closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fake Casio?

Journeyman

Fake Casio?

Hi folks,

I thought I should get a quick second opinion from you. I quite fancied a Casio A-158w for a bit of cheap retro fun. I ordered one from an eBay seller for £9.99 and this one arrived. I know it’s a cheap watch, but this looks really poor. The packaging is poor quality, the LCD screen isn’t aligned properly, and there are small dents and imperfections on the bracelet. I assume this is not what I should be expecting from a Casio even at this price point. Your thoughts would be welcome, although I’ve already requested a return.

IMG_5854.JPGIMG_5855.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Looks fake to me.

Journeyman
    Hard to tell but likely. I wanted the same and bought a bargain new Casio F-91 and think this is fake also. Binned it and went and bought a real one.

Crazy how something so cheap anyway is faked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hold the bottom right hand button in & see if CASIo appears on the screen.

Hardly conclusive proof as to it being legit but it does on all mine.

Master
    Wow. If £10-20 watches are being faked what must the incentive be to mimic the 4 figure models!!!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Wow. If £10-20 watches are being faked what must the incentive be to mimic the 4 figure models!!!
    Since many of these watches are manufactured in overseas sweatshops, it is relatively easy to copy or clone them. Volume sales opportunities provide the key incentive.

Throughout the history of mankind, someone is always getting wealthy off the exploitation of cheap labor. After doing so, many of these overseas entrepreneurs immigrate to America where they buy $2M+ houses with cash. Then they bring over the old folks to take care of the grandchildren.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannon View Post
    Since many of these watches are manufactured in overseas sweatshops, it is relatively easy to copy or clone them. Volume sales opportunities provide the key incentive.

Throughout the history of mankind, someone is always getting wealthy off the exploitation of cheap labor. After doing so, many of these overseas entrepreneurs immigrate to America where they buy $2M+ houses with cash. Then they bring over the old folks to take care of the grandchildren.
    That's a remarkably specific analysis. How did you discover this? Personal experience or a documentary? Or?

Apprentice
    That's a remarkably specific analysis. How did you discover this? Personal experience or a documentary? Or?
    Personally witnessed. Come to Silicon Valley, CA or ask any realtor in the area and you shall see. Fortunately our neighborhood is $4M+ but that doesn't stop some prospective buyers from overseas.

If you're churning out anonymous digitals that sell for a couple of quid, but you can get 5x the money by faking the leading brand, then its very worthwhile. Crime is mostly opportunistic.

Personally witnessed. Come to Silicon Valley, CA or ask any realtor in the area and you shall see. Fortunately our neighborhood is $4M+ but that doesn't stop some prospective buyers from overseas.
    I feel your pain.

Master
    That's a kind invite. Easter suits me..... ;-)

Well it's going to continue ad infinitum if the rewards are so lucrative!

Journeyman
    Have just reordered from Amazon - only available through a third party seller called C Place based in Italy. About £18 this time. Next option will be full price off the Casio website I think...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post
    Hold the bottom right hand button in & see if CASIo appears on the screen.

Hardly conclusive proof as to it being legit but it does on all mine.
    Casio did not appear. Thanks for the tip!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphster View Post
    Casio did not appear. Thanks for the tip!
    So much for truth in advertising and the integrity of the highly lucrative and successful Guangdong manufacturing province.

After fulfilling a proprietary manufacturing order, it's relatively easy to keep cranking out fakes as they've got the tooling and the labels. What's to stop them?

There are loads of fakes about of these cheap casios... Even sellers on amazon are sending out fakes, check out the reviews there!

Journeyman
    It seems as though eBay does little to stop the practice. I’ll reserve judgment on Amazon but am preparing to be disappointed!

Like my old professional football career, I’d hate to have to go back to that lifestyle - living in a neighbourhood. I’m only guessing, but I assume it’s probably a bit similar to living in the projects, only the houses are bigger and there is a Prius or Tesla on the driveway, no?
    It's just a matter of time...

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Like my old professional football career, I’d hate to have to go back to that lifestyle - living in a neighbourhood. I’m only guessing, but I assume it’s probably a bit similar to living in the projects, only the houses are bigger and there is a Prius or Tesla on the driveway, no?
    More along the lines of late model BMWs and Mercedes-Benzes. Except that a sizable number of these recently arrived immigrants don't know how to drive them. Most are prone to last-second decision-making and reckless lane-changing. It will be light years before any become NASCAR, Indy or Formula One drivers.
    Last edited by Bannon; 13th February 2018 at 20:29.

More along the lines of late model BMWs and Mercedes-Benzes. Except that a sizable number of these recently arrived immigrants don't know how to drive them. Most are prone to last-second decision-making and reckless lane-changing. It will be light years before any become NASCAR, Indy or Formula One drivers.
    Since you mentioned racing: congratulations, you are now occupying pole position in the 'most annoying new member' category. Top man, you.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Since you mentioned racing: congratulations, you are now occupying pole position in the 'most annoying new member' category. Top man, you.
    Thanks but that wasn't my intention. Right now, the only pole position I seem to be taking is with an AD sales associate who is assisting in the discount and procurement of a C-Daytona for a friend of mine.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphster View Post
    Hi folks,

I thought I should get a quick second opinion from you. I quite fancied a Casio A-158w for a bit of cheap retro fun. I ordered one from an eBay seller for £9.99 and this one arrived. I know it’s a cheap watch, but this looks really poor. The packaging is poor quality, the LCD screen isn’t aligned properly, and there are small dents and imperfections on the bracelet. I assume this is not what I should be expecting from a Casio even at this price point.
    A number of things don't look right, starting with the packaging; the buttons stick out too far and the bracelet fit looks poor. However, misaligned screens do escape Casio's QC occasionally - the screen of my DBC-611 has always been a bit crooked, though not as noticeably as yours.

Seems like the same as most housing estates these days then. Doesn’t matter where you are in the world.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    IMG_5861.JPG

This one seems better!