closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko Spring Drive?

Master

Seiko Spring Drive?

I find myself being mysteriously drawn towards a Seiko Spring Drive sports watch. There are a couple of interesting ones on SC right now. I know some of you guys will have looked into the servicing aspect and would appreciate any info on the subject. Can they be serviced here in the UK? If not, I assume they will have to be returned to Japan. How much does a service run to and how frequently should this be done? Can they be returned through Seiko UK? That sort of stuff, plus anything else that is interesting or relevant about them. Thank you in advance. Any comments would be appreciated.

Master
    "Spring Drive"? The name alone should put you off. It's nonsense.

And very expensive nonsense at that.

A classic shout hahahahaha

Would you prefer Summer Drive, Autumn Drive or perhaps Winter Drive ?

And why's that then, Monsieur. I'm intrigued ???

Master
    Ignoring the drivel above, yes they can be serviced here, as long as it's the 5R version. The 9R (Grand Seiko) get shipped back to Japan.
    Price is circa £300, iirc.
    If you pick up the phone, they'll tell you all you need to know.
    Service interval is recommended every 3 years, but the reality is 5-7, especially if not a daily wearer.
    Last edited by PJ S; 28th April 2015 at 13:23.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

No, it's not.

So, having owned such a beauty I can tell you it's a great piece of engineering, but as far as I know, some SD's have to go back to Japan for a service.

That's about every 5-7 years, but you get a very special watch with an even more special engine.

Dead end street technology?, useless technology?, or still a quartz?, you decide.

It's watches after all, all about emotion.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Do take a look at the Spacewalk inspired Landmaster. Rolex like GMT function in an interesting titanium case.

The Spring Drive movement is amazing. The second hand sweep is mesmerising, and the timekeeping is awesome. Couple all that with some of the best build quality in the world and you have one of the best watches in the world. Put one on your wrist.

Master
    Thank you for those answers. I guess I will have to seek one out somewhere in London and check it out. Where would be the best place do you think?
    As to the Landmaster? Yes, I was looking at Walter's one on Sales Corner. Thanks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Ignoring the drivel above ...
    It's not drivel to say that an industrial giant like Seiko can't do simple market research to discover that the non-Japanese name they've created for an expensive watch is meaningless in its chosen language.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Originally Posted by Tinker "Spring Drive"? The name alone should put you off. It's nonsense.

No, it's not

Daddel.
    OK, Clever Clogs. Explain it.

I think it's you that has some explaining to do.

Blog Entries
    I did, you only gave a meaningless cry in the distance Tinkerbell.

Daddel.

Master
    It's not drivel to say that an industrial giant like Seiko can't do simple market research to discover that the non-Japanese name they've created for an expensive watch is meaningless in its chosen language.
    What the hell difference does it make if the name chosen for the technology translates into their own native language or not?
    There are many words that the Japanese will be accustomed to using, that have no direct translation – so it's spoken as it is in English (or French/German/etc where there's no English equivalent – rarely).
    Spring Drive was never intended for just JDM consumption – the Seiko I have, and the rest of the SNR models, were all intended for the export market only, as a preface to Grand Seiko outside of the homeland.

And since when has it ever been a requirement for any company to have something translated for any other market – BMW's only abbreviated because it's simpler to say than Bayerische Motoren Werke, and none of us had any problem with Audi's advertising strapline of Vorsprung durch Technik.

So like I said previously, ignoring the drivel above.....! Get back in your box, and don't come out until you've grown up and can hold a sensible thought in your head.
    Last edited by PJ S; 28th April 2015 at 23:54.

You could say the same for date just, air king, speed master or rotor self winding. I mean you may as well put "Tells the time" on the dial. You could pretty much put that argument out for the majority of watch companies out there.

Seriously, you are going to let something as minor as that put you off such a quality watch?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post

Seriously, you are going to let something as minor as that put you off such a quality watch?
    Yes, certainly. Each time you look at the dial, you see a description that makes no sense. That's not minor.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    I think it's you that has some explaining to do.
    I have:

... an industrial giant like Seiko can't do simple market research to discover that the non-Japanese name they've created for an expensive watch is meaningless in its chosen language.

Yes, certainly. Each time you look at the dial, you see a description that makes no sense. That's not minor.
    So you feel the same way about other pointless or nonsense words on watch dials or just this one?

Or do you think you are king of the air, master of speed etc......

Grand Master
    A bit like "Seamaster" I guess. How am I supposed to master the sea? It's huge.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master

Get back in your box, and don't come out until you've grown up and can hold a sensible thought in your head.
    I can, but I can't explain Seiko's choice of the two words "Spring Drive" for their innovative technology. Can you?

