closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Are Chinese Manufactured Cars Sold in the UK?

Apprentice

Are Chinese Manufactured Cars Sold in the UK?

They are apparently coming to the United States during the fall of 2019. A major bone of contention is that China currently charges a 25% tariff on U.S. manufactured cars while the tariff for Chinese-manufactured automobiles imported into the United States stands at 2.5%, a major discrepancy from global economic and commerce standpoints.

The jury is still out as to whether Americans will embrace and buy Chinese-made cars and if these automobiles offer any promise in terms of their overall build quality, reliability and customer service.

Unless these cars are priced dirt cheap, chances are they won't be overly popular amongst working class Americans whose jobs and products have been displaced by overseas manufacturing.

Curious if any Chinese manufactured cars have made it into the UK.

The "MG" is available in the UK.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

As controversial as diesel powered Maseratis.

Master
    Is Volvo not manufactured in China these days?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    It's unfortunate that such a classic make as MG is now a part of Shanghai Automotive. To some, the brand has probably lost much of its allure. MGTDs, MGAs and MGBs were very popular in the United States at one time.

The new MG6 has received somewhat poor reviews if 2 stars out of 5 is any indication. While it retains the MG logo, the car looks like just another vehicle designed to compete with a Ford Focus.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review.../mg6-2011-2014

MG, we’ve had others over the years too; I think the Rover City Car? But am happy to stand corrected. It’s a tough one as they are progressing, but that said I once bought a Chinese made motorbike and it was so badly made it was dangerous. The swing arm was not properly bolted on resulting in the bike crabbing down the road until I re-assembled it and the tyres were about as grippy as Teflon on ice. A hideous thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe 'city car' was made in India.

I Pads, iPhones (which aren't dirt cheap) just about everything is knocked up in China, its a 'global' economy.
    Last edited by number2; 11th March 2018 at 00:08.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Some poor unfortunate near me has bought an MG6 and I have to pass it every day on the way to work.

I actually marvel at how a team of designers managed to make a car look so utterly dull. And then I remember the badge was also fixed to the Austin Maestro and Montego so the marque does have form.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Some poor unfortunate near me has bought an MG6 and I have to pass it every day on the way to work.

I actually marvel at how a team of designers managed to make a car look so utterly dull. And then I remember the badge was also fixed to the Austin Maestro and Montego so the marque does have form.
    Continuing a long and proud tradition of making crap cars...

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    Continuing a long and proud tradition of making crap cars...
    Indeed, the last half decent MG's were the MGB and MGBGT, all sh*te after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    No. Chinese owned but built in Scandinavia.

Master
    'Great Wall' SUVs.

There's a concession in Great Glenn, south of Leicester.

Plainly, a geographical affinity.

Apprentice
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    No. Chinese owned but built in Scandinavia
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I believe 'city car' was made in India. I Pads, iPhones (which aren't dirt cheap) just about everything is knocked up in China, its a 'global' economy.
    British Leyland>India; Volvo/MG et al>China.

What's next? In a nightmarish scenario, do these conglomerates in China and India possess the capital resources to take over traditional companies like Porsche, Daimler-Benz along with other high-end consumer brands? Fortunately Rolex SA is in trust so the prospects of it ever becoming something like Rolex of China remains far-fetched. Besides, China already has a lucrative industry in the watch replica field.

For some reason or another, it seems that whenever a Chinese or East Indian company takes over an established American or European manufacturer of above-average to outstanding products, the overall quality and reliability of the their later products somehow goes down. Perhaps it has something to do with the metrics of profitability over long-term customer satisfaction.

Jaguar LR, Indian owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Bannon View Post
    [

What's next? In a nightmarish scenario, do these conglomerates in China and India possess the capital resources to take over traditional companies like Porsche, Daimler-Benz along with other high-end consumer brands?
    Only in the last couple of weeks China’s Geely became the largest shareholder in Daimler.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    It doesn’t seem that long ago that MG were basically rebadged Rovers.

