closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watches in Sauna / Steam rooms?

Hybrid View

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DM71 View Post
    In a sauna maybe, I would not put it in a spa with hot water. Anyways, you are welcome to use your watch wherever you want.
    I wear a watch when swimming, even in spa water that feels warm to me. My G-Shock didn't seem fussed about it last month in a spa in the Valais, with the water at 36C (body temp being 37C or so).

Watches are subject to the same physics as other objects, no matter how attractive we all find the mythologising of those little mechanical and electronic marvels.

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    I wear a watch when swimming, even in spa water that feels warm to me. My G-Shock didn't seem fussed about it last month in a spa in the Valais, with the water at 36C (body temp being 37C or so).

Watches are subject to the same physics as other objects, no matter how attractive we all find the mythologising of those little mechanical and electronic marvels.
    Agreed, but my comment was more in reference with dress watches that have 3 or 5 ATM WR, in a spa. I would not do it personally, wrong or right. A G-Shock is design to survive extremes, so I understand you're wearing yours. I would too. My 100m+ wr watches go everywhere, the others, I'm more careful with extreme temperature.

It's true that we might be paranoid with our watches sometimes, but I'm not afraid of getting my watches wet (even in very hot water) when they have the proper WR. Like others said, if I can survive, the watch can too. I understand that it might be a bit OT though, since the thread was about Saunas, and not spas.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DM71 View Post
    Agreed, but my comment was more in reference with dress watches that have 3 or 5 ATM WR, in a spa. I would not do it personally, wrong or right. A G-Shock is design to survive extremes, so I understand you're wearing yours. I would too. My 100m+ wr watches go everywhere, the others, I'm more careful with extreme temperature.

It's true that we might be paranoid with our watches sometimes, but I'm not afraid of getting my watches wet (even in very hot water) when they have the proper WR. Like others said, if I can survive, the watch can too. I understand that it might be a bit OT though, since the thread was about Saunas, and not spas.
    Quite agree, if it only has basic WR then there is probably some element of risk in exposing it to water or steam.

What I will never understand is the mollycoddling of watches that - as someone else put it so neatly - we buy because they are engineered to be famously tough. Sort of

"Check out my bad boy tool watch, it's got 5000m WR and a superhardened tungsten case."

"Really? That's cool, so you wear it in the pool?"

"God no, do you have any idea what water can do to one of these things? I only wear it to the office on sunny days."