the Southwest.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Just remind her that England is smaller than most of your individual states so it's pretty hard to be isolated anywhere here. Newcastle is a big place and an easy and quick drive down the A1 from Northumberland. You are also less than 2 hours from Edinburgh too for regular trips.
    A good point, though of course it is all relative.

When I lived in Texas I thought nothing of getting in the car and driving to see the Grand Canyon, New Orleans and Chicago.

From home now in Oxfordshire I can reach the Highlands of Scotland in well under 11 hours without pushing it (so long as the M6 between Stafford and Bolton is clear), whereas the 3 hours it takes to get down to Kent seems like an eternity.

Having been born and brought up in Kent it now feels like leaving there to get anywhere other than London is a pain, simply because it's almost impossible to avoid the M25. In general I find it is the amount of traffic and the unpredictability of delays that makes driving in the UK so tiresome.

To the OP I would say give due consideration to your hobbies, pastimes and other interests. I would love to relocate to the Highlands, as it would suit my interests perfectly, but if you're into football, shopping, the theatre, going out to restaurants/clubs, etc I can see how moving there might feel like you had dropped off the face of the earth. Also some places are attractive in Summer but not Winter, and vice versa. Living very close to the Cotswolds there are places I now avoid between the beginning of May and the end of September, as they get overrun by tourists.

You are fortunate in being able to work from home. I do a lot of that too, but in between I travel extensively so access to an airport that offers decent flights is important for me, at least in the short to medium term. Scotland has airports, of course, but often it would mean indirect flights to many destinations.

The idea of taking 2 or 3 weeks to travel around and find the right place is a good one. If not, possibly consider short term renting or house-sitting, as it would enable you to get the "feel" of the place before committing to purchasing a house.

How about south of France?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    How about south of France?
    Or Tuscany,

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I've just come back from Aberystwyth, very picturesque, distinct lack of people and very cheap for housing. Of course its in Wales so you may have to learn the dialect but you'd have to do that in Basildon as well

Craftsman
    I love Dartmouth. Expense is going to be a factor but we will rent initially so that will be more reasonable. Someone also mentioned that it is a bit remote which is going to be a factor. There's also Totnes, which sounds like a lively place.

Probably quicker to get to London from York than it is from Dartmouth!

Master
    Personally I love north Devon - around Ilfracoombe and Coombe Martin the scenery is amazing and the weather is 'robust', proper weather with nice summer days and storms in front of the log burner nights. The Lakes and Peaks are also nice but I keep coming back to Devon as my favourite. Not sure about internet speeds though - it is a bit rural.

You might go tactical and look at Scotland, with Brexit looming and the very real prospect of Scotland jumping ship from the UK in a referendum you'd have options depending on how your business is effected by all this.

Scotland doesn't qualify for EU membership. It's finances are all wrong.

York, Whitby, and there are a number of lovely villages in the Vale of York itself, including Heck, where they make brilliant handmade sausages, 97% pork shoulder.

All I would add is beware the lack of cultural diversity in the smaller places. Lack of diversity of thought makes them feel like alien places when we visit from London. Maybe find somewhere with at least 25% migrant population to make it a more enriching experience?

Some of the places mentioned are predominately white and very 'Brexity' and if you have kids and raise them in that environment they won't get a rounded cultural experience and may resent you for it later if it costs them opportunities. Just a thought. In your shoes I'd be going to Bournemouth
    Last edited by ryanb741; 5th September 2018 at 17:59.

Master
    What utter nonsense.

(Bournemouth voted leave by some margin BTW).
    Last edited by benny.c; 5th September 2018 at 18:21.

Notwithstanding the comments made thus far, I can wholeheartedly recommend Hastings as a splendid place to visit, fall in love with and settle. Some of the outlying areas will provide more than enough isolation if that is your thing. Throw in the quality of the surrounding countryside, seaside, Hastings-effect in terms of being sunny here but raining north of The Ridge, reasonable house prices compared to much of England and the undercurrent of creativity and I suspect you’ll be more than happy here. My American girlfriend loves it here too!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    What utter nonsense.

