closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Speedmaster SKYWALKER X-33 Review - 318.90.45.79.01.001 >>>

Blog Entries

Omega Speedmaster SKYWALKER X-33 Review - 318.90.45.79.01.001 >>>

Review of the Omega Speedmaster Skywalker X-33

Model number: 318.90.45.79.01.001

This review comes from someone who is a massive space fan, so do bear that in mind

History and Introduction
    This is the third edition of the X-33 to be in production the previous production models are generally named as the Generation 1 and Generation 2. The have been prototypes leading up to the design used in testing. Some history is given here:

(pages kindly photographed from the huge Omega book at my local Omega AD at the Royal Exchange, London):

External aesthetics
    The watch case and bracelet are made from Titanium (Grades 2 and 5 links for the bracelet). The bracelet cover and opening pushers are grade 5 titanium, the inner folding clasp is grade 2.

The case back is engraved with the familiar Speedmaster Hypocampus but also includes an inscription indicating it is tested and qualified by esa (European Space Agency).

It has an unusual crown design that unlike a 'standard' watch, has no function when turned – rather all settings are made using the four pushers equal spaced on the four quadrants of the case. And it is designed to be pushed IN rather than pulled OUT like the earlier versions

The case is stated as being 45mm in size but after looking carefully at the website this is the dimension across the watch including the pushers - if the pushers are not included I estimate the diameter more like 42mm. It sit very comfortably only 6 3/4" wrist in a similar size to the Gen2 X-33 that is meant to be smaller. There is a slight size difference but it is marginal.

This edition has a black face with very legible LCD with three registers allowing for a variety of information to be displayed - and if that is not enough a quick double push of the crown shows a second page of information -

For example on the standard day display the LCD shows:

Page 1: MM.DD. YY HH24:MM:SS
    where MM=Month in digits, DD=Day in digits YY=Last two digits of the year (YYYY is actually stored) and time 24H format

Page 2: NNN WNN DAY HH24:MM:SS
    where NNN=day number since the beginning of the year, WNN= Week number since the beginning of the year

The red second hand moves each second and the minute hand moves in 30sec increments - and hit the markers precisely - Omega have done a good job here!

I have yet to get a total lume shot, but I can confirm the markers, hands, and 12 o'clock bezel marker are all illuminated. The hands are baton style rather than the previous broad-arrow style of the Gen 1.2.

Water Resistance
    This is not designed as a dive watch. However Omega documentation has some interesting notes on this. The echo chamber which enable such a loud >80dB alarm (designed to be heard over cabin and engine noise) is also a weakness and liable to buckling under increased negative pressure. Apparently without the echo chamber it might have been rated at 10bar. Nevertheless, it is noted to have been rigourously tested for water resistance and is listed at to be water resistant to 3ATM negative pressure. I have already worn mine in my local sauna - probably the harshest environment I will ever be in.

Documented tests (Omega / ESA)
    The Skywalker has passed rigorous testing at ESA’s technical heart, ESTEC, in Noordwijk, the Netherlands, where many ESA satellites are put through their paces before launch.

The timepiece proved itself capable of surviving anything an astronaut might experience – and more. First, it displayed ruggedness by surviving ESTEC’s shaker simulating the intense vibrations of a launch. Then it was spun in a centrifuge to reach seven times the gravity we feel on Earth, just like an astronaut might endure when returning to our planet.

The next step was to analyse its performance after sitting in a vacuum chamber with temperatures ranging from –45°C to +75°C, a far greater range than an astronaut would ever have to endure.

Finally, the watch was blasted with radiation in Sweden under supervision by France’s ONERA/DESP aerospace centre to simulate space radiation. Each watch was inspected visually and its functions were reviewed before and after each test.

Function
    Omega Caliber: 5619

I really can't go into all the functions of this watch - according to one site's description - this is how the movements functions are given: "Having flown in space three times in the 1990s, Clervoy came upon an idea for improving wristwatches so they could track mission events in a way suitable for astronauts.

The Skywalker's Mission Elapsed Time (MET) and Phase Elapsed Time (PET) allow astronauts to set mission time or the time for a task for any date in the past or future and calculate how much time remains or has elapsed.

In addition, there are 19 functions including multiple alarms with different ringtones, time zones, perpetual calendar, chronograph, and countdown functions."
    ref: http://www.gizmag.com/esa-omega-spee...ywalker/35197/

I have notice you can set dates way into the future - I kinda gave up after the year value went past 2500!

Everything s referenced from UTC (Universal Time Coordinates). Once that is programmed everything else falls into place.

Features I use.
    Multiple TZ - T1 is my local time = UTC+1 = BST ; T2 is office time in Hyderabad as in UTC+4:30H - is not affected by summer or winter times - I have programmed the MET to be from Jan 1st this year - 6hours relative to T1 (my local time) for CDT or CST in winter. I have one of the 3 PETs set to 1.1.2016 00:00:00 so I can see how many days to new years day. Also - Countdown Timer is also useful, Day alarm for waking me up in the morning.

The movement is thermo-compensated for added accuracy - I am expected a few seconds variance a year. My Gen2 is also (now) equiped with a TC movement and measures up to this standard.