On the other hand my friends dad owned a Midget, beautiful car.

Dave

The new MG supermini, the MG3, has had better than half decent reviews.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...or/mg3/verdict

In contrast, the follow-ups, two SUVs, the MG GS and MG ZS have been rather damned with faint praise.

They are slowly growing a presence on the roads, however. Feels rather like the early days of Japanese and Korean cars to me. Their early imports hardly set the Thames on fire either. Now look at them.

It’s a brave man who bets against China.

Blog Entries
    When we go on holiday to the US, I always ask for a Real American Car at the desk of the car rental. Last Christmas, I was given free choice: "It's Christmas, pick what you want!". We ended up with a Buick. Not-so-American as I found out... later that week. The car is built in China and imported into the US...

So much for my "I am in America and I drive an American car!"

Menno

There are very few decent, home built American cars, they are pretty naff in my experience. It will not take much to take the market by storm.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by The mid seventies View Post
    There are very few decent, home built American cars, they are pretty naff in my experience. It will not take much to take the market by storm.
    Haven’t the Europeans and Japanese been doing that since the early eighties? And more recently the Koreans.

The American car manufacturers have been in decline for decades but have improved such that most of their products are reasonable these days.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    True! And it's best to experience that over there! Having said that: The Buick was dull as dishwater but was loaded to the brim with gadgets and nifty stuff that actually worked!

30 or so years ago, we all wondered why the Koreans came to Europe with their weirdly looking and weirdly driving cars: E.g. the Hyundai Pony... And still there the Ssang Yong Rexton and Radius: ugly! But they've taken over a large part of the market; the Chinese will do the same within a few years.

I suspect the working class Americans you refer to will make their buying choices based on the same criterion most people do; Bang for buck in their range of affordability.

If that means Chinese cars that review well and offer seven year warranties then expect to see plenty on your roads.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I suspect the working class Americans you refer to will make their buying choices based on the same criterion most people do; Bang for buck in their range of affordability.

If that means Chinese cars that review well and offer seven year warranties then expect to see plenty on your roads.
    ^^^ this ^^^

What puzzles me is this: Honda is very small here in Holland despite the fact that they give a 10 yr warranty and a 2 yrs free insurance since mid-2017. Sales aren't really 'up' since then!

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    ^^^ this ^^^

What puzzles me is this: Honda is very small here in Holland despite the fact that they give a 10 yr warranty and a 2 yrs free insurance since mid-2017. Sales aren't really 'up' since then!
    Other than bicycles, what is (are) the main brand(s)?.

^^^ this ^^^

Just be glad you don’t have to suffer the Jazz!!

Based on my observations they have a top speed of about 25mph and are so unstable that they can’t take corners at anything above a snail’s pace.

I don’t think that’s correct, certainly multiple markets are getting Chinese built volvos and I assume this includes the UK
    http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201.../#more-1601742

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I always thought there were sufficient redneck idiots in Trump hats who would buy a rusty turd if you stuck an American flag in it.

Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
    I always thought there were sufficient redneck idiots in Trump hats who would buy a rusty turd if you stuck an American flag in it.
    There will always be those people, my comment was aimed at the right-thinking folk.

Many makes of car built in the US nowadays.

Stuff like BMW, Merc, Toyota, Nissan, Honda etc etc.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    I don’t think that’s correct, certainly multiple markets are getting Chinese built volvos and I assume this includes the UK
    My last Volvo's came from Belgium and I think most of the UK's still do, but the S90 production will soon be switching entirely to China.
    Strange that it's to top of the range model that will be Chinese, I would have thought they would start with a budget model.
    Maybe they feel China is a better place to be to produce hybrids and all electric cars.

Iirc, there were once volume limits or a per vehicle tarrif on Japanese cars so it made better sense to make the smaller low priced cars in the UK for our market, and import the premium high-margin models. I have no idea if this is still the case.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Many makes of car built in the US nowadays.