(Bournemouth voted leave by some margin BTW).
    Agree, plus the irony with the "Stop Racism" avatar

Only one place I will recommend, Anglesey!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Maybe find somewhere with at least 25% migrant population to make it a more enriching experience?
    I'd be going to Bournemouth
    Sorry, I was in Bournemouth last month because Liz wanted to go and I had never been there so we nipped over from Poole.
    What an awful run down sea front promenade. We felt like aliens there. Made a hasty exit.
    Enriching experience? you have to be joking.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Sorry, I was in Bournemouth last month because Liz wanted to go and I had never been there so we nipped over from Poole.
    What an awful run down sea front promenade. We felt like aliens there. Made a hasty exit.
    Enriching experience? you have to be joking.
    Living in a community is very different to a tourist visit don’t you think?

Master
    Both Poole and Bournemouth are areas that need to some TLC, I'm not a fan of either despite living in the area for the last 30+ years.
    Currently working in Bournemouth and next month moving to a new job in Poole, thankfully my seaside needs are met by Lulworth Cove that's only a short trip from my house.

Join in a bit late but I need to tell you that North Norfolk is it!
    We have beautiful coastline, the area is flat as a pancake so you can enjoy your bike ride without need to be super fit. You may get a road rage at first until you get use to doing 25 MPH following tractors after Tractors, it is actually quite a calming feeling.
    People are really nice around this part of the world, laid back and kind plus there isn't much crime around North Norfolk either (touch wood). The area is so nice even the queen spend Christmas here every year, now if that doesn't sell it to you not sure where else will.

Master
    Some years ago two friends of my Dad spent a whole 18 months touring England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland looking for a place to settle after selling a business. In the end they bought a house in Grange over Sands, Cumbria and lived there happily for 15 years before age and infirmity made them move in with their daughter's family in the Thames Valley.
    In other words, you need to spend time to get to know the place before settling.

I noticed most people have chosen what are normally honeypot tourist destinations - so I guess your tolerance of traffic jams and summer tourist invasions may influence your decision. Don't choose something quiet and peaceful in December and then find that in July it takes you two hours to get to the supermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren View Post
    I'd agree with this, I think you'd find Arundel somewhat ''too cosy'' after while (who is doing what...?? etc ) and parking is a nightmare (NO allocations !)
    You'd feel very 'comfortable' if into your arts

Whilst we really like the 'small town' feel to Chichester (Roman design !) and more small good restaurants opening (which always a good sign !) must agree Lymington is lovely, which includes the wonderful New Forest !
    Suggest rent for a year or so (are you dep. on schools, the South has several with very good ratings, state and private) - rather than jumping in to buy immediately.
    Bit more upheaval, but def. worth the effort.
    You see, this is the problem - it really depends on your own preferences. My brother lives in Lymington and every time I visit (he’s lived there for over 20 years) I don’t get what the fuss is about. Turning into ‘mini London’ full of second homers, forest isn’t all that amazing and the beaches are pretty poor compared to my neck of the woods in North Norfolk which is far more rural with huge stunning beaches like Holkham to enjoy. Rubbish access to London compared to Lymington (lived in London most of my life, no longer want or need fast access there anymore) but my family love be it up here. Everyone has their own idea of ‘home’ - rent before buying sounds like a great idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I would add is beware the lack of cultural diversity in the smaller places. Lack of diversity of thought makes them feel like alien places when we visit from London. Maybe find somewhere with at least 25% migrant population to make it a more enriching experience?

Some of the places mentioned are predominately white and very 'Brexity' and if you have kids and raise them in that environment they won't get a rounded cultural experience and may resent you for it later if it costs them opportunities. Just a thought. In your shoes I'd be going to Bournemouth
    Odd comment. Since moving from Kingston to North Norfolk I can’t say I’ve encountered any more racism and my kids haven’t mentioned a ‘less rounded cultural experience’. Also not sure that white and ‘brexity’ means ‘racist’ but we’re all entitled to our views

Master

Moving to England. Where would you live?

Another country

Poole in Dorset, Lower Parkstone/Canford Cliffs area. Outside of London it's the best place to live in that I've experienced in the UK.
    You are entirely correct, but please - don't tell anyone else.

We're already suffering from an excess of footballists.

Blog Entries

Odd comment, and you might not have noticed, but the UK is 'predominately white'... ? and 'Brexity' infers ..??
    We have friends whom were been born and lived (and left) in towns 'with much 'cultural diversity', and they are becoming more and more 'diverse' every year, and not to the towns' benefit ....!

If climate is an issue, think hard about moving to the Northern parts
    A colleague married a Canadian, (Montreal) and later moved back to West Norway, very similar climate to N E England and Scotland, and within a year had moved back to Canada as she couldn't hack the weather !