Conclusions
    I am throughly enjoying this watch - hours of fun. It is quite a stealth watch due to it's 'matt' finish it remains unnoticed. Great to see it being used in the ISS and I can only dream of counting down the mission take off time while I sit stationary on my commuter train.

Thanks for reading.

The page from Omega

Martyn

Thanks for this great review Martyn.
    Last edited by Andy540; 15th May 2015 at 22:35.

Superb and congratulations. Any chance of some comparison shots with it's predecessor and side on?

Cheers

David

Excellent, in depth review - thank you!

Master
    Thanks Martyn. What a great watch isn't it. I know it wore incredibly well when I tried one on. Enjoy :-)

Thanks for a fantastic review. This truly is a superb watch.

Master
    What a fantastic review.
    Thanks.

What a splendid effort!👌👌
    Many thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Superb and congratulations. Any chance of some comparison shots with it's predecessor and side on?

Cheers

David
    Yes David - it'll be tomorrow

Excellent review, my thanks.

This is probably the only + £1000 watch that would tempt me to Quartz.

Master
    Excellent review Martyn, many thanks.

I never even knew this watch existed a week ago, but having read your review, my Aerospace is starting to feel quite lacking in features!

It does look superb as well, very purposeful.

Great review, really coming around to this new version, waaaay out of my price bracket though!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by futon river crossing View Post
    Great review, really coming around to this new version, waaaay out of my price bracket though!
    I don't know if this helps? http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/omega...hw8aAsYm8P8HAQ

At half the price of a B50 or the like, it starts to seem a more logical choice.

Master
    Fantastic Martyn!

I'd love to see a review section here where members posted things like this.

Really interesting - thanks Martyn - always good to hear what a watch is like directly from an owner and forum member. Hoping to see one in the flesh next week .....

I don't think I'd ever spend that kind if money on a watch TBH - the most I've spent is £1800 on an Omega Speedsonic Lobster and that was outside my comfort zone!

Very nice! How do you find the readability of the LCD? It seems to me these negative displays always look great in photos, but are really hard to read without direct light.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I don't know if this helps? http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/omega...hw8aAsYm8P8HAQ

At half the price of a B50 or the like, it starts to seem a more logical choice.
    found this searching about iconic watches. That's a huge discount...
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...yone-used-them

Great review Martyn thanks.
    Last edited by David@; 16th May 2015 at 12:35.

Master
    Interesting reading and a great review!

I think the change to horizontal LCD text transforms the watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David@ View Post
    Has anyone used this vendor - possibly dodgy at that price !
    Great review Martyn thanks.
    I haven't but many have with very pleasing results I believe. Not in the least bit dodgy. Also,they're not far from me if anyone needs my assistance :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Very nice! How do you find the readability of the LCD? It seems to me these negative displays always look great in photos, but are really hard to read without direct light.
    The LCD's readability is good. FOr example the wrist shot was just taken with my phone while travelling on my train ride home as gives a fair representation of how they appear in real life. They are excellent in day light, and good under artificial light. If the lighting becomes really poor or non-existent they can be back-light with a button-push - sorry I left that out of the review!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post

Cheers

David
    Some here :-)

Great review, thanks ! You might want to mention the loss of the manual "digital info off" feature and the appearance of the "power save" feature as we discussed in your "incoming" thread.

Also here are links to manuals :
    - "Paper" manual : https://mega.co.nz/#!S0V33B4C!vMFNEz...V5epQBanqK2TP0
    - Interactive iOS manual : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/omeg...872959871?mt=8

Great review, I especially like the pics of the early X-33 prototypes - I'd not seen those before.

Master
    Just sat wearing the solar impulse model at Trafford. I think they want it back off me though :(

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by webvan View Post
    Great review, thanks ! You might want to mention the loss of the manual "digital info off" feature and the appearance of the "power save" feature as we discussed in your "incoming" thread.

Also here are links to manuals :
    - "Paper" manual : https://mega.co.nz/#!S0V33B4C!vMFNEz...V5epQBanqK2TP0
    - Interactive iOS manual : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/omeg...872959871?mt=8
    Thanks for the links - yeh I need to do a separate review of the comparison between the Gen2 and Skywalker editions of the X-33 me thinks!

Couple of more info pictures

Pictograms for the X-33 Skywalker:

And the MASSIVE (and heavy) presentation box - goodness knows why Omega have done this - If I ever sell this one it very-well may be for pick-up only as the box weighs perhaps 2-3Kg (estimate)

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 17th May 2015 at 12:41.

Great review Martyn, thank you.

I haven't but many have with very pleasing results I believe. Not in the least bit dodgy. Also,they're not far from me if anyone needs my assistance :-)
    I've also used Iconic a few times and they've been very good. However I ordered a Skywalker from them 2 weeks ago (and paid a 20% deposit) and they've been unable to source one. I know 2 weeks isn't a long wait, but two weeks before even being able to confirm lead in time (with little or no proactive comms), when I was able to source elsewhere, for admittedly a little more cash, wasn't for me.

I've since ordered from elsewhere and asked for my deposit back. Not a dig at Iconic, just a heads up.