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    A bit like "Seamaster" I guess. How am I supposed to master the sea? It's huge.
    Become a sea dweller or an oyster (technically the same) or even a master compressor.

Master
    I can, but I can't explain Seiko's choice of the two words "Spring Drive" for their innovative technology. Can you?
    No you can't, and this thread alone proves it!
    I have no need to explain or get to grips with the naming convention chosen – the mesmerising seconds hand does all that for me.
    I like the simple life, perhaps you should try to, too.

But if you want me to explain it, here goes:

It's a watch, driven by a spring.

More? Okay...

Just like an automatic transmission, you put it in D (for Drive) and away you go.
    Going too fast? Apply the brakes.
    Since the spring is always wanting to release its energy in an instant, it's always riding the brakes to regulate the speed.

It's very simple, and doesn't require a lot of hard thinking....well for most of us.

No you can't, and this thread alone proves it!
    I have no need to explain or get to grips with the naming convention chosen – the mesmerising seconds hand does all that for me.
    I like the simple life, perhaps you should try to, too.

But if you want me to explain it, here goes:

It's a watch, driven by a spring.

More? Okay...

Just like an automatic transmission, you put it in D (for Drive) and away you go.
    Going too fast? Apply the brakes.
    Since the spring is always wanting to release its energy in an instant, it's always riding the brakes to regulate the speed.

It's very simple, and doesn't require a lot of hard thinking....well for most of us.
    Brilliant!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Brilliant!
    Brilliantly simple, yes. Sadly, simplistic to the point of being uninformative.

Try this, instead: http://www.seiko.co.uk/discover-seik...y/spring-drive

I think it's a good name. It reminds us that despite the electronics on board, it is driven by a spring.

Magic lever on the other hand always conjures a smile.

Brilliantly simple, yes. Sadly, simplistic to the point of being uninformative.

Try this, instead: http://www.seiko.co.uk/discover-seik...y/spring-drive
    No I think its hilarious he states the blooming obvious to you (Just as someone else now has) something you seem to have missed.

Bit like you ignoring all the other points/comments on this thread.

Blog Entries
    Someone asked for advise about a SD watch, if he was worried about the name given to the technique and it being on the dial, he woukd have told us.

Now he get's non answers and is non the wiser, I believe this is called trolling.

Daddel.

Craftsman
    Troll,ignore.

I like the look of the marine master spring drive especially at the current price. I would be interested to know current owners thoughts.

Whilst I’ve never really ‘got’ the point of having a mechanism involved with electrickery in a watch, I can’t fail to admire the effort needed to get this lot working together...

Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Whilst I’ve never really ‘got’ the point of having a mechanism involved with electrickery in a watch, I can’t fail to admire the effort needed to get this lot working together...

Well said.

Master
    As the OP I was slightly concerned to see that things went a bit wonky for a while in the thread. I am really interested to read what people who own the SDs think of their choices. Personally, I have always been underwhelmed by Seiko, unless it was for their value for money, which seems good. I especially don't like the steel bracelets and clasps. But the SD Sports models look interesting, seem a real step up in quality and I like the idea of a lightweight titanium watch as I have grown tired of heaving hunks of steel round on the wrist, especially when fitted with a bracelet. It would seem though that trying one on in a shop might prove difficult unless anyone knows of a London store who might have them.
    Thanks for all the advice anyway.

Master
    Selfridges used to have Grand Seiko, in their Wonder Room (a Watch Gallery concession), but I don't think they have them – you could phone and ask.
    You'll need to venture beyond the M25, to see them – see where the nearest CW Sellors is (Jura Watches) and ask them if they have any or can transfer one from another branch.

Master
    Selfridges used to have Grand Seiko, in their Wonder Room (a Watch Gallery concession), but I don't think they have them – you could phone and ask.
    You'll need to venture beyond the M25, to see them – see where the nearest CW Sellors is (Jura Watches) and ask them if they have any or can transfer one from another branch.
    No Seiko at all now at Selfridges Wonder Room.

I think there very cool I've had my one for a few years now

For me Spring Drive is a fabulous innovation and technically is a far superior movement to a standard mechanical. I guess some of the purists may disagree and feel that the SD is effectively a Quartz movement but thinking about it - so what? Personally I love the smooth sweep and the amazing accuracy, what's not to like?

Apprentice
    The Spring Drive movement is amazing. The second hand sweep is mesmerising, and the timekeeping is awesome. Couple all that with some of the best build quality in the world and you have one of the best watches in the world. Put one on your wrist.
    +1,
    My GS SD SBGA031 accuracy is less than 1 second per month.
    The Power Reserve hands are very useful, giving you information on power left.
    Enclosed link to a short video from Seiko on the SBGA029.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEEutNvBYqw

Did I miss something here...I know that brand name (Rolex vs Invicta....) sometime does deter some potential buyers but whether it is so called Sumo, Monster or Spring Roll makes nonsense to me. I always call my blumo - "Roleiko"

Indeed to many, it doesn't make any sense spending that much for just a "Seiko". Please,, please don't try to convince anyone to buy a Seiko unless you're the spokesperson of Seiko.