Stuff like BMW, Merc, Toyota, Nissan, Honda etc etc.
    Including some fine-looking cars like the Toyota Highlander and the Nissan Armada. Wouldn't mind owning one of these two!

Including some fine-looking cars like the Toyota Highlander and the Nissan Armada. Wouldn't mind owning one of these two!
    indeed - my experience of the general US built stuff is they are just dire, so they have a lot to gain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    At the last count I think they have sold about 3 MGs here.

I understand no foreigner is allowed a majority shareholding in a Chinese based company?
    They’re not daft are they? I gather the Volvo tie up was so that they can sell reverse engineered trucks without Volvo getting all bent out of shape

Master
    Never underestimate the Chinese!

In 2018 to the end of February, MG sold 661 vehicles. More than three times what Subaru managed in the same period and better results than Jeep, DS (posh Citroen), Alfa Romeo, Infiniti and Abarth.

My last Volvo's came from Belgium and I think most of the UK's still do, but the S90 production will soon be switching entirely to China.
    Strange that it's to top of the range model that will be Chinese, I would have thought they would start with a budget model.
    Maybe they feel China is a better place to be to produce hybrids and all electric cars.

Iirc, there were once volume limits or a per vehicle tarrif on Japanese cars so it made better sense to make the smaller low priced cars in the UK for our market, and import the premium high-margin models. I have no idea if this is still the case.
    S90 production Lready switched. I had one in order for delivery June / July last year but delivery date was pushed out to Oct / Nov as I’d missed the last orders for European manufactured ones so was due to get one of first from new Chinese factory.

For reasons unrelated I never took delivery of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post

In 2018 to the end of February, MG sold 661 vehicles. More than three times what Subaru managed in the same period and better results than Jeep, DS (posh Citroen), Alfa Romeo, Infiniti and Abarth.
    Yeah, but they're still $h1te though aren't they...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe View Post
    S90 production Lready switched. I had one in order for delivery June / July last year but delivery date was pushed out to Oct / Nov as I’d missed the last orders for European manufactured ones so was due to get one of first from new Chinese factory.

For reasons unrelated I never took delivery of the car.
    My folks have an S90 sat at the port awaiting delivery to the dealership as I type. They were told by the salesman it was built in China, I’ll be able to report back on reliability/issues in due course.

Blog Entries
    The brief period of time driving the Buick hasn't put me off from driving a Chinese-made car in general. It's about the quality control. After all: iPhones are built in China as well. That doesn't put me off getting one!

M

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePattinson View Post
    Only in the last couple of weeks China’s Geely became the largest shareholder in Daimler.
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I understand no foreigner is allowed a majority shareholding in a Chinese based company? They’re not daft are they?
    So the question remains…can this overseas business model be curtailed to some extent? If it's based purely on China's vast accessibility to capital resources rather than any commitment on their part to tradition, styling and venerable build quality, future consumers of these once heralded UK-German-Swedish brands are totally screwed. On the other hand, prospective buyers still have the option of exploring and considering other makes prior to the next scheduled Chinese takeover.
    Last edited by Bannon; 11th March 2018 at 20:23.

Craftsman
    Yeah, but they're still $h1te though aren't they...
    Yes

A deprecation black hole.

I dearly hope that any Chinese-made car would be better than Chinese-made motorbikes, the quality of those that I've seen is terrible. :-(

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Chinese manufacturer, UK assembly and finish.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    [QUOTE=Evanssprky;4698057]Chinese manufacturer, UK assembly and finish.[/QUOTE

Quote Originally Posted by Evanssprky View Post
    Chinese manufacturer, UK assembly and finish.
    Not anymore. The Chinese have now abandoned the original Rover plant at Longbridge:

The cars are now just manufactured in China and shipped to the U.K.

Master
    Probably cheaper for them unfortunately.