closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One watch. Can it be done?

Master

One watch. Can it be done?

"Act in haste, regret at leisure" is what I've been telling myself whilst considering going down the 'one watch' route recently.

So I'd like opinions - can it be done? And, more importantly, has anyone done it and regretted it?

Right now, I have three watches - all similar (boring if you like!) but all slightly different. A 14060m, a SD4k, and a 16610LV.

The SD4k was bought recently, a little in haste (FOMO - fear of missing out, my wife calls it) but it's my least favourite of the three.

Of the ceramics it's my favourite, but I still prefer the 5 digit models.

The 14060m would be perfect, if it had a maxi dial.

The 16610LV ticks all the buttons, and I could consider a spare black bezel just as an option.

The alternative is to sell the lot and buy something really special, but if it was too expensive I wouldn't wear it so I don't think that's an option.

So, one watch. Can it be done?

i don't remember seeing any post on here from someone who has consolidated into a one watch solution that has lasted more than six months.
    more often than not, it just heralds the start of a new collection.
    just my 2p
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I had one watch for a couple of years and was content. But. Ideally one for week and one for weekend is a decent minimalist pair.

Craftsman
    Of course it can. You could even have no watches! It is a choice.

For the watch aficionados then 1 is tough to cover all eventualities/conditions. If I had to then I could get to 2. Explorer I and a G-Shock. Not sure I could cope with 1 anymore!

Your 3 are a bit similar for my taste (and wallet), but it would be boring if we all liked the same things.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I had one watch for about 5 years, an Omega Seamaster. A great watch, and I was content.
    Unfortunately Col (cgs) then introduced me to TZ! I would say my collection varies between 7 and 20 watches nowadays

No.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    I did it and was very happy with a SD4k, perfect size, weight, proportions, design and that beautiful clasp. Unfortunately the SD43 was released and I had to upgrade. And, Gawd, it's magnificent!

Master
    It has been said that three watches would be the perfect amount. A sports watch, an everyday watch, and a dressy watch. Possibly do without the latter but two is a minimum.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Whilst I managed to wear one watch for about 80% of the time over an 8 year period, I think that I would now have difficulty getting down to 7-10. So I don't think sticking to one watch would work for me.

Perhaps try it out by locking 2 away for a few months and see how you get on?

Yes, get a sub and get out or if feeling special get the SeaDweller 4000 and get out. Both are very much "one watch" collections.

Master
    I'd say a lot of people only ever wear one watch so yes it is entirely possible. That is until you join a forum like this.

Until this year I had just one watch and didn't even wear it much. Now I've convinced myself the need for a watch for gardening (G-Shock), watch for everyday (Seiko 5), watch for occasions (Rolex 14060M)..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Yes, get a sub and get out or if feeling special get the SeaDweller 4000 and get out. Both are very much "one watch" collections.
    0/10 for reading my post mate - already got two subs and a SD4000 :-)

Thanks everyone for the responses so far. I think the week/weekend watch suggestion could be a runner.

I actually fancy another go at the 2016 Explorer, so that's a possibility.

I'm conscious my three current watches are very similar, so maybe swapping two out for the Explorer could work.

Master
    1 - no.

But a Speedy pro and a quartz for swimming/ sport etc. Anything from a g-shock to a quartz aquaracer/ aerospace depending on taste & budget. I could get away with those two, but choose not to!

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post

No.
    +1

Well, +65 actually.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Hahaha

Come on...

This coming from a guy who already has 3 almost similar watches (same brand, same colour, same material,same inspiration..) and thinks of buying a 4th one again same brand, same everything...
    Have you tried anything else than Rolex? ;-)
    No way you will 'survive' with only one!

I'd go with at least 3....but please try something else than Rolex....FTLOG

If, and I say If because my box is full, I would go for: my Anniversary ('71) Speedy, the MM and my father's gold dress Zodiac.....should fulfil every need...but then there is also the X33 I really love, the UX SDR, the SD, the EZM1....and many more including the Apple Watch (don't laugh)and my newly acquired Oris 65 vintage (love it)

so no way I can get out of this one...

Yes. Having had collections exceeding 15 watches I have recently consolidated down to one watch, the Blancpain Fifty fathoms. Since receiving it I have been trying to run with just the one watch and so far it has been successful. The acid test was when the blue Gemini IV Speedmaster appeared on SC last week and that is a watch that I have always wanted, but I looked down at my wrist and thought would I take the FF off to wear the Speedmaster and the answer was no.

I did say that when I got the FF it was a one watch experiment and so far the watch is winning.

Master
    if I distilled everything down to what I tend to want/need I would need 3:

DSSD - would cover smart, casual and dressy
    GPS Suunto - would cover outdoor and sports activities
    Normal Suunto - work.

but I'd miss everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    0/10 for reading my post mate - already got two subs and a SD4000 :-)
    Ha, got me. I read the title on tapatalk and clicked in a few posts down and read then, apologies. I think a 2-3/10 is in order.