Wana to earn the respect from your fellows, save for a Rolex and that's the reasons I got mine years ago.
    Last edited by seikomatic; 29th April 2015 at 07:38.

OP, I am not a fan of spring drive as to me the whole idea is a pointless exercise.

A completely mechanical watch is mostly for enthusiasts of that arcane style. One advantage being that it can be repaired forever with parts being made if necessary.

A quartz has far superior timekeeping with hardly any service or interaction ever needed. If the module goes it can be replaced with something similar.

Now the Spring Drive. It's a quartz controlled mechanical watch. So in reality only the quartz part governs the timekeeping.

It's a novelty but to my mind is the worst combination of both movement types.

Quartz accuracy with the tagged on ingredient of a pointless mech movement that will need more frequent service than a pure quartz that just needs a battery.

Also of course you are totally reliant on Seiko if the module goes.

Grand Seiko make fine watches but speaking personally I would rather have either a pure mechanical or quartz model.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

In fact, I'm not that care much about the +-5/s (day) of my mechanical watches, but constantly checking all my SD for that +-3/s (month). It's kinda sick.

Plenty of watches have sweep hands and great time keeping.
    Some of the best build quality in the world? = so have you tried, examined and tested all the world's watches? WOW must have taken you ages.
    One of the best watches in the world? = how is that quantified? And against what standard did you measure all the world's watches?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    In fact, I'm not that care much about the +-5/s (day) of my mechanical watches, but constantly checking all my SD for that +-3/s (month). It's kinda sick.
    You don't have to check, For once be a believer, You want be disappointed.
    Last edited by Fastdriver; 29th April 2015 at 11:19.

Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    Plenty of watches have sweep hands and great time keeping.
    Some of the best build quality in the world? = so have you tried, examined and tested all the world's watches? WOW must have taken you ages.
    One of the best watches in the world? = how is that quantified? And against what standard did you measure all the world's watches?
    Couldn't you think of anything more intelligent to say?

Couldn't you think of anything more intelligent to say?
    Compared to your comment with no quantifiers, or stating that it's only your opinion?
    Then no

Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    Compared to your comment with no quantifiers, or stating that it's only your opinion?

Then no
    Of course it's my opinion. Why do I have to actually state that it is my opinion? I thought that was obvious.

We've all got our opinions, and none of us (except you perhaps) have carried out painstaking detailed research of all possible options and arguments before formulating an opinion.

I must admit I neglected to say that I am of an age where I have been very interested in watches and owned a lot of watches over many years. I have owned many Omega's and several Rolex's (I still do) along with IWC, Tag Heuer, Audemars Piguet, and other major Swiss Brands over the years. I also own a couple of Grand Seiko Spring Drive watches which surpass the accuracy of anything else I have ever owned, and the build quality is second to none. Certainly some of the best in the world.

I didn't realise that you would be reading this and would require from me (and presumably everyone else with an opinion) a fully detailed description of their qualifications to support their opinion.

Well, that's my opinion, and quite frankly I don't give a toss whether you think I am qualified enough to hold an opinion or not.

Stop being so touchy about it FFS, I never suggested what I think about if you're qualified enough to hold an opinion. I have no opinion yet, but I'm forming one.
    You're initial comments IMO sound like a poor sales pitch.
    Saying something like "one the best in the world" is stupid without validation, hence my silly reply.
    Saying something like "IMO, one the best in the world" is also stupid, but at least it's your opinion.
    Saying something like "one of the best I've owned compared to Rolex, AP, Omega etc." is your opinion with a comparison, and isn't stupid.

And as you say it's your opinion and you're entitled to have it. And so am I.

No problem.

All the best

Blog Entries
    It's an interesting technique, a bit of a marmite, it's a Seiko, so it will be trustworthy the precision is not an issue, in (the very end) it's a quartz after all and you either get/like it or not.

As stated above, it's a marvel of engineering but doesn't solve anything, a bit like me I'd say, that's why I like it I guess......

Daddel.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    It's an interesting technique, a bit of a marmite, it's a Seiko, so it will be trustworthy the precision is not an issue, in (the very end) it's a quartz after all and you either get/like it or not.

As stated above, it's a marvel of engineering but doesn't solve anything, a bit like me I'd say, that's why I like it I guess......

Daddel.
    Its an Hybrid, And you get the best of two world, The qualities and feeling of a mechanical watch and the accuracy of Quartz