closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Amazon tricks customers

Amazon tricks customers

I always knew it was deliberate:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65978053

I despise Amazon with a passion for lots of reason, one of them being how bloody difficult it used to be cancelling a promotional Prime subscription.

I couldn't believe they were allowed to get away with it and it seems my experience is reflected in the case being brought against them in the US.

We'd use Amazon once in a blue moon when there was no other option, or we needed something quickly, so hands up, yes, I have benefitted from their nefarious business model. But this meant we were always offered a free 7-day Prime trial, cancel at any time, which we took up to enjoy the free delivery. I know, part of the problem, etc.

But trying to cancel the trial the next day to avoid it rolling into a £7.99 monthly payment was like navigating the Minotaur's maze. It would keep sending me back to the same page no matter which obvious option was selected. It was only ever by chance that a click on a link in a different sub-menu, would then take us to the Prime page and the cancel button. Even then, it was a new succession of four windows; "Are you sure?"; "Here's some new offers"; "You'll lose all your Prime benefits". All worded to make you think the item you ordered wouldn't be posted because you'd cancelled.

Amazon has since simplified the process and now we know why. I hate them.

My mum got out of prime by calling Amex and getting them to block it and issue a charge back of the annual fee. She couldn’t figure it out with Amazon.

Said to my wife for years that it’s a bit weird there is no email, confirmation, or receipt for our prime. Only time I see anything is on the credit card statement once per year.

Even after i forgot to cancel the trial and i was charged for several months, i contacted customer service and they refunded me the lot.

had it and cancelled it a couple of times without issue.
    we both have accounts but mine is just for searching (not prime) - if i want to actually order i get her to do it for the free delivery if available.
    then there is the rubbish tv she watches and apparently some muic streaming thing we have never bothered with.
    though we have had a few kindle books gratis, but thats more her thing.

the free delivery on its own covers what we pay. it may not work for everyone but i have no complaints.

amazon are no worse imho than many other companies and for full disclosure i did work for them for a while and made good money between proper jobs. no body putting a gun to their customers heads as far as i can see.

I signed up and canceled 3 days later with no problems.

Go to your account and click on the Prime link and then manage

Quote Originally Posted by DONGinsler View Post
    I signed up and canceled 3 days later with no problems.

Go to your account and click on the Prime link and then manage
    I know. I'm talking about a few years ago.

Amazon has since changed the websites to make cancelling more intuitive.

Believe me, they used to make you go round the houses.

Craftsman
    Never really got Amazon. Always seems really overpriced - would rather save a few quid and wait a couple of days.

Plays into the hands of todays society though, I guess.

A house opposite used to be owned by a couple who had an Amazon delivery daily. Low and behold when it went on Rightmove it was an absolute tat paradise.

I use Amazon as a search system - but I will never, ever buy through them. They are totally predatory. If you look beside their listing you will see a list of 'this item may be offered by other parties for less' or similar wording. Open the list and it shows you who is actually providing the item - ring them up and order direct, that way the little trader gets the full benefit. If we don't look after the little man the economy will eventually implode, at which point there will howls of discontent by the very people who caused the demise. Sometimes you have to think beyond yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    I use Amazon as a search system - but I will never, ever buy through them. They are totally predatory. If you look beside their listing you will see a list of 'this item may be offered by other parties for less' or similar wording. Open the list and it shows you who is actually providing the item - ring them up and order direct, that way the little trader gets the full benefit. If we don't look after the little man the economy will eventually implode, at which point there will howls of discontent by the very people who caused the demise. Sometimes you have to think beyond yourself.
    Without Amazon the small trader would get very little business.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Many small traders think less of Amazon than the disgruntled customers they have, believe me.

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    Many small traders think less of Amazon than the disgruntled customers they have, believe me.
    And many wouldn’t exist w/o Amazon.

Master
    And many wouldn’t exist w/o Amazon.
    Well, they cant complain then can they?

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    Well, they cant complain then can they?
    Their choice.

Because small traders didn't exist before Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Because small traders didn't exist before Amazon.
    Yes, many didn’t.

Big fan of Amazon, and great customer service.

SydR
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbaddes View Post
    had it and cancelled it a couple of times without issue.
    we both have accounts but mine is just for searching (not prime) - if i want to actually order i get her to do it for the free delivery if available.
    then there is the rubbish tv she watches and apparently some muic streaming thing we have never bothered with.
    though we have had a few kindle books gratis, but thats more her thing.

the free delivery on its own covers what we pay. it may not work for everyone but i have no complaints.

amazon are no worse imho than many other companies and for full disclosure i did work for them for a while and made good money between proper jobs. no body putting a gun to their customers heads as far as i can see.
    The Amazon Prime is on my account but I have done the Membership Sharing where I use “manage your household” to share the benefits with my wife. No additional costs and she gets the same benefits on her account.

Blog Entries
    It’s very difficult to search to buy on your favourite search engine without Amazon being top of the list. In cahoots?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Yes, many didn’t.
    Amazon - friend of the small business.

Unbelievable.

Didn’t know that.

I accidentally signed up to Prime when purchasing something, and had to contact them to cancel it - for the life of me, I couldn't find a way to cancel the subscription.

Unbelievable.
    Didn’t know that.
    Do you work in communications or PR? Jesus wept

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Big fan of Amazon, and great customer service.
    Agreed.

Another one here who would have been a victim of the Amazon con of I hadn't have been vigilant.

You get the impression it's of it's a case of 'it's a fair cop' when you ask for your money back.

I cancelled and have evidence of the cancellation and they still charged me.
    Last edited by Tony; 4th August 2023 at 10:38.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    It’s very difficult to search to buy on your favourite search engine without Amazon being top of the list. In cahoots?
    I think Amazon also pays for review posts. If you search for best anything you tend to find a nice article about the items and they all link to amazon to buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    I think Amazon also pays for review posts. If you search for best anything you tend to find a nice article about the items and they all link to amazon to buy them.
    They're affiliates.

A lot of reviewers have links for all sorts of merchants and they get a payment for whoever purchases via their site.
    Cheers,
    Neil.