closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor Black Bay - Rose or Shield etc.

Master

Tudor Black Bay - Rose or Shield etc.

Watches are interesting, presumably that's why we are all here

Just reading up on the Tudor Black Bay in all it's versions

Interesting that some advertisers are indicating that the "Rose" watches will be more sort after than the "Shield" watches

would be great to discuss the various versions etc., as they seem to be attracting interest on the Forum
    just to quote one seller

"a genuine original Tudor back bay Red ETA movement smiley dial with rose logo model red 79220R which is highly sort after as since been replaced in 2017 by the Tudor shield logo and in house movement."

so which one do you fancy?

Journeyman
    Funny enough just been doing the same thing. I'm getting the 2017 Black Bay blue next month when I fly out of T3. Was torn between a used thinner ETA movement and the new version. In the end money was the winner as I can get the newer in house movement for £2191 with the tax free discount. Both great watches but I think the majority seem to prefer the older version!

I have both versions in-house and eta. I do prefer the In-house movement. But then I prefer the compact case of the eta version. The shield is good too. But then the divers helmet. The COSC certification for its accuracy.
    Last edited by speedish; 13th February 2018 at 14:08.

Master
    I would be interesting to list all versions with images

How about the Tudor Heritage Black Bay 36mm ??

Quote Originally Posted by Ewellblue View Post
    Funny enough just been doing the same thing. I'm getting the 2017 Black Bay blue next month when I fly out of T3. Was torn between a used thinner ETA movement and the new version. In the end money was the winner as I can get the newer in house movement for £2191 with the tax free discount. Both great watches but I think the majority seem to prefer the older version!
    I didn't see Tudor at T3.

Journeyman

This is the one for me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ewellblue; 13th February 2018 at 14:16.

The ETA version is hardly compact so the in-house version must be huge? What's the height of both versions?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by speedish View Post
    I didn't see Tudor at T3.
    I called WOS on Thursday and they said they had one in. I'm flying out end of March and the chap I spoke to said he would call me a week before to confirm I'm still interested and would make sure one was made available!

Master
    I started a thread about my ETA version (see below), I also now own the B.B. Steel which is in house. I prefer the ETA and because they are not making them anymore there is always a possibility they will be more sort after. Who knows. Anyone got a crystal ball?

Tudor BBB 79220B - great value for money
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...1&share_type=t

The popularity of the ETA versions is enduring, in fact a BBN 79220N sold on eBay for £3.5k in the space of a few hours yesterday. To me, the ETA reaches out far greater to Tudor’s past than the in-House variants.
    Last edited by WHL1882; 13th February 2018 at 16:42.

Master
    I prefer the ETA version, just not a fan of the riveted bracelet and the thicker case of the updated model.

I went for ETA over in-house, because it appealed to me in the most important areas – price, ‘smaller’ size, looks, future servicing costs etc. Plus I leveraged its age & display model status to get a hefty discount, plus a contribution to first service as well.

The in-house is a very fine watch, but I didn’t value the ‘in-house’ & COSC aspects enough to overcome the rivets, thickness & absence of Rose logo, ‘Smiley’ text etc. The Tudor-modified, ‘Top’ Grade ETA is a great little engine, and mine is easily within 1 second a day accuracy anyway.

The one thing I would value in the in-house is the longer power reserve, but then again I rotate watches, wearing each for maybe a week each month and then it’s back in the box, so even that probably wouldn’t really benefit me personally.

Superb watches.

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    Watches are interesting, presumably that's why we are all here

Just reading up on the Tudor Black Bay in all it's versions

Interesting that some advertisers are indicating that the "Rose" watches will be more sort after than the "Shield" watches

would be great to discuss the various versions etc., as they seem to be attracting interest on the Forum
    just to quote one seller

"a genuine original Tudor back bay Red ETA movement smiley dial with rose logo model red 79220R which is highly sort after as since been replaced in 2017 by the Tudor shield logo and in house movement."

so which one do you fancy?
    I can't help with your question, I'm afraid, but I'd just like to mention that the phrase is "sought after" and not "sort after".

Journeyman
    Agree - As ETA movements are discontinued they are likely to become more sought after. And cheaper to service - Easy choice for me

I prefer the COSC movement, but I prefer the older bracelets. I currently have a couple of the older Black Bays, and only the current COSC Pelagos - but will no doubt add a newer Black Bay shortly - especially if they add a date version in a nice colour for Basel, or I get the call from Harrods.
    It's just a matter of time...

Well I prefer the ETA versions of the BBN and Pelagos, as they are the ones that I have.

I imagine that if I had the in-house versions I would likely say they were my preference.

I do though prefer the Rose on the BBN to the shield on the Pelagos.

I prefer the shield logo to the Tudor rose. But I'd prefer them to decide which to use, rather than have the shield on the dial, and rose on the crown.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    Tudor can't decide,
    one logo,
    or two?

Apprentice
    Aesthetically, I prefer the straight line text to the smiley, and similarly the shield to the rose (although if the rose had matched the one on the crown, that might not be the case).
    All of this is convenient, as I've got the S&G version, and is a never to be sold watch, so any subsequent 'value' considerations don't really apply for this one.

I like the rose more but love the riveted bracelet on in-house model.

Journeyman
    The choice is pretty obvious - ETA version any day of the week.
    1. A slimmer case does make a difference when worn on a nato strap;
    2. Tudor rose and smiley text adds some warmth to the dial (IMHO);
    3. Oyster-style bracelet feels more solid and looks better than a riveted bracelet (IMHO); and
    4. Ease of service.

I’m in agreement with many on here. I prefer the older Rose version. Also not a fan of the riveted bracelet.