closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Alert settings?

Alert settings?

Hi, forgive me if this is either daft or common knowledge (at least by everyone except me!) but...

Is there (or could there be) a way to set an "alert" sent by email and PM ETC. (Just like when you subscribe to a thread) to notify you when a sales thread is started, containing certain key words or phrases?
    Like a "heads up" you set up yourself to let you know when something you are looking for comes up for sale?
    It wouldn't be perfect or 100% fool proof I know but surely far better than pure chance?

I use a system at work called "Barbour ABI" (Evolution) which, like a similar system called "Glennigan" has hundreds of construction projects listed and will alert you when anything comes up containing criteria you set up such as key words or phrases or other specific data.

I wondered if it would be beyond the wit of man to set this kind of thing up on TZ?

I am fully prepared for comments like "just keep looking 24 hours a day" or similar but the reality is we've all missed stuff because we weren't on at the right time and we're doing other stuff like working or generally living?

Just a thought.

Have you had a play about with Tapatalk?

No, does it have that functionality?

There's at least one bloke on here who seems to have it working for the word "free".

Thinking about this, if such a facility was available there would still be a race to get to the seller. Someone lists a Daytona or a Deep Sea Deep Blue and half a dozen people or more have settings set to alert them. You are in a meeting, someone else has popped to Tesco and I am sitting on the bog and Dave is out walking his Dog - who gets the watch.

I don't see it being any more certain than the current system unless you were after something a little left field that no one else is interested in, usually the stuff I list.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    No, does it have that functionality?
    Not as specific as what you require possibly but you can subscribe to a particular sub forum to be updated with all new posts.

Quote Originally Posted by drhexagon View Post
    Not as specific as what you require possibly but you can subscribe to a particular sub forum to be updated with all new posts.
    That would be as disappointing as the national lottery emails where they tell you you've won but you log in to find you've won 2 quid.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    That would be as disappointing as the national lottery emails where they tell you you've won but you log in to find you've won 2 quid.
    :D

More chances of hitting the jackpot in SC!

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post

or...you get the alert,check it out (possibly going out of your way to do so if your at work etc.) only to find out it's a pair of shoes!

My suggestion would at least ensure you know about relevant posts, even if it meant a bit of a queue still, it would at least ensure you knew about stuff as it became available.
    I never suggested it would guarantee you would win it or even want it.

Unlike some predators on here (kidding!) I spend time away from the forum and work etc....so often miss something I'm on the lookout for.
    An alert would help even if it were not a silver bullet as such?

If there were alerts, everyone would have them, it wouldn't only just benefit you, but everyone equally. The whole process of disappointment for all but one person would simply be sped up, wouldn't it?

But you'd only receive them for specific items and at least level the playing field if you weren't on TZ at that time but received an email alert for you to check it out?
    As I said, it wouldn't guarantee that you'd not miss out but would certainly improve your chances?
    more useful during working hours than overnight of course.

There are plugins for vBulletin that have this feature (like saved searches that will notify you about new matches). There aren't any installed on the forum at the moment, as far as I know.

Blog Entries
    Imagine being able to get alerts on SC triggered by the following key words:-

Tactical.
    Whiner.
    Socks.
    Opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    There's at least one bloke on here who seems to have it working for the word "free".
    More than just one me thinks.