Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
If you're not close enough to perceive the higher resolution, then it's more down to the other factors like contrast, colour rendition and motion processing. All should be better than an old TV in theory, but in practice, as the thread is showing, the big brands seem to be neglecting the smaller sizes when it comes to premium features i.e. its easy to find a half decent, adequately performing 40/43" TV, but it's more difficult to find a great one that displays HDR stuff properly (which isn't dependant on being close), and has convincing blacks/contrast.

I'm not convinced that the contrast/blacks on the 43" LG that I initially got to replace my old bedroom telly (a Samsung 32" from about 5 years ago, but an upper-mid range model at the time), were as good. (Admittedly, a bigger TV will show up the inadequacies more).

Obviously, it depends on how good the picture is on your current TV (and how picky you are about black levels etc), but newer isn't always better (as the plasma guys will attest),
That's the main thing that's put me off changing from my Panasonic Plasma (only 720P), the black level, colour reproduction and motion performance of most newer LED/LCD screens.
I am not fussed about resolution, personally. I'd rather have great looking SD and HD picture at the expense of worst performance and 4K resolution.