Weekend watch could do it but if you keep the SD4K and purchase a 2016 Explorer you're at risk of having two very nice watches with neither screaming 'weekend'. Imho a weekend watch would be something like a D-Blue or an AP diver.

An earlier comment said selling all could simply start the beginning of a new collection instead of a consolidation is probably right.

Master
    I started with a 1 watch life 15 years ago. Now have 3. Can't go back so would say No can't be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacchi View Post
    Come on...

I'd go with at least 3....but please try something else than Rolex....FTLOG

I'm my defence, I've had Seamasters, Planet Oceans, Breitlings, several Sinn, a few IWC etc etc.

I'm happiest in the Rolex camp though!

And Ken, it was your post that prompted this - and I'm on a general declutter in life generally which hasn't helped!

Blog Entries
    If you are on this forum one watch probably is not an option, anyone else, sure.

Seriously. If you are into watches why restrict yourself to one. If you do then I suggest removing your login from this site.

Master
    One decent watch is fine; there are hundreds to choose from, all entirely adequate. It's just not what we choose to do .
    As for the idea that a hulking watch like the Deep Sea is ideal for 'smart' wear.....you could always wear flippers with a suit. We watch enthusiasts get some strange ideas. The ideal one-watch is probably a simple date-Just. Kept for life. But how boring is that..........collecting is not rational, it is simply a harmless bit of fun.

Journeyman
    In a word ....no

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    One decent watch is fine; there are hundreds to choose from, all entirely adequate. It's just not what we choose to do .
    As for the idea that a hulking watch like the Deep Sea is ideal for 'smart' wear.....you could always wear flippers with a suit. We watch enthusiasts get some strange ideas. The ideal one-watch is probably a simple date-Just. Kept for life. But how boring is that..........collecting is not rational, it is simply a harmless bit of fun.
    a DSSD isn't that big.

Since my last incoming I have only been wearing the one watch. It's been 2 weeks now which is a record for me...so who knows?

People who have reduced to one watch have usually found that the choice was made subconsciously, not deliberately: they just discovered that they were scarcely wearing the other watches, and so sold them off.

I've never seen an attempt to force that process work.

Master
    Can it be done? Of course it can, but I wouldn't want to. If I had to go to one watch that I currently own it would be my 36mm Oyster Perpetual with steel dial. I think it comes close to being fit for any occasion. Otherwise I would probably opt for a Date Just 36mm.

Craftsman
    I seem to wear my PO the most , so this would be my fall back IF I had to go down to one watch. But would I ? , nope I would be bored.

Master

Cool

Well clearly it can be done in that most people in real life do wear only one watch.But T'Zers always have to have a 'next thing ' so giving that up would be a big ask.I doubt if can be done by will power,may just happen.Good luck.

It can be done.

Here's mine, the one watch I've worn since I bought it last September:

Now, there's a caveat (of course). I do own three others: a G-Shock that didn't sell in my Explorer-funding cull, and two Time Factors that I keep only for sentimental purposes – otherwise they probably would have been sold off too. None of them has been worn since I got the Explorer, and I don't really plan on wearing any of them in future either.

Now, I wouldn't necessarily say it's been easy. Just like Ken mentioned above, there have been temptations. Either I've seen something I liked or I just pined for the thrill of the chase of a new watch. However, when it comes down to it I've asked myself whether I'd wear the proposed new watch instead of the Explorer, and in every case the answer's been no, so that's that.

Top tip: It also helps having a young family that sucks up any disposable income.

Most things can be done - if you really want to do them.

Personally, even if I only wear a small number of pieces most of the time I like having a few boxes full of various other ones. Its fun.

I wish I could.

Even before the illness took hold and I became a "collector" I had several watches. Occasionally I speculate on what the "one watch" would be if I was only allowed one (I'd be torn between a 5513 and a vintage Explorer 1). But I would never choose to limit myself to one.

Craftsman
    Only one watch? I don't tkink so... but maybe a GMT master II coke bezel...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Even before the illness took hold and I became a "collector" I had several watches. Occasionally I speculate on what the "one watch" would be if I was only allowed one (I'd be torn between a 5513 and a vintage Explorer 1). But I would never choose to limit myself to one.
    If you go down to one I think may need to work out some arrangement with the postal service

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    If you go down to one I think may need to work out some arrangement with the postal service
    The logistics of downsizing would be quite a task. I'd be sure to send you an inventory though John!

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I'm my defence, I've had Seamasters, Planet Oceans, Breitlings, several Sinn, a few IWC etc etc.

I'm happiest in the Rolex camp though!
    Same here; though I have and have had others, Rolex is what I've been wearing literally 99% of the time lately, and it's been years since I've bought anything else.

But one that's often made me consider parting with a few is the AP 15202 (or the even-rarer 14802). However, I balk at its servicing liability and easy-to-mark/tough-to-refinish exterior. Aside from that, there simply isn't much else that interests me enough to buy; I'm not a fan of modern Patek, I've sworn off Richemont, and though I admire a few high-quality independents such as FP Journe and Nomos (their Lambda model is truly high-end), I know that I wouldn't wear them much. I've tried horlogerie stuff before and I don't miss it; no parting regrets there.

Likewise, though they're good watches, I find modern Rolex to be a bit charmless. I don't have a great deal of attachment to my 116600, so it's understandable why it would be the first to go for you.

If I were to cull down from the current dozen of them to just one, it would be either the 1675 GMT or the 16520 Daytona remaining. Your LV is a good candidate for reasons similar to the ones that I favour those two; it's versatile, uncommon by Rolex standards and supremely wearable. Plus that model provides a nice insert colour option. The 16710 GMT II is another standout among the 5-digit models.

Pretty much any steel Rolex will serve perfectly as an only watch, though — that's exactly what they're made for. When travelling, I take a single one and don't seem to miss the others. It's just stuff.

Master
    I have 4.

A rubber strap watch, a bracelet and a leather. Also have a G Shock for gardening etc. Works for me!

When you say 1, do u mean 1 high value? The reason I ask is that if 1 will be a Rolex it probably makes to spend £100 or so for when there's a chance of damage.
    Assuming this is ok I would say keep one of the subs and get a dw5600 or gw5000. That will be sufficient. The only reason this wouldn't work with the SD4000 is that it may b too bulky to wear under a shirt sleeve especially double cuffs.

I can't speak personally about consolidation, but what are you trying to achieve? It doesn't seem to be to release funds, as buying something better is an option.

It sounds as if the SD4K needs to go if it's your least favourite. I'm a great Rolex fan too, but the 3 watches are very similar, no GMT or chronograph.

If it was a matter of funds then a Rolex and a G-Shock, but that isn't your situation. Don't you think inexorably you would be drawn into the chase for something else?

I think maybe the thing to do is to ask yourself what you want, although that seems to be a moving landscape for most here.

I'm not sure I've been helpful ;)

Dave

Master
    I'm sure it can be done but... why???

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    I'm sure it can be done but... why???
    There could be many reasons why one watch might work, finding the right watch and not wanting to wear others, the amount of money you have tied up in watches and wanting to reduce that, not wanting the responsibility for sorting out servicing etc of watches that may just be sitting around, even consolidation for a watch that otherwise you may not be able to afford.

Grand Master
    I`ve no urge to own only one watch, I enjoy variety. I`m a firm believer in building a collection of watches that you like rather than focussing on 'the one'. They're watches, not women, it's perfectly acceptable to love more than one at once

I think people get too locked into one style of watch, a mistake IMO.

Paul

Master
    If you LOVE watches, how can there ever be just 'one' if finances allow, you need another, & another......it's a drug, fixation, obsession, but if you're happy with one then well, lets say, your not a 'serious' watch lover. I wish that I could live with just one watch, it would solve a lot of spondulik mismanagement if you see what I mean.

Master
    ^^ I agree with this. There something about "the next one" that draws me back in. My hope was, that if I convinced myself one was enough, I'd stop looking for the next one.

Impossible perhaps, who knows. There's actually nothing on my radar right now though, so maybe I'm headed in the right direction.

Ryan

Master
    I have to say I have now been wearing my black ceramic GMT II for about 6 months. It has been on my wrist for going out for posh dinners, knocking down walls, decorating and working on my car.
    I love watches, however I have to say, recently I've been thinking what's the point??
    I still love TZUK. Still love the Friday threads and I still lust after watches, but I have to say, I THINK I've found the one......
    For the time being anyway.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Piemuncher22 View Post
    I have to say I have now been wearing my black ceramic GMT II for about 6 months. It has been on my wrist for going out for posh dinners, knocking down walls, decorating and working on my car.
    I love watches, however I have to say, recently I've been thinking what's the point??
    I still love TZUK. Still love the Friday threads and I still lust after watches, but I have to say, I THINK I've found the one......
    For the time being anyway.

Much as I though after getting married......

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Ofcourse it can be done. Requires restraint and ability to maintain certain degree of detachment.
    A lot of people do relapse but it is certainly possible.

Craftsman
    It's like asking a woman if she could get along with one jewellery... not a chance :)

I had one watch only for most of my life (various watches replaced when lost or battery ran out, I saw a picture of me wearing a watch that looks a lot like a submariner but had no clue about them back then so was a lucky coincidence to be wearing a watch that looked a bit like a Rolex) , when I got an iPhone I stopped wearing one for years, wasn't until Apple was rumored to be releasing a 'watch' that I became interested in them again, and after deciding I didn't want a notification machine strapped to my wrist I got interested in mechanical watches.