BTW, Chichester has just been voted '4th most picturesque' place in England by luxury homeware company OKA.... (behind Bath, Canterbury and Oxford)

Very much this.
    Lots of small minds in the shires (just like the US) anywhere with a significant gay population is a good start, places like that usually have a higher proportion of more tolerant open minded folk and better restaurants.
    Draw a line from the wash to the Bristol Channel anything south of that is 21st century, anything above (apart from Manchester and Edinburgh) are very much stuck in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Draw a line from the wash to the Bristol Channel anything south of that is 21st century, anything above (apart from Manchester and Edinburgh) are very much stuck in the past.
    Love it!

North Wales Coast is quiet...we moved out of England...

Master
    Lots of small minds...
    Isn’t there just?

I live in Birmingham, which I love.

Without family and friends I would be in Bath.

My folks would be in Dartmouth... if I wasn't in Birmingham... it goes on.

I do like shropshire only because it's 40 mins from Birmingham and feels like another world.

like people have said, what's the budget, ohhhh, do tell!!

Very true, I live on the Bristol Channel (English side) every night after we switch on our LED lights I look across the channel to see the candles and torches being lit in South Wales, and while we tuck into our KFC I get wafts of peasant porridge if the north wind blows..

Master
    It's great up north with cobbled streets...gives the wife an orgasm every time we drive down them.Happy wife = happy life.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    I noticed most people have chosen what are normally honeypot tourist destinations - so I guess your tolerance of traffic jams and summer tourist invasions may influence your decision. Don't choose something quiet and peaceful in December and then find that in July it takes you two hours to get to the supermarket.
    I actually don't mind a place that is swamped by tourists in the summer as long as I can have some quiet corner, and a few months relief in the off season. It makes some of those little villages more tolerable.

Master
    When I was working I travelled all over the UK.... but I was always glad to get back to sleepy Shropshire
    Lovely peaceful small towns and villages.

http://www.shropshire-guide.co.uk/pl...opshire-towns/

Easy access to Chester, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Another country
    This.

Heaps better places to move to.
    Better weather, social care and attitudes, space, cost...etctera, etctera...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Jaywick?

Jaywick is few miles up the road from me and not a nice place! I am hoping your post was being sarcastic.
    Whilst it has one of the best beaches in the area, its certainly not a nice place to live. I would imagine one day all those holiday ‘homes’ people live in permanently will be knocked down and a property developer will make millions on expensive houses near the beach.

Harwich is also close by, again in my opinion is not a great place to live, but there are some lovely villages nearby. Plus you can get the Stena line over to Holland when ever you want.

That whole stretch of Essex coast line is a bit down market, with the exception of Frinton.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    Harwich is also close by, again in my opinion is not a great place to live, but there are some lovely villages nearby. Plus you can get the Stena line over to Holland when ever you want.
    The old town of Harwich is picturesque but seems really quiet.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    Jaywick?
    Jaywick is few miles up the road from me and not a nice place! I am hoping your post was being sarcastic.
    Whilst it has one of the best beaches in the area, its certainly not a nice place to live. I would imagine one day all those holiday ‘homes’ people live in permanently will be knocked down and a property developer will make millions on expensive houses near the beach.
    Jaywick. That is an impressively depressed seaside town. But where else can you get a choice of beach front cottages for under 80k? It is surprising some developer hasn't bought up the area, maybe there's flooding risks?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    That whole stretch of Essex coast line is a bit down market, with the exception of Frinton.
    Frinton! Lolzz.

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Southwold or somewhere very close.
    Lovely area.
    Ian

Craftsman
    All I would add is beware the lack of cultural diversity in the smaller places. Lack of diversity of thought makes them feel like alien places whe.n we visit from London. Maybe find somewhere with at least 25% migrant population to make it a more enriching experience?

What you state above is exactly why the West Country is the nicest region to live in the UK. London is a multicultural sh1t hole overrun by migrants, which is a nightmare for most family orientated conservative British people who like to feel safe walking down the street or in their own homes.

Master
    Skegness?

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    What you state above is exactly why the West Country is the nicest region to live in the UK. London is a multicultural sh1t hole overrun by migrants, which is a nightmare for most family orientated conservative British people who like to feel safe walking down the street or in their own homes.
    The gammon is strong with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Southwold or somewhere very close.
    Lovely area.
    Ian

Ah the home of Adnams, the creators of Ghost Ship Never been but love the beer.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    What about family orientated non-conservative